PeaceHealth provides patients with a tranquil place to recover. Make that several tranquil places to recover. PeaceHealth serves residents in southeastern Alaska, coastal regions of Washington, and central portions of Oregon. Its medical centers include PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center, PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center, PeaceHealth St. John Medical Center, Sacred Heart Medical Center (two campuses), Cottage Grove Community Hospital, Peace Harbor Hospital, PeaceHealth Peace Island Medical Center, and PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center. Other operations include physician practices, community clinics, hospices, chemical dependency rehabilitation clinics, and other outpatient facilities and services.
In 2012 PeaceHealth moved to equip its providers with genome mapping and molecular diagnostics tools and technologies by partnering with Seattle-based P4 Medicine Institute as its founding community health partner. (P4 refers to Predictive, Preventive, Personalized, and Participatory medicine.) Using cutting-edge technologies, its providers will be better able to predict disease and affect health outcomes in treating patients. P4 Medicine's consortium also includes as a partner Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
PeaceHealth and Southwest Washington Health System merged in early 2011, boosting PeaceHealth's hospital holdings from six to eight with the addition of the two-campus Southwest Washington Medical Center in Vancouver, Washington.
Under terms of the affiliation, Southwest Washington Health System became part of PeaceHealth, allowing Southwest to benefit from its larger peer's medical and financial resources. The move allows both health systems to increase the scope of services they offer in Washington State, where Southwest Washington Health System also operates clinics, a medical group, and a foundation through which it conducts fundraising efforts.
PeaceHealth was formed in 1923 by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace who opened the Little Flower Hospital in Ketchikan, named after Saint Teresa. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace had previously opened St. Joseph Hospital in Bellingham in 1891. – less