Pearson Employee Reviews in United States

Productivity, Programming and Support
Voice Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 23, 2016
To be a technician/programmer you have to be quick, concise and productive. Be a team player and willing to share your knowledge.
The hardest part of this job is to be on call and outages which can take a long time to fix. You get a satisfaction to help users that are experiencing difficulties and that you resolve issue.
Great Job Security
Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Old Tappan, NJJune 23, 2016
While this company provided a great atmosphere to learn the work life balance was not great. Worked many long hours. Also had to do a lot of traveling to different clients.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Work life balance
Busy and competitive armosphere
Senior Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 21, 2016
This is a company that attempts to stay current with market trends but doesn't always fully embrace them fully. People are expected to work above and beyond for minimal compensation and promotions are often based off of who you know rather then your qualifications.
Pros
Meaningful Jobs
Cons
Not a great environment with little job security
Treat people like machines
Program Management (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJune 17, 2016
Pearson used to be a good place to work but management has many turn overs and they bring in folks who do not know the business.

If you want to work 50-60 hrs a week and not be appreciated.... this is the place for you.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
Work you to death. Do not appreciate employees.
Strong education publishing company trying to right the ship
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 15, 2016
If you're looking for a company deeply rooted in education, Pearson is it. If you're looking for a company deeply rooted in changing education technologies, Pearson is partially it. There are many conflicting views on where the ship is headed, which makes getting things done on a technical level hard to achieve at times. Still, the products are world-class, so if they can figure that out, they can swim instead of sink.

The co-workers are great and you can learn a lot if you're willing to dive in 100%.
Pros
Flexibility to work hard and play hard
Cons
Work-life balance is hard to achieve
Circling the drain
Program manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 14, 2016
Massive, sustained layoffs over the last few years. No direction from leadership. Endless, soul-destroying reorganization after reorganization during which no one at the top is ever held responsible.

Most of the good people have left or been told they were "redundant" and fired.

Approach at your peril.
Pros
Work life balance is good
Cons
No job security, little room to advance, ossified culture ruled by cabal of know-nothings
Great People to Work With
Manager (Current Employee) –  USAJune 9, 2016
You will work with amazing people everyday and the underlying mission is wonderful. Reorganizations are a regular part of a year at Pearson.
Had good flexibility for family commitments, able to work from home.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 9, 2016
Able to work from home multiple days of the week or in bad weather conditions. Able to work with wide range of cross functioning teams and learn from one another. Management valued my opinions and allowed for process improvements and suggestions. The hardest part of my job was that in many cases there was no processes to follow so work was being defined as it was being performed or completed based on what worked for my particular program or what was successful for others with compariable workflows.
Pros
work from home and flexibility.
Cons
Minimal work instructions and at times poor management.
On shaky ground
Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 8, 2016
Pearson is currently on shaky ground. They have gone through a lot of layoffs in the past 2 years or so and seem to be struggling with contracts. They seem to prefer contract employees instead of regular employees which makes it difficult for individuals trying to put down and maintain roots in the area. Their compensation for regular employees is not up to par as there was not even a cost of living raise given this year.
The opportunity to help someone
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 6, 2016
This was a inbound call center, i spoke with individuals 65+ about Medicare and Medicaid.
I will look up info after disclosure is passed about what is and whats not covered in the event they are ill.
If the need medical equipment for the home i will contact DME to have supplies sent to the home.

This call center was very fast paced, took more then 60 calls a day.
I liked most about this job was giving the members a peace of mind at the end of each call
Pros
The hours were amazing, 24hr call center
Cons
A productive place, where I learned a lot
Apoyo Administrativo (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoJune 1, 2016
I started at 8 a.m. had great co-workers, the management was excellent, I learned a lot, like how to duplicate material, to use properly Microsoft word. There was no hard part in this job, I enjoyed it very much because it was a good environment with the co-workers.
Productive place with really long days (12-14 hour days are not uncommon)
Senior Digital Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJune 1, 2016
Great project - very long hours - company process can be tedious do to the size of the company. My team in the UK was great to work with.
Pros
Working remotely - flexibility
Cons
Working remotely - 12-14 hour days
Excellent work, yet temporary
Temporary Regional Scorer (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 1, 2016
Day starts with typical fyi on what will be covered and handled, then progressively checking information and revision of faq and sops.
It provided with an insider point of view on how material is handled and graded.
Management was professional and honest.
Coworkers we actively aware of other workers and assisting where he or she could.
Hardest part is it is temporary.
Best part is the ability to self express without judgement at work.
Pros
Encouragement and free food
Detailed and complex work experience
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 23, 2016
Very excellent place to work. Flexible work schedule, excellent benefits and time off policies. Very stressful deadlines but great teamwork work is encouraged which helped with stress.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
stressful deadlines, assumed overtime
Progressive Educational Publishing and Testing Company
Technology Analyst (Former Employee) –  TelecommuteMay 23, 2016
The most difficult part of working in this organization was the disconnect from country to country in aligning its goals.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Communication between groups
Great location
Archive Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMay 23, 2016
Freedom to develop processes in order to be more effective and supportive. Ability to coach and counsel new hires. An editorial environment. Creative and business management opportunities.
Pros
location
Cons
location
Constant change.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 22, 2016
Constant change with 13 different managers in 15 years. No career advancement path. Continual churn of leadership and management. Managers were assigned based on job knowledge, not on the desire to lead.
Pros
Close to home. Good work/life balance.
Cons
Too much churn of leadership and management.
Great team at an otherwise failing company
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 22, 2016
I love my team at Pearson. We're a ragtag group of professionals that tackles some of the hardest problems Pearson has encountered while providing an excellent service. I had truly believed that I could stay at Pearson for a significant portion of my life, however management has unfortunately failed to hold up their end of the bargain. As re-org, after re-org at the higher levels kept occurring, leadership came and went, leaving the projects with little focus and shareholders little confidence. At this point Pearson is in a transition to buy versus build and cutting to profits. With 10+% layoffs approaching, it's not a good time to be at Pearson.

However, I learned a lot while on the job and made some great connections. We utilized MongoDB on a large, 100+ million user scale and I'm not confident I'll do anything as cool as that for awhile.
Pros
Team atmosphere, open environment, ping pong table, work life balance
Cons
Management doesn't have clear direction. 10+% layoffs.
A well-paying, pretty good temp job
Scoring Temp (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 22, 2016
As temp jobs go, this one is pretty nice. Management treats you like an adult, but that means you need to act like an adult. Don't be late, don't return from breaks late. No cellphones. You can get up from your desk and go to the restroom or break room several times a day, and they never hassle you about it. Sometimes you just need to walk away from grading and clear your head. Your productivity is logged automatically by the computer, so they don't need to micromanage you. The pay is pretty good, and you can earn an extra $30 a day for bonuses. I am finding I get a bonus for about 1 out of every 3 days. You get graded on your grading, and that is where the stress comes in. At any time, you can get a robo-mail saying you aren't grading properly, and if that gets too far out of hand, you could potentially lose your job. So, it can be stressful in that way. Grading seems to be both objective and subjective. Some people will not be able to wrap their brains around it. If you are super slow to reason things out and very analytical, this job might not work for you. You need to think...but not too much. I don't know for sure, though, as I am grading writing, and have no experience in the other areas (like grading math). So maybe an analytical person would grade math well? Also, you can think you have the grading down and you know what you're doing, but then you start screwing up, or they put you on a different prompt, and that can take some adjusting and interfere with getting a bonus. I have been told that grading writing is the hardest subject by far. Not everyone who starts there  more... will finish their project. It's not always clear why someone stops coming in...did they quit or get fired? The employees include a fair amount of retirees, people between jobs, some pretty odd ducks. It's generally an older crowd, and I have found the people to be very friendly during lunch. Grading these writing essays, for me, has been hours and hours of some boredom and mild irritation, punctuated with brief moments of mild excitement and heartbreak. Most essays focus on the same things, and it's difficult to focus when a student's writing isn't cohesive. BUT sometimes these students tell great, heartfelt stories. Sometimes they beautifully articulate some really deep ideas. The projects might only go for 2 or 3 weeks, but there seems to be opportunities to join projects that start after yours ends. I have also heard that if you are really tanking on your grading, but they like you and you're a good employee, you can get switched over to a different project that you might find easier or more suited to you. Management really wants you to stay and succeed, just as they want you to be productive, which explains why the bonuses are not that out of reach.  less
Pros
Pays well, management is respectful
Cons
Somewhat stressful, can be boring
Constant Reorganizations
Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 17, 2016
For the entirety of the eight years I worked there, the company was going through some sort of reorganization that impacted work morale. There has been a huge brain drain from the company.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Lack of leadership and knowledge within the company