Pearson Employee Reviews

Senior Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Old Tappan, NJSeptember 26, 2016
I was employed by Pearson 15 years. I really miss the folks that work there. Overall, I had a wonderful working relationship with my supervisors, managers, VPs and coworkers. I learned quite bit while working for Pearson. There was also alot of flexibility for working mothers and the benefit packages were very good.

The typical work day included meetings (with internal and external clients) communication with clients via phone and email, and a good amount of research.

Unfortunately, Pearson outsourced many jobs in the Accounting/Finance area, which ended my working as well as about 80% of the staff in the Old Tappan location.
Pros
location, employees, always learning
Cons
outsourcing most of the jobs
Easy but can be boring!
Scorer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 25, 2016
Coworkers were nice and management was there to answer all questions. The work area seemed cluttered and the break room area was way too small. When I worked there, there were at least 250 people minimum in the work space, elbow to elbow. I scored for the Math portion. The answer was given and I was told to give one point for the given answer and zero for an incorrect answer. The job was super easy. Anyone can do this job! The hardest part of this job is staying awake. The most enjoyable part of this job are the coworkers and helpful management.
Good workplace
Awesome place to work.
Good culture
Good friends
Good Human resources
Right strategic direction, but going through a tough transition
Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Old Tappan, NJSeptember 21, 2016
Pearson was out in front in their decisions to move away from the declining cash cow businesses of Educational Publishing and towards multimedia and direct delivery learning platforms. Challenging markets, stalled growth in hoped-for growth regions, and accelerated cutbacks in print textbooks have made for tough going in the short term. Staffing reorganizations have created a difficult working environment for employees over the last few years.
Used to be good, went downhill
INVENTORY COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2016
Health benefits are still good, but culture and morale have drastically changed due to large number of layoffs over the past couple of years. Communication is poor.
productive workplace
Test Scorer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 1, 2016
productive workplace where meeting deadlines and standards is highest priority.
The rating of the tests as there are certain standards to meet on a daily and cumulative basis.
Feedback and able to ask questions where one is unsure of something regarding their work.
Friendly and willing to be of service to the employee

This is a temporary job so supervisors are subject to change.
Pros
I was able to work from home and make my own schedule
Cons
The difficulty of the work
love it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2016
I do my best to achieve all my goals and i do my best to stand out. working for this company has been a very good thing for me. i have learned a lot and gain experience.
Pearson was a great learning experience
Associate Client Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAAugust 25, 2016
During my time at Pearson it was indeed a great place to work; my boss was a confident, knowledgeable and excellent person, who continuously used daily activities to display knowledge and teaching skills. He was confident and therefore allowed me to be confident and grow within my position and within the company.
He believed in my abilities to get the job done and therefore I was able to grow, learn and perform at the top level.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Finance Director, Higher Education (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 24, 2016
The passion that most coworkers have for the business of advancing education through digital and traditional solutions makes it a rewarding place to work. Furthermore, it's a complicated and multifaceted business model which leads to many creative problem solving opportunities.
Pros
Smart and competent coworkers
Cons
Currently in a tough market conditions
Pearson was a leading organization with a great corporate culture
Director of Student Advocacy and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAAugust 24, 2016
Alot has changed in the past 2-3 years with our new CEO and reorganization. Although there is alot more flexibility than with other jobs, the company does not support talent and has lost a ton to other companies and industries.
If you like working for a machine...
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 22, 2016
Pearson is a machine that pushes down demands and does not support reps. Managers only want hear good things and will shut you down when you identify problems and ask for sulutions.
Pros
Some Flexibilty
Cons
They only push down they do not lift up.
Friendly enviroment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  CarolinaAugust 19, 2016
Everyday at work is different. Different dutties require by supervisor. Not everyday had to be at he office somedays i work at the office or school and sometimes i could be working on the road collecting documents from different schools since the company works with school activities.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 17, 2016
Fantastic work/life balance and a company that provided me with opportunities to advance to program management as well as areas in business continuity and information security.

I appreciate and value my time with Pearson and wish their new adventures all the success possible.
assisting customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chester, VAAugust 11, 2016
Answering phones to assist customers and their loved ones about medicare. checking available dates of their benefits. enrolling them into prescription drug plans
Everyday
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 10, 2016
It is a good place to work with good benefits. However, it is every hard to work around family life with children outside of the work area. It is very hard to get a days off.
Great Leadership and partnering between cross functions to keep up morale and insure profitability.
HR Site Admin., A &I Division (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHAugust 8, 2016
A typical day at work in HR is different everyday because you are dealing with associates,vendors, management team. You have to be able to prioritize and make the best decision you can based on what you know are the facts and what history is available..Always fast paced. There is nothing that can't be done without a little thinking outside the box and keeping an eye on profitability.

Trust building and relationship building are the most important lesson learned. Build relationships with everyone especially your management team. When you make a decision you have take into account what the impact on the other parties will be and if it creates a hardship find some work around so everyone is on board with the decision.

Management: be their consultant. Always keep them in the loop and find ways to help them achieve their goals. HR is not just a support function we truly are business partners and you must understand the business side
My management team meets weekly and discusses service levels, update financials,job openings and what is being done to fill them,plus marketing strategies,technology hiccups and new acceptance testing and any HR activities that will take place that week or in the next month that require the operations departments support,while maintaining service levels and ensuring associate participation.

Termination is one of the hardest parts of the job because sometimes the job is just not a good match, Could be a recruitment error. Sometimes terminating for cause is difficult meaning someone used bad judgement.. Hate Site audits. Processing death
  more... claims..

Easiest thing is seeing associates get promoted based on excellent training that I or Managers have provided. Having management understand how I am willing to help them run their business. Providing council to the Vice-Presidents of the organization..Working on cross functional teams.
Pros
Birthday recognition monthly, Awards for a job done far above standards, and Incentives for al based on scorecard results, productivity, and attendance
Cons
Not spending much time at home
Positive experience overall
Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAAugust 3, 2016
Great company with average benefits. Very non-toxic and slow environment. They think they are agile, however their SDLC is waterfall, due to many parts of the projects being outsourced.

For such a large corporation, they need to stop outsourcing and invest into Engineers, that is where dept of education will head in the future. Too bad upper management doesn't know much about the SDLC therefore, by trying to save money, they hit themselves below the belt. This company is the "BlackBerry" of academical world in it's prime. Unless the company pivots, not sure how long Pearson will last.
Pros
Flexible WFH policy, great work/life balance, great co-workers!
Cons
Lack of innovation, working on outdated technology.
Loved my job
Senior Art Development Editor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 3, 2016
I loved my job but my position was eliminated despite a stellar work record, I would be concerned about stability. Large company that throws around the buzz word efficacy but really doesn't practice it.

I was able to work remotely which made balancing work and life easier. My coworkers and managers were awesome.
Great company with excellent benefits.
Senior Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 27, 2016
Worked for Pearson for over 15 years. It was a great fast paced, deadline driven environment. New challenges created new knowledge build up every season. Excellent Benefits including dental, medical, vision, 401k, as well as employee stock and tuition reimbursement . It really was a great place to work.
Pros
Unparalleled benefits/ excellent work/life balance
Flexible
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 27, 2016
Pearson encourages autonomy and is very supportive of flexible work environments and telecommuting. There was limited advancement opportunities during my tenure due to restructuring but the company is supportive of development and continuing education.
Pros
Telecommute options, benefits
Cons
Limited advancement opportunity