Pearson Employee Reviews

Positive experience overall
Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAAugust 3, 2016
Great company with average benefits. Very non-toxic and slow environment. They think they are agile, however their SDLC is waterfall, due to many parts of the projects being outsourced.

For such a large corporation, they need to stop outsourcing and invest into Engineers, that is where dept of education will head in the future. Too bad upper management doesn't know much about the SDLC therefore, by trying to save money, they hit themselves below the belt. This company is the "BlackBerry" of academical world in it's prime. Unless the company pivots, not sure how long Pearson will last.
Pros
Flexible WFH policy, great work/life balance, great co-workers!
Cons
Lack of innovation, working on outdated technology.
Good Company Experiencing Bad Management and Lack of Focus
Operations Support Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 24, 2016
Pearson is a good company, however with their most recent CEO, they have failed to create a corporate ethos about what they stand for. They are going through a massive reduction in force (4K in 2016 alone) to help out investor confidence, but the real issues are rooted in top down, protective management and a lack of clear focus on what it is the company provides. Yes, they are an education company trying to go digital, but they don't "think" digital in many regards. They have let go of a lot of intelligent, hard working people and the climate is not good right now as most folks are in CYA mode.
Pros
Medical/Dental benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Management in CYA and job cutting mode, lack of clear corporate vision, stuck between print ideology and digital ambitions
It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
Assessment Specialist - Mathematics (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 31, 2016
After working more than 10 years at Pearson and surviving 4 rounds of lay-offs, I thought my position was relatively secure. Sadly, I was mistaken. After the shock of being laid off subsided, I learned that almost everyone that had been laid off in the last round was 55+ years of age.

If you don't mind working an average of 50+ hours/week, 1 1/2% to 2% pay increases and bonuses that are promised but aren't delivered, this is the company for you!

Also, be warned that anything you say to your manager can and probably WILL be used against you at a later date, along with being shared with other managers.

Pearson upper management views the solution to poor decisions they've made as 3 rounds of lay-offs within a 7 month period. Not real good for morale.
Pros
Excellent health insurance, work from home flexibility
Cons
Poor morale due to constant lay-offs, mid-management doesn't understand the word "confidential", work/life balance is non-existent, vacation time isn't honored
Circling the drain
Program manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 14, 2016
Massive, sustained layoffs over the last few years. No direction from leadership. Endless, soul-destroying reorganization after reorganization during which no one at the top is ever held responsible.

Most of the good people have left or been told they were "redundant" and fired.

Approach at your peril.
Pros
Work life balance is good
Cons
No job security, little room to advance, ossified culture ruled by cabal of know-nothings
cool
CERTIFIED TEST ADMINASTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MOJuly 18, 2016
Rate this company*required
Overall rating*
Write your review
Great company with excellent benefits.
Senior Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 27, 2016
Worked for Pearson for over 15 years. It was a great fast paced, deadline driven environment. New challenges created new knowledge build up every season. Excellent Benefits including dental, medical, vision, 401k, as well as employee stock and tuition reimbursement . It really was a great place to work.
Pros
Unparalleled benefits/ excellent work/life balance
Flexible
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 27, 2016
Pearson encourages autonomy and is very supportive of flexible work environments and telecommuting. There was limited advancement opportunities during my tenure due to restructuring but the company is supportive of development and continuing education.
Pros
Telecommute options, benefits
Cons
Limited advancement opportunity
Great team at an otherwise failing company
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 22, 2016
I love my team at Pearson. We're a ragtag group of professionals that tackles some of the hardest problems Pearson has encountered while providing an excellent service. I had truly believed that I could stay at Pearson for a significant portion of my life, however management has unfortunately failed to hold up their end of the bargain. As re-org, after re-org at the higher levels kept occurring, leadership came and went, leaving the projects with little focus and shareholders little confidence. At this point Pearson is in a transition to buy versus build and cutting to profits. With 10+% layoffs approaching, it's not a good time to be at Pearson.

However, I learned a lot while on the job and made some great connections. We utilized MongoDB on a large, 100+ million user scale and I'm not confident I'll do anything as cool as that for awhile.
Pros
Team atmosphere, open environment, ping pong table, work life balance
Cons
Management doesn't have clear direction. 10+% layoffs.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 17, 2016
Fantastic work/life balance and a company that provided me with opportunities to advance to program management as well as areas in business continuity and information security.

I appreciate and value my time with Pearson and wish their new adventures all the success possible.
Great work culture!
Quality and Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 25, 2016
Great advancement opportunities, and great management! Benefits are amazing! I loved my coworkers and the company really takes care of their employees.
A lot of places to expand
Customer Service Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNNovember 9, 2016
Pearson VUE has given me a lot of places to expand in, from starting as a test center administrator, working my way up to management, to being a call center agent there are a lot of departments for people to work their way up in.
Pros
Health Benefits, Steady pay
Life as a test Administrator
Administrative Manager/Leader (Current Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYApril 12, 2016
This is not a career. Works better for retirees and students seeking to earn extra money while in school. The pay is isn't great and hours are not guaranteed. Not a good thing when you are paid by the hour and you have a family and bills to pay. Do not make this career. I'm a Test Center Manager therefore I make my own schedule. We interact with dozens of candidate each day taking various professional licensing exams. We are the security part of the exam to ensure it's integrity is protected. The job also entails administrative work. In this job I have been a Test administrator, Manager, Security, a computer technician, a plumber, a handyman, a customer service representative, a coordinator among other titles. I hire the staff and I really enjoy working with my teammates. We work together in order to get candidates seated by the 8:30 AM deadline. Working with them and having the ability to work with little oversight is the best part of the job. Management is awesome and I appreciate all they do for their field workers. My one advice to Management would be to develop the field workers who are willing and wanting to grow. Do not keep good employees stuck in a position with no advancement.
Pros
Excellent Work/life balance, great benefits
Cons
No opportunity for growth, low pay, hours are not guaranteed
The company is losing it's way.
Content Producer (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJNovember 29, 2016
The people at Pearson are fantastic, but the culture is suffering. Management has very lofty goals, but no solid roadmap on how to achieve the goals. It's upsetting to see great people work so hard but get nowhere because the management is so lost.
High stress
Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 15, 2016
Good salary but long hours; not enough training after promotions; lots of travel; sink or swim environment; high stress environment.
Pros
Health Insurance
Constant change.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 22, 2016
Constant change with 13 different managers in 15 years. No career advancement path. Continual churn of leadership and management. Managers were assigned based on job knowledge, not on the desire to lead.
Pros
Close to home. Good work/life balance.
Cons
Too much churn of leadership and management.
Very nice job, learning a lot
Quality Assurance Specialist/Software Tester (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 28, 2016
Management could be better
Salaries need improvement
Permanent people have negative attitudes, some of them not very efficient.
Pros
Good hours, flexibility
Cons
Low pay, no advancement
If you love education this is a good place to work
Software Developer - TestNav 8 Client Team (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2016
Education is a rewarding field. Helping people achieve their educational goals is a wonderful pursuit.
There are lots of wonderfully smart people to work with and interesting projects to work on.
Pros
Great benefits, good time off, work from home days
Cons
No promotions, below average wages, work/life balance could be better
It was a nice play to work
Account General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 4, 2016
There were many ways that Pearson could improve the work/life balance. They did make the atmosphere very nice to work in but the work-load was way too much for very little pay.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Great people, great compensation and benefits
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 2, 2016
Pearson offers a challenging and rewarding work experience with great benefits and lots of flexibility. People generally work hard and are dedicated. They really care about the customer.
Pros
Pay, benefits, flexibility
Cons
Uncertain future, lower job security at present due to market constraints
Used to be good, went downhill
INVENTORY COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2016
Health benefits are still good, but culture and morale have drastically changed due to large number of layoffs over the past couple of years. Communication is poor.