Pearson Employee Reviews

Very productive workplace and was able to expand my skill set in many ways
Associate Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Upper Saddle River, NJJanuary 19, 2017
• Prioritizing emails
• Analyzing financial/data reports
• Writing/building queries
• Explaining the data to clients
• Reducing suspense
• Learning something new everyday
• Great management skills
Challenging Environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJanuary 19, 2017
- No such thing as a typical day at the office, which is fine by me!
- Enjoy working with colleagues across the globe.
- Most difficult feat is keeping up with changing priorities and business models.
Was a lot of fun at first
DevOps Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 11, 2017
Prior to the new CEO the company was exciting to work for. After though there was a 3 almost 4 year re-org that removed most everyone from AZ and replaced them with contractors.

Last few years day to day has been day to night to day. Lots of overtime, lots of emergencies, few people to cover them.
Pros
There was some great SME's when I joined
Cons
Those SME's are long gone, long with most of the morale
Very structured job with lots of support
State test scorer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 8, 2017
I was tested and trained to score written portions of tests that elementary students took all over the country. I had to read student responses and judge wheter their response met the criteria that their state set for them. I used very specific written examples to judge each score to give a response.
Pros
coffee/walk-around breaks to stay alert
Cons
temporary job
Good Company but a lot of re-organization
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2017
Overall a good company to work for. A lot of re-structuring, multiple times a year. Allows telecommute which is great if you desire that flexibility. Beautiful buildings and covered parking spots. Good benefits. Good pay but you do have to ask for it.
Pros
good benefits, telecommute, good pay
Cons
a lot of overtime but that is probably a given due to the constant re-structuring
Fun place to work
Quality Assurance Senior Representative (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 6, 2017
This job was very laid back and the training was very thorough. I enjoyed the people I worked with and like how there was diversity among the work place.
Great coworkers and interesting work, no advancement
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 5, 2017
Pearson does not pay their employees enough, to the point where they cannot hold on to talent and the turnover rate hinders teams. There is also no room for advancement and promotions are not a regular thing. The work is interesting and the employees are great, smart people.
No Room to Grow
Customer Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Hadley, MAJanuary 5, 2017
This is a great environment to work in, generally speaking, and the benefits are nice. Pay is not the greatest though and there is no room to grow. You can do three times as much as everyone else and never get promoted or receive a raise.

From what I have heard from people who have been here longer than than me, the yearly raise is often very low, last year was a half a percent raise.
Pros
Free Coffee, Vacation
Cons
Management, No room to advance
Great benefits...that's it.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 4, 2017
If all you care about are great benefits, then this is the place for you. Otherwise, stay away. The company is constantly re-organizing and letting people go....GOOD people.
You need to be "liked" in order to move up, otherwise it is impossible. Managers don't seem to care about talent.
Worked there for almost 8 years and was only moved around laterally even though most people said I did great work.
This company is only going downhill, unfortunately. Too many good people let go or just flat out left.
Benefits
Cons
Too many to list
Relaxed Short Term, Stressful Long Term
Q Product Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 3, 2017
A typical day at work was fairly easy, and sometimes fun, even while busy. Basically you sit at your computer and take phone calls. Most of them are the same, repetitive, easy calls, then there are a few hard ones sprinkled in that you actually have to do some thinking to resolve. Average call time was about 7min, and involved either order entry or basic tech support for the product. No 'selling' or outbound calls involved, all the customers called to order what they want or for us to fix what we've already sold them.
I learned a lot about division of power between different departments, and how things can (or can't) get accomplished depending on how well they communicate.
Management was atrocious, mainly due to our department manager not being replaced for over 4 months. We were left with supervisors to monitor agents, but no manager making changes to processes.
My coworkers were amazing, and a few have become friends outside of work.
The hardest part of the job was knowing how things worked between different groups, but not being able to do everything. Being forced to go to someone else for something you have the knowledge to accomplish yourself is frustrating.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the employees and general lax attitude of everyone in the building.
Pros
Relaxed day-to-day workflow
Cons
Inefficient communication between teams

Want to know more about Pearson?

Ask a question
Flexibility, good work and life balance
Sr. Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 3, 2017
Pearson is about education and providing tools to support administrators and teachers and for the students they in turn support. Pearson overall is an accountable company that strives daily to be decent and brave with the motto of "always learning".
Great Part time work!
Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2016
Pearson Professional Center @ North Gessner is a great place to work. Good atmosphere and nice coworkers.

Once you are hired, you are given extensive training in security measures and testing administration over approximately 3 days. You are also required to complete an exam to show your proficiency in the procedures.

The hardest part of the job is remembering all the log-in procedures and passwords once you begin to work independently.

The fun part of the job is meeting different people.
Pros
Great atmosphere and great manager.
Cons
Hours vary greatly.
Great mission, tough environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  USADecember 23, 2016
Pearson's mission to improve people's lives through learning is one that most employees really get behind. The recent financial performance and decisions made by executive leadership make many question Pearson's ability to achieve its goals.
Pros
Great mission
Cons
Concerns about management
N/a
Customer Service Professional | Sykes Home (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeDecember 23, 2016
I have nothing to say about Pearson. I worked with them for some time at a work from home position and it was not the best experience. Working from home was a pleasure.
fast paced, friendly and professional
Test Scorer (Current Employee) –  Worthington, OHDecember 15, 2016
Working at Pearson is fast paced and professional. The staff are easy to approach and the bonuses are great! The management are available for questions or comments and coworkers are easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was getting tired of working on the same question. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ease of working.
Pros
free parking, daily bonuses
Job
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 14, 2016
We got hired under a contract which got extended two times with no raise while doing a different position . The process to becoming a full time employee takes about 3 years.
Company suffering through transition
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJDecember 12, 2016
Pearson in struggling with the disruption created by information technology. As people have found new media and sources of information rather than books, the company has struggled to innovate. As it has failed to do so, it has turned to mass layoffs, outsourcing, and forcing former employees to become freelancers. Things do not seem to be headed in the right direction.
Pros
Not many anymore. If you can avoid being laid off, they have pretty good benefits.
Cons
Low morale, the folks left having to do more with less, and much of the work going to offshore vendors or freelancers.
Good company needing direction
Facilities (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILDecember 8, 2016
A good company, that has good goals and initiatives, but needs direction from the top. The current leadership does not seem to have the company or the employee's best interests in mind.
Sr. Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 7, 2016
I started as an Administrative assistant and was promoted twice during my tenure with this company. The benefits were great and was allowed to work from home, as needed. I learned a lot at this company and developed career skills that I didn't have when I started.
Pros
healthcare and matching 401(k)
Cons
Almost always in reactive mode due to tight contract delivery schedules
Very good company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJDecember 6, 2016
Pearson provides a great blend of work and home life opportunities. Work is challenging and coworkers are busy with their business. Business units are dependent of each other but all do get the job done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pearson. Our community is ready to answer.