Pearson Employee Reviews in United States

Detailed and complex work experience
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 23, 2016
Very excellent place to work. Flexible work schedule, excellent benefits and time off policies. Very stressful deadlines but great teamwork work is encouraged which helped with stress.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
stressful deadlines, assumed overtime
Progressive Educational Publishing and Testing Company
Technology Analyst (Former Employee) –  TelecommuteMay 23, 2016
The most difficult part of working in this organization was the disconnect from country to country in aligning its goals.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Communication between groups
Great location
Archive Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMay 23, 2016
Freedom to develop processes in order to be more effective and supportive. Ability to coach and counsel new hires. An editorial environment. Creative and business management opportunities.
Pros
location
Cons
location
Constant change.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 22, 2016
Constant change with 13 different managers in 15 years. No career advancement path. Continual churn of leadership and management. Managers were assigned based on job knowledge, not on the desire to lead.
Pros
Close to home. Good work/life balance.
Cons
Too much churn of leadership and management.
Great team at an otherwise failing company
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 22, 2016
I love my team at Pearson. We're a ragtag group of professionals that tackles some of the hardest problems Pearson has encountered while providing an excellent service. I had truly believed that I could stay at Pearson for a significant portion of my life, however management has unfortunately failed to hold up their end of the bargain. As re-org, after re-org at the higher levels kept occurring, leadership came and went, leaving the projects with little focus and shareholders little confidence. At this point Pearson is in a transition to buy versus build and cutting to profits. With 10+% layoffs approaching, it's not a good time to be at Pearson.

However, I learned a lot while on the job and made some great connections. We utilized MongoDB on a large, 100+ million user scale and I'm not confident I'll do anything as cool as that for awhile.
Pros
Team atmosphere, open environment, ping pong table, work life balance
Cons
Management doesn't have clear direction. 10+% layoffs.
A well-paying, pretty good temp job
Scoring Temp (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 22, 2016
As temp jobs go, this one is pretty nice. Management treats you like an adult, but that means you need to act like an adult. Don't be late, don't return from breaks late. No cellphones. You can get up from your desk and go to the restroom or break room several times a day, and they never hassle you about it. Sometimes you just need to walk away from grading and clear your head. Your productivity is logged automatically by the computer, so they don't need to micromanage you. The pay is pretty good, and you can earn an extra $30 a day for bonuses. I am finding I get a bonus for about 1 out of every 3 days. You get graded on your grading, and that is where the stress comes in. At any time, you can get a robo-mail saying you aren't grading properly, and if that gets too far out of hand, you could potentially lose your job. So, it can be stressful in that way. Grading seems to be both objective and subjective. Some people will not be able to wrap their brains around it. If you are super slow to reason things out and very analytical, this job might not work for you. You need to think...but not too much. I don't know for sure, though, as I am grading writing, and have no experience in the other areas (like grading math). So maybe an analytical person would grade math well? Also, you can think you have the grading down and you know what you're doing, but then you start screwing up, or they put you on a different prompt, and that can take some adjusting and interfere with getting a bonus. I have been told that grading writing is the hardest subject by far. Not everyone who starts there  more... will finish their project. It's not always clear why someone stops coming in...did they quit or get fired? The employees include a fair amount of retirees, people between jobs, some pretty odd ducks. It's generally an older crowd, and I have found the people to be very friendly during lunch. Grading these writing essays, for me, has been hours and hours of some boredom and mild irritation, punctuated with brief moments of mild excitement and heartbreak. Most essays focus on the same things, and it's difficult to focus when a student's writing isn't cohesive. BUT sometimes these students tell great, heartfelt stories. Sometimes they beautifully articulate some really deep ideas. The projects might only go for 2 or 3 weeks, but there seems to be opportunities to join projects that start after yours ends. I have also heard that if you are really tanking on your grading, but they like you and you're a good employee, you can get switched over to a different project that you might find easier or more suited to you. Management really wants you to stay and succeed, just as they want you to be productive, which explains why the bonuses are not that out of reach.  less
Pros
Pays well, management is respectful
Cons
Somewhat stressful, can be boring
Constant Reorganizations
Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 17, 2016
For the entirety of the eight years I worked there, the company was going through some sort of reorganization that impacted work morale. There has been a huge brain drain from the company.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Lack of leadership and knowledge within the company
Great Upward Mobility
Scoring Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 13, 2016
Each day was different and there was a lot of variety within the company and position. Being a business analyst was a challenge and there was little to no training. Management was hard to work with and not easy to talk to. Vacation time was awesome and we were offered additional days off as incentives.
Pearson is different
Scoring Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 9, 2016
Pearson has always been a leader in educational tools and training. This company is so multi-faceted that there is no one way to describe it. The testing and scoring centers are a great way to earn extra money while trying to find long term career employment.
Pros
Quick hiring, flexible scheduling, great training.
Cons
low wages, high turn over.
Not much room for advancement
ACCOUNT GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 7, 2016
Cube Life, Too much movement from territory to territory.
Solutions not ready to sell when they go to market.
Need better customer support.
Typical day is just endless calls - No time for true relationship selling, this is more tele-marketing

Want to know more about Pearson?

Ask a question
Constant lay-offs within the last few years. Work load continues to grow.
Account General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 4, 2016
Pearson is a very difficult company to navigate. Due to the turn over in recent years, there is no process for any work. Even within the company, the different departments do not communicate, causing a lot of confusion on roles and responsibilities.
Pros
occasional free lunches, gift card prizes for recognition
Cons
increasing workload with no change in pay or support, poor management
Great people, great compensation and benefits
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 2, 2016
Pearson offers a challenging and rewarding work experience with great benefits and lots of flexibility. People generally work hard and are dedicated. They really care about the customer.
Pros
Pay, benefits, flexibility
Cons
Uncertain future, lower job security at present due to market constraints
Great job until they outsourced
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 2, 2016
Coworkers were amazing, the paid decent, the management was horrible, no communication between employees and management, little to no training, high expectations without guidance, then they outsourced. They did provide severance when they outsourced.
Pros
Free coffee, decent pay
Cons
bad supervisors, no communication, micromanagement, high expectations with little to no training, and they outsourced Indy/Denver offices.
A great company to work for. Hard work and dedication are rewarded with bonuses.
Senior Material Handler/ Data processor (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJApril 28, 2016
A typical day at work was fast paced, always work to be done. I had the opportunity of being trained in all departments throughout the facility from returns to shipping. Management cares about the well being of employees.
Pros
incentives, appreciation lunches, health seminars.
State Board Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAApril 28, 2016
I liked working for this company and wish the positions were not cancelled from the department. It was a good work environment.
Constant lay offs
Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2016
Top management lacks vision and actual goals. Only thing they care is cutting costs without regard for production quality. Company is in overall decline.
Pros
Competent employees
Cons
Incompetent executive management
Very calm
InkJet (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 26, 2016
I kind of liked this place. It was okay. I the job was very boring and it was only temporary which i did not like much. I needed the money though. I did appreciate that we were able to wear whatever we wanted. There was a lot of problems wit co-workers. That was a big dislike for me because i do not like drama.
Good Work Environment
Technical Support Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 23, 2016
Good work environment but multiple short term jobs as a call center representative that do not lead into full time or a longer contract unless leaving for another part in the firm.
If you love education this is a good place to work
Software Developer - TestNav 8 Client Team (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2016
Education is a rewarding field. Helping people achieve their educational goals is a wonderful pursuit.
There are lots of wonderfully smart people to work with and interesting projects to work on.
Pros
Great benefits, good time off, work from home days
Cons
No promotions, below average wages, work/life balance could be better
We shrink wrap books together as kitts for customers
Lead II (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJApril 23, 2016
The work place is fast pace but rewarding, you learn to work with others and problem solving supervision give you space to grown, as long you understand this is business and not personal you can enjoy your co workers, the challenging part of working their was minimum.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pearson. Our community is ready to answer.