Pearson

Pearson Employee Reviews

Productive and challenging work environment; great benefits
Operations Business Analyst-Workforce Management (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, INApril 24, 2014
A typical day at Pearson begins with a To-do list that you don't always get a chance to fulfill until late in the day or has to be be constantly realigned to priorities. You are busy with customer and technical issues that you will handle with a First-Call resolution frame of mind.
Learning is unlimited. If you want to grow your skills set, you will. If you are satisfied to just do your job, you can do that as well.
Management had been deep in experience until recent reorganizations; but always willing to listen.
The hardest part of the job is knowing that communication is not always available to you. You will need a can-do attitude to get the answers yourself; ask a lot of questions, and think outside of the box.
The most enjoyable part is the family-oriented teams within Pearson. Your co-workers are interested in you and supervisors willingly work to develop you to be one of the best.
Pros
you have opportunities to learn more and constantly be challenged. when you show the desire to learn, you will be given more work to do.
Cons
no room to grow with pearson; there is too much outsourcing since 2012.
Pearson is an awesome company with many great employees.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 3, 2012
I work with every type of person in the education field almost daily. When we are in our peak season we have as many as 300 or 400 employees at this site scoring tests. I am here to assist them with any or all the needs that may come up as far as ordering supplies, setting up the scoring rooms, taking messages and repairing copiers or other office equipment. The hardest part of my job is creating the sign in sheets & timesheets for each project that may be going on all at one time. My greatest enjoyment is on the Friday of a very busy week is to get all 300 or 400 timesheets entered so that each of the scorers will be paid. I have worked with most of my co-workers in some way for the last 5 years and they are all very supportive when I am under a timeline.
Pros
benefits are excellent and we do receive bonuses when our goals are met.
Cons
i only have a 30 minute lunch break and i have to travel 1 hour one way each day to my facility.
Huge Co has figured out how to skirt AZ Employment Law
Temporary Test Scorer. Essay answers. (Former Employee) –  Tucson. AZMay 28, 2013
Upon Offer of Employment you are asked to sign a WAIVER that you will not ask for "prompt pay" if you don't qualify for a project & they fire you. Highly irregular. You also have to agree to a pay schedule chart that is obscured by incomprehensible jargon. No one understands it & management does its best to avoid clarifying it. When you get your paycheck it becomes all too clear. For two days training we were paid $54. That's $3.375 an hour, folks! Poor training. Impossible to calculate what you are owed for actual scoring. By the time you figure out you are being used, the company has shut down & moved on. Office support staff are all temps too & of no help.
Avoid this unethical company. Negativity all around.
Pros
one day we got two slices of pizza, but were browbeaten for two days prior about taking only 2 slices.
Cons
did i explain about the pay?
Productive and a fun work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNApril 25, 2012
Come in and Administer Licensed Exams/Fingerprints for Candidates and Students Nationwide over the phone.

I learned the true meaning of exquisite customer service and all related programs/licenses/exams/policies/procedures/etc. of the job.

Management was fair, honest and fun. As a new employee I received the best training and hands on experience.

My Co-workers were fun, energetic, focused and all around excellent to work with.

The hardest part of my job was learning and administering new exams/policies/and procedures to customers. My Audio times/reviews were very challenging. However, once I became more familiar with the exams and took every bit of constructive critisism as learning tools, applied them to my best ability, I became an excellent Customer Service Rep for the call center and each day was an achievement.

The most enjoyable part of my occupation was the chance to be part of one of the best company teams out there. To contribute and represent the company and to help people all over the country further their education and improve their lives...Every moment was enjoyable and my difficult tasks I took as a way to improve my profession and my life.
Pros
team work and helping people
Cons
call times and small bathrooms
Person Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INAugust 18, 2014
I worked in a call center environment. I had many duties in a high call and high stress environment. I help customers with any issues that had and help solve the problem. Pearson provides educational material to schools, school districts, individuals and parents K-12 and college level. I handled customer orders, found any product the customer needed, tracked orders, help with any claims, or refunds. I gave price quotes, spoke with schools about their massive orders, and used multiple systems to help assist the customer.

I learn a great deal about how to be the best customer service agent. Also how to properly help any customer.

Management made sure we had the tools to handle anything that came up on the job.

It was a call center and you had your private space but we all worked together as a team to provide the best service.

The first call was the hardest after seeing it was really simple it got easier from there. And also leaving the job was hard. I really like my position, my co workers, and the company.

Learning new skills that will help me in another position.
Pros
learning environment
Cons
no job security
Good Part-Time job when fully staffed
Test Administrator (Current Employee) –  Hurst, TXJune 5, 2015
Being a Test Administrator at Pearson Vue is a really great job if you are looking for flexible part-time work. The job is not difficult and you get to meet all kinds of interesting people, even if only briefly. The only problem is that in our center, there has been so much turnover that a 20-25 hr/week job has turned into full-time, which offers less flexibility. This is not a job where you can just call-in sick or not show up, we are required to be fully staffed at all times, based on how many test-takers there are. The pay is great for part-time work, but less desirable on a full-time basis. There are a few Test Center Managers who criticize the staff and practices at other centers, and that is unprofessional and frustrating. However, sometimes the criticism comes from their own frustration and it is tolerable. There is very little room for advancement unless people retire, and then if you get a job it may be all the way across the country.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, part-time pay
Cons
No real advancement opportunity
Great workplace with respectable management
Associate Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNApril 29, 2014
That call center that I worked in for Pearson VUE is a very nice facility and environment to a do full-time position in phone support. A typical day of work would include taking inbound calls assisting testing candidates with getting scheduled/rescheduled for their licensing certification exam. The management and coworkers here were all very professional and accommodating. The hardest part of the job was managing the phone calls from candidates with very difficult to understand English. These phone calls tended to go a lot longer, and therefore would subject me to more coaching from my assigned quality assurance coach. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to seldom encounter a testing candidate that were knowledgeable about sports and enjoyed expressing what different players/franchises they liked.
Pros
nice facility, good benefits, decent wage
Cons
commute/struggles with communicating with many customers, too much of a reliance on the functionality of provided tools/software
Hard work but plenty of benefits and perks
Line Leader for Loose Pick (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, Indiana 46052June 24, 2015
Each day was a little different. There was diversity in departments, people and jobs performed. Patience and understanding for all different situations and occasions. Management had an open door policy which I liked and all management and floor personnel talked each day regarding conflicts, issues and questions which would arise.People were completely trained before being let go on their own. Shift co-workers worked well as a team and shared the load to accomplish all tasks efficiently and quickly. The hardest part of the job was productivity goals with such a understaffed facility and jobs were physically stressing with loud, deafening atmosphere. The most enjoyable part of the job of course was the perks the company provided. Things like the good mannered competition between peers and management and the weight room, Paid time off and releasing people early with pay on the days before holidays and special occasions for voluntary community services.
Pros
each day was a little different, there was diversity in people and jobs.
Cons
The jobs were physically stressing and loud atmosphere.
Company in flux.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Centennial, ColoradoAugust 21, 2015
The company is trying to find its way. There is a transition underway from the old publishing guard to the new online world. Because of this transition there is a heavy turnover rate in all areas, Technology more so. The Centennial and Boston offices in particular have a problem

The Business Management is more on tract than the technology management. There continues to be a struggle between the new technology leadership on the best approach which continues to cause thrashing and uncertainty among the tech teams.

The PMO area is either non existent in some areas or establishing itself in others.In the areas that is has a foothold it is top heavy with a weak middle management.This is a go along to get along area

If you are looking for a fast pace environment this is not the place for you.

A word to the wise - technology is going places. !!!!!
Pros
Technology is current, co-workers great, flexible work hours
Cons
Pay is average, turnover is high. No firm direction in technology, Outsourcing is taking hold
A great professional learning experience working for Pearson
CUSTOMER TECHNICAL SUPPORT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTFebruary 20, 2015
Pearson has a fascinating and useful array of educational products, from K-12, to higher education, to lifetime learning. In my time at Pearson, my focus was in educational software for helping school-district-state administrators, but Pearson's dramatically-improving internal communication exposed me to many other products that can be used by working professionals like myself, while enrolled in college or university, and to follow my child's education (even if my school or district does not use the company's products).I was also able to participate in the implementation of products for the rapidly-evolving world of modern digital curriculum and tools, and this was an exciting opportunity.

Some of Pearson's most prominent products require massive scale and speed, and coordination of many departments to implement. Full cross-communication has improved dramatically in the past few years, yet still has room to improve and become a fully-ingrained component of the culture.
Fun working with environment
Professional Scorer (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAJune 15, 2012
A typical day at work would consist of a morning anchor review to help us better score the student responses for the day. I have learned how to think and score alongside the Pearson guidelines. This helped me realize that in order to succeed in scoring one must follow the mindset and scoring criteria set out by the customer. We had supervisors watching over our scoring habits, a site manager and a trainer. My co-workers were amazing, most of them were retired educators with great stories to tell during small breaks and lunch.

The hardest part of the job would have to be qualifying for the project. In order to keep a position we must pass qualifying sets otherwise we would be asked to leave the premises and hope to get hired on to another project. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be pay day. We were paid on a piece to piece basis and the average scorer would get paid around $15-$20/hr.
Pros
compensation
Cons
temporary contract position
Management is not paying attention
Media Management (Former Employee) –  Upper Saddle River, NJJanuary 21, 2012
I worked with a bully boss and HR had MANY complaints about this woman and her poor management skills. They still have her on payroll and I'm long gone from USR. The company has a legacy culture and can't seem to keep good talent when they come in. Retention for the USR location is very difficult. If interviewing, ask yourself if you can see yourself in the remote desert that is USR on a daily basis AND work with people that are not encouraged to thrive in a career....because you have co-workers that will wear you down and have impossible expectations that change on a daily basis.
I was happy to resign because I couldn't work with a bully and her minions any longer. That HR allowed her and the others to continue their practices will forever be a mystery to me.
Pearson has a great benefits package, but that is where the goodness begins and ends.
Pros
benefits are very good
Cons
management is poor, no opportunities to advance, cubicle lifestyle with mean co-workers
Perfect beginner job
Digital Production Artist (Current Employee) –  Mill Valley, CAOctober 8, 2015
A typical day at Pearson Education is quiet with the lack of culture in the office though work manages to be completed. At times the work load can be heavy all the way down to almost nothing depending on deadlines. Management has gotten way better compared to when I first started at Pearson Education. With the new management and the changes that already have taken place here I feel like there is job security and this could potentially be a actual career here. Even though there is the lack of culture here most of the people are friendly and are always willing to help you solve an issue. The hardest part of the job is staying motivated to work, since there is that lack of culture it creates a library like atmosphere in which it's always silent even though we are on a open floor plan. The most enjoyable part of the job is work/life balance. There is plenty of down time that you can work on other projects or even at times leave work quite early.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Job Security, Benefits
Cons
Work Culture
All around terrible!
Service Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDMay 28, 2015
Pearson gives you a mid start rate that was pretty good during my time of employment. The head manager was switched at least twice. Call center leads did not lead much of anything with the exception of a few. Inner office relationships were the norm and two employees actually died off site of course but still spooky. During high call volumes the only incentive we got was candy to keep us going. Employee stations were switched often, to keep you from making any good friends or half way cutting the monotony of the call center in any way in my opinion. Unwanted shifts often became mandatory. Any personal issues outside of the job were scrutinized to the fullest like a child. To sum it up it was definitely the regular small call center culture but worse.
Pros
Mid range start rate
Cons
Management, bad leads, high employee turn over, job culture
Poductive and fun place to work
Scorer (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAAugust 21, 2014
Log in, check with supervisor for current work load, grade level to be scored, etc. log into computer and begin assignment. Generally worked in 2 hour increments before breaks, lunch, end of day. Very little inter action with other employees except at break time or lunch. The most enjoyable part of the job was reading the children's responses to the various questions and their thought processes in response to ideas that were, perhaps, new to them. The hardest part of the job was giving a low score to a student who seemed to struggle through the assignment and really tried but lacked the skills to complete it successfully.
Pros
good work conditions, clean and safe work environment. helpful supervisors
Cons
assignments not long enoug, ., such as 8 or 9 days instead of 2 or 3 weeks for each one.
The richest education publising company of the world
Senior Story Artist/Illustrator/animator (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILMarch 6, 2015
It is an education publishing company focused on profit, and where its mission toys with education.
It has the industrial production line approach in its purest form: all work is accounted for, and where thinking time, creativity time is considered overhead or leisure time.
Its main asset resides in the people that work there, although there is not much time for human interaction.
The hardest part of the job is to keep up with the production quotas, or with the relationship of market sales expectations and cost: a hard model applied to a much less tangible mission of educating creatively.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the access to new software, or hardware, if justified correctly to budget. The pressure and expectations can make the employee highly efficient, at a price though.
Pros
great benefits. bonuses.
Cons
no mission besides profit. overworking. no clear internal organization strategy.
Manage Professional Testing Center, customer service
Test Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 19, 2014
We provide the site for a diverse multitude of candidates to take exams to qualify for licensing in approx. 200+ professional careers. Each career/client has guidelines for candidates to complete and qualify to sit for their exam. Each client's guidelines are unique and require detailed attention when admitting candidates for their exam. We are required to admit candidates according to strict security procedures provided by each client. Then proctor the candidates before, during and after their exams. All exams are computer generated. Customer Service is at a premium and expected to be "breathtaking". It is highly enjoyable work but not strenuous. Benefits are excellent but hourly pay is average. Upper management is varied and large. Pearson Vue is a global company. Communication with my immediate manager is outstanding.
I thoroughly enjoy this position but am seeking some additional challenging work and income.
Progressive Educational Organization Making a Difference in Global advancement Students, Teachers and Administrators
Executive Assistant to President PPD Division (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILNovember 29, 2011
Was part of Pearson Professional Development SBU, during enactment of "No Child Left Behind" rollout from Washington DC. Provides Professional Development to Teachers and Administrators with requirement specific continuing education for schools, districts, administrators, and more. Worked with annual book adoption process. Provided resources to global audience as to understanding of and compliance with No Child Left Behind standards and achievement benchmarks. Educated the Educators. Many University Partners provided night and weekend coursework to very busy teachers in a targeted efficient curriculum offering. Superior Educational Publisher and Organization full of talented exceptional leaders. Proud to be part of a dynamic academic team in an exciting environment.
Pros
ever changing landscape, cutting edge of education market, leadership superior.
Cons
confusing mandates, many "new programs", priorities focus difficult.
A creative and innovate place to work
Senior Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Upper Saddle River, NJMarch 21, 2013
Everyday at Pearson brings something new especially being in training. I am fortunate to be able to identify gaps in our training that is offered to our employees and then find authors and subject matter experts who can deliver training via a delivery method we term as a telecourse. There are many moving parts in doing this from conception to the delivery of the training to the employee. I work with no supervision to get the job done and it always does. It is sometimes difficult to find that just "right" person to deliver our training or when you do, actually be able to get through when you want the author of a book to do your training! It is always at the end of the day that I feel proud that I know it was me who gave Pearson employees training that was both enjoyable and educational.
Pros
ability to work from home.
Cons
my department is being dissolved and i need to find another position.
Innovative, listens to employees to create a better work environment
Scorer (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 20, 2015
Pearson is a leader in education. They provide courses for stay at home schools all the way up to colleges. I scored academic tests for grades 1 through senior high school students. I used proprietary software owned by Pearson to score and upload the data to the Pearson Network. Management always are seeking ways to improve the work environment, and appreciate all input from employees. Changes are made from the input that make the work environment a better place. The hardest part of the job is saying good bye to the people, every time a project ends. However it's fun to work with a new group for each project, as each grade and academic subject meant a new group. Pearson allows employees to score academic subjects at the grade level that each employee is most comfortable with scoring.
Pros
constantly seeking to better the work environment with employees' input.
Cons
benefits for scorers are not what i would like.