Pearson Employee Reviews

Loved The Beautiful Facility!
Test Scorer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 19, 2017
The Pearson workplace was great. The management tried to work with you and your life situations, that is such things as doctor's appointments, illness etc. It was a great opportunity to meet people of various past experiences. I enjoyed the work atmosphere.
Pros
Very nice facility
Cons
Uncertain work timeframe and less pay than similar job
Physically hard
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 18, 2017
A typical day at work was boxing, sorting and receiving school tests. The job was physically hard and repetitious at times. The management worked well with the employees schedules.
Pros
Good work team efforts
Cons
Seasonal layoffs
Good work life balance Usually, but unstable
Senior Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COJune 16, 2017
Company is going through restructuring, offshoring of engineering jobs, so morale has been a bit low for the past couple years. The leadership can't seem to get things right as they look to complete their transformation from publication company to a learning company. Pay is good and work life balance has been decent, but strategic direction of company is lacking. They probably need to replace CEO and some of the others on the leadership team.
Pros
pay, work life balance, work from home
Cons
unstable, leadership team
Pearson offered me an opportunity to calculate all inventory levels and trusted my judgment.
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2017
A challenging environment that allowed interaction with management to compile information to determine the most accurate quantities of inventory to maintain in the warehouse. Employees took pride in their work and accomplishments and it was a pleasure working for Pearson.
Pros
Bonus based on accomplishments, ability to work at home on Fridays.
Cons
Commuting to Boston in bad weather.
Great part time job
Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IAJune 15, 2017
I was only with Pearson briefly. I enjoyed the quiet office and great co-workers. The manager was a joy to work with. I only left because I needed more hours and a higher wage elsewhere.
remote scorer
Scorer (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 13, 2017
Pearson is a great company to work remotely. I enjoy the comprehensive training and flexibility in schedules. You are able to work from home, take breaks as needed, and earn good money.
Overall a solid organization to be employed with
ENROLLMENT ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 9, 2017
A solid organization to work for. Areas of concern are advancement opportunities, work/life balance, and management needs assistance in efficiency. The management tend to lack in ares of being on the same page in communication with one another.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Work/life balance
I would not work for this company ever again!
Scorer (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHJune 8, 2017
I liked my position as Scorer but I was harassed from the minute I stepped onto the floor, until I left in the evening. I could do the work and I was good at it.
little political battles means the customers' needs aren't met (both learners and instructors)
decline to state (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COJune 7, 2017
Instead of being focused on building really cool products which customers want to buy, and which help people learn, we

1. imagine science fiction artificial intelligence to be real, then get upset when the people who implement that stuff say it's not possible

2. keep going with bad products

3. don't care whether our products look nice, have correctly spelled words, or serve learners' needs

4. "Invest" in a branch of the company to deal with efficacy, but don't actually do any efficacy studies, let alone use that information to get rid of bad products or find more efficient ways to do things

5. continually rewrite to new platforms

6. forget that engineers are not fungible

My theory is that these things occur because people build little fiefdoms and protect their products and ideas at the expense of working across the organization to build stuff that revolutionizes learning. It could also be that not very smart people are sprinkled throughout (this is the education industry, after all). However, I'm fully willing to admit I'm naive, everything is hunky dory, and the falling stock price does not indicate a sick company.

But I get paid pretty well for not having to do very much work, so there's that. Plus I have smart, fun, interesting coworkers.
Horrible experience
Royalty Group (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJune 7, 2017
I was employed in the royalty group based in Hoboken NJ. Horrible management, absolutely zero mentoring/guidance, lack of competency and knowledge displayed by upper management, nepotism, cliquey behavior among group, low morale, unfairness and the list goes on. People just sitting around and waiting to be terminated as the SS Pearson is now a sinking ship. Probably at one time a good place to work.
Pros
Free coffee, could leave at 4:30
Cons
HORRIBLE working conditions in an open space floor plan, nepotism, incompetent HR department, low morale, incompetent management, finger-pointing, expensive health coverage, absolutely zero career growth
very unstable
Sr. Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Old Tappan, NJJune 6, 2017
Used to be a fun place, the company is very unstable, would not surprise me if they get bought out. They still have some great people, I hope they will be able to bring the company back, I wish them the best of luck
Pros
used to be fun, great people
Cons
let all the good people go, very unstable
Time Management
Associate Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 6, 2017
Friendly place with both management and coworkers. Can be micro-managed and your are graded on everything. They are willing to work with the employees if there's anything that the worker's dealing with.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Can be micro-managed
Super dull and mind-numbing
Scorer (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHJune 5, 2017
You sit there and read answers to the same question for whatever project you are working on for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. It's pretty mindnumbing but the pay is decent if your looking to make some extra money in the short term.
Educational Testing Services
Educational Testing Services (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 2, 2017
I've worked for Pearson on and off since 1999. In the beginning, it truly was a wonderful environment. I have worked as a scorer, a supervisor, as well as in management. I would say that in the last couple of years, the environment has become a miserable place to be. When first working here, employees felt as if they were truly making a difference in the education of students. Now, one feels that everything comes down to contracts, keeping deadlines, haggling for new contracts, and making profits. Management is lacking, and could care less about your complaints. I feel like this corporation is no longer about providing services for this nation's children, but rather, propagandizing the market of testing services. This place is literally a soul-crusher.
Pros
You will train on multiple projects if you are a scorer., Sometimes you will be switched to multiple projects in one day., There is no consistency with this job., Being a supervisor is nerve racking, and you can forget about having effective rubrics for guidance, because everything changes when grading papers., Management is lacking, nor do they care about employees., This corporation is literally only about making profits.
Cons
You can schedule when you want to work, provided you work a minimum of 20 hours., You can also work from home instead of commuting.
Fun place when I was there
Senior Media Editor (Former Employee) –  Upper Saddle River, NJJune 2, 2017
When I was there, Pearson was growing fast and clearly dominant. They were trying novel things, including my position, which was of a new sort. The upside is that I could make that position anything I wanted it to be, and they gave me room to stretch in contributions. The downside was that they didn't have a professional growth plan for this position and it was essentially a dead end at the time.
Pros
Fabulous minds there.
Cons
Very uncertain times for the company
Good benefits
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IAJune 2, 2017
I really loved working when it was NCS

I starting doing data entry and moved to a lot of different departments. Enjoyed learning all of the concepts within the company.
Pros
received good raises until the last couple of years
Cons
laid off while being a very good worker
Great Place To Work
Sr. Mathematics Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 1, 2017
You will not be disappointed. The management team and work environment in general is a very positive climate. I loved my teammates and manager. Give it a try!
Excellent Seasonal Work Opportunity
Seasonal Assessment Scorer (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 31, 2017
You remember taking the standardized tests in grade school and/or middle school?? Well at Pearson you are on the other side, scoring year end tests for elementary students. It was a fun time.

I worked the 2010, 2011 & 2012 year end school seasons.
Not The Worst Place In The World
Planning & Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2017
Once a goliath in the industry, Pearson seems to have lost their way. Posting losses quarter-after-quarter, dissolving a once rich and diverse portfolio, re-org after re-org, and the fear of the next round of layoffs being right around the corner have left this once great company a shell of its former self.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible hours/work from home opportunities
Cons
Trying to be a technology company with legacy publishing wages
Great palce to work!
Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 30, 2017
A work place where you come cross different people. There is no hard part in my opinion. You are obligated to provide a safe place for clients to take their test and receive results when done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pearson. Our community is ready to answer.