Pearson

Pearson Employee Reviews

This is a good temporary entry level job
TEST ADMINISTRATOR/PROCTOR (Former Employee), Hurst TexasJune 6, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: undependable pay
this job is not one that you would depend on to make a living. The hours depend on how many people want to test and when. The environment is very controlled and can be stressful. Physical demands are low , but it can be mentally challenging
Good Part-Time job when fully staffed
Test Administrator (Current Employee), Hurst, TXJune 5, 2015
Pros: Flexible scheduling, part-time pay
Cons: No real advancement opportunity
Being a Test Administrator at Pearson Vue is a really great job if you are looking for flexible part-time work. The job is not difficult and you get to meet all kinds of interesting people, even if only briefly. The only problem is that in our center, there has been so much turnover that a 20-25 hr/week job has turned into full-time, which offers less flexibility. This is not a job where you can just call-in sick or not show up, we are required to be fully staffed at all times, based on how many test-takers there are. The pay is great for part-time work, but less desirable on a full-time basis. There are a few Test Center Managers who criticize the staff and practices at other centers, and that is unprofessional and frustrating. However, sometimes the criticism comes from their own frustration and it is tolerable. There is very little room for advancement unless people retire, and then if you get a job it may be all the way across the country.
Fun place to work that was family friendly
Clerk III (Former Employee), Lebanon, InJune 4, 2015
Pros: on site cafe and work out facilities
Cons: alot of people lost jobs in a company restructure
Part of what I loved about working at Pearson was, there was no typical day. Since I was cross trained in several positions, I was able to come in every day and see what needed done and just hop in and do it. I learned many things there. How to problem solve in the tracing and tracking dept. How to run an outgoing mail machine and mail sorter for incoming mail. How to run our invoice inserter. I also was able to process UPS and Fed Ex shipments. The hardest part of my job was training someone who had no experience in the type of work we did. And it wasn't really hard, just challenging to make sure I was being clear and the trainee understood what I was teaching them before I left them on their own. the most enjoyable part was that I grew very close to my coworkers and because we all spent so much time together, we were like a family. We were able to get the job done and manage to have a little fun while we did it. Pearson allowed us to do training and team building workshops and lunch and learn seminars. I really enjoyed the diversity in my coworkers.
able to help walk ins
Service Specialist II (Former Employee), Landover, MDJune 3, 2015
Pros: Bilingual
Cons: short staff
Solving issues related to technical problems and complaints.
Instructing and guiding candidates for any Pearson Vue website question. Working with new customers in the development of new accounts and the implementation of policies and procedures. Creating monthly reports for all renewal notices and license certificates.
coworkers were team players and knew their job pretty well
hardes part was to decide if to move with the Co to another state or to get a new job.
most enjoyable part was to help walk ins to translate in spanish.
Neat clean and quite enviroment
Scorer (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 31, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Pearson was a nice place to work for. Environment was well organized. I liked this job also because I worked on my own. Company allowed you to take your break when you chose to.
I liked the idea that this company had flexible hours, at longest you put in the hours you are hired for.

The only thing that I seen where it would of made it more pleasant, was if the training would of been a little more clear as far as how to work the software. I believe this would of helped a lot of individuals get a faster jump start on the projects.
Interesting working environment
Test Administrator (Current Employee), san diego, caMay 29, 2015
My typical day consists of making sure people don't cheat on very important job specific tests. I sit and watch cameras, help cadidates with any questions, admits people to test.
All around terrible!
Service Specialist III (Former Employee), Landover, MDMay 28, 2015
Pros: Mid range start rate
Cons: Management, bad leads, high employee turn over, job culture
Pearson gives you a mid start rate that was pretty good during my time of employment. The head manager was switched at least twice. Call center leads did not lead much of anything with the exception of a few. Inner office relationships were the norm and two employees actually died off site of course but still spooky. During high call volumes the only incentive we got was candy to keep us going. Employee stations were switched often, to keep you from making any good friends or half way cutting the monotony of the call center in any way in my opinion. Unwanted shifts often became mandatory. Any personal issues outside of the job were scrutinized to the fullest like a child. To sum it up it was definitely the regular small call center culture but worse.
Good Place to Work
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TexasMay 27, 2015
Pearson doesn't feel as 'corporate' as some of the publishing companies I've worked for. The people are nice, the work is challenging but not overwhelming. The benefits are decent but I feel the salaries are not competitive when compared to equal positions in other publishing companies.
Lovely office, great work environment as well as location!
Instructional Designer (Current Employee), Centennial, COMay 22, 2015
I enjoy working with Pearson. The people are wonderful too. The Centennial location is within the Street of Southglenn, which is almost unbeatable!
Great company to work for.
Editorial Assistant (Current Employee), Hoboken, NJMay 15, 2015
I learned so much in the short time I've been working with Pearson. Everyone is helpful and willing to work with me to help me understand the tasks assigned. Great work/life balance.
Enjoyed my time at Pearson
QA Quality Assurance (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAMay 5, 2015
Learning and sharpening skills are encouraged at Pearson. A team of employees that work well together. A well rounded work and home life is also encouraged.
Long standing educational company that continues to provide solid resources.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Florence, ALMay 4, 2015
Pros: Great pay and benefits.
Cons: Always on the road.
I enjoyed my time at Pearson. The only thing that go old was always having to travel and be away from family. The pay was great and I loved my supervisor.
Uncertain Future
Associate Editor (Current Employee), Glenview, ILMay 3, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and flexible time off; Some of the smartest, nicest people I've ever worked with
Cons: Few chances for advancement; Permanent positions are not given based on merit, but on profits; Minimal merit raises; Too willing to let errors into materials
Pearson is a global leader in educational publishing. Unfortunately, while the brand itself is generally well-respected, the benefits of its hold on the industry don't always find their way to the in-house staff. There is very little transparency in terms of an employee's future with the company, and at least in my department, the only feedback about progress comes in the very impersonal form of the yearly review. This is somewhat difficult to accept, as the review is written by someone that you know is only 100 feet away, and who has (by no fault of his or her own) been too overwhelmed with their own work load to talk to you about your work throughout the year. This creates something of an unhappy culture around the office, in terms of management interaction. It's not to say that good work is not its own reward, but there is room in any company for consistent appreciation of employees' effort.
Excellent working environment. Great benefits.
CSR/Tier2 Senior Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee), Centennial, COApril 30, 2015
The culture is accepts of everyone. Management works closely with employees to make sure everyone goals are obtained. Most definitely a company geared towards learning and career and personal growth.
Great company that is always changing
Director, Product Management (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 29, 2015
Pearson is a great company with an honorable mission to improve teaching and learning. This mission is core to the leadership and the many wonderful people who work for Pearson.

Pearson is a very large company that has evolved significantly over the past 10 years from a print based publishing company to a solutions company.

It has gone through many periods of growing pains and struggles with US Education reform.
Fun place to work
Contractor (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 28, 2015
The management is pretty transparent. Peers are very good and helpful. Do your job and nobody bothers you. Once a while, team get-together happen outside office to ensure that healthy interactions start-off.
N/A
HR Representative (Current Employee), Cranbury, NJApril 28, 2015
The company gives many opportunities to employees as well as their benefits are good. also, their working hours are flexible they have three shifts.
A real nightmare
temp scorer (Former Employee), ArizonaApril 27, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything
I agree whole-heartedly with the Mesa scorer:
"
Pros: I'll never see the inside of that place again

Cons: Have a seat, get some popcorn, and read on

Left to my own devices, I could never have imagined the level of corporate incompetence that I encountered in the Pearson employees at this scoring center.

My payroll checks were incorrect, having errors in
1) the type of pay owed per type of work performed, and
2) the payroll deduction choices that I carefully specified when signing on with them.

IT, HR, and management were lost in space and either messed up or did nothing at all. The attrition rate of the scorers at this center was frighteningly high, which is as it should be; nobody with a shred of dignity wanted that low-paying job to be extended. Although many scorers were highly educated and thoroughly professional, a large number of people took the job because they couldn't get anything else at the time. This contributed to demoralized conversation on breaks and during the generous half-hour lunch.

This job was the dictionary definition of frustration; fortunately the position was short term, and I'll never do it again."

It's been over 1 yr and I still have not been paid. Plus the HR and managers have no problem lying and mouthing off. Pearson has no regard for labor laws or its contract with the states that contract with them.

Challenging, fast paced work
Program Manager (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAApril 25, 2015
The work is interesting, challenging, and fast paced. The company is going through some re-structuring which some are finding challenging.
Good Benefits
Application Developer (Former Employee), Lakewood, NJApril 23, 2015
Overall a good company to work for. The benefits are great and they treat their employees pretty well. As in most companies too many meetings.
Employees