Pearson Employee Reviews

Professional workplace with good administrative support
Scorer (Former Employee) –  WorthigntonMarch 31, 2017
This company provides it's staff with sufficient training and support. After training is completed, the supervision continues on a daily basis to ensure that scorers are accurate and consistent. This is a sitting, high pressure job but was enjoyable. The only drawback is that it is temporary and could not support full-time employment.
Pros
management support
Cons
temporary; high pressure
Awesome Seasonal Position
Bartender/Waitress/Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 30, 2017
I enjoyed working with this company seasonally. It was a great work environment, great compensation, and constantly changing with each project so you never get bored.
Wonderful seasonal employment
Educational Standardized Test Scorer-Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 30, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working for this company seasonally. I enjoyed the fact that each project was different and that what we were doing was important for students.
Great people and collaborative atmosphere
Editorial Assistant for Service Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 30, 2017
The best thing about Pearson is the people I work with. Everyone is so positive and driven no matter what the economy or senior leadership throws at us.
Do not work here!
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 30, 2017
Everyone who has worked or currently works at Pearson calls it the Titanic because it is a sinking ship. Leadership does not know what they are doing and there is absolutely no job security. I had 13 managers in 10 years and each manager had to re-invent the wheel and it was extremely frustrating. So glad I'm out!
Pros
Cons
Unlimited
n/a
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 27, 2017
seasonal job.
3 shifts.
fun people to work with.
advancement and growth.
different things to do and learn.
decent pay.
management is friendly
referrals
Face paced fun environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Lake, NJMarch 27, 2017
A typical day would consist of working on a line to pack books in a box to be shipped out. Also working on the computer to create labels for the boxes, and scan books when they come in and place them in the right place.
not so great
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 26, 2017
this job was an ok job but I began having anxiety attacks and my health became an issue so I had to leave this job the work was alright though i was able to manage the work
Pros
nothing
Cons
no good pay
Channel Quality Specialist
Channel Quality Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 22, 2017
International business experience

Flexible hours

Average pay

Opportunities for advancement

Paid education opportunities

3 weeks paid vacation and 1 week sick days
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Average compensation
Pearson - Restructuring
VP (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 20, 2017
Lots of change over the last few years. All in all on the upswing after some difficult market adjustments. Good people to work with and some work life balance
Temporary employment opportunity
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 20, 2017
Occasional employment with Pearson over the last 18 years. Good comradery from employees. Exposure to evaluations of student demographic. Complex detail environment.
Professional, Rewarding, Challenging and Fun place to work
Educational Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 20, 2017
During selling seasons days are spent on campus promoting and selling Pearson content and technology to professors. Everyday is a learning experience in a fast-paced and ever changing environment navigating higher education. During the summer season the job shifts into more project management assisting faculty with implementation, training and support around future courses.
Pros
Flexible, dynamic, fun opportunities to grow professionally and personally
Cons
Demanding deadlines, heavy work volume, high turnover
Great Culture
Senior Strategic Customer Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 15, 2017
Very good work life balance! They hire incredible people. Benefits are very good. They are constantly looking for ways to reorganize which makes things tough at times.
Management (Current Employee) –  MarylandMarch 14, 2017
Great culture and solid leadership. Connections Education was purchased by Pearson and they have been able to maintain a progressive culture that values the health of the workplace.
Pros
Work from home, people, environment
Cons
Pay, benefits
Good company with excellent benefits
Senior Account Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 13, 2017
During my career here at Pearson, I have acquired many different skills that led to my further promotions within the same organization. Being with the company I have acquired the knowledge and ability to implement a major software from point of sale to payment. In addition I worked as a print procurement manager, learning the printing process, scheduling and delivery of materials. As well as implementing a quality standard for our print suppliers. As a program manager I managed one state with 3 separate contracts. As that program was nearing the end of the life cycle, I was able to move to another state contract, and successfully worked with internal and external teams to ensure the online implementation of their statewide assessment test online.
Pros
Was able to work remotely
Cons
Reorganization
Temporary job with great pay
2nd Shift Packaging (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 10, 2017
I liked working here, but it was only temporary. I heard from other employees that this company doesn't hire full time people. It's mostly just regular people who come in and do the work. Everyone is let go after the busy season is over and the company does a new rehire, sometimes they bring old employees back if they did a good job, and other times they hire new people. Some managers are very strict, others are very fun to work with. The pay is amazing! Breaks are organized perfectly and after break is over they do stretches which is a great idea since most of the work is standing and lifting boxes of books onto the belt to be shipped. It's a great job is you don't mind standing up all day, scanning books and packing boxes.
Pros
Pay, coworkers, breaks
Cons
on your feet all day, strict management, only temporary work
Critical Perason Review
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 9, 2017
Pearson has been plagued by ever-evolving business models and reactions to the digital publishing market as a whole over the past decade. Their response to the changes has been slow (lumbering) and often misdirected, which is illustrated by "restructuring" and layoffs three times in six years, in 2011, 2013, and 2016.

While the work/social culture is moderately relaxed, the feeling of security has disappeared with the second round of restructuring in 2013, as Pearson has continued to struggle for market-share and positioning in the global electronic publishing market, that is also highly competitive, in the midst of change, and being pursued by smaller more agile competitors.

The work load and expectation is stressful, and management support is variable, from really good at the small team tactical level, to somewhat bad and primitive (I've had to request that my manager calm down, and lower his voice on two occasions) at middle management level. Many non-management level employees experience fear at management/middle-management levels.

The company is mammoth, with approx 38,000 employees world wide, so the feeling of being a "just a number" is present. While they offer good benefits that are well administered, compensation is behind market norms, with ongoing excuses for not offering competitive pay.

They say they invite and reward initiative and "outside the box" thinking, but I have experienced the opposite. Do not trust stated claims on corporate website, some of which are outright misinformation (although they have recently republished in removed glaring inconsistencies).
  more... I know this from first-hand dealings and experience.

I think I would avoid Pearson until they set a course with a clear vision, and re-establish firm revenues with long term educational relationships and contracts with educational partners, and establish a strong and stable market position.
Pros
Remote/WFH options, moderately relaxed work culture, good benefits administration
Cons
Constant restructuring, mammoth company, slow and often misguided exective reaction to changes in market
Love doing projects
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 9, 2017
Always love working for Pearson as a contractor. But with sign of times, workload has decreased tremendously. Past program managers were attentive and helpful but it has changed.
Productive and Great place to work
IT Product Validation Senior Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 7, 2017
Great pay, benefits and salary, lots of layoffs due to restructuring. There are a lot of silos among management. Great place to learn and gain experience.
Pros
Great benefits, pay
Cons
constant layoffs
Nice place to work
Scorer (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHMarch 4, 2017
Nice place to work. The people are nice and the work place is comfortable. The location is way up on the north end and traffic is very heavy. Commute time from the south west side of town is very long. The managers are very nice to work for. Pay is good.
Pros
Good pay and nice people
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pearson. Our community is ready to answer.