PECKHAM, INC Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work
Customer Interaction Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIOctober 12, 2017
Changing schedules, may work days than get switched to nights. Management is not qualified, lead by intimidation. Impossible to learn job, work from 13+ SOPS.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor training
Work Hours
Tier 1 Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  MichiganOctober 8, 2017
You don't really get to choose your work hours. You get a list that you rate and they are given out based on Seniority and Work Quality. They do not have a weekend cleaning crew, so they building does kinda get a little dirty on the weekends.
fun place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MI 48906October 4, 2017
was good place to work and good environment! met lots of nice genuine people who care about my health and wellbeing. i enjoyed the atmosphere and the people who made peckham seem as home
Productive and fun!
Passport Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 26, 2017
A Good place to work. It was a good company and helped its employees a lot. They have extensive training and refresher courses to help you with your job.
Pros
Company holidays off
Cons
Short breaks
well balanced work culture
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lansing MISeptember 18, 2017
wonderful people, staff and clients
Excellent CEO and TMs and staff are outstanding to work with.
Peckham has wonderful benefits for staff.
The atmosphere, environment and culture are awesome.
Pros
work culture
Cons
n/a
Working For Peckham, Inc.
Seamstress (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 8, 2017
A typical day consist of sitting at a sewing machine for the entire time, of the day. I have learned how to sew on many different types of machines. Management was very respectful towards me. The work place was always kept clean. The employees were very pleasant towards others. The hardest part of the job was, sewing a zipper on the military uniforms. The most enjoyable part of this job, was meeting new people from different cultures.
Pros
Everyone were treated like we all family.
Cons
The lunch breaks were too short.
Job Coach
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 13, 2017
Peckham Inc., was a great place to work. My position was job coach which included training consumers on their new job they acquired. This was a very, rewarding job because you were able to see the consumers excel at what they were doing and ultimately, be able to work on their own.
Pros
Seeing consumer's excel
Cons
Having to tell someone they have to shower
While working on the most part Peckham was a good place to work
Contact Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IAJuly 10, 2017
Peckham is fine when you are working for them, once you are no longer needed they are less than friendly and workable, We lossed our jobs at no fault of our own
Wonderful Part time Job while my mother was ill
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  2511 N. Martin Luther KingJuly 6, 2017
I got this job for a little something to do while my mother battled dementia. I learned that I missed nursing! They are a very caring company. Management was awesome and very helpful. I enjoyed working for the department of state assisting people on renewing and applying for US passports. I worked part time because my main priority was my mother. It worked out perfect, I was able to have set hours and leave on time unlike in healthcare.
Pros
Cared about their people
Cons
It was not nursing.
There are better jobs out there
TSR (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJune 29, 2017
If you are looking to start a career in IT and are needing tier 1 help desk experience, I highly recommend going to a different company. I highly discourage anyone from joining the USDA contract that Peckham currently services based out of the Grand Rapids office.

Since day 1 of my orientation back in February of 2015, they have lied about what the offer here. Despite them saying there are advancement opportunities here, there are not. Any move that you can make is lateral at best with minimal pay increases. If you do move to another contract here at the Grand Rapids office, you have non-stop calls and the pay does not justify the amount of work you have to do.

When you first start out, you will likely not even have access to certain tools that you will need to do your job. I know this because for close to two years now I have been a mentor and have helped newer trainees learn the job. The training they receive in class is very inadequate and does not prepare them to take calls, which puts a burden on the rest of the employees because we have to do twice the work.

The management here really has no clue as to what they are doing. You will see this in the type of people they hire. The job postings for this place usually state you have to have an A+ certification or other certs, plus PC experience, etc. But the people they bring in here fall way short of that. For example, they hired one guy who shouldn't even be touching a PC. He has no multi-tasking skills and barely knows how to use a PC. Whenever he gets a call, he has to hand write all of his notes, then after the
  more... call is done, types everything into the ticketing system because he is so slow at typing. He is just one example of the many types of employees like that they hire. On top of all that, when they were starting to hire a bunch of supervisors, they completely bypassed the people that had been doing the job for a couple years and hired external candidates.

This department of Peckham has a high turnover rate due to the bad management, lack of training, lack of advancement opportunities, and favoritism. They do not reward employees who have been here long and perform well. In fact, those employees are not valued at all. If you have read everything I wrote and are still considering this job, I urge you to look else where. If you absolutely cannot find anything else, then I wish you luck. I am putting my two weeks notice in within the next day or two.
Pros
Some good co-workers, pay is average.
Cons
Bad management, bad supervisors, lack of advancement. Not enough pay for the work you do.
nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 12, 2017
good place to work at, provided free fruit for employees, could advance to different departments. Talking with people about passport, how to apply, where to apply and how long it takes to receive. Also informed customer if they needed a visa.
Pros
free fruit and coffee
Good job for someone who does not have a lot of career aspirations. Little room for advancement.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 1, 2017
Have your own cube and cabinet, no sharing of work space. Have a nice break room with plenty of microwaves, free coffee and refrigerators, fresh fruit most everyday, bi monthly lunches.
Ability to Succeed
AmeriCorps Member (Economic Opportunity Coach) (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 10, 2017
I love the culture of the company, as it gives anyone regardless who they are a chance to succeed and thrive within the company. I had learn a lot, especially communication and patience in dealing different types of people. What I loved about the company is the ability to learn new things very day.
Learned
Sewing Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 14, 2017
Sewing Machine Operator
Used the serge machine to sew the jackets.
Love helping making jackets for Army.
It hard parts but it worth it to learn and make me felt great to make for whole army s need.
IT Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 28, 2017
I enjoy the work/life balance at Peckham.

The most enjoyable part of the job is solving technical issues for our customers. I have learned a lot of new skills and while the work environment is fast paced, it makes the day go by fast.

Our direct supervisors are great to work for (no micromanagement), but the high level management does not communicate very well.
Strange Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 9, 2017
I enjoyed the nature of the job. Doing customer service for the US Dept State, answering passport questions. I have a bit of customer service experience, so it came pretty easy to me. But I didn't seem to mesh with my co-workers, or the managers. It's very cliquish among the colleagues who've been around a while. The managers weren't very pleasant. They were accusatory and cold usually.. My VSS was nice, but took a while to respond to inquiries. I seen a lot of people come in my time there, apparently a high turnover rate exists. Which I found odd considering Peckhams mission statement, and desire to help individuals acquire and maintain employment. Also on a couple of occasions Peckham encouraged us to sign statements stating Peckham was helpful to us as employees. Because they seemed to be defending themselves against accusations of hiring people who weren't actually disabled. It was a very odd experience at Peckham.
Pros
Pay, benefits, 401k, bicycles provided.
Cons
Unsupportive managers, uncomfortable work environment
Fun sewing clothes sitting comfortably.
Sewer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 23, 2016
I enjoyed working here because i had experience of sewing clothes for over 18 years from my country. I had amazing friends from my work. I also had friends from my country and i knew most of the people. The workplace was amazing because i received benefits from work. I had nice co-workers. The best part about my work was sitting comfortably and sewing clothes which i had experience for over 18 years of my life.
Pros
Benefits, Old Friends, Free Breakfast
Cons
Low Income
This is the summary of my work experience at Peckham Inc.
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 4, 2016
The work experience that I acquired at Peckham Inc. helped me with a variety of job settings as well as learning and teaching many clients as well as helping me learn many types of consumers. Job Coaching was very demanding and helped me learn patience and humility for the consumers that I instructed. This was a a job that I will never forget. The accomplishments I saw my clients was very
fast pace work
Apparel Sewing Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 19, 2016
fast pace work. Got along with everyone on my work site. enjoyed the environment very well. Typical day at work bonces from slow and busy. What I have learned is no matter how mad the workers get you is don't take it out them. Management was helpful. The co-workers was nice and respectful for the most part. The hardest about the job was it gets packed full of jobs and picking up the sewing machines. The most enjoyable part about the job is the maintenance supervisor.
Pros
the work hours
Cons
not enough work hours
An Excellent Place To Make A Fresh Start
English as a Second Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 14, 2015
Peckham was my first job following a medical leave. I served as an English as a second language tutor. I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world, and helping them learn English.