Peer Health Exchange Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Rewarding
LEADERSHIP COUNCIL MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2015
great opportunity to teach to underprivileged area of Los Angeles. Volunteer teaching provides great oral presentation skills and communication skills
PHE is an organizarion that go into high schools and teach studenst health risks and how to prevent them.
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  New YorkApril 17, 2015
I have learned so much about my health and how to advocate for myself and my community. I have improved my communication skills. I have also improved in my peoples skill. The most enjoyable part of this job is to see the smile on students faces after every workshop.
Pros
Free food and Metro cards.
Very enjoyable and felt like I made a difference in the students lives.
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 13, 2013
As a Health Educator, I would go to various high schools and teach students about tobacco use. These students did not have a health course available to them so we were responsible for educating them on health related topics. We would have weekly meetings with other group members and would do certain exercises that would help us with class management, team leadership, and team building skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that we were educating these children on aspects that they could potentially relate to; we were making a difference in their lives and giving them the skills and required knowledge to make decisions about tobacco use.
Fun, rewarding organization to work with.
Health Educator/Senior Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 16, 2013
This company is a non-profit organization that recruits college students throughout the United States in many of the major cities (Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Boston) to teach health education to high school students. A typical weekly meeting consisted of learning new skills to refine classroom management and public speaking skills. A typical workshop is 45 minutes-1 hour long, and heath educators teach a curriculum (from memory) that covers a health topic (e.g. Mental Health, healthy relationships, tobacco). The workshop has both lecture and student participation components.
The organization of the organization is as follows: each city has paid staff members who help run the operations, and then multiple college campuses in that city have coordinators and leadership council members to lead the health educator volunteers.
The most difficult part of the job is getting through the the high school kids. They are usually from less privileged areas, sometimes cannot speak English, and are not always the model student. But with passion for the job, it is possible to get trough to them, and the most rewarding part is when a student asks a question or brings up something they have learned about health and applies it to their lives. That shows that every small action to teach them makes a difference.
It is a great organization!
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 30, 2015
I volunteer with PHE and have found it extremely rewarding. I teach Boston public high school students about topics in health.
Excellent non-profit organization
Peer Health Educator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2013
While working at Peer Health Exchange I was able to gain valuable experience in health education.

4.6