Peet's Coffee & Tea Employee Reviews in United States

LOOOOOOVED everything
BARISTA, CASHIER, CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAFebruary 28, 2016
I loved my job at Peet's because their was always something to learn or do. Some of my shifts would consist o lines that hit the door for hours, but because I was working with such a great team, we would knock it out together with no problem. I learned so much about the company in the little time I was there. My supervisor was so awesome and understanding. I miss this job so much. The hardest part of the job was the commute. i lived in Carson and my job was in Brentwood, and I relied on the bus and trains to get me to and from work. It took me 3 hours to get to work and 3 hours to get home. I loved my job so much in fact that I did this commute for 4 months before I moved. I had no other complaints. My team was awesome, work was always fun, and learning about the company and the necessary skills to be a great asset to the company was always something I looked forward to.
Pros
Awesome team, great location, amazing management, always an opporunity to move up
Cons
the commute
Stressful yet productive.
Barista/Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Corte Madera, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Working at the Corte Madera Peet's store is extremely stressful and you can never be quite sure what problem you're going to have to tackle when you walk in the doors each morning. While it was stressful, I learned stress is vital to productivity and found myself experimenting and observing how I work through different levels of stress and intensity. The hardest part of my job is keeping yourself happy. Many customers may try to mix up and make your job more difficult but it's important to stay calm and attack what needs to get done through prioritizing what is important. The management staff is difficult at times.
High volume, high pace job that prioritized customer service and personal responsibility
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Newton Center, MAMay 12, 2016
Shifts were all similar, consisting of staggered rushes and lots of caffeine. Management and Shift-Leaders were often busy managing the administrative aspects, so it often to the senior Retail Associates to rise to the challenge of managing rushes store maintenance-to which we excelled. There is no doubt that Peet's teaches employees to manage several tasks and responsibly prioritize a workload.

Building relationships with your coworkers, but especially your customers made work fly by. With such high volumes of customers, you can build quite the community if employees are willing to connect!
Pros
More coffee and tea then you'd ever want to drink!
Cons
Corporation unsuited for advancement, wouldn't want to build a career with so little room for growth.
Fun job, especially if you love coffee.
SHIFT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Granite Bay, CAFebruary 24, 2016
This company has great benefits for their employees. They are very generous to the employees on all levels. This is a fun job with great customer and an even better product. This is a job where the coffee is always freshly brewed. The focus in the position will be on quality and making sure the retail space is clean and welcoming.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
short shifts and not a lot of week hours
Professional environment
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAJuly 4, 2016
Working with coffee has always been fascinating to me and I strive to learn as much as I can about different extraction and brewing methods. There is a lot to learn but Peet's makes this accessible by providing and requiring certification classes to ensure knowledge. I never experienced any scheduling conflicts and the management was quick and efficient to solve problems. A typical day included, cash handling on register, making drinks on bar, cleaning, weighing beans and grinding them, as well as organizing inventory.
Pros
Exceptional employee discount
Warm workplace with hard workers
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Half Moon Bay, CAJune 22, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Peet's Coffee and Tea. The overall environment was warm and inviting to co-workers and customers. Every day at work I would be working the cash register and serving customers coffee. I would work on bar as well making special drinks to customers. I got along great with the co-workers and asked whenever they needed helped or other duties that needed to be done. The most enjoyable part of my job was speaking to customers because they were friendly and always brightened my day.
Pros
Disconnect on food & drinks.
Cons
Short breaks.
Peets was a cool place to work while I was furthering my education at community college.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 18, 2016
Peets proved for a stable work environment while I completed my pre requisites for community college. They always offered shifts in areas that I could pick for supplement and the environment was always inviting and friendly with cool people. At the time health care wasn't required so it wasn't really a big deal, but I will note that it was not offered and I was never offered any advancement opportunities, although I was happy where I was at.
Pros
free coffee and pastry whie working
Cons
not much variety, in food, high turnover rate in management.
Poor morale, pay, worker appreciation.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 22, 2015
Easily one of the worst places I've ever worked. Upper management seem always to be placing pressure on store management to cut hours and increase sales.

Store management expects employees to be completely knowledgeable about every single variety of coffee or tea in the store almost from the beginning of training; freaks out when mistakes of any kind are made.

Routine visits from barely human district managers turn store managers into vengeful, paranoid bosses who act like any employee mistake is a personal affront--an attitude which, of course, decreases employee morale.

Additionally, only the most long-tenured employees ever have any idea when they'll be scheduled for work. During the eight months I worked there the largest raise I heard of anyone getting was a mere 15 cents.

If you value your sanity and/or being treated with dignity and respect in your place of work, DO NOT work for Peet's. It's not worth it.
Pros
Free half pound of coffee every week.
Cons
Nearly everything else.
Stress Inducing Unfocused Company
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJuly 5, 2016
Peet's has undergone constant change over the last 4 years which has been above and beyond the normal retail changes that occur as part of business.

Leadership has not stayed constant for more than 6 months at a time. Individual contributors are promoted into management without any prior people management experience. If you are looking to advance your career and grow within a company do not work for Peet's Coffee.
Pros
Free coffee, 1LB every 2 weeks
Cons
Unorganized and unfocused
Okay.
Barista, Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2016
Depends on store and customer demographic, but usually fast paced. There is a balance of busy and boring. You will learn a lot about the field and are expected to work hard.
stressful working environment in my expirience
retail Associate/barista (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 1, 2015
The work day gets too hectic at times. for my particular store when I arrive I feel like nothing has been done. Milk isn't stocked for customers, trash won't be taken out, there isn't anything stocked when it's time for me to work, and dishes aren't washed. I like to work in a clean environment and I feel as though I'm the only one to address this. As far as management is concerned I don't like it very much. The manager sits in the back all day then criticizes the employees when little things aren't done. An overly complicated task book has been reintroduced to the stores and it slows everyone down because management wants every last tedious thing checked off. The manager once told people they can't go home until the task book is done which confuses people. I get along with all of my coworkers so no complaints there. The coworkers are about the only thing I enjoy about the job other than my paycheck. I always tell newcomers not to stress a lot when working but the money just isn't worth the added stress.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
poor management
Lovely People, Low Pay
RETAIL ASSOCIATE/BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 7, 2016
I absolutely loved my boss and my coworkers. I left for reasons based on my moving onto other things in life. I absolutely recommend working here if you're okay with the lower compensation and fast-paced, high-volume environment.
Pros
Compassionate boss, free coffee, flexible hours
Cons
Low pay, high-stress environment
hard working, Fast past
Barista and Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  2066 Antioch CT Oakland CaJune 10, 2016
working here I learned many of different things. I grew with the company and became a shift lead and handling the floor when a manager was not on site. I have to manage COGS, deal with employees and customers. I also had to do a lot of ordering and switching around the schedule when needed.
Pros
great people i was working with
Cons
wanted to move up and they made that very hard for me.
Merchandise Specialist and Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CAApril 19, 2016
Comfortable environment that promotes the ability to have a work/life balance. The ability to move up within the company is fairly easy as long as you have the initiative to ask for it and to prove yourself. The benefits program is amazing and in the economy of NEEDING insurance, this company makes this easy, even if you can't be a full time employee.
Pros
Great medical and dental
Cons
Lack of overtime ability
I enjoyed it but it rubbed me wrongly in ways
Bar Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 3, 2016
I was commuting into that city from Germantown MD, that's about 40 min a day. I made that commute for 6 months obviously I enjoyed it to a degree, mostly the coffee shop scene itself, but I was planning to either move near that city or the job would be temporary. Eventually, I had to leave the job. By the end of it though, I started to get agitated by it. There was a lot of unfairness in how different associates were treated.
Their operation is excellent though and their drink and coffee quality defeats Starbucks' easily. It's a great store, but it doesn't size up as an employer
social work environment with opportunity for creativity
Customer Service Representative/ Barista (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJuly 7, 2016
coming to work is an enjoyable experience because of amiable customers and a strong team of co-workers that are always willing to provide assistance and motivation.
Pros
being complimented on my beverages
Cons
the busy work environment does not allow me to chat with customers
Great product, but too big, too fast...
MATERIAL HANDLER (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJune 1, 2015
Without a doubt, the best coffee on the market, I still remember the moment of my first cup. I started in 2013 everything was fine, but over the last 2 years the current company focus on expansion, K-Cups and profits has left some employees, as well as management feeling apathetic about unchanging working conditions while receiving inadequate raises.
Pros
Coffee, discount
Cons
Management, Pay rate
Fun workplace
Shift Supervisor/ Barista (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJuly 24, 2016
Peet's provides a nice work culture. It's fun being a barista and creating positive experience for customers. I have learned how to develop my customer service skills working with different types of people and customers.Most enjoyable part of the job is the environment: chill co-workers.
fantastic company
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shelby Township, MIJune 27, 2016
Paid over minimum wage and offered a few incentives and benefits that make employees feel valued. Managers trained in communication skills and are respectful and value their coworkers.
Pros
free drinks on shift, free half pound of coffee free each week, half off drinks when not on shift.
Cons
Tons of work with great benefits.
Barista (Former Employee) –  SFO AirportDecember 2, 2015
Working for a retailer of Peet's Coffee would be similar to working for Peets Coffee besides the fact that customers would be upset that we couldn't take peets coffee gift cards. Making coffee was the easiest part about the job but keeping the work space super clean and tidy was a bit stressful with five or six other individuals in your space. My co-workers ranged from the age of 18 to 60 an the managers were quite young. Working at peets meant free food and coffee, this was the most enjoyable part about being a barista here.
Pros
Great pay, free lunch/breakfast, diverse community
Cons
Labor work (lifting packages/ pulling carts up to 60 pounds), inconsistent hours