Peet's Coffee & Tea

Peet's Coffee & Tea Employer Reviews

It all started here
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Redwood City, CAOctober 4, 2014
Pros: free coffee, management, opportunities
Cons: pay
I loved working for Peets. I was here for many years, and loved it all. I really enjoyed making coffee and perfecting my art. I was part of the management team, so I learned a lot about how a business runs. I learned how to be a leader. I worked in very busy stores and found it invigorating. I absolutely loved the customers and loved building relationships.
Fun coffee shop but horrible pay and hours
Barista (Former Employee), San Jose, CASeptember 25, 2014
I worked at Peet's coffee and the pay never seemed to increase. No one ever got promoted. The culture was great though and the employees made it fun. It was a very laid back vibe. The management wasn't very persistent or seemed to care all that much.
Great work environment, learned valuable skills
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), Fremont, CASeptember 7, 2014
I love this company. It has taught me how to be a great leader and a great communicator. I have formed long lasting friendships while at this company. Hardest part of the job is dealing with customers; everyone gets touchy when it comes to their coffee. But that is also the best part of the job, some of my customers are the best customers anyone could – more... ask for. – less
A day in the work life.
Assistance Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 26, 2014
Pros: 45 min lunch paid.
Well i typically close because its a bit slower and gives me more time to Train the new team members and make sure the old ones are good to go with everything. I complete all of the night paper work and i get the deposit together to be taking to the bank in the morning.
Great college part-time job
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMay 8, 2014
Pros: free coffee!
Cons: fast-paced
For 5 years, I worked for Caribou Coffee. I was always lucky to have educated and professional managers whom were great role models and teachers to me. The job was loaded with mini lessons in economics and marketing, disguised by a fun and cool coffee shop job. Coffee shops are open early and close late so not only are the hours flexible and accommodating – more... to college student schedules, but it provides a great opportunity to practice time management while in school. Socializing with customers all day, fixing problems, and providing flawless service was rewarding yet exhausting, especially if you worked at 100% the entire time. – less
Great Company, Culture, and Product
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Oakland, CAMay 4, 2014
Pros: free and delicious coffee
Cons: non-traditional work week (i.e. not 9-5 m-f).
Peet's is a great company to work for because of its strong culture. Working for an industry leader is apparent in the bold direction taken by the company in the last few months. It seems anything is possible here with the continued expansion across the nation.
can be a real fast pace business
Barista (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 11, 2014
I was a barista it could get kind of stressful in the morning time
Lattes, cappucinos, machiattos
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Mornings were busy with the regulars, learned a lot about the origins of coffee and tea, fun fast-paced
Basic Coffee House
Associate/Barista (Current Employee), Rochester Hills, MIJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: half pound of free coffee each week
Cons: labor is cut and everyone is short of hours
No different than any other coffee place, however the atmosphere of customers and co-workers makes it pleasant to work there rather than anywhere else. Most challenging is probably being able to sell more coffee beans than other employees who are in a better position to sell. Speed of service is slower to what I've experienced before at other jobs. – more... The most enjoyable part of my job is the latte art on the handcrafted drinks, its interesting to make different designs each time and personally challenging. – less
Hard work
Assistant Store Manager/Operations Manager (Former Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 21, 2013
Pros: monday through friday work
Cons: short breaks
Employees are cross trained in all aspects of the job. Being level-headed was necessary because the store was constantly busy.
Customer Service
Barista (Former Employee), Westwood, CAOctober 23, 2013
Pros: extra income, accommodating manager
Cons: healthcare, short hours, low pay
Although I only work at Peet's for some extra money, I still take this job seriously and I take pride in my work here. The company is not as generous as Trader Joe's but my manager is very accommodating to my busy schedule and I appreciate that very much. This job is mostly customer service.
Productive and Fun
Retail Sales Associate/Certified Barista (Current Employee), Burlingame, CASeptember 10, 2013
Pros: free/discounted coffee & tea, pastries
Cons: can be fast paced and stressful if you aren't accustom to it.
Depending on your staff, this can be a very fun place to work. The company recently let up and now allows employees to wear blue jeans. Benefits are great, especially since I have a small child. Starting pay for me was above minimum wage. In store benefits/discounts Free 1/2 lb. of coffee or tin/box of tea a week. Free drink and pastry during your shift. – more... 50% off duty for drinks and pastries. 25% Merchandise. Always free coffee and tea, Always caffinated! Otherwise, it can be a fun job, as long as the work gets done and the customers leave your store happy. – less
Nice place.
Shift Lead (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 3, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: no advancement
Peets is a great start for someone looking to get in the coffee culture.
Fantastic place to work
Barista (Former Employee), Milwaukie, ORJune 26, 2013
Pros: customers, the team, benefits, going home happy.
Cons: i cannot think of any real cons about this job.
I LOVED working at Peet's coffee. I loved the challenge of having to remember more than 10 drinks in a row, multi-tasking and running more than one machine at a time while having them all out in a matter of 5 minutes or under was the highlight of my day. The crew was phenomenal. I couldn't have asked tow work with a better team. Each and every one of – more... us had a respectable understanding on how each person worked which created for a smooth flowing day filled with laughter. This job was one that I looked forward to going to every scheduled day.
Honestly, the hardest part of the job was being patient with new people. Sometimes I had to remind myself that it took me about a month to be confident in what I was doing, creating that muscle memory. I was in their position at one point, too. – less
Incredible product but company does not live up to its stated values in the retail channel
Store Manager (Former Employee), BostonApril 4, 2013
Pros: free coffee and tea while working, take home 1/2 pound a week, other discounts, nice coworkers and customers
Cons: low pay, extremely high expectations of product knowledge and sales generation, no marketing to help managers build their business, minimal training
Peet's has a long and rich history and has done incredible work to support quality coffees and teas in the world, and to provide customers with the world's best products.

However, the company pays lip service to being a "training organization" and has at tiny training department. Field training is a job duty of store leaders who are themselves poorly – more... and under-trained. There are few labor hours allowed to train staff; theoretically each new hire comes with 40 "training hours" but somehow those mysteriously get gobbled up into regular hours. District managers spend most of their time yelling at their store managers about overspending labor budgets.

Like many retailers labor is a top cost and Peet's utilizes software to schedule staff to the quarter hour. Staff do not get consistent or reliable schedules, which they hate and which lowers morale; very few retail staff, let alone managers, make it to the one year mark, let alone longer. The software (known as Kronos; look for a news story about it in the NY Times within the past year) is the bane of retail managers.

You can move up quickly if you have a lot of stores your district, due to the abovementioned churn in all levels of staff. This churn is not good, by the way.

Peet's apparently has a very large marketing department that those of us in the field try to figure out what they do. All marketing efforts apparently target current customers; for instance, those who have already come in and purchased something can get a free beverage by signing up to be on the email list. We have never seen a marketing effort designed to attract new customers. (Peet's for a long time considered itself a "cult" brand; hopefully the new CEO will change this up.)

Peet's is truly committed to its quality and this is a good thing that we all do respect.

Proceed with caution, as someone else says. As a retail associate you will receive minimal training, low pay, have high expectations from management to know all about many kinds of coffees and teas as well as be a strong sales person, and get no sick days. However there is so much turnover if you stick with it you can move ahead easily. You might just become the best store manager ever!

And I may add: staff are also responsible for keeping the store spotlessly clean. No overnight cleaning companies for Peet's! – less
Fun and fast paced
Shift Leader/Barista (Former Employee), Hillsboro, ORFebruary 9, 2013
Peet's Coffee & Tea is a small chain that offers high-quality coffee and tea and merchandise. I enjoyed my time there, learned a lot, and met a lot of great people - both customers and employees. They offer great benefits and competitive pay.
Great working enviorment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Huntington Beach, CaOctober 22, 2012
Pros: atmosphere, customers, co-workers, location
Cons: low pay
Cashier, clean and prepare beverages and pastries while maintaining positive customer service.
Warning: Proceed with Caution
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), CAAugust 22, 2012
Pros: free drinks, 1/2 lb coffee/tin tea a week
Cons: low pay, no work/life balance
As a manager, you can make an OK salary, but not great. I was told during my interview I would be placed in a store close to home, had no idea at all where I was going until I was done with training and ended up being placed at a much farther location.

Employees are hired on at minimum wage or slightly above plus tips here. I left as an Assistant Manager, – more... and found out that they pay what I made as a barista in the year 2000. Twelve years later that is sad. This is the main factor of no morale in stores.

You often see employees with wrist braces suffering from carpal tunnel that were hurt on the job, continuing to work the espresso bars. A big problem is the staffing hours are cut to the bare minimum and employees have to strain themselves more than they should.

A positive element is that the dress code is lax. You can almost wear whatever you want.

The store managers are not required to work nights at all. This means they don't know their evening business and this causes problems. I had very little work/life balance. I had only one Saturday off the entire time I worked there, and that was because I requested it off. My schedule every week was closing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights which made it impossible to take my Partner out for a nice dinner during the weekend.

This company claims to be green. They have moved forward in some areas, opening the first LEED certified roasting plant. Where they have moved backwards is not implementing recycling and composting in all their stores, only in the stores that are in cities that require it. – less
OK if you have a good manager.
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee), Lexington, MAJuly 9, 2012
Pros: free coffee and tea
Cons: scheduling, low pay, demanding customers, poor communication from management
As long as you are not in a management of supervisory position the job is acceptable for part time work. Upper managers expect too much from everyone and do not want to pay people for the work that they do. DO NOT work here for the benefits. They are OK but you have to clock 500 hours before you become eligible, and enrollment is only twice a year. – more... If you work part time this milestone will take forever to reach. Also the customer base at Peet's is more demanding than other similar shops. They really want to believe that Peet's is different from Starbucks (which it really isn't for employees at the store), and their entitlement can be unbearable. I dealt with it well because of my personality, but for some employees the customers are just not worth the low pay, minimal training and haphazard management. – less
Focused workspace with great customer service.
Sales Associate, Brewing (Former Employee), Castro Valley, CAMay 13, 2012
Work at Peet's Coffee & Tea was good. Co-Workers were nice and helpful.

About Peet's Coffee & Tea

Peet's Coffee & Tea enjoys the daily grind. The company owns and operates about 195 coffee shops in California and half a dozen – Read more