Peet's Coffee & Tea Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Peet's was a fun and positive environment! I actually enjoyed going to work on a day to day basis. The culture was awesome, the people were very positive and fair and the work life was relaxing, positive and very supportive. Management was very supportive, easy to approach and really listened when I talked. I was given the opportunity to voice my thoughts and opinions in a professional manner and I enjoyed going the extra mile for the company because they treated me with respect, integrity and they valued me.One of the most enjoyable things about the job was the "take home" meaning we got to choose great coffee and tea (free) every 2 weeks to take home. Love this Place!
Pros
Management was Supportive; Free Coffee and Tea Products and Great Employee Discounts
Cons
Best job I've had so far
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Orinda, CAOctober 16, 2016
A typical day at work at the location I worked at was very busy and we were almost always understaffed while I worked there. They hire anyone with management experience regardless of their performance so the management isn't usually very good at their jobs but the compensation is very low in comparison to other companies similar to it, so they have to take what they can get. It's a hard job, and it's physically demanding. You have to be great at working with people and be willing to work as a team. I enjoyed this job a lot, and it's a great college job. If you like working closely with people and participating in a positive, fast-paced work environment then this is definitely for you.
Pros
45 minute lunches, 50% off beverages while on the clock, 25% off merchandise, medical, dental, 401k, tips
Cons
minimum wage, very low raises
Peet's great place to socialize
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Novato, CADecember 15, 2016
I worked at Peet's while transitioning out of a long term career as an educator. I had previous retail experience and wanted to learn how to make superb lattes. It was a fun working culture, but the management dynamics and lack of benefits and reliable working hours ultimately made me look for employment elsewhere.
Pros
Take home coffee and tea
Cons
non-reliable work schedule
Greatest Company I've ever worked for...
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJanuary 19, 2017
From the bottom to the very top; every employee brings their A game daily. Quality products, ethical, making a difference in the community, it's easy to support Peet's. Room for advancement, top notch trainers, detail oriented managers.
Pros
Great coffee, fun work environment, advancement opportunities, competitive salary.
Cons
Might not be in a city near you.
Enjoyable work environment with lighthearted and wonderful people
Barista (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 22, 2017
Management needs major work. The business is just starting up, making things a little shaky. Management was placed on people who have never managed before, so there are lots of trial and error. But overall the job experience and people are enjoyable. Customers, especially regulars, are an absolute amazing group of people.
Pros
30 minute lunchs, 15 minute paid breaks, wonderful benefits, 8 hour shifts.
Cons
Work drama, poor management, passive aggressive 'confrontation'
Customer service is awesome
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 27, 2016
It was fun working for Peet's coffee. They really wanted you to have work life balance and coffee knowledge. The only concern I had while working there was that , although they had great customer service, they sometimes forget to hear the employee's side of the story. Also, I was told that I was too happy to be a manager.
Pros
Coffee, getting to work side by side with people. Customer service
Cons
Upper management support
It's only an okay company to work for.
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 10, 2017
A typical day include: brewing coffee, stocking pastries, cash handling on register, making drinks on bar, cleaning, weighing beans and grinding them, as well as organizing inventory.

What I learned was what's excellent coffee from substandard ones and being able to make great lattes/cappuccinos.

The most enjoyable part of my job are my coworkers, customers, and making a variety of great drinks to share with everyone. I work with an amazing and smart team of coworkers interested in ensuring my success in being a barista. The majority of managers and higher ups, however, leaves a lot to be desired. Although store managers are cool enough to be flexible with your schedule, most of them do not value you unless you are their personal buddy or top performing employee.

If you don't mind just coming into work knowing that you are just another cog in the machine, taking orders throughout your shift, and clocking out, then this job is ideal for you otherwise find another place that not only values you as a worker but also as a person.
Pros
Free coffee/tea, free 1/2 pound bag of coffee or tin of tea each week, flexible hours, ability to perfect latte art
Cons
Lack of advancement, low pay, treated like a work unit rather than an asset, top down corporate culture, little to no input for improving operations.
Coffee Shop in the City
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 16, 2016
A typical day would entail a changing schedule between opening at 5:30 a.m. of closing the store at 9 aiding customers in decisions making drinks etc. I learned a tremendous amount about the nature of relationships and customer service through the regulars that frequented the shop and the high volume of customers. The hardest part was kicking people out the store for hazardous issues, and the most enjoyable part was the relationships formed with co-workers and the community which the shop was in. As I progressed and started working more closely with management I gained a perspective on what that job entails.
Pros
Free coffee on shift and discounts
Cons
fluctuating schedule
productive work place
Barista (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 30, 2017
A typical day at Peet's is full of making caffeinated drinks and mingling with the customers. I have learned to manage my time closely and make sure that the customer is happy and satisfied with their product. The management is excellent and I have a great relationship with my boss. The hardest part of the job is occasionally forgetting what someone ordered and then having to talk with the customer and see what I can do to make up for my mistake. The most enjoyable part of the job is practicing latte art!
Pros
free drink every shift
Stress Inducing Unfocused Company
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJuly 5, 2016
Peet's has undergone constant change over the last 4 years which has been above and beyond the normal retail changes that occur as part of business.

Leadership has not stayed constant for more than 6 months at a time. Individual contributors are promoted into management without any prior people management experience. If you are looking to advance your career and grow within a company do not work for Peet's Coffee.
Pros
Free coffee, 1LB every 2 weeks
Cons
Unorganized and unfocused
High volume, high pace job that prioritized customer service and personal responsibility
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Newton Center, MAMay 12, 2016
Shifts were all similar, consisting of staggered rushes and lots of caffeine. Management and Shift-Leaders were often busy managing the administrative aspects, so it often to the senior Retail Associates to rise to the challenge of managing rushes store maintenance-to which we excelled. There is no doubt that Peet's teaches employees to manage several tasks and responsibly prioritize a workload.

Building relationships with your coworkers, but especially your customers made work fly by. With such high volumes of customers, you can build quite the community if employees are willing to connect!
Pros
More coffee and tea then you'd ever want to drink!
Cons
Corporation unsuited for advancement, wouldn't want to build a career with so little room for growth.
Best place I've ever worked, until.
customer service, Operated cash registers (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CANovember 14, 2016
I loved working here so much. It was sad when they fired me with no warning. Everyone there was great and I loved the chill environment, but when I called in my 4th time they fired me out of the blue. I only called in when I was visiting my sick grandma in the hospital. It's ok though, I'll truly miss working there.
Fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Financial District, CA. San FranciscoFebruary 4, 2017
Over all I have been satisfied with my employment at Peets. It's a great work environment and offers lots of diversity. Willing to work around difficult schedules.
Pros
Great benefits and discounts
Favorite Job
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 10, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Peet's coffee and tea because of all the welcoming friendly staff and manager. When I first started my job I shadowed my co-workers a lot to get the hang of how to close the bean counter area. Once I was able to successfully close the bean counter area I was then pushed to start making drinks in the bar area with also practicing handling money at the register. As I started to get comfortable on making drinks at the bar I was then trained to close down bar. Since I then gained experience in bar and beans
I was able to multitask very well and learned to become very fast paced to make the customers happy. With this job I was able to gain good experience in customer service and handling money by counting my draw in every time I clocked into my shift and when I was working as a cashier throughout my shifts.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Healthcare
Peets was a cool place to work while I was furthering my education at community college.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 18, 2016
Peets proved for a stable work environment while I completed my pre requisites for community college. They always offered shifts in areas that I could pick for supplement and the environment was always inviting and friendly with cool people. At the time health care wasn't required so it wasn't really a big deal, but I will note that it was not offered and I was never offered any advancement opportunities, although I was happy where I was at.
Pros
free coffee and pastry whie working
Cons
not much variety, in food, high turnover rate in management.
Productive and fast paced environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CADecember 26, 2016
The shifts are 6 hours, 8 hours if you decide to work a long shift. Make sure to get a good nights rest if you're working an opening shift the next day. Depending on where your store is, there will be two rushes, minimum, during your shift. You'll grow in learning how to problem solve. You'll learn how to make a great latte, how to pull the perfect espresso, how to handle unsatisfied customers and how to multitask well. There are opportunities to become a shift lead and gain leadership skills.
Pros
Free coffee and tea, 50% discounts on drinks and foods when you're on duty, you can easily pick up shifts at other stores
I love working at Peet's coffee
Shift Lead. I (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CaliforniaSeptember 26, 2016
I love working at Peet's but i feel like it is time for me to move onto a job that will help further my career in the future. I love working with people, and coffee, and my customers but i really need a higher paying job that will help get me more experience for when i become a teacher.
Professional environment
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAJuly 4, 2016
Working with coffee has always been fascinating to me and I strive to learn as much as I can about different extraction and brewing methods. There is a lot to learn but Peet's makes this accessible by providing and requiring certification classes to ensure knowledge. I never experienced any scheduling conflicts and the management was quick and efficient to solve problems. A typical day included, cash handling on register, making drinks on bar, cleaning, weighing beans and grinding them, as well as organizing inventory.
Pros
Exceptional employee discount
A nice introdution to coffee culture
Barista (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAAugust 10, 2016
Peet's Coffee and Tea is a nice sit-down coffeehouse that served variety of coffee drinks to wide range of clientele. I learned various nuances of coffee and crafting of coffee drinks. The management at Peet's ranged from exceptional to inadequate, which the staff had to adjust to. I enjoyed working the staff members and helping the guests, but management could have been better at times.
Pros
Free drinks, health insurance.
Merchandise Specialist and Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CAApril 19, 2016
Comfortable environment that promotes the ability to have a work/life balance. The ability to move up within the company is fairly easy as long as you have the initiative to ask for it and to prove yourself. The benefits program is amazing and in the economy of NEEDING insurance, this company makes this easy, even if you can't be a full time employee.
Pros
Great medical and dental
Cons
Lack of overtime ability

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peet's Coffee & Tea. Our community is ready to answer.

85%