Peet's Coffee & Tea Employee Reviews

Stressful yet productive.
Barista/Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Corte Madera, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Working at the Corte Madera Peet's store is extremely stressful and you can never be quite sure what problem you're going to have to tackle when you walk in the doors each morning. While it was stressful, I learned stress is vital to productivity and found myself experimenting and observing how I work through different levels of stress and intensity. The hardest part of my job is keeping yourself happy. Many customers may try to mix up and make your job more difficult but it's important to stay calm and attack what needs to get done through prioritizing what is important. The management staff is difficult at times.
Lovely People, Low Pay
RETAIL ASSOCIATE/BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 7, 2016
I absolutely loved my boss and my coworkers. I left for reasons based on my moving onto other things in life. I absolutely recommend working here if you're okay with the lower compensation and fast-paced, high-volume environment.
Pros
Compassionate boss, free coffee, flexible hours
Cons
Low pay, high-stress environment
A fun place to work.
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 3, 2015
I love working at Peet's Coffee. I have a lot of fun with the people that I work with and with the people who come to buy our coffee. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, and we get a free coffee every day that we work! The hardest part of my job is when I'm working alone during a rush of customers, but it can still be enjoyable because I'm essentially making art with coffee, caramel, chocolate, and things of the like.
Pros
Free small coffee! Meeting fellow coffee drinkers, and making coffee
Cons
Little training
Tons of work with great benefits.
Barista (Former Employee) –  SFO AirportDecember 2, 2015
Working for a retailer of Peet's Coffee would be similar to working for Peets Coffee besides the fact that customers would be upset that we couldn't take peets coffee gift cards. Making coffee was the easiest part about the job but keeping the work space super clean and tidy was a bit stressful with five or six other individuals in your space. My co-workers ranged from the age of 18 to 60 an the managers were quite young. Working at peets meant free food and coffee, this was the most enjoyable part about being a barista here.
Pros
Great pay, free lunch/breakfast, diverse community
Cons
Labor work (lifting packages/ pulling carts up to 60 pounds), inconsistent hours
They care
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2015
They are employee focused, they care for the people that are working for them. I think that this company in time will be great.
Productive workplace with a fun and friendly vibe!
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAOctober 15, 2015
Management is wonderful, I truly saw my boss as a friend, manager and support system. All the employees know what they are doing and are quick to make you feel at home!
Down to Earth
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 7, 2015
Peet's Coffee & Tea is a very down to earth company to work for. They make sure that all of their locations are prepped for each new promotion and really do love having a hands on learning experience.
Review
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAAugust 10, 2015
Most amazing company to work for.

Very supportive environment and great work culture. Extremely talented people with a good management support.
Fast-paced environment and great coworkers.
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Cupertino, CAAugust 5, 2015
Usually we have rushes in the morning from 8am - 12pm or over. It's a fast-paced environment so it is essential to move quick but at the same time give the best customer service to each and everyone who comes in.

Our management is being held by a great store manager who is attentive to his employee's needs and pays attention to great detail in the store as well as his customer's needs.

We have great co-workers who are friendly towards each other, where it feels like we all have known everyone for a very long time. We get along great.

I think the most enjoyable part of my job is being the barista making the drinks, especially during rushes. Keeps the adrenaline going!
The hardest part of the job
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 26, 2015
As a SM, it is hard to really manage your store because the company as a whole is constantly going through so many changes. From the CEO to the VPs of Op have changed several times. With each change comes many changes, making it hard to adapt or know what the expectations are.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
unclear expectations
Busy, Fast-paced and energetic work environment; great team environment
Barista/ Lead (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 29, 2015
I enjoyed the fast-paced environment and the energy of my co-workers. I, especially, enjoyed being able to help teach and train new co-workers as well as talking to a vast and diverse group of people everyday.
Pros
Free drinks; 30% off purchases
Cons
sometimes understaffed
best job ever
Cashier/ Barista (Former Employee) –  Boston maJune 16, 2015
one of my first real jobs. paid well. customers were great. if i can work there again i would. learned how to make espresso drinks.
Pros
tips
Cons
short breaks
Poor training, bad management
Shift lead (Current Employee) –  ChicagoJune 7, 2015
Very limited training when you start. No training practices in place. More experienced lower level employees are not being utilized. Grew very fast in the Midwest and hired poor managers from Caribou. No employees that were already with Peet's were able to apply for management positions. Product is great but all they have going for them is great coffee. The product sells itself.
Pros
Free coffee /espresso when working, take home product to try weekly
Cons
unexperienced management, no training
Fun and calm place to work.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Commerce, MIJune 2, 2015
Some days could be hectic with the drive-thru, but i thoroughly enjoyed working at Peet's. I learned a lot of knowledge about coffee and have been able to learn more on my own because of this.
Great product, but too big, too fast...
MATERIAL HANDLER (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJune 1, 2015
Without a doubt, the best coffee on the market, I still remember the moment of my first cup. I started in 2013 everything was fine, but over the last 2 years the current company focus on expansion, K-Cups and profits has left some employees, as well as management feeling apathetic about unchanging working conditions while receiving inadequate raises.
Pros
Coffee, discount
Cons
Management, Pay rate
Poor morale, pay, worker appreciation.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 22, 2015
Easily one of the worst places I've ever worked. Upper management seem always to be placing pressure on store management to cut hours and increase sales.

Store management expects employees to be completely knowledgeable about every single variety of coffee or tea in the store almost from the beginning of training; freaks out when mistakes of any kind are made.

Routine visits from barely human district managers turn store managers into vengeful, paranoid bosses who act like any employee mistake is a personal affront--an attitude which, of course, decreases employee morale.

Additionally, only the most long-tenured employees ever have any idea when they'll be scheduled for work. During the eight months I worked there the largest raise I heard of anyone getting was a mere 15 cents.

If you value your sanity and/or being treated with dignity and respect in your place of work, DO NOT work for Peet's. It's not worth it.
Pros
Free half pound of coffee every week.
Cons
Nearly everything else.
Fun Work Environment
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMay 7, 2015
I enjoy working, as a team member, at Peet's and interacting with all of the customers and returning customers.

I am now quite knowledgeable in coffee beans and teas. I am proficient in creating all of the different beverages on the menu.

I have learned to become very organized in keeping the store stocked with supplies, cleaning the store and all the duties on the closing shift.

I am friends with all of my co-workers and we all work very well together and enjoy working together.
Pros
Great work environment and fun job.
Cons
Hourly and tips could be more for established workers.
Productive workplace
Sr. Director of Account Sales (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAMarch 19, 2015
Traveled 90% of the time. Building east coast distribution
Learned a great deal about the coffee business
Management was focused on building the company up to sell
Co-workers were good hard working people
hardest part of the job was that I did not drink coffee
Most enjoyable was working with the people.
Pros
people, product
Cons
90% travel
Amazing people and environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 15, 2015
-Great environment
-I learned great customer service
-For a store that was in constant change the management still kept it together
Great Business
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Westwood, Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2015
I loved working for Peet's I had a great experience at the Westwood store only to get transfered to the Beverly Hills where my experience was smothered by poor management.