Peet's Coffee & Tea Employee Reviews

Fast-paced environment and great coworkers.
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Cupertino, CAAugust 5, 2015
Usually we have rushes in the morning from 8am - 12pm or over. It's a fast-paced environment so it is essential to move quick but at the same time give the best customer service to each and everyone who comes in.

Our management is being held by a great store manager who is attentive to his employee's needs and pays attention to great detail in the store as well as his customer's needs.

We have great co-workers who are friendly towards each other, where it feels like we all have known everyone for a very long time. We get along great.

I think the most enjoyable part of my job is being the barista making the drinks, especially during rushes. Keeps the adrenaline going!
The hardest part of the job
Store Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 26, 2015
Pros: free drinks
Cons: unclear expectations
As a SM, it is hard to really manage your store because the company as a whole is constantly going through so many changes. From the CEO to the VPs of Op have changed several times. With each change comes many changes, making it hard to adapt or know what the expectations are.
Busy, Fast-paced and energetic work environment; great team environment
Barista/ Lead (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 29, 2015
Pros: Free drinks; 30% off purchases
Cons: sometimes understaffed
I enjoyed the fast-paced environment and the energy of my co-workers. I, especially, enjoyed being able to help teach and train new co-workers as well as talking to a vast and diverse group of people everyday.
best job ever
Cashier/ Barista (Former Employee), Boston maJune 16, 2015
Pros: tips
Cons: short breaks
one of my first real jobs. paid well. customers were great. if i can work there again i would. learned how to make espresso drinks.
Poor training, bad management
Shift lead (Current Employee), ChicagoJune 7, 2015
Pros: Free coffee /espresso when working, take home product to try weekly
Cons: unexperienced management, no training
Very limited training when you start. No training practices in place. More experienced lower level employees are not being utilized. Grew very fast in the Midwest and hired poor managers from Caribou. No employees that were already with Peet's were able to apply for management positions. Product is great but all they have going for them is great coffee. The product sells itself.
Fun and calm place to work.
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Commerce, MIJune 2, 2015
Some days could be hectic with the drive-thru, but i thoroughly enjoyed working at Peet's. I learned a lot of knowledge about coffee and have been able to learn more on my own because of this.
Great product, but too big, too fast...
MATERIAL HANDLER (Current Employee), Alameda, CAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Coffee, discount
Cons: Management, Pay rate
Without a doubt, the best coffee on the market, I still remember the moment of my first cup. I started in 2013 everything was fine, but over the last 2 years the current company focus on expansion, K-Cups and profits has left some employees, as well as management feeling apathetic about unchanging working conditions while receiving inadequate raises.
Poor morale, pay, worker appreciation.
Barista (Former Employee), Seattle, WAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Free half pound of coffee every week.
Cons: Nearly everything else.
Easily one of the worst places I've ever worked. Upper management seem always to be placing pressure on store management to cut hours and increase sales.

Store management expects employees to be completely knowledgeable about every single variety of coffee or tea in the store almost from the beginning of training; freaks out when mistakes of any kind are made.

Routine visits from barely human district managers turn store managers into vengeful, paranoid bosses who act like any employee mistake is a personal affront--an attitude which, of course, decreases employee morale.

Additionally, only the most long-tenured employees ever have any idea when they'll be scheduled for work. During the eight months I worked there the largest raise I heard of anyone getting was a mere 15 cents.

If you value your sanity and/or being treated with dignity and respect in your place of work, DO NOT work for Peet's. It's not worth it.
Fun Work Environment
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAMay 7, 2015
Pros: Great work environment and fun job.
Cons: Hourly and tips could be more for established workers.
I enjoy working, as a team member, at Peet's and interacting with all of the customers and returning customers.

I am now quite knowledgeable in coffee beans and teas. I am proficient in creating all of the different beverages on the menu.

I have learned to become very organized in keeping the store stocked with supplies, cleaning the store and all the duties on the closing shift.

I am friends with all of my co-workers and we all work very well together and enjoy working together.
Productive workplace
Sr. Director of Account Sales (Former Employee), Emeryville, CAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: people, product
Cons: 90% travel
Traveled 90% of the time. Building east coast distribution
Learned a great deal about the coffee business
Management was focused on building the company up to sell
Co-workers were good hard working people
hardest part of the job was that I did not drink coffee
Most enjoyable was working with the people.
Amazing people and environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 15, 2015
-Great environment
-I learned great customer service
-For a store that was in constant change the management still kept it together
Great Business
Shift Lead (Former Employee), Westwood, Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2015
I loved working for Peet's I had a great experience at the Westwood store only to get transfered to the Beverly Hills where my experience was smothered by poor management.
Barista
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 2, 2015
The team I worked with was amazing! I enjoyed the job greatly while I was employed through this company.
Amazing Place.
Sub Inspector (Former Employee), Oakland, CADecember 28, 2014
Its a very busy place, but it has its advantages.
People are nice and helpful.
Fun place to work
Shift Supervisor / Barista (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 24, 2014
If you love coffee and tea this is the place for you. They will overload your brain with all the coffee and tea knowledge to ensure you can answer any question thrown at you.
Overall a good Experience
Store Manager (Former Employee), Northern CaliforniaOctober 9, 2014
Pros: employee discount, work/life balance
Cons: advancement opportunities, pressure to work with minimal staff
Worked for a few years as a Manager. Really liked the discount and my team mates. Unless you live near the Home Office there is little room for advancement. Manager pay was decent- everyone else is slightly under paid. Customers were generally good to us. The culture connection was strong in my area. Super flexible schedule. Most of upper management has not worked behind a counter in forever, so there is a huge disconnect.
It all started here
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Redwood City, CAOctober 4, 2014
Pros: free coffee, management, opportunities
Cons: pay
I loved working for Peets. I was here for many years, and loved it all. I really enjoyed making coffee and perfecting my art. I was part of the management team, so I learned a lot about how a business runs. I learned how to be a leader. I worked in very busy stores and found it invigorating. I absolutely loved the customers and loved building relationships.
Fun coffee shop but horrible pay and hours
Barista (Former Employee), San Jose, CASeptember 25, 2014
I worked at Peet's coffee and the pay never seemed to increase. No one ever got promoted. The culture was great though and the employees made it fun. It was a very laid back vibe. The management wasn't very persistent or seemed to care all that much.
Great work environment, learned valuable skills
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), Fremont, CASeptember 7, 2014
I love this company. It has taught me how to be a great leader and a great communicator. I have formed long lasting friendships while at this company. Hardest part of the job is dealing with customers; everyone gets touchy when it comes to their coffee. But that is also the best part of the job, some of my customers are the best customers anyone could ask for.
A day in the work life.
Assistance Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 26, 2014
Pros: 45 min lunch paid.
Well i typically close because its a bit slower and gives me more time to Train the new team members and make sure the old ones are good to go with everything. I complete all of the night paper work and i get the deposit together to be taking to the bank in the morning.