Pei Wei Asian Diner Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company
Market Partner (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 23, 2016
Great Company to work for. Enjoy my time with them and we have grown a lot over the past few years. I have the opportunity to grow as much as I want.
Nice, organized managment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXJuly 14, 2016
It was a good place to work, they would not let you call in unless it was an emergency or you had someone to cover you. I learned how to micromanage people and my area and take care of things. Management was always organized and held themselves respectfully. My co-workers were well trained like me and knew what they were doing, they took care of things. The hardest part was dealing with rude customers. The most enjoyable part was my friendly co-workers.
Pros
Nice environment, good managers
Cons
No breaks
Fresh food serve quick in a great cultural atmosphere!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2016
The company was once the best place to work from a cultural standpoint and business. Over the last four years it seems as if the company has been bought out and the quality is affected by all the changes.
Pros
Quick service
Cons
Long management work days
Very happy work enviroment
Cashier/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 30, 2016
Management was awesome, I learned how to persuade people to buy dishes that recommended. I would greet as customer as they walk in to my register. Once the order was placed and ready I would serve them, check on them to make sure everything was great and once they were done I would bus the table
Pros
Free food and Drinks
Cons
Some employees we're about teamwork at time
Not fun.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 25, 2016
At the time it was not a fun place to work. Management was not organized. The staff ran the restaurant more then the managers. And it was dirty.
Pei Wei's is a nice work environment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJune 8, 2016
This is a very friendly environment and work place. We work together to the best of our abilities to assure customers are satisfied. Some advancement can always be used in every work place.
Horrible Higher Management
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAJune 7, 2016
Unorganized company to work for all around. Benefits packets are not the best. Inconsistence and I could go on and on. Shifts are from 8-8. No quality of life for management. You basically eat, breath, pei wei
Pros
Staff is amazing
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2016
I loved working here. Great place to work. Long hours and no breaks. No weekends off and employee meals are free. If you have a family, I do not recommend working here
I am anrgy
Dishwasher/cashier (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 30, 2016
I liked working here and they just shut down and took my job I have a family to support and I really don't appreciate losing my job
Management screening needs to be looked over better.
Front of House Cashier and Server (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJMay 22, 2016
Working at Pei Wei was a little difficult because of management. My boss used to talk to me as if I were a child and not an employee working for his company. He was always rude and never to the time out to actually ensure that is employees were comfortable.
Pros
Great discount for employees
Cons
Management was a little unbearable
Fantastic company to work for.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLMay 15, 2016
Awesome and fun place to work. Staff is amazing. Management is very understanding and business-oriented. Customers love the food in the company.
Productive and Close
Wok Cook/ Pantry Prep (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 4, 2016
It was like being at work with your family, easy communication, and a easy understanding of what was to be done everyday.
Pros
Free diners
A good first job
CASHIER/FLOATER (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXMarch 2, 2016
The Pei Wei I worked at doesn't speak for all locations, but when I first started the training was great, management was pretty good, and the pacing was overall really nice. As soon as the general manager left to a different location was when the overall quality of the work environment dropped. It really just depends on the managers.
Great company, accomadable
Key Manager/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 2, 2016
I have worked for this company on and off for almost 4 years. It is a great place to learn. Good training and decent management.
Pros
50% off food, flexibility, atmosphere
Cons
ability to advance, restaurant customer service
Decent Pay, Terrible Management
Front of House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2016
I have worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner for about two years now, and I have had more store managers than I can count on two hands. With each new Store manager comes a new way of organizing work stations, of handling store policy, etc. to the point where those of us who have been in the store long enough have no idea where things are or what we are expected to do.

This general confusion only leads to more irritation from our customer base, as the constant turnover of employees means that at any given moment there will be a person who can sheepishly explain that it's their first day and that's why they don't their dishes. Also adding to customer irritation is the fact that the menu for the store is in a constant state of flux, and it changes at random times as dictated by the corporate overlords in Arizona, far from the region where I work.

As I said, I've been with this company for two years. I'm paid 11.50/hr, pretty good for a restaurant job. Unfortunately this is the only perk for working with the company, as you can't expect free meals for working there all day (it costs too much, and the store needs to save money) and any health insurance is fairly negligible.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Work schedule, management, communication
Be careful at which one you work at and upper level management. The Boot Camp of working in the food industry.
Server, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Oh boy, where do I begin.. I was a server/busser/cashier, which meant that I "floated" around the restaurant doing whichever needed to be done, serving food and bussing tables at break-neck speed. My typical day at work was to wait around and "look busy" or "find something to do" (which was honestly, EXTREMELY vague) until rush hour came, which was typically around 11-12:00, during which all he** broke loose. At this time, customers come flooding in and you are expected to do the above quickly, and efficiently. It was extremely stressful, as I had to pick up the slack for some other workers. Not even a good job or any type of praise from my managers, only from a few coworkers. Pei Wei... the idea behind it was that you could have different types of dishes prepared "however you want it", so that customers would be EXTREMELY picky and particular with their food, creating a ****ton of problems and mess-ups, as you were expected both quickly and "without mistakes", as a cashier. Even after I repeated their order and did everything as expected of me... It was a tireless job, as managers were not there to guide or see if I was doing the right thing during the "training" process, which lasted honestly throughout my entire time there. One particular manager, which I will not name names, said that if I was not going to work there long, then they did not want to "waste their time". You can't not teach someone the works and expect them to do well. How the heck was I supposed to know how long I was going to be working there? Once again.. management was very poor when I started working,  more... which left a bad taste throughout my Pei Wei career. Not to say that there were not any good managers. Major props to those that actually were good... but nevertheless, managers switched off every day and I wish I could have the awesome managers.

The upper level management was very micromanaging, I could not catch my breath without being *****ed at. Their training was definitely p***-poor, as after a year i was still being taught new things to memorize, which added on to my never-ending list of things to keep in mind, all of which i wished they taught me EARLY ON so that I didnt have to ask people what to do all the d*mn time. My managers were cool for the most part, but they switched out often, so if you had told one manager what you wanted your hours to be like, they would switch out and the next manager would forget and you had to negotiate your hours again.. which was a real pain in the neck. Heck, I felt neglected because even new workers coming in were getting the hours they wanted and I was being put in for whatever was left, after a whole d*mn year. I honestly never got the hours that I wanted, except only once, and that lasted a week. Upper level management, as I said before is always changing things up and micromanaging everything. I expected a stable place to work at, but new things are ALWAYS being added, and some new thing always comes up that I don't know how to deal with.

Okay, so let's get started with the customers. Every single day, there was always at least one person who b****ed about SOMETHING, most likely it was out of my control and I had to get one of my managers to help, or at least a coworker, who was probably too busy or would get angry if I asked. There was always that one customer that came in and ruined your day. Some even knew that you were expected to give them the A+ treatment or else they would talk to your manager and you would get sh** on. Since this establishment cannot make up its mind about it being fine dining or fast food, neither can its customers. Your job title is SERVER, but people who eat there expect you to wait on them and are very annoying.

Coworkers... Well.. for the most part, my coworkers were awesome, most of which I definitely befriended, because there are those few who really relate to you because they, too are going through the same struggle. I wished to hang out with these people outside of work, but I was too busy not having a life because of the inconsistent hours they gave me, not to mention how often I was called to come in to work because someone didn't show up (i always came in to make a good impression, but.. they called me all too often and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one they could call..) know where you stand, or else you will be at the bottom of the food chain, where everyone takes advantage of you, and will try to talk their way into you doing their work, and step all over you. everyone there was afraid of their uppers, those who weren't were either brown-nosers or not on management's good side, or quit. one particular manager (while i am grateful for having hooked me up with this job) had -1 in treating people with respect and like DECENT human beings, and set up the stage for the work-place environment be a total s***fest and a hostile place to work at.

As a first job, this definitely was not the best experience, and I am reluctant to find work elsewhere in the restaurant business if all restaurants are like this. Perhaps I was not able to handle things or put my foot down or even because it was it was my first job, but d*mn, it was not a good experience for me, all for 8.25 an hour.
My advice is.. Make sure managers properly TEACH.. and I emphasize PROPERLY in order to get things to run smoothly so that your workers are adequately TRAINED before they start working, d*** it.

So... after time, i got tired of being a server, and our dishwasher got fired because of too many no-shows. I thought it would be easier not having to handle so many customers at once. Dear G, I wish I had not done so. Dishwashing was even worse and more inconsistent than being a server. It was a 2-man job at the very LEAST that the company crunched everything into one job. Not only were there a constant load of dishes being piled up, but you had to do side prep of certain ingredients as well. At the end of the day, all the cooks would give you their cooking equipment to wash. This was 4-5 trash-can sized loads of pots and pans that you needed to scrub down and wash on top of the loads of dishes that were already coming in at the end of the day, all which needed to be washed within an hour before everyone left. Again, this was at least a 2 man job, and I was only getting paid the bare minimum of 9 dollars an hour, which I deem should be at least a 12-15 dollar job for the amount of work they put on you.

I would put down my foot if I could do it all over,

. Eat here before considering working here to know what the environment is like (I wish I did).

Also, the food there is gross, or... unsatisfying to say the least. Most was bland, except the fried rice. Every time I ate there I never came out satisfied or full.
Pros
free food occasionally
Cons
Sloppy, poor management, hectic and busy. getting milked
Very fun and great place to work.
FOH Member (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 30, 2016
It was a great job and never had any dull moments. My team was great and everyone made going to work enjoyable. My managers also were very great and made us all feel like a family. Pei Wei is a huge franchise so keeping up the rush could be complicated but the team and I always stuck through it. Working with these people made my job enjoyable.
Pros
Crew Members and co workers, Lunch breaks
Great diverse company
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 12, 2016
Fast pace work environment serving food, that required accuracy and dependability. A typical day was exhausting but with a fun diverse team.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Not having a set schedule
well/good
cashier/busser (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHJanuary 7, 2016
very good. decent pay, easy job, good people, learned a lot from being socially awkward to always greeting someone as soon as they walk in with a smile on my face as if I know them, being able to talk to people, be motivated to be nicer to get tips, and encouraging (for the most part) workers who care for work or personal problems, can always find someone to talk to in need, for fun, or to help with the job,
Pros
50% off, sometimes extra free food, nice coworkers
Cons
not strict management, or too strict and discouraging
high speed low drag
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 1, 2016
be ready to work. semi scratch kitchen, doing 40k a week in this concept is like doing 90k in other chain restaurants. The culture does not allow lazy or ineffective management very long.
Pros
hours of operation
Cons
inability to compensate workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pei Wei Asian Diner. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8