Pekin Insurance Employee Reviews

No work/life balance
Worker Bee (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 3, 2017
Behind the times, not keeping upy with the industry. Don't listen to employee feedback, takes eons to get anything changed. ...........................
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Poor management
WOW! Run and Run away
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Main officeMay 30, 2017
A typical day is to think, great, my security card worked today. Guess I have a job for another day. If you are experience in your work career this is not a good place. A few princes and princess rule the company! If you are experience and question the "why" you are shot down and your days are usually numbered. The place is a landmine of politics, if you goal is to learn and work not really a good place to work. The work stations in ITville is the kind you find at airports, libraries etc. It is nice that I can tap my neighbor on the shoulder but...when a cold season hits....plan on being off. The WFH is somewhat of a joke...depending on who you are, who your manager is etc.... HR creates policies but again if they like you they may try to help you if not whatever. So in short if you are looking to grow in your political abilities and are running for some short of politic office ...run away!
Pros
Cafe is cheap, nice landscaping
Cons
No true IT structure, decisions made by people who do not want to improve the company
Suffers from lack of vision and rooted in the past
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILMay 28, 2017
I would not recommend Pekin insurance to anyone seeking to further their IT career. Although there is a lot of happy talk about "change" to lure candidates, the organization suffers from being encased in a hermetically sealed bubble of backward thinking created by a decades-long culture of promotion from within ensuring the mindset and approach of management and the company itself stays firmly rooted in the past and strongly resistant to industry standard approaches to IT. The skill level of management tends towards mediocre and as such staying politically relevant trumps leading and finding opportunities to leverage technology and standard or leading edge practice and methodology to get things done efficiently. Employee reviews are done "against the curve" and is nothing more than a political ritual designed to reward not on knowledge or accomplishments but maintenance of whatever your place is in the political status quo, e.g if you are well liked by the right people no amount of mediocrity will prevent you from being considered a "rock star" and if you are not no matter the accomplishments you are never rated on merit. All of which is supported by a weak and compliant HR department that has essentially abdicated its responsibility to employees to ensure a fair and honest work environment. Rather than stand up for employees when they are right it is standard practice for IT management to not risk their place in the hierarchy and throw them under the bus. IT management tend to lack a basic understanding of IT processes and industry standards, how to motivate and lead,  more... and either do not support or actively work to undermine those who come in from industry standard shops out of fear of what is seen from the bubble as "different" putting their own jobs at risk. The company is attempting a major transformation to bring its technology literally out of the 1980s however IT management lacking vision with an inability to lead, and having fostered a culture in which no one is encouraged to step up out of fear for their jobs has resulted in an over reliance on consultants with questionable commitment to the company's goals. Rather than "Beyond the Expected" its more like "Over the Cliff."  less
Pros
Cheap cafeteria
Cons
Highly political culture
Good People and Nice Small Town Location
Sr. IT Internal Auditor - Insurance (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 27, 2017
Fun place to work, a bit slow paced at times. Trying to play catch up in regards to technology. Insurance Industry is very competitive and many larger companies have advantages in terms of economies of scale. The culture is just now beginning to recognize they need to employ some proactive technology enhancements to slowly move off the old Mainframe environment an onto a platform that will allow them to meet customer requirements.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
Sometimes too structured
Small business with a friendly group of employees
Quality Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 24, 2017
- I worked 7:50 AM to 4:15 PM. During this time I was in charge of creating batch process documentation and performing testing.
- I learned much from this job. I learned more COBOL and JCL skills, as well as SQL development skills. I also learned about the importance of clear and concise documentation.
- My management was friendly and always willing to help me.
- The Quality Assurance team that I worked with was full of great people. They were all very nice and helpful.
- The hardest part of the job was the initial learning curve. I had never worked in a corporate setting before, and I was slow to ask for help. I no longer have these problems.
- The best part of the job was the people that I worked with. Everyone seemed genuinely happy to be there each day. Walking to my desk in the mornings, nearly everyone on my team would greet me and wish me a good morning.
Pros
Cheap lunch, good colleagues
Growing Company
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 10, 2017
Overall a good company that is experiencing some growing pains. Leadership has embraced work/life balance which helps to manage stress. Co-workers overall are great and people are friendly.
Pros
Co-workers, learning experience
Cons
Growing and maturing environment
Revolving doors for a reason
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 3, 2017
Pekin Insurance has become a very stressful place to work. HR, in the last 6 years, has become rigid, unemotional and very power-hungry. Their main goal is to rid the company of long-term, pensioned, older, loyal employees and replace them with younger, inexperienced ones at a cheaper cost. Pekin Insurance put in new revolving doors at their entrances for a reason: to accommodate the high turnover rate. Your point of views and ideas are not welcome at Pekin Insurance. You are expected to accept their ways or they will find a way to get rid of you. Management and supervisors are allowed to show blatant favoritism to the point where even physical aggression by co-workers is swept under the rug.
Pros
Free food to take home and short commute
Cons
"Big Brother" atmosphere
"Old school" way of thinking. New and innovative ideas not welcomed.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILNovember 10, 2016
No matter how hard you work if you do not do it their way you will not be successful.
HR is a joke. No policy and procedures followed.
Terrible place to work.
Pros
Cafeteria is cheap and good
Positive Experience
Claim Intern (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILNovember 9, 2015
My experience as an Intern at Pekin Insurance was positive. I was able to learn about many aspects of the Insurance process specifically the claims process. Managers were very knowledgeable and treated employees well. Co-workers were friendly and uplifting. I loved getting off at noon on Fridays during "summer hours". I would recommend Pekin Insurance to my close friends.

Pekin Insurance is a good company from top to bottom.
Originally a good place to work but has gone downhill
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILAugust 17, 2015
Started working there shortly out of high school and loved it. Pay was decent but no incentives to make you feel appreciated. As time went on, they watched every move made, even bathroom breaks, and made it feel like you were back in elementary school. Difficult to advance unless you are "buddies" with a manager. Huge frat mentality. Women still lacking in pay and advancement. Will lay people off and rehire 6 months after to save money on someone making a higher wage because they've been there longer. Not a place someone would work if they hope to reach 20 or 30 years of service and retire.
Pros
Benefits, close to home
Cons
Management, no job security
Fun Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 8, 2015
Pekin was a temp job but it was really easy to do and the people I worked with was great. They were very kind and kept busy to where we hardly seen each other. The manager was really nice just to bad that the company closed their doors and started working from home.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Temp position
Awesome Company to work for
Manager IT Service Management (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILOctober 5, 2014
Awesome Company, Awesome People,,,The staff and the management are awesome. They treat their staff right and value the customers.
Pros
Subsidized Lunches
Good Company Gone Bad
Management/Technical/Secretarial (Former Employee) –  Pekin IllinoisMay 28, 2014
Major transition going on since 2010. Pension plan gone and benefits reduced. New HR's number one goal is to reduce salaries on mid level range employees and turn company over to generation Y at a lower cost. No job security unless you are upper level management as there are a different set of rules/standards and it is a very stressful environment for all levels. HR doesn't follow the very culture being expected of its employees as it is agenda driven. Few minorities and women still lagging in pay. Nominal trinkets given out in lieu of real meaningful comps.

Use to be a place where folks worked 10, 20 or even 30 years with a proud retirement. Those days are long gone at Pekin Insurance as it is an environment of just be glad you have a job mentality.

39% turnover out of approximately 800 employees since the end of 2010.
Pros
Cafeteria, Health Insurance
Cons
See review.
Was a great place to work
Administrative Assistant to the Director (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILApril 19, 2013
I enjoyed the multi-tasking as well as the Excel challenges. Staff was great.
Pros
great co-workers & management team
Cons
no advancement
Poor executive management; lack of initiative.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILAugust 17, 2012
Senior management and work culture favors a status quo environment with little regard to employees' input. Took 25 years for company to enter a new state of business for P&C operations. Promotion from within created in-breeding with little effort to advance new management techniques and little accountability. Not in-tuned to cost-savings environment due to paying high commissions to independent agents in order to sell product/service.
Most of workforce is very good in their service efforts, but lack incentive to be engaged in their jobs due to culture and executives inability practice basic management skills. DIFFERENT POINTS OF VIEW ARE NOT WELCOME.
Employee benefits are good; compensation can be improved with a more incentive laden program to encourage effort with equal rewards. Not a good record regarding work/life balance.
benefits
Cons
executives; frat like culture; lack of accountability among management.
Co-workers were great but management makes promises that they don't keep.
Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILAugust 3, 2012
Co-workers are great people to work with. Management is behind in the industry. Lack of leadership and a sense of what we want to do within the industry. Travel was the hardest part of the job. Most enjoyable part was seeing the "light" come on when they learned something about the insurance. I learned the different types of insurance polices and speaking in front of crowd of peers.
Pros
close to home
Cons
compensation
Very good outlook for employees.
Claim Examiner (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILJanuary 27, 2012
PekinInsurance kept up on the pulse of the industry's wages and benefits for employees. Family oriented, and readily able to recognize superior service for the company and clients.
Pros
full benefits including christmas club, ready to assist and offer services when needed.
Cons
very few cons, if any.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pekin Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4