Pelican Hill Resort Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Great working area.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 22, 2017
Great olace to work, always friendly people working there.
I was in charge of a kitchen washing the dishes that the chefs used as well as the dishes that the employes used in their lunch.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
N/a
productive
Cook 4 (Current Employee) –  Newport Coast, CADecember 14, 2016
I have learned so much from my coworkers, and management.
There is always something to do never a slow day!! Bosses are always willing to jump in and help!!!
Pros
free lunches
Laundry, Dry cleaning & Uniform Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport Coast, CADecember 3, 2016
Great experience working at Pelican Hill Resort, it balance my personal time perfect, compensation was good, job security is there, great management, it was a great place to work.
Pros
Excelent meals and first class uniforms
Cons
Productive and fast pace work experience in a fine dining atmosphere.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Coliseum Pool and GrillSeptember 14, 2015
The Resort at Pelican Hill has given me the opportunity to expand my knowledge in customer service in an upscale, high demand atmosphere. My typical day would include: seating/greeting, confirming and booking reservations/large parties as well as for pool cabanas, helping around the restaurant (whether it be bussing or running things to the table), training new hostesses, all while answering any questions about the resort for our guests. I enjoyed working with a team of highly professional management as well as staff. My favorite aspect of my job is working to help our guests have the best stay possible alongside the beautiful scenery.The most challenging aspect of my job would simply be the more "high maintenance" impolite guests.
A Big Family and great teamwork
Cook (Current Employee) –  Newport, CAFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day is about 250 covers in am 250 in lunch .
i work the buffet doing egg cookery, thats what i do best, i also work the pantry line in back of the house and cover hot line in am for breakfast. My co workers have been a blessing to work with and i love them, they make it more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is when we are under staffed and not prepared with prep and have to constantly play catch up. The thing i enjoy the most is when we are all one the same page and its busy and we all push through the weeds.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
Always behind on prep because were always busy
Great Banquet Department to work for. Always work to pursue perfection.
Banquet Server, Host, Cocktail waitress (Current Employee) –  Newport Coast, CAJanuary 30, 2015
I do events, private parties, and weddings. I love it. It is a great atmosphere to work at. My co-workers and Captains are good and honest people. Everyone gets a long and work together. Team work. Our events are top of the line. We always get a high 5. Very fast and busy environment. Totally have to be multitask. One of the hardest things to do is to please the guest 100% but I manage to do it always with a solution to anything that comes my way and with a smile on my face. The best part of my job is the property we are located at. The best sunsets ever, my team/co-workers and the money of course.
Pros
I work close to work and love being busy and productive there, making the guest have an unforgettable experience.
Cons
work very late night sometimes.
Security Staff and Director
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Newport BeachFebruary 23, 2014
This is a high turn over job for security officers applying for employment. Always short on staff, officers back stabbing each other just to please the director. Not enough training, lack of supervision at nighttime. Which allows the older officers to take advantage of the new ones. I saw several incidents where some security officers harrassed other employees by making derogatory comments or sexual remarks. These securities were always picking on the weak employees such as the housekeepers and servers instead of applying the rules evenly with the other workers. Lack of professionalism and cukture. Do not recommend working in there unless certain key people resigned.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
amount of work and little pay high turned over on employees
Very stressful, high turnover, condescending management, poor environment
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  ReservationsSeptember 7, 2013
The days are extremely busy, phones do not stop ringing. Always short staffed, turn over high and the ones working feel the pressure, cramped office worst space ever seen, the manager is condescending and so is her boss, so it becomes a vicious cycle, that the employees all are looking for other work or transfer out because they do not teach only critique and write you up for the smallest infraction. They preach all these values but management does not practice them only expect us to. Hostile environment to be in.
Pros
Free food and uniform with cleaning you don't need to spend money on clothes or cleaning
Cons
Management especially direct managers, constantly short-staffed, recording device for calls
Fun place to work and interact with cultures from around the world.
Expeditor/ Busser (Former Employee) –  Newport Coast, CAJuly 19, 2013
My day would consist of taking drink orders, appetizer orders, and keeping guests drunks full and supplying dipping sauces and condiments. Also i would clear tables after guests were finished eating, clean and reset within 7 minutes for incoming guests.
Worse Job!!
Reservations Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 29, 2013
This job was a joke! They try to scam you your hours every paycheck. Everytime I got paid, I was always missing 20 hours off of my paycheck. When I confronted HR about it, they acted like it wasn't a big deal. They said "they will fix it" but it took them 4 weeks to fix it! I asked other employees if that also happened to them, and they said they are always missing hours off their paycheck too! Amy in reservations is very CONDESCENDING! She drinks the coolaid and will make your life miserable. Everyone in the reservations department talks about each other (drama everywhere). They said we would get commission too, but no one in the department has seen a commission check in 5 months!! They lied about that. The hiring process took 4 weeks long. Such a horrible experience. No point of working here since you won't even get paid the correct amount. SCAM!
Pros
Free DISGUSTING lunch
Cons
Will steal hours off paycheck!
Learned new skills
Public Area Attendant (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAApril 16, 2013
I learned to be organized and detailed in cleaning. Management was very fair and understanding. The hardest part was walking all day and cleaning surrounding areas of the resort. The most enjoyable part was having free lunch or dinner for employees.
Pros
job security/improvement in the company.
Cons
long distance
Horrible for a bartender!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  ColiseumFebruary 24, 2013
No money for a bartender at the coliseum! F&b director is a joke
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no money!! working for and with idiots!
This job is a joke. If you are an experienced server DO NOT waste your time here
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Newport CoastJanuary 21, 2013
This job is a joke! If you a server looking for a job, do yourselves a big favor and skip over this add. I always wondered about places that continuously have adds up. Not anymore, now I know it is because they cannot keep there employees! The managers are disrespectful that one is there to make a living, pay there rent or mortgage or whatever. Employees are unhappy, and complaining and scrambling for shifts.
Pros
free food
Cons
unhappy employees complaining and scrambling for shifts, hiring process is long, training is long.
Spa Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CADecember 14, 2012
Pelican Hill's environment sets the tone for your work experience-full of life and beauty, laid-back but structured in a purposeful way. You must also focus on the utmost important aspect of professionalism and service to guests and fellow employees.
beautiful place to work
Private Bar Attendant-In Room Dining (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CANovember 30, 2012
Pelican Hill Resort is one of the most beautiful places in Newport Beach Ca. I met a lot of amazing people both guest and fellow employees. It is the number one resort in the United States. The most enjoyable part of the job was that no matter what position you held you had the most breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean.
Pros
amazing company to work for.
Cons
understaffing, management
Very nice ultra luxury hotel
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 1, 2012
Slave to ultra wealthy clientel. Disrespectful upper management