Pella Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Long hours and high speed environment
Line Lead - Material Handler - Operator (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYNovember 28, 2015
While the managerial culture often feels lacking, the job does provide decent compensation. There is a good retirement program and insurance is almost completely paid by the company. However, long hours and minimal environmental controls make this a sometimes difficult job to weather in spite of the benefits. Upward mobility is decent, and you will go somewhere as long as you are willing to put in the time and do not complain too much.
Cons
Short breaks.
Great place to work with people focused culture
Talent Acquisition Intern (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAJuly 27, 2016
Pella places a lot of focus on servant leadership, continuous improvement and giving back to the community. People are quick to help and respond. I was given the opportunity to grow not only professionally but personally as well. They were truly invested in my career.
Very Corporate invironment
Drafting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAMay 28, 2015
When I first started with Pella, it was a family owned business that gave its employees the respect they deserved for the quality of work they provided. In the later years of my employment there, they became very corporate in that they put the company profit ahead of the welfare and treatment of their employees.
Pros
Full benefits.
Cons
Low job security, top heavy management.
A Good Job with Hard Work
Saw Operator, Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAMay 20, 2015
I worked there for 10.5 years. The job was demanding, but paid well. Benefits were excellent.

The hardest part of the job was standing on your feet for 8 to 10 hours per day.

Safety is a very big issue. I learned how to keep a safe working environment.

The factory is shut down for up to two weeks at Christmas time.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours standing
Strongly encourages continuous improvemnts
RELOCATION MGR/SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAJuly 8, 2016
In the 8 years that I was employed by Pella Corporation, I was always encourage to reach a little farther and recognized for my accomplishments
Other than the Marine Corps, this job was the most enjoyable for me.
Lead Value-Add/Composite Builder (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAApril 6, 2015
I enjoyed going to work everyday. By far, this is the best company I have worked for in the civilian sector. Great culture, family owned and operated, great compensation, would like the opportunity to work for this company again. Have had nothing but regrets since leaving this company for family reasons in 2008.
Pros
Great company, great compensation, excellent benefits, treat all employees great.
Beware
Operator II (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAMay 26, 2016
I currently work 3rd shift hours, 8:30pm to 6:30 am Sunday night through Friday morning. Extremely fast paced environment, expect to have Carpal Tunnel and Arthritis by your mid 20s. They only care about their production numbers at the end of the night, and will do whatever it takes to achieve them, so expect to bounce around between other lines/departments which can be very frustrating. And causes Very high turn over rate. You are being "timed" to do your job, this company has a time system and believes it has no flaws which I did agree. Your opinion will not be considered. Very short breaks include (2) 10 minute breaks and one 20 minute lunch for a 10 hour period. Expect (2) 6 minute and one 15 minute breaks bc they want you at your station ready to work at the end of breaks, not walking back from the break room. Management is a joke. Always somebody new bc they can't keep good managers, I wonder why?! Fresh managers out of college with no manufacturing experience will be your leader. No time with family during busy season, (April-September) sleep all day and work all night including overtime on Friday nights. Expect a 36 hour weekend to yourself. Hours drops below 30 hours/week in slow season (October-March) so plan ahead for a part time job. Advancement is available but will still face problems stated above. My overall experience was ok until the end of my 3 year career at this company. Good company to put some money in your pocket if you can handle it, but wouldn't recommend it, there are more "work friendly" jobs out there that will spare your back and fingers.
Pros
Great Health/Dental insurance.
Cons
Everything in review!
Very fast, high quality products Pella produces
operator-back up lead (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, paNovember 13, 2011
Pella all in all wasn't a horrible place to work at. It is very fast, the operators get timed three times everyday to make sure they are moving fast enough. They are big on quality, the operators, leads, and manager all does quality checks throughout the shift. There was usually always overtime somewhere in the plant if you wished to work it. However all overtime in your department was manditory.
Pros
always had work, good hourly wage
Cons
do not work with you well with doctor appointments, sick kids, evaluations were hard, almost impossible to get a raise, health insurance not very good
Pella believes in quality products and family.
Specialist A, Curved Parts Water Spider (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah, IAJanuary 16, 2013
Working for Pella was an experience to remember. The company and its managers operate smoothly and efficiently, and the employees generally get along well together with additional communication of tasks and safety procedures.

Most enjoyable: Set hours, great pay and benefits, and the chance to be exposed to a line of work that can be educational and rewarding.

Least enjoyable: The indoor environment of the factory: Because the wood conditions need to be maintained at certain temperatures and humidity levels (no A/C during the summer and water misters providing extra humidity during the dry winter months), the indoor environment eventually became too physically unbearable to work in such conditions.
Pros
the opportunity to work with great people; benefits
Cons
overall environment
Great company with amazing benefits
Oracle BOM/Configurator Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAMay 23, 2015
I enjoyed every day that I worked at Pella Corporation. Great people to work with and amazing benefits. It is the kind of company that makes you want to settle down and settle in,
Pella Corporation is the greates place ive ever worked,and miss it terribly.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCMay 1, 2012
Pella is a super great place to work,every aspect of the job is well organized,people are caring and co-operative. benefits and hours are perfect for my life style.I have learned many new skills that will be alotted to my future success.my co- workers were like family,there really was no hard parts of any job there that i had to perform,but i would say rolling screens to tact time was probably most demanding for me,luckily ,I didnt have to do that to the point of dread,so it was all good excercise for our bodies.the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that i was able to make a difference in our company in many ways as was others.
Pros
learning new skills
Cons
sometimes hot
Safety is of utmost importance
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYNovember 3, 2015
Good place to work that is more focused on safety of their team members that the number of production. Safety is always first.
Pros
Health care, Vacation, Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Hours are not consistant thoughout the year.
over all good work place clean had to resign due to lack of work becoming more and more slow each year
Assembly and Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 1, 2013
started 7 am did our stretches in the morning. Out look of work for the week ahead. I learned many different machine operations. I really enjoyed my co-workers got along well with the team. rolling and building screens was the hardest but I kept up well with it. most enjoyable was the fast paced environment. i like to keep busy
benefits
Cons
short breaks and short lunch
Bad management, bad culture, bad pay.
Sr. Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAJuly 11, 2015
Typical day go in work in at varying times as needed in all sorts of different weather and load/unload trailers with product bound for various destinations. Or building windows/doors and operating various equipment as needed by the company. Management constantly critiqued and criticized work practices without ever having done them and offered no solutions to the criticism being given. If you were somehow legitimately injured at work you were punished and in most cases terminated. Make claims to be a family/people oriented company and couldn't be further from the truth. I was relieved when i found another job and resigned.
Pros
Better then nothing
Cons
short breaks, terrible management, constantly changing schedule, no rearguard for employees.
Good company to work for, treat employees fairly.
Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairfeild, OhioDecember 4, 2011
There are opportunities to advance within the company. They demonstrate to be caring for employees by giving raises and sharing company profits. They have a good retirement program set up so employees do not actually have to contribute. Overall the company is fair to all employees and it is a place you do not mind going too.
needs a lot of work to make a better company
line employee (Current Employee) –  monett, moApril 11, 2013
Working for a pella company is not very rewarding. They say they are a family oriented company, but working 60+ hours a week and make you work holidays keeps you from your family. Took away personal time where it screws over the employee and only benefits the company to make it easier to get rid of employee. Pella bought our company, Efco and trying to run it like a wood and vinyl window and door manufacturer, like pella windows and doors. When have kaizan events they already what they are going to do planned out and input from employees are ignored. They are getting rid of all the people that know what is going on and what has worked in past and what failed, and replacing them with overpaid college graduates that know nothing or bringing in people from other pella plants that are shutting down that have failed there. Management can not keep themselves straight. Tell you some thing and hour later you find out that what they told you was a lie. There is no trust between workers and management. Everytime you turn around you have a diffferent supervisor. Only advancement that you will receive is if you are a yes man. They will make you a leader, but if you have a opinion you wont advance. they tell you there is a open door policy, but the open door they open is one walking you out. They only good thing is the pay is decent.
Pros
pay
Cons
see review to many to list
was a good place to work in begiining but not valued as much as it was in beginning
material handler (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILMarch 10, 2012
was a good place to work but hard to advance anymore not very good at giving raises or cost of living raises they do care about safety and their product being of good quality
Pros
offer lunch and learns / do blood drives /
Cons
could offer more benefits for employees
great group of coworkers
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAMarch 11, 2014
semi seasonal work. winters were usually slow so you could get a lot of time off or work reduced hours. summer months were very busy so it was hard to take time off and usually work 50+ hours per week.
Pros
compensation was awesome, great coworkers
Cons
long hours, a lot of weekends
they dont care about their employees.
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJuly 1, 2013
I worked their 8 yrs. I only made .35 cents over a new hire. They took my raise away because I got sick n then trained me everywhere in the plant. Their health ins isn't that good. If u get hurt ( like a back or shoulder injury) they try to get rid of u.
Pros
has flex spend
Cons
to many to list
Productive and sometimes fun place to work. Lots of overtime
Lead (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYMay 20, 2013
When working overtime with this company the hours can be long and rough. When working a straight 40 hour work week, the job can be fullfilling and fun. The pay is decent, but it is often hard to balance work and family life depending on the shift you work.
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
long hard hours, physical labor.