Pembroke Hospital

Pembroke Hospital Employer Reviews

You Decide
Staff RN (Former Employee), Pembroke, MAMarch 12, 2014
There are a lot of nurses who have been at Pembroke for a long time so it definitely works for some people. It might work for you if:
It is close to home...lets face it, driving into Boston is tough.

You like drama...all hospital settings have drama but working w/an unstable population really ups the anti.

You don't mind being hurt and often feeling – more... unsafe...there is no security to speak of at Pembroke Hospital so you may be required to be directly involved in situations where you could be physically hurt. Many, many cases of worker's comp and many people permanently injured from occurrences here.

You don't mind working understaffed. Just an ongoing issue d/t the high turnover. You are often left shorthanded and there is no consideration of the acuity of patients'. They follow a "grid" which is number of pt's to staff. This is designed to control cost not to manage acuity. So if the 10 pts on your floor are raging psychopath's don't count on having extra staff or if you happen to get extra staff it will be pulled from another unit leaving them short staffed.

You don't mind archaic systems of doing notes and passing meds. Nothing is computerized so there is a lot of room for error.

You don't mind being treated like a child. The upper management (DON) is punitive and reminds me of a grammar school nun. Unit Managers are fabulous as is most of the staff.

You don't mind very low pay. This is the most lucrative of all the hospital's in the entire Arbour Health system and they pay the least. Don't believe the person who says they are doing the best they can with what they have.

That's my 2 cents. Not a very good fit for me but you can decide for yourself. – less
Not a great job
MHA (Former Employee), Pembroke, MADecember 16, 2013
Cons: everything
This is a bottom of the barrel job. The patients are rude and entitled. The work environment is dangerous. Always a shortage of help. The management is out of touch with both employees and patients. The bottom line there is money
Very Rewarding
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee), Pembroke, MAAugust 28, 2013
Pros: love the staff
Cons: being physically hurt
Learned a lot about mental illnesses and became a stronger person working for Pembroke.
Enjoyed my coworkers & patients.
MHA/Lead MHA (Former Employee), Pembroke, MAAugust 13, 2013
Administration needs to be more safety conscious instead of cutting corners & leaving Units understaffed.
You only work there for the patients
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee), Pembroke, MAMay 8, 2013
Pros: patients, scheduling
Cons: management, supervisors, units can be very acute
Working with the patients is the only reason I worked at pembroke. Management doesn't have a clue, and supervisors doesn't understand what it means when a unit is acute. Scheduling is pretty cool though. If you need a a day off last minute she will "make deals". And usually you get better deal by only have to stay for 4 extra hours one day. Co workers – more... were pretty cool for the most part. If you stand working with poor management, it is a rewarding place to work. – less
good atmosphere with no bullying
nurse (Current Employee), Pembroke HospitalApril 6, 2013
Pros;
pleasant environment and comfortable atmosphere
staff is friendly and caring
management has open door policy and they care about the patients
do not get a 'sick feeling" when I know I have to go to work

Cons:
pay could be better
not computerized
staff has to punch in and out for lunch
Best place Ive worked in many years of Nursing.
RN (Current Employee), Pembroke,MaMarch 21, 2013
Pros: all co-workers including nurse managers and above.
Cons: pay could be much better, but they do their best with what they have to work with.
I love Pembroke Hospital. Our mission is all about the patients and everyone works so hard for that reason. It's like working with one big family. Everyone sincerely cares about each other . Managements doors are always open, and they welcome any and all to stop by anytime with problems. They sincerely care, and always follow through. Wish I hadn't – more... wasted so many years at other places I was so unhappy at. – less
Think Twice Before Working @ Pembroke Hospital
RN (Former Employee), Pembroke HospitalAugust 16, 2012
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management, acuity, safety, poor staffing, low morale
Having worked for this employer, I can honestly say my co-workers were hardworking and a pleasure to work with, despite the poor morale of the employees.
Frequently, due to the acuity of the hospital, fast turnover of patients and staff and staffing grids, continued safety of the unit is always at risk. Nursing administration rules with an iron fist – more... and is more punitive than supportive.
Think twice before accepting a position @ Pembroke Hospital. – less

August 25, 2012

The staff is mostly very dedcated and caring while working with very difficult patients and under no support from doctors or management. who care little and take in even the most acute. Management not caring and very punitive. Head for the hills...

Fun place to work but poor management skills
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee), Pembroke, MAAugust 8, 2012
Pros: rewarding when patients improve
Cons: poor management
This was a fun and rewarding place to work, the patient can make or break the unit but they are constantly changing. The staff is fun for the most part but the pay is not great and the supervisors are pretty horrible. They only care about "keeping to the grid" when staffing not taking patient population into consideration.
Staff very supportive
RN (Former Employee), Pembroke MassJuly 23, 2012
Pros: cohesiveness of staff
Cons: poor retention, high turnover on other departments, frequent floating
Loved working with geriatric population
Dedicated Staff
Cohesive coworkers
Willing to learn new things
Great interdisciplinary team
Both good and bad
mha (Former Employee), pembroke, maJune 21, 2012
Pros: the patients
Cons: unsupportive administration, lack of security and safety
This kind of work is definitely a challenge, but if you're doing it because you sincerely want to help this specific population, there will be many rewarding days. Pay is not enough for what you do and enduring some of the risks, but it's a job that offers plenty of overtime and pay benefits. I enjoyed my experience working there, but I can't deny that – more... I'm glad to have found something else. – less
caring motivated and educated staff
Human Rights Officer (Current Employee), Pembroke, MAMay 23, 2012
.pembroke hospital has been one of the best employers I have had a chance to work for
Ratings above should make it clear.
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee), Pembroke, MAMarch 20, 2012
Overall it was an unpleasant experience. Ostensibly; I was to provide care to adult psychiatrically or emotionally impaired patients at an in-patient; short-term facility. There was a great deal of "babysitting", for lack of a better term.