Pembroke Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Awful company to work for
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJuly 18, 2016
The job itself can be rewarding if you enjoy that type of work. Not all patients are "dangerous" but staff are always around to help if safety is a concern. If it wasn't for the awful management maybe I would have stayed. Pay is NOT GOOD, not even close to what you should be making in a place like that. Training is poor, all staff and other orientees/new employees will agree that you will be told to do things numerous different ways making it difficult for you to learn. The nursing supervisors are rude and disrespectful and will lie to you, I was sworn at by a supervisor and it was the first time this guy spoke a word to me. The director of nursing is a joke, she seems sweet but she will treat you like dirt. NO advancement, NO job security. For such a poorly run hospital they reprimand quite a bit. Employees don't stay there long for a reason. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!!
Pros
Patients
Cons
Management, pay, training
Worst company to work for
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMay 11, 2016
This company is a joke, and is being investigated by osha and dmh. I would never send any loved one to be a patient here. MHA's feel entitled and are extremely rude, and most higher ups the same. Very dangerous work environment, where even if you get hurt on the job they will not give you paid time off unless you have been there 3 months. DMH partnered with OSHA threatening to shut down facility due to employee safety and patient safety. They take any patients from the er just to fill beds, not knowing much about them. As well as they don't know how to schedule correctly and constantly are calling people off 2 hours before shift. Which is crazy because they don't want you to call out in your first 3 months but they will call you off if they didn't do their job correctly.
Pros
Working with paitents
Cons
Employees, unsafe environment, everything
Poor management
RN Manager (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJune 1, 2016
At the beginning of my employment I was very happy. I enjoyed my work, the doctors, and especially the patients. I was constantly told what a great job I was doing by upper management. After some time passed, one of the staff nurses complained about me. I told them my side of the story but they chose to believe her and they let me go.(fired) I was disappointed at first but got over it quick. I know that I didn't do anything wrong so I left with a clear conscience.
Pros
Atmosphere, patients, doctors, hours
Cons
Pay, management
Awful
Mha (Former Employee) –  Pembroke maSeptember 1, 2015
This was probably the worst job I have ever had, management is awful unless your a man, then you sort of have a little bit going for you. All so fake and everybody stabs each other in the back.
Pros
Cons
Don't even gets break
a good job.
Maint.mechanic1 (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLNovember 23, 2015
the job was very intense it was on the constant go.you had to know what youwere doing.it was a very busy job.there was always somebody to help you if you needed it.
Pros
bonuseveryyear
Cons
shortbrakes
Excellent Medical Team - Depressent Environment
APPE Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMay 26, 2015
The level of care patients receive here is extraordinary. The doctors are absolutely extraordinary in terms of intelligence - in terms of kindness, they all may be well be Santa Claus. However, it is a very depressing atmosphere and not very suitable for enabling the improvement of one's mental health, in my opinion. For the pharmacy, once again, the staff is phenomenal. The hours were great in that they all start right on time and end....right on time. There was no dilly dallying around when it's time to go home here. The pharmacy closes at 3:30 PM - sharp!
Pros
great doctors and pharmacy staff, awesome hours, $5 substantially portioned hospital meals
Cons
rather poor hospital food, depressing environment, very ill patients
Stressful work,
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MaMay 5, 2015
You work with great people, they pay is great for the type of work that you will be doing. Not much room for advancement either, great starting point for people wanting to learn about either paitent care or psych.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Not much advancements
Best place Ive worked in many years of Nursing.
RN (Current Employee) –  Pembroke,MaMarch 21, 2013
I love Pembroke Hospital. Our mission is all about the patients and everyone works so hard for that reason. It's like working with one big family. Everyone sincerely cares about each other . Managements doors are always open, and they welcome any and all to stop by anytime with problems. They sincerely care, and always follow through. Wish I hadn't wasted so many years at other places I was so unhappy at.
Pros
all co-workers including nurse managers and above.
Cons
pay could be much better, but they do their best with what they have to work with.
You only work there for the patients
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMay 8, 2013
Working with the patients is the only reason I worked at pembroke. Management doesn't have a clue, and supervisors doesn't understand what it means when a unit is acute. Scheduling is pretty cool though. If you need a a day off last minute she will "make deals". And usually you get better deal by only have to stay for 4 extra hours one day. Co workers were pretty cool for the most part. If you stand working with poor management, it is a rewarding place to work.
Pros
patients, scheduling
Cons
management, supervisors, units can be very acute
Think Twice Before Working @ Pembroke Hospital
RN (Former Employee) –  Pembroke HospitalAugust 16, 2012
Having worked for this employer, I can honestly say my co-workers were hardworking and a pleasure to work with, despite the poor morale of the employees.
Frequently, due to the acuity of the hospital, fast turnover of patients and staff and staffing grids, continued safety of the unit is always at risk. Nursing administration rules with an iron fist and is more punitive than supportive.
Think twice before accepting a position @ Pembroke Hospital.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management, acuity, safety, poor staffing, low morale
stressful work environment
mental health associate (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJanuary 22, 2015
Very rewarding job in the right circumstances but was often very under-staffed. This put patients and staff at risk for injury very often.
Pros
amazing co-workers, interesting experience
Cons
poor salary, unsafe work environment
It's a job, nothing more nothing less
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAOctober 12, 2015
As an MHA at Pembroke Hospital, you can expect the following: Being responsible for doing checks every 15 mins, getting patients various items and food, cleaning up during down hours and restraints (Code Green). Essentially, the atmosphere is pretty laid back. People might say it's "unsafe", but most of these patients aren't really physically opposing and you get alot of backup when patients go off the wire. The administration is a bit of a joke, they hire WAY too many college girls who are too squeemish to handle difficult patients and you will see alot of staff members bending the rules when it is convenient. Consistency is also a huge problem, every unit (6 in total) is different in terms of what you can and can't do. Also, as an MHA, you will feel pretty expendable. It is clear that you are just a nameless body that will get transferred from unit to unit at a whim. They will make you a "core" on one unit at first, but that changes pretty quickly. It's easy work, but overall you will find yourself thinking about thinking about looking for another job come your third month. It's not a bad job by any means, but it is definitely a dead end job unless you are interested in being a nurse. Also, the staff is VERY cliqueish, Remember in high school how they was the "in" crowd and then everybody else? Get ready for that. However, working with mental patients is alot of fun and you really meet people from all walks of life. This job also toughens you up quick in terms of confrontations and sticking your ground when some mental patient is swearing at you and calling you every name  more... in the book. I have since left Pembroke Hospital, but all in all, I think the experience helped me grow as a person. If you are fresh out of school, this might be a good position for those who want an easy paycheck and some good old fashioned character building. Please though, if you are a 110 pound college girl, look somewhere else. They have enough of you there. Also, if you last a year you will be considered a veteran. Keep that in mind.  less
Pros
Good pay for easy work, free food, some veteran MHAs are nice
Cons
Younger workers act like they are in high school, uncaring administration, You will get attacked at some point
Both good and bad
mha (Former Employee) –  pembroke, maJune 21, 2012
This kind of work is definitely a challenge, but if you're doing it because you sincerely want to help this specific population, there will be many rewarding days. Pay is not enough for what you do and enduring some of the risks, but it's a job that offers plenty of overtime and pay benefits. I enjoyed my experience working there, but I can't deny that I'm glad to have found something else.
Pros
the patients
Cons
unsupportive administration, lack of security and safety
Fun place to work but poor management skills
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAAugust 8, 2012
This was a fun and rewarding place to work, the patient can make or break the unit but they are constantly changing. The staff is fun for the most part but the pay is not great and the supervisors are pretty horrible. They only care about "keeping to the grid" when staffing not taking patient population into consideration.
Pros
rewarding when patients improve
Cons
poor management
good atmosphere with no bullying
nurse (Current Employee) –  Pembroke HospitalApril 6, 2013
Pros;
pleasant environment and comfortable atmosphere
staff is friendly and caring
management has open door policy and they care about the patients
do not get a 'sick feeling" when I know I have to go to work

Cons:
pay could be better
not computerized
staff has to punch in and out for lunch
Not a great job
MHA (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MADecember 16, 2013
This is a bottom of the barrel job. The patients are rude and entitled. The work environment is dangerous. Always a shortage of help. The management is out of touch with both employees and patients. The bottom line there is money
Cons
everything
You Decide
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMarch 12, 2014
There are a lot of nurses who have been at Pembroke for a long time so it definitely works for some people. It might work for you if:
It is close to home...lets face it, driving into Boston is tough.

You like drama...all hospital settings have drama but working w/an unstable population really ups the anti.

You don't mind being hurt and often feeling unsafe...there is no security to speak of at Pembroke Hospital so you may be required to be directly involved in situations where you could be physically hurt. Many, many cases of worker's comp and many people permanently injured from occurrences here.

You don't mind working understaffed. Just an ongoing issue d/t the high turnover. You are often left shorthanded and there is no consideration of the acuity of patients'. They follow a "grid" which is number of pt's to staff. This is designed to control cost not to manage acuity. So if the 10 pts on your floor are raging psychopath's don't count on having extra staff or if you happen to get extra staff it will be pulled from another unit leaving them short staffed.

You don't mind archaic systems of doing notes and passing meds. Nothing is computerized so there is a lot of room for error.

You don't mind being treated like a child. The upper management (DON) is punitive and reminds me of a grammar school nun. Unit Managers are fabulous as is most of the staff.

You don't mind very low pay. This is the most lucrative of all the hospital's in the entire Arbour Health system and they pay the least. Don't believe the person who says they are doing the best they can with what they have.
  more...

That's my 2 cents. Not a very good fit for me but you can decide for yourself.
Duties at Pembroke Hospital
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MANovember 6, 2014
I worked in a psychiatric hospital providing services that included patient admitting and record retention and providing medication to each floor.
Pros
caf was not bad
Cons
per-diem not enough hours
Ratings above should make it clear.
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMarch 20, 2012
Overall it was an unpleasant experience. Ostensibly; I was to provide care to adult psychiatrically or emotionally impaired patients at an in-patient; short-term facility. There was a great deal of "babysitting", for lack of a better term.
Staff very supportive
RN (Former Employee) –  Pembroke MassJuly 23, 2012
Loved working with geriatric population
Dedicated Staff
Cohesive coworkers
Willing to learn new things
Great interdisciplinary team
Pros
cohesiveness of staff
Cons
poor retention, high turnover on other departments, frequent floating

2.9