Pendleton Woolen Mills Employee Reviews

Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 23, 2017
Great Product. fun to work for.They just don't believe in marketing. The company is still owed by the original family. The corporate office can be a challenging at the top.
Pros
Training is done well.
Cons
Corporate office is a challange.
An excellent company to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 9, 2017
Management is active in encouraging and instructing their employees. There is constantly new things to learn, and management takes the lead in imparting this knowledge. The company takes pride in its culture, and strives to make choices that fit with this culture climate. The supervisors are hands-on.
Pros
Excellent supervisors, great discount on Pendleton products
Cons
Benefits aren't so great for part-timers
Fun & Educational environment to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 2, 2017
Pendleton is all about quality and craftsmanship of the finest wool
garments. The company's history is amazing as it dates back over
153 years. I enjoyed working for Pendleton because they believe in providing a great product, excellent customer service, and creating a life style for associates and customers.

The supportive corporate office is always reachable by phone or email. Issue are resolved quickly and questions answered.

Schedules are flexible and the workplace culture felt like a big happy family environment. Customers were loyal and often stop by daily or weekly to say hello, or drop off gifts.
Pros
great company values and meeting new customers
Cons
The great employee discount make you shop too much
Not a lot of positive aspects
Management Team Member, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 24, 2017
I was with the company for almost 5 years during which time I became very disillusioned with the company and management. There was almost a complete lack of training when the store was opened and after. Our store management was poor during the entire time of my employment. The overall culture was often fun but that was mostly because of co-workers and the wonderful clients. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the apparent lack of concern from management over genuine concerns in the workplace and feeling like no one at the store level has a voice. It is a pretty good part-time job if you are just looking for some extra income or for retired people.
Pros
Part-time benefits and wonderful products
Cons
Poor management, low pay
Very positive enviorment and working hard is appreciated
Sales Associate/manager 2003-2014 (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 23, 2017
I have learned how a family owned company produces quality products made in the USA.
Customers make the job fun. There is great satisfaction in being able to make their shopping experience pleasant.
Pros
Friendly and happy coworkers.
Good job for older people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, ORJanuary 14, 2017
Loved all the customers I got to meet, but the days just drag on during the week. Management was not good, and pretty rude. I feel like they were hired because the company was desperate for people. Product is amazing though!
This was a challenging job where was I hired as an assistant manager but then had to step in as manager.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Los AltosNovember 5, 2016
I had to independently learn how to function as the manager and sales associates stepping into an assistant manager position. Prioritizing, learning each task, and running hourly, daily, weekly and monthly reports was a great experience.
Pros
Beautiful merchandise
Cons
Short staffed, unhealthy work environment
Good Benefits, Decent hours, Badass merchandise.
Sr. Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 26, 2016
While working for Pendleton Woolen Mills, I had endless career advancment opportunities, as well as, 401K benefits & an ever-growing index of useful retail-related experience.
Pros
Low-volume. One-on-one sales
Cons
Older customer-base.
High end retail experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 13, 2016
Working for Pendleton was a dream come true because it's a brand I grew up admiring.
The company is 150 years old and in many ways operates as such. Everything is very outdated and there are 1,000 steps required to accomplish the simplest things.
Corporate has a very strong top down structure that can feel belittling at times and the bureaucracy stinks up the office.
If you like playing the game, shaking hands and making fake smiles, you will thrive in this place of work. The less authentic and more superficial you are the better life will be for you.
Best part of the job is being able to buy Pendleton at a significantly reduced price. Worst part of the job is having zero autonomy/ control/ power and having to run every single idea past 5 people before being able to act.
Pros
discount, 401 k matching, paid vacation & holidays
Cons
limited flexibility and vacation time, corporate lack of transparency
Productive workplace but only certain people get to move up in management.
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anderson, CAJanuary 6, 2016
Opening or closing. Answering phones, helping customers, stocking if needed. Cleaning at closing.
How to be a more responsible employee.
Management was very young.
Co-workers were all pretty good.
Lifting heavy boxes from freight.
When the manager was not there and we could relax.
Pros
Their benefits were good
Cons
Not receiving a raise for four years
Fun workplace with lots of incentives
Catalog Purchase Order Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 5, 2015
Advancement, is very possible at Pendleton. Always looked forward to going to work. Days can be very busy which allowed time to fly by. Learned 5 different positions at Pendleton. Mangement is very understanding and supportive. Co-workers were amazing. Hardest part of job was juggling many tasks at once at times. Most enjoyable was completing tasks and management acknowledging the effort.
Pros
Amazing management
Cons
long hours at times
fun workplace
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 25, 2015
order processing
confirmations of purchase orders
answering phone lines
checking stock of items
making sure orders shipped out
Pros
great work environment
Cons
long travel
Pendleton makes me proud to work here
Fabric Designer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 5, 2015
This is the first job I have had that keeps me thinking about work each night. I come in each day excited to get to work!!! I love that I work for an American Manufacturing company.
Pros
I get to see my designs!
Cons
Hmmmm
Stable family owned business.
Communications Manager Menswear (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 6, 2015
I moved to Portland in 1977 to take the job at Pendleton and was not disappointed. It was a very good company to work for and I only left 11 years later because Pendleton's advertising agency made me an offer that I couldn't refuse!
Not a bad place to work
finishing operator (Former Employee) –  Washougal, WAMarch 6, 2015
Not a bad place to work. I had the greatest supervisor ever on graveyard shift. Worked with some really great people. Kind of laid back. Basically once you learned your job, you could just come in and do it, no one bothered you. bad parts....a lot of blaming between shifts. swing liked to blame days of graves, etc.
Pros
good supervisor, good coworkers, insurance
Cons
no match on 401k
Pendleton Woolen Mills
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VaOctober 31, 2014
Reading e-mail to set store for sales.Reports due on Monday Morning. Payroll,Receiving.
The best part of my job there was selling a quality product and working with customers to satisfy there needs and go above and beyond to get the product they were searching for.I really enjoyed the people I worked with directly.
Pros
A superior product.Made selling easy
Cons
Cooporate office reconstruction.HR department
Classic company with old school values
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 12, 2014
The Pendleton product cannot be matched in quality and design. My roll is 100% telecommute so I cannot speak with any authority about the office environment.
If I had the ability to move to the Portland, Or area, I would pursue a career at the home office.
Great Company Great People
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJuly 1, 2013
My only complaint was when i went to work for the company the store locotion had been decided without really looking at where the mony was flowing for higher end retail in Charleston WV market.
Pros
Great Pay Great work environment
worst retail experience in my career.
store manager (Former Employee) –  pennsylvaniaJune 27, 2013
Run don't walk from this company !!They use you and discriminate against older people, a horrible company to work for. I would not recommend them ever.
Pros
none that I can think of. It was the worst retail management experience I have ever had.
Cons
Upper management is all about getting their bonuses and cutting down staff and supplies to do it.
Productive and friendly work place.
Patternmaker/Pattern Engineer/ Technical Designer (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 16, 2012
It was always pleasant to come in the building every morning. I learned, the whole wool process. It was very nice to work with professionals at what they were doing. The hardest part of the job was controlling new production samples. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see my results and working at a job that requires doing what I love.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pendleton Woolen Mills. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval