PenFed Credit Union Employee Reviews

The most enjoyable part of the job.
Delinquency Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 8, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the members achieve their financial goals. Life can challenge us at any moment and this includes every one of us. Sometimes we all need some guidance and or help when a dire situation arises. I take pride in my work. Everything I do at my job is worth it when I hear relief in someone's voice that ultimately thought their wasn't any solutions on the horizon.
Only if you’re great at sales
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 3, 2018
I started at PenFed after a few years at another institution and I’ve regretted that decision ever since. This is the job for you if you are willing to bother every member who calls in about a credit card or a checking account and willing to allow them to yell at you about it. The PTO accrual is nice and your coworkers are great (mostly due to the shared trauma of working here), but morale is so low.
Pros
Pto, great coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, insane stats, crazy members
Solid Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORDecember 31, 2017
I would work here again because of he job security, the ability to advance, the benefits and the management. There were the usual downsides to working at a call center: conflict resolution and technical issues.
Muna
Mortgage Loan Closer (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, CONovember 25, 2017
It was a nice experience. Not much for career growth but job was very helpful and taught me a lot about mortgages. Is very useful to know about how to look and buy a home.
Fun go-to job to "settle"
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 15, 2017
My typical day at PenFed included morning gossip with my coworkers before diving into a complex load of consumer requests. We learned how to research and maintain customer share accounts and conducted effective and exceptional customer service as a tight nit team.
Pros
Free lunches, fun extra activities
Cons
lengthy advancement process. Upper management unwilling to listen
Work demands too much
Mortgage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 10, 2017
Expectations to work too much. Pay could be better. Benefits good.
Better life to work balance. Expectations for employees too much for job. Upper management only concerned with #'s.
People are okay, but the culture was very toxic
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VANovember 9, 2017
People are okay, but the culture was very toxic. I felt people asked you to lead by examples, but they themselves werent leading by examples. I think I can be their friends, but as professional colleagues, my experience at PenFed was subpar. They do have great rates for everyone!
Stay away
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VANovember 6, 2017
The current direction of management has made this company a pretty miserable place to work. Most of the best employees have already jumped ship and instead of replacing these employees more directors, managers and senior managers have been added to the ranks.
Very competitive and good interest rates.
Universal Rep (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAOctober 30, 2017
Penfed bought out Augusta Metro Federal Credit Union. I was with Penfed for a very short time after they took over. They have very good rates and fantatics online banking.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
To corporate, no longer had the home town personal banking.
Long term assignment was cut short
Sr Project Manager - loan and deposits Agile teams (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 30, 2017
I worked on numerous projects and was transferred multiple times. The work environment was stressful and pressured. I did not make the decision to leave but rather was told my input was no longer needed.
Balanced
Financial AnalystIII (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 25, 2017
The job is very well defined and structured. There is no much emergency on a daily basis. Sr. management are reasonable. It is a good place to work for staff.
Very productive, sales heavy
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 8, 2017
Your work is regularly reviewed by your superiors and you will meet with them regularly to discuss your goals. If you meet all of your goals, you will get rewarded with paid leave, candy, or gift cards. It was a lovely place to work.
Great Place
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OR 97401October 5, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Penfed and honestly would like to go back. I enjoyed the diversity and the work and all the people there. It would be my first choice.
Pros
Great building with gym
Cons
Unable to walk to shopping
Plenty of advancement opportunities
DELINQUENCY CONTROL LEAD SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXSeptember 27, 2017
this was a highly enjoyable position, with lots of opportunities for advancement. the hardest part of this job, was having to leave. If I did not have to relocate, I would have been there till this day
Pros
excellent work/life balance
PenFed
Teller (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCSeptember 27, 2017
Working at Pentagon Federal was a good experience and I learned a lot about the financial side of the banking industry and customer service. Fun job and filled with great people.
member service rep
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 22, 2017
work is relatively easy, though trying to hit your monthly sales quotas while maintaining a high call volume and low call times is a pain unless you like phone sales.
Fair place to work with serious communication issues
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 21, 2017
This place is one of the best call centers that you can work at.

You are paid fairly, you have excellent benefits, and you have the ability to respond appropriately and properly deny ridiculous requests and stop people who are causing trouble and being extremely toxic.

The main problem is the lack of communication - there is minimal communication of problems from operations/call center people and upper management, leading to slow solutions and unsatisfying explanations when there are explanations and assurances of a solution at all.
Pros
More agency, exercise center, occasional free lunches.
Cons
Communication between departments
Meh
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  NebraskaSeptember 15, 2017
If you like call centers it isn't terrible. Just personally for me it wasn't a good fit. You have to be constantly available for phone calls. It feels like you don't have enough time to breathe, like ever. And they are currently expanding, which means they are merging with other credit unions and the influx of calls is currently off the charts.
Pros
Hour lunches, benefits, Pto
Cons
Extremely fast paced. Stressful
great environment, fun, always helpful
Deliquency Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 7, 2017
Each day I learned something new which I liked a lot, the company was growing and adding new accounts at a fast pace. I collected on everything that the bank offered that had become delinquent, such as car loans, bank loans, credit cards etc. Hardest part was keeping up with the new system implementations, but as everything new there is always a learning curve. The people I worked with were great, always helpful, management sat with you in your department and there was always some type of office activity going on to motivate you.
Pros
gym on campus, contests, team outtings
merger/new policies
Delinquency Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 28, 2017
PENFED is a great company, just the change from what was VALOR made a transition very difficult. PENFED working environment was very structured and member concentrated.
Cons
new policies/difficult to adjust

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PenFed Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9