PenFed Credit Union Employee Reviews

Responsible for managing two Retail branch locations in Maryland and New Jersey
Branch Manager III (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 18, 2017
Managed and directed team(s) to achieve business results and customer experience goals. Developed team members while monitoring progress against goals.

Managed risk/return and drove quality for new and/or existing clients. Mitigated different types of risk, such as regulatory, reputational, operational, credit and human capital risks. Served as an escalation point for risk management topics, coordinated problem solving within exception authority.
too much work and members, so little staff
TELLER I (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 17, 2017
being part of the actual branch, front-line team was difficult. changes were difficult. didn't get help fast enough when people quit. upper management was hard to get a hold of. branch manager and co-workers were nice to work with. hated that most holidays we were open and there was no reason for that, the days were slow. no holiday pay if you worked or didn't. only off on thanksgiving and Christmas. the company is growing too fast and cannot staff enough people quick enough for everyday operations in-branch. spent a lot of my days working overtime.
Pros
occasional free lunches, health care plans
Cons
upper management
Fast paced growing credit union
Senior Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 4, 2017
Good credit union to work for. Technology is dated. Growth is fast and could be planned better. Management in most areas are good. Have to work most holidays.
Very friendly place to work
MSR (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 3, 2017
daily get together to discuss ny mew issues. Ability to work from home which was amazing. Answer calls from members and assist with loans, banking, online issues, take loan applications over the phone so the member knew what they were app. was approved for. Assist members in any possible to prevent them needing to call back in.
Used to be a great place to work
Held several positions (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 5, 2017
PenFed, used to be a great place to work. I used to love working there. In the past 2 years there have been a lot of management changes along with a new CEO. The morale has changed and it has become a typical big corporation....all about the money, not the members or the employees. The managers micromanage you and treat you like a child. They also don't communicate well. Policies constantly change, so you don't always know if you are making a mistake or not. Then when you do make a mistake, you are ridiculed. PenFed lacks properly training their managers. Anyone can be a manager as long as you are favored and you have friends in management. Very clicky. I would not recommend PenFed for longevity.
Pros
Decent pay, paid time off, employer match 401k
Cons
Mangement, high stress.
demeaning culture
MSR (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 1, 2017
overbearing management style with no forward thinking. Appears to have no care for staffs needs. Lacking on site parking staff has to shuttle to th e office.
No advancement
Account Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 8, 2017
They consider that your a good as you arrive. They stress you and don't help you get everything little by little. management is bad, I would say that one person is managing and when he don't like you, you will be for sure out.
stressful day with expectancy for the employees not cleared
Operation Officer (Former Employee) –  Ft. Buchanan, PRMay 1, 2017
the hardest part of working at PenFed is having Presidents and VP's that change opinions one sec to another and not keeping a clear real objective maintaining the supervisors at branches guessing
Excellent Workplace with many opportunities for advancement
Have held many titles (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 26, 2017
If you are willing to work hard, be flexible, and try your best there are many opportunities for advancement. The company acknowledges hard work, valued skills, and characteristics and promotes those people as opposed to just promoting based on seniority. The people that are not getting advancements are late, unreliable, negative attitude, all of which we do not want here at PenFed. We like to create a drama free, friendly workplace, where people come to work to do their jobs and do it well.

The vacation days that you get each year are out of this world amazing! The pay is comparable to most other similar positions at other institutions, leaning on the lower side I would say, but the benefits and atmosphere by far make it a comparable package.
Pros
Great Management, Opportunity for Growth
Cons
Can be stressful certain times of the year
Comfortable work place
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Bolling AFB, DCApril 22, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Penfed. I had all friendly co-workers and a great branch manager. The hardest part was learning all that came with the job but it was an amazing experience. The most enjoyable part was getting to brighten a customers day.
Used to be nice
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 12, 2017
Company changed when management changed. In my specific area if the boss didn't like you, you'd better find another job. Basically you get blackballed within the company and there is zero chance for growth or moving to another department.
Pros
free coffee.
Cons
favoritism, hindering growth rather than straight out firing you.
Good starter work place
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 11, 2017
I was employed here for 2.5 years. I enjoyed working here over all. However, I have a lot of complaints. The sales requirements per month are excessive and very hard for people to meet. I struggled with those the entire time. Right before I quit they actually increased those as if they weren't already hard enough to meet. They also told me all the time they were all about promoting. I tried many times to promote and it always went to someone more favored. There is a lot of favoritism. There is a strong lack of communication between departments. Their unscheduled leave policy is ridiculous. If you leave an hour early due to being sick it still counts as a full day against you who h affects promotion ability and job security. Overall I really enjoyed the people I worked with, and the job itself, but it was very hard to satisfy them.
Pros
Decent pay, friendly atmosphere, fun workplace
Cons
Communication, sales requirments
entirely to focused on making money through loan sales
Member service rep (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEApril 11, 2017
i liked the management and the hours and pay was decent and benefits are really good. they just need to focus more on member service and less on selling loans.
Pros
management is really nice and benefits are really good
Cons
hours arent always what you are told
Painful experience
Processor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 10, 2017
Generally awful environment. They just work you until you have carpal tunnel. Your department will be denied a raise for 2 years for no good reason and they just add more and more work without thinking of its impact on employee happiness, The place is toxic.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
too many to list
Not the place to work if you want to advance...
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAApril 7, 2017
The work is fine, it's stressful sometimes -- but you'll love most your co-workers. The problem here is management/leadership. There are a lot of them that have absolutely no background in the department that they are leading, and sometimes even less experience managing people.

I guess the good thing about working here is that it's pretty hard to get fired...though that's also a reason why management is pretty poor.

There is no review process for management, or if there is, they don't really do anything better. If leadership changed here...it would be an amazing place to work.

I don't mean to sound like some kind of disgruntled employee, because I actually love the work I do and the environment is decent...but a lot of the decisions by your superiors will leave you scratching your head, and when it goes south "I told you so..." isn't the thing they want to hear.

Get used to being stuck in the same spot forever. Path for advancement is non-existent.
Pros
Nice new building in Tysons Corner
Cons
Poor upper management.
Versatile, Can be challenging, Community minded. Promotes from within.
First Mortgage Post Closing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 1, 2017
Promotes from within and trains. A lot of diversity. Lots of available community service projects. Can be a fun place to work. Supervisors really communicate and are open for new ideas.

Has daily, weekly and monthly progress meetings. Folks enjoy spending time with other.

The hardest is keeping up with new regulations from government.
Pros
Each area has their own lunch parties, plus company paid ones. Celebrate different holidays, decorate and dress up for them. Opportunities for fundraising and community services projects.
Great staff, Great environment etc.
Data Analytics Intern (Marketing Department) (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 19, 2017
I couldn't honestly say this was my favorite internship. I always felt like I was at home, never stressed and learned an ample amount of new skills in my field of Marketing.
It was a fun job. Liked working there.
MSR/Teller (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 17, 2017
I liked PenFed. The job itself was fun because you got to do a variety of things there. I did Equity Loans .I helped with credit card charges. I helped with car loans. I did CD's. I did credit card applications.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Had to work 10 hours on Saturdays.
Great company to work for
Sr. advisory infrastructure engineer (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 15, 2017
Great company to work for. Company is going through major infrastructure upgrade to match/exceed industry's expectation.

CEO's support in supporting managements vision is unsurpassed.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No opportunity without a degree
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 12, 2017
I hated going to work at Penfed, the job was overwhelming at first, then mind numbingly boring once you got the feel for it. There are some office politics that affect promotion even if your stats are good. The stats though... You need so many checking accounts, loans, credit insurance policies, auto policies all while answering 7.5 calls or better per hour and being at your desk 80% of the time you're there (Including lunch). I understand while Wells Fargo had the scams as management is breathing down your neck to perform and sell at Penfed as well. All for no commission! They have an A - F grading system where you get an overall GPA. But the supreme stat is your surveys, which are only triggered once you take a loan application or money market certificate. So if they get turned down, which many will, they blast you on your survey. Bad surveys means no promotion, despite management promising it wouldn't affect promotion upon rolling out the survey system. You can't even apply for a promotion if your surveys and stats aren't good, and many "promotions," are lateral moves. Meaning, same pay, but you may hate your job less. Most everybody at Penfed complains about Penfed and the majority are looking for another job. I did learn a lot about banking and credit reports here though. Very poor morale here, and once you leave you can not cash out on paid time off.
Pros
Good paid time off
Cons
Morale, stats, surveys, culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PenFed Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9