PENGUIN GROUP USA Employee Reviews

Great place to work with one exception
Problem Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittston, PAJune 15, 2017
I had only one problem with working for Penguin. There was one woman in my same position who was threatened by my close friendship with one of our bosses and she set out to make my life miserable.

She reported me to HR for things that did not happen and she got another team member involved. When I was asked to leave because of an illness I was almost relieved even though I loved the job. I had good reason to sue the company but I did not because of my friendship with one of the Vice Presidents. I didn't want him to feel he had to either defend me or cut me off.
Pros
Great job with great benefits
Cons
HR that was easily misslead
Good company to work for
Returns Representative (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJJuly 27, 2016
Good company to work for. I enjoyed working there for over 17 years, I learned a lot over the years that I worked there. Worked well over the years working there and adapted to the changes the company went through.
Pros
longevity and positive environment overall
Cons
my department was outsourced and my job was eliminated.
Was a great place until local warehouse closed.
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYJune 9, 2016
Picked orders for orders that had to be shipped. Was able to get a forklift license, and was able to advance until the company downsized.
forklift
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYNovember 13, 2015
worked there a long time and management was ok. It was difficult at times to have a new idea because we were to do things the old way no matter what. Management did try. The hardest part was the other coworkers more than anything
great benefits
Processor (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYJuly 31, 2015
start opening boxes of shipments coming in from warehouse, how to manage time. management was helpful to any questions I had, co-workers enjoyable.

hardest part of job was sometimes boxes coming in were very heavy and had to lift on to a small table to process while standing all day long.

most enjoyable part was being around friends while working
Pros
extra activities like doing walks for charities and receiving books at a discount price
Company has good benefits
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bergenfield, NJ and East Rutherford, NJJune 8, 2015
Company went through a merger with Random House to become Penguin Random House. Job security is questionable. However the benefits are good and there is also a discount on books.
Great books, short staffed
Assistant Manager, Advertising and Promotions (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2014
This company needs to employ more people so that people can exceed expectations rather than struggling to meet expectations due to heavy workload.
Just a job, nothing special .
Forklift Technician (Current Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYJune 29, 2014
I run my own Department. In my 6 years I have never taken a sick day and have never been tardy!
Compensation is OK but there are no performance reviews and everyone gets the same raises.
Management doesn't seem to plan ahead. Everything is reactionary, not pro active!
Many workers are over paid and are allowed to get away with abusing the sick day policies.
Working with people who take advantage of the system is hard for me
I enjoy doing a quality job and having visitors recognize a job well done..
Pros
6% 401K
Cons
The company is closing next year!!!
Co-workers were great
Assistant Manager-Logistics (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJApril 5, 2014
PGI was a good learning experience. The salary scale was low.
Great Company. Changes ahead with merger
MANAGER, Strategy and Planning Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2014
I loved my job here and stayed for 16 years until the merger with Random House ended in the elimination of our department.
Pros
Great co-workers and upper management
Cons
ongoing merger
valuable work experience
Publicity Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2013
It's a valuable work experience, especially if you fall under the right management.
Good place to work and good benifits
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYFebruary 28, 2013
My typical day at work is figuring out on what is the best approach in moving product. To maintain a good safe work place. The people are very nice in both Management and employees. The hardest part of my job is the constant lifting, but it's satisfying to see the accomplishments at the end of the day.
Pros
good benefit packages
Cons
hard work
Progressive and employee oriented company.
Correspondence Admin (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJSeptember 11, 2012
A typical day was busy which was great because I don't like being bored. Asking management for more work opened me up to working with other departments and learning more. Co-workers were there to keep the company running smoothly. The hardest part of working there was when I ran out of work, but asking for more responsibility and learning was the highlight of my experience there.
Pros
lots of holidays.
Cons
45 minute lunch.
stinks dont bother you will regrett it.
Material Handler, Group Leader, Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYMarch 10, 2012
used to be a good company but new management took over and is wrecking the place. probably a good place for a woman to work but give the cold sholder to men . different standards for different people even though they say everyone is equal.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management sucks, especially if you are a male