Peninsula Community Health Services Employee Reviews

Demoralizing and confusing
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Soldotna, AKJanuary 31, 2015
As a Clerical Assistant:
-Inconsistent expectations. We had to create our own list of tasks, requirements, how-to-do's, etc based on personal experience as problems occurred.
-Portions of what was learned were self taught through trial and error experience, others through more experienced front desk workers, and some from communication directly with Providers to know/understand what needed to be done - could not rely on supervisor for efficient training. Became adept at analyzing situations with clients/patients so that their needs and our safety were taken care of.
-When addressing problems, there is a risk of write-ups and/or termination.
-Suggestions: Print off emails - which do not contain confidential information (HIPAA violations are an automatic termination and rightly so) - that your supervisor sends you. Also print off your responses. This might create a little bit of a safety-net if they don't like you, or because you try to push for better functioning within the company. Readily accessible documentation will aid you greatly.
-Supervisor was difficult to contact and rarely in our office unless there was a problem against us. Problems that could possibly have been avoided if a fully-trained supervisor was there and seeing what was happening/assisting in addressing issues/ready to provide support and encouragement.
-Original co-workers were inadequate and constantly on their cell phones, leaving work undone and a mess that took months to clean up once they were gone. Current front desk workers strive to understand what needs to take place to provide excellent services
  more... to the community.
-As front desk workers, problems that occurred were dropped on us and blamed on us - though we had no true authority in the company - and we did not have support from our supervisor.
-As we made headway in creating a more consistent and positive front desk area, we were more easily able to go about our tasks without needing to worry about our supervisor and whether or not she was needed in a situation - based on experience at this point, we knew we were on top of things and capable of dealing with our difficult jobs. We were able to somewhat relax and begin to build rapport with clientele as well as providers.
Pros
i had benefits (paid time off) for the first time, current front desk workers do their job and were an encouragement to be around.
Cons
lack of communication, over-stressed, lack of supervisory personnel where they were needed, it felt like the most ridiculous job in the world.
High stress place to work, but fun at times.
Administrative Assistant/Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WashingtonSeptember 19, 2014
Creating and implementing corporate imaging, business cards and letterhead, annual reports, typing letters to administrators, healthcare providers, and to customers. Assisting Human Resource Director, maintaining employee files and handbooks. Opening and delivering mail to providers and staff.

Some of the managers were highly unprofessional at times when dealing with staff who often found it difficult to work efficiently when they were around. I believe education and training in the ways of leading people would have been beneficial not only to those in charge, but for those who worked for them. Yelling in a person's face in front of others was a practice I observed more than once. While they were very good at networking and getting donations from sponsors for the organization, they were not employee friendly at all. I believe that these qualities are what led to a VERY HIGH turnover rate at that time, which is very costly to an organization.

My immediate supervisor was very professional and did everything in her power to assist and encourage me to succeed in my position.

In spite of my less than favorable opinion, I enjoyed working there because of the staff and their dedication to give the best possible healthcare to their patients.
Pros
benefits, 9-5 five days a week, sick and vacation leave
Cons
poor leadership
Did all kinds of care
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Soldotna, AKNovember 5, 2013
Evaluate and treat patients within the scope of training, and capabilities as a health care professional
Be a patient advocate
Coordinate care with health care providers
Collect and document vital signs and history in the patient’s (EMR) medical record
Offer support and assistance to the provider
Pros
learning a lot
Cons
give shots to baby, hard for me.
Comfortable place to work
Administrative Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Soldotna, AKOctober 13, 2012
A very fast paced environment that kept you busy all day. The physician was very personable and informative. My coworkers always made me laugh throughout the day. The hardest part of the job was listening to the children cry when they got their immunizations. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was praised for workIng hard and getting the job done.
Pros
working with personable employees
Cons
short lunch breaks
Review
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAAugust 7, 2012
Fun workplace and challenging job with plenty of room to grow.
Pros
vacation earn is more than any company of the same size. supervisors very flexible. family oriented.
Cons
short breaks
Fun and Supportive Place to Work
Behavioral Health Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Soldotna, AKMay 30, 2012
I really enjoyed my employment at PCHS. It is an excellent company to work for. However, for it being in the health industry it had less than adequate health care coverage for its employees.