Penn-Mar Human Services Employee Reviews

poor
staff (Former Employee) –  mdNovember 7, 2015
If they don't like you..... remember you are at will in Md. for nonprofit.

Lots of lose liabilities.

Consumers may be at risk for theft, and safety harm.
Pros
lunch time always for managers.
Cons
no communication
Productive and fun place to work
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 9, 2015
I absolutely love working at Penn-Mar. At first I was a little hesitate because I didn't know what I would be getting myself into, but since my very first day everything has been great. I work in Maryland and the consumers I work with are absolutely amazing! These guys are just a bubble of fun and they keep you on your toes and laughing. I honestly can say I'm excited to get up and go to work and I put as much overtime as i can in. I have a wonderful supervisor and we have a great team in our house. Everyone works together and get the job done. The hardest part of the job is dealing with different behaviors but it's so worth it to me. I love to be one of the reasons these guys smile.
Pros
As much overtime as you want
Cons
NONE so far!
love it
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  White Hall, MDJune 20, 2015
pennmar is a awesome place to work no complaints, the managers are great and you get a lot of employee perks, they have fun activities for you to do and silly contest to participate in. you can always get gift cards. if you refer people you get money incentives
Clients are wonderful, However some of the management is a joke
DIRECT CARE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Freeland,MDMay 31, 2015
Lovely place to work, however some of the program managers really could are less about the employees. They tend to promote from within, and the promotions they make tend to be questionable at times to say the least. I did move up quickly within the company, however the supervisor I had cared more about her home life & men than about the individuals in her care, multiple complaints were made to higher up management and nothing was done about it. Ended up leaving the company due to this.
Pros
Great individuals to take care of
Cons
Lack of professionalism in supervisors
Everyday brings new challenges
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MDMay 26, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship at Penn-Mar. I learned many new skills like Citrix at my internship that I believe have expanded my knowledge and prepared me for a future in the IT field. I enjoyed the new challenges every day brought. I also enjoyed being able to teach others how to use new programs and installing them.
Great organization with great Values
Residential Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Glen Rock, PAMay 14, 2015
Working with adults with IDD is never an easy task, however Penn-Mar really helps these individuals have a more meaningful day on a daily basis. The management team and co-workers at Penn-Mar are great.
Pros
Make a difference in someones life, great staff, great surrounding team
Cons
Lack of pay, on call 24/7
a place to care for great individuals
Adult Development Trainer - Maryland Line Facility (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MDMay 13, 2015
This place is a great place to work if you're focused on caring for others. Some of the previous reviews though hit the nail on the head. The biggest was if you aren't in the management click you're routinely ignored, and if you make head way with a consumer as your patients are called your credit is given elsewhere, typically to the presiding nurse/manager. The behavior plans were ridiculously written with positive reinforcement being used in such a delayed manner that it served no purpose, or used anything tangible for that individual.
Yet the biggest gripe from working there is the management team and their lack of care for their staff. As long as positions were filled in the more difficult houses they considered their job done and couldn't be found after 430. If it was a holiday be prepared for the statement that if you have off you're going to be paid twice if you work that holiday, and when only making 22 thousand a year you didn't want to miss out on overtime. Because if you decided to take the holiday off as already promised to you, you lost other overtime you might have recieved. If a situation arose that their training didn't prepare you for be ready to face a review, where you do not get to defend yourself, or even know it's happening, because you are typically found at fault even though you aren't prepared.
Pros
to see someone you care for smile
Cons
working at Penn mar
Great opportunity to work with adults with developmental disabilities
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glen Rock, PAApril 28, 2015
Loved working with the clients to teach and learn from their experiences. Watching them acquire a new skill was thrilling to say the least. Unfortunately, the work load was almost unbearable. You had to document everything for state purposes.
Pros
mileage reimbursement
Cons
always worked most days off
workplace enivroment
residential assisant (Current Employee) –  freeland, mdMarch 18, 2015
the consumers are great - management could care more. if they took the time out to talk to their staff regularly and address concerns or issues, they would keep more staff.
productive,fun,free stuff.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  PAOctober 14, 2014
very productive work day.i learned to manage my time at work pulling work orders.the boss understanding and was nice.my co-workers were nice nad fun to work with.the hardest part of my job was truck loads that were damaged.the most enjoyable part was the people.
Pros
once a month pot luck lunches
Cons
health care
The Right Connections will Get You Everything
Senior Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Freedom, MDAugust 17, 2014
My first 3 years was outstanding. I had a young and creative supervisor who developed a strong team of support workers. Under her guidance the group home was more like an extension of your own life as opposed to "just a job". The individuals we cared for excelled as well (all were on behavioral plans when sent to the group home). By the time she left, none were on behavior plans. A typical day involved medication administration, meal preparation and assistance with dressing. I worked the weekend shift and planned many of the social outings done with my individuals. We celebrated holidays, birthdays and sometimes 'just for fun'. We rarely had a full staff and usually worked a lot of overtime hours. There was very little support from management but we didn't care. For the most part we were self-sustaining and required little assistance. We loved working with our consumers and they showed significant improvement in social and other skills for mastery of independent living.
Pros
lot of independence. great relationships with consumers and co-workers.
Cons
lack of recongnition and support from managment if you do not belong to "the members only" club
Loved this job
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, PANovember 4, 2013
A typical night at work, would consist of preparing the residents for bed, administering medications, and completing charts. In the morning, getting them ready for work or appointments, and prepare breakfast. I learned to communicate with the non verbal residents, to empathize. I worked alone so I did not interact as much with management. The hardest part of my job was working in homes where the residents were on hospice, that was really hard for me, as I got attached to my residents. The most enjoyable part of my job was providing them with the best care I could. Seeing them smile.
Pros
advancement
Cons
distance
Interesting workplace where no day is the same.
Certified Medical Technician certifications (Current Employee) –  Freeland, MDAugust 2, 2013
There are no typical days because we turn life to living. My job is to enhance our clients life each and every day. The most enjoyable facet of my job is that I get to take our clients wherever I choose or wherever they want to travel (as long as it's approved). Management is great because everything must be approved before actually done; thus, there is excellent communication between employees.
Close family atmosphere
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glen Rock, PAMay 9, 2013
Evening gets started with dispense of PM medication, get tooth brush, mouth wash and mouth swab together. Put medication cup on the kitchen table, put the tooth brush/others in the bathroom on the counter top. Prompt to take medications and do teeth routine. Get a health snack prepared before resident would go to bed. Take out trash and clean up the resident apartment as needed. Wake resident to get up to use the bathroom.

learned to slow down and be patient. Some people don't go as fast as we do.

Supervisor is open to ideas and is available anytime.
My hardest part is getting the resident to do what needs to be completed.
Most put I enjoy is the closeness and respect everyone has for eachother and working together.
wonderful staff and amazing families and committees
Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MDApril 23, 2013
Surprises at every turn....Continuous success amid the behind the scenes action....Such a delight working with the volunteer committees and enjoying the events and the look of accomplishments on some supportive faces....
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Worst management I have ever seen
;) Can't say (Current Employee) –  MarylandFebruary 5, 2013
There are more then one issue with this company and mid or lower management or lack of....
Cons
a lot to list
Frustrating, Challenging, Poor Management, and No Reward.
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MarylandJanuary 22, 2013
Penn-Mar might be an overall okay organization to work with for other people; however, my experience with it has been less than satisfactory. Benefits are terrible; expect to pay $3,000-$5,000 in deductibles alone if you are the type that visits the doctor often. Management is more often than not poor, and Penn-Mar seems to have a history of hiring incorrect people for supervisory positions. The consumers are very challenging at times due to the lack of consequences for their negative behaviors; for example, a consumer could walk up to you and spit in your face and you would only be able to tell them how "not nice" that was. You are not permitted to tell the consumers "no", so many of them display learned maladaptive behaviors due to the lack of negative reinforcement. The consumers do not receive the proper education and learning through Penn-Mar's adjunct facilities, and are unprepared to immerse themselves in their communities due to this fact. Also, do not expect any reward if you are employed with Penn-Mar for any lengthy period of time. Seniority does not entitle you to promotions, pay raises, or transfers. A person with less experience than you will be hired on as your supervisor- this happens quite frequently.
Using earned vacation time is difficult as well; in order to use vacation hours, you must find coverage for every single hour that you plan to not work. Therefore, if you do not find the coverage (which is very possible here), you do not take the vacation.
Overall, there are better organizations where the employees are better able to truly make a difference in
  more... lives of people with disabilities. Three years was more than enough for me.  less
Pros
most meals are free.
Cons
stricter-than-necessary smoking regulations, poor management
My experience as a senior residential assistant
Senior Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Freeland, MarylandJanuary 16, 2013
A creative and active work environment. My shift runs 2PM Fridays thru 10PM Sundays. The two individuals that I care for expect dynamic adventures and are ready at pick-up on Fridays for a spectacular weekend. We usually enjoy activities such as dining-out, going to a movie, vacations, visiting the pet store, bowling or enjoying a play etc. Sometimes I entertain them at the group home with crafts such as making colorful sand bottles or creating and decorating various holiday ornaments, etc. They love listening to music in the van while on erranes to the grocery store, on medical visits or just riding around. I enjoy a extraordinary relationship with both individuals and their parents. I work alone (without staff support) and choose most of the activities that we do. There is little input from management to our daily routine but always quick responses to my request for help. I learned that individuals with disabilities develop a steadfast and loyal bond to people they come to trust. I also learned that they are far more intelligent then given credit for. The individuals I care for have daily chores and are encouraged to be as independent. I have come to learn that people with intellectual/behaviioral disabilities are rarely judgemental and very instinctive. The most enjoyable part of my job is that most times it doesn't feel like a job but....an experience.
Can be fun, depends on which house or position you are placed in.
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glen Rock, PASeptember 25, 2012
It is a good job if you like working with the developmentally disabled. Benefits aren't very good considering my manager told me not to get pregnant. Also they just learned of my pregnancy and now I am under suspension and investigation, but no one will tell me what for.
Pros
paid meals most often.
Cons
people you work in houses understand better than managers and riverside, managers "think" they know your consumers.
easy place to wotk
Direct Care Staff/ Senior Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MDMay 9, 2012
Working with client on a one on one basis, Helping them to do their ADL, get the out into the community, Run medcial appointmnet. Shopping and all there day to dat livcing skills
Pros
a great place to work to meet need client, and to be able to share, the wold with them, alo the company allow you to get overtime, if you need it
Cons
hills driving, winter month it can be a challenge, just getting there.

2.9