Penn-Mar Human Services Employee Reviews

Does not support staff
Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Freeland, MDAugust 20, 2017
Management does not appreciate nor support their staff. Even after working for 4+ years and thousands of hours of OT, staff is harassed and belittled. Co-workers and individuals you work with are the only reason to stay.
Pros
You can meet some amazing people
Cons
Management and pay
Over worked and under paid
Residential Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 11, 2017
Company and cause are great. BUT like most health care it is very under paid and under staffed. Everyone burns out too fast. The higher management needs to do better at communicating to the other managers and dealing with issues when they happen.
Pros
$100 at christmas
Cons
Min pay, horrible upper management
Love working with the clients and house staff.
Full Time Floater (Former Employee) –  Glen Rock, PAAugust 3, 2017
A typical day at work could be easy going or full speed ahead depending on which house I was working in. There is direct care involving bathing, dressing and feeding someone or being a 1:1 staff with someone who is high functioning. I loved working with the clients and many of the staff are like family. The most enjoyable part of the job is the unconditional love from the clients. They are happy to see you and love spending time with you. The hard part is always needing to find help to cover hours and getting support from the office staff.
Pros
Spending time with the clients.
Cons
As an industry, the pay is small to the level of care the average employee will provide for the client.
Good place to work for people with a caring heart
1 Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glen Rock, PAFebruary 1, 2017
Penn Mar can be a stressful place to work, however; it is very rewarding. I've learned how patient of a person I really am. It is nice that you can do up to 24 hours of overtime per week.
caregiver
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MDDecember 21, 2016
very professional very good team work love to be able to put a smile on my patient face and I learn how to be patient with people
Fun, yet productive work environment.
Career Coach (Current Employee) –  Glen Rock, PANovember 26, 2016
I've been with a Pennmar for 9 months now. I have worked in 2 separate locations within the company, and have subbed at multiple others. The staff is great, friendly and knowledgeable. The trainings are helpful and it is a very fun and educational experience.
Pros
Hanging out with awesome individuals
Cons
Limited income. Not much involvement from higher ups.
Good experience
Driver (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, PAJune 3, 2016
I enjoyed my job as driver for Penn Mar, because of the interactions I had with the clients as I drove them to and from their appointments.
Since they were physically and mentally challenged adults, I was impressed with the obstacles they had to overcome in order to work and be productive citizens. Sometimes it was challenging, however, if the clients were experiencing interpersonal problems or a personal problem. Part of my job was to assist them in resolving their conflicts, which was also rewarding.
Great place to make a difference in someone's life.
Program instructor (Current Employee) –  Freeland, MDNovember 21, 2015
Fun and challenging work environment. Management is very strict. It is hard to advance if you do not know the right people. The individuals we serve make it all worth while. You can tell that you are really making a difference in the clients lives.
poor
staff (Former Employee) –  mdNovember 7, 2015
If they don't like you..... remember you are at will in Md. for nonprofit.

Lots of lose liabilities.

Consumers may be at risk for theft, and safety harm.
Pros
lunch time always for managers.
Cons
no communication
love it
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  White Hall, MDJune 20, 2015
pennmar is a awesome place to work no complaints, the managers are great and you get a lot of employee perks, they have fun activities for you to do and silly contest to participate in. you can always get gift cards. if you refer people you get money incentives
Clients are wonderful, However some of the management is a joke
DIRECT CARE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Freeland,MDMay 31, 2015
Lovely place to work, however some of the program managers really could are less about the employees. They tend to promote from within, and the promotions they make tend to be questionable at times to say the least. I did move up quickly within the company, however the supervisor I had cared more about her home life & men than about the individuals in her care, multiple complaints were made to higher up management and nothing was done about it. Ended up leaving the company due to this.
Pros
Great individuals to take care of
Cons
Lack of professionalism in supervisors
Everyday brings new challenges
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MDMay 26, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship at Penn-Mar. I learned many new skills like Citrix at my internship that I believe have expanded my knowledge and prepared me for a future in the IT field. I enjoyed the new challenges every day brought. I also enjoyed being able to teach others how to use new programs and installing them.
Great organization with great Values
Residential Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Glen Rock, PAMay 14, 2015
Working with adults with IDD is never an easy task, however Penn-Mar really helps these individuals have a more meaningful day on a daily basis. The management team and co-workers at Penn-Mar are great.
Pros
Make a difference in someones life, great staff, great surrounding team
Cons
Lack of pay, on call 24/7
a place to care for great individuals
Adult Development Trainer - Maryland Line Facility (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MDMay 13, 2015
This place is a great place to work if you're focused on caring for others. Some of the previous reviews though hit the nail on the head. The biggest was if you aren't in the management click you're routinely ignored, and if you make head way with a consumer as your patients are called your credit is given elsewhere, typically to the presiding nurse/manager. The behavior plans were ridiculously written with positive reinforcement being used in such a delayed manner that it served no purpose, or used anything tangible for that individual.
Yet the biggest gripe from working there is the management team and their lack of care for their staff. As long as positions were filled in the more difficult houses they considered their job done and couldn't be found after 430. If it was a holiday be prepared for the statement that if you have off you're going to be paid twice if you work that holiday, and when only making 22 thousand a year you didn't want to miss out on overtime. Because if you decided to take the holiday off as already promised to you, you lost other overtime you might have recieved. If a situation arose that their training didn't prepare you for be ready to face a review, where you do not get to defend yourself, or even know it's happening, because you are typically found at fault even though you aren't prepared.
Pros
to see someone you care for smile
Cons
working at Penn mar
Great opportunity to work with adults with developmental disabilities
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glen Rock, PAApril 28, 2015
Loved working with the clients to teach and learn from their experiences. Watching them acquire a new skill was thrilling to say the least. Unfortunately, the work load was almost unbearable. You had to document everything for state purposes.
Pros
mileage reimbursement
Cons
always worked most days off
workplace enivroment
residential assisant (Current Employee) –  freeland, mdMarch 18, 2015
the consumers are great - management could care more. if they took the time out to talk to their staff regularly and address concerns or issues, they would keep more staff.
productive,fun,free stuff.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  PAOctober 14, 2014
very productive work day.i learned to manage my time at work pulling work orders.the boss understanding and was nice.my co-workers were nice nad fun to work with.the hardest part of my job was truck loads that were damaged.the most enjoyable part was the people.
Pros
once a month pot luck lunches
Cons
health care
The Right Connections will Get You Everything
Senior Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Freedom, MDAugust 17, 2014
My first 3 years was outstanding. I had a young and creative supervisor who developed a strong team of support workers. Under her guidance the group home was more like an extension of your own life as opposed to "just a job". The individuals we cared for excelled as well (all were on behavioral plans when sent to the group home). By the time she left, none were on behavior plans. A typical day involved medication administration, meal preparation and assistance with dressing. I worked the weekend shift and planned many of the social outings done with my individuals. We celebrated holidays, birthdays and sometimes 'just for fun'. We rarely had a full staff and usually worked a lot of overtime hours. There was very little support from management but we didn't care. For the most part we were self-sustaining and required little assistance. We loved working with our consumers and they showed significant improvement in social and other skills for mastery of independent living.
Pros
Lot of independence. Great relationships with consumers and co-workers.
Cons
Lack of recongnition and support from managment if you do not belong to "The Members Only" club
Loved this job
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, PANovember 4, 2013
A typical night at work, would consist of preparing the residents for bed, administering medications, and completing charts. In the morning, getting them ready for work or appointments, and prepare breakfast. I learned to communicate with the non verbal residents, to empathize. I worked alone so I did not interact as much with management. The hardest part of my job was working in homes where the residents were on hospice, that was really hard for me, as I got attached to my residents. The most enjoyable part of my job was providing them with the best care I could. Seeing them smile.
Pros
advancement
Cons
distance
Interesting workplace where no day is the same.
Certified Medical Technician certifications (Current Employee) –  Freeland, MDAugust 2, 2013
There are no typical days because we turn life to living. My job is to enhance our clients life each and every day. The most enjoyable facet of my job is that I get to take our clients wherever I choose or wherever they want to travel (as long as it's approved). Management is great because everything must be approved before actually done; thus, there is excellent communication between employees.