Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company

Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company United States Employee Reviews

Great Company
Investment Accountant (Current Employee), Horsham, PAOctober 4, 2014
Penn Mutual is a great company! The culture at Penn Mutual is outstanding. There are some issues, but I believe that this is something that they are working to improving.
workplace
Practice Management Analyst (Former Employee), Horsham, PASeptember 2, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
This was a work place that allowed me to go in everyday and get my job doone. No career growth and a glass roof.
My first paying job!
Policy Forms Typist (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 27, 2014
Pros: great benefits, opportunity for advancement.
Cons: pay was not that great.
I started at Penn Mutual, as a clerk-typist. It was a work-release program, that I participated in, in high school. Before the end of my senior year, I was working there, full-time.
Penn Mutual
Practice Management Analyst (Former Employee), Horsham, PAJuly 26, 2014
up beat enviorment
friendly co-works
value the employees and producers they employ
Great Meeting/Conference/Recognition team and people to work with
Meeting Planner, Meetings and Conferences (Former Employee), Horsham, PAOctober 11, 2013
Cons: health benefits
My team (Meeting and Conference planning team) was extremely positive, helpful and patient with all of my questions, being the newest member of the team in late 2012. They cared about me as a person and as a coworker and wanted to see me succeed. They helped develop my skills and taught me so many new things during my time there, which is very valuable as I move forward in the next stage of my career.
Great company to work for!
Policy Filing Specialist (Former Employee), Horsham, PAJuly 30, 2013
Pros: management that truly cares about their employees
Cons: very quiet
Penn Mutual cares about their employees. Many initiatives were taken to let the employees know that management appreciated all of their efforts. Even something as small as someone from the spirit committee walking around the building with a container full of candy for everyone to take a piece. Monthly organization wide meetings to announce employees who have been nominated by others (management and/or co-workers) for going above and beyond. Very quiet environment, but most everyone is extremely friendly and willing to help others when needed.
It's pretty good for becoming an Actuary; you get rotated around the company about 1 1/2 years.
Assistant Actuary (Former Employee), Horsham, PAJune 26, 2012
Pros: all of the people were great to be with. i really enjoyed my last few rotations.
Cons: i can't really think of any.
I first started crediting discount rates to two different annuity plans and projecting UL profits. My manager was a great one because he always took the time I needed to develop an understanding of where we were going, and how we were going to get there. My co-workers there were also great both indoors and after work. Any questions you had you could get an answer to by asking one person or the next. If no one knew the answer, the internet was a great tool. As I moved along in the company, I passed my exams successfully, and I was assigned the actuarial department. By that I mean I had to make sure that everyone in the program got fair raises, and they were assessed competently. I also had to say who got hired for a position with other peoples' input. My staff increased to four professionals who were truely a good team to work with. My favorite projects fall in the categories of Statutory, GAAP, and Tax reserves. I was assigned the GAAP factor system and to update the factors. However, I searched through the company and there was no document anywhere that mentioned the GAAP factors and how they were created. I called around and settled on PolySystems. PolySystems prepared a sample of what our inforce should look like along with a projection of the expected gross profits for UL. The Senier Executives and actuaries saw it and we were pleasantly surprised! That sold us on PolySystems GAAP for a year. The Following year, PolySystems came back in and showed what our Statutory and Tax reserves could be compared to using a net single premium each year. That sold us on PolySystems for another year.
Great place to work and definitely to learn new skills.
Image Associate (Former Employee), Welsh Rd. Horsham PAJanuary 31, 2012
Pros: compensation, healthcare, bonuses, perks (i.e. lunches, annual ceremony)
Cons: tension between employees, favoritism
It was a great experience for me to work for Penn Mutual. I was given the opportunity to learn new areas of work and was trusted to go hands on with that type of work. Aside from some favoritism that was ever present, the company itself has upstanding values and vast opportunity to learn and advance within the different fields in the company.