Penn Mutual Life Insurance Employee Reviews

Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 10, 2018
Great training. Great support. Great learning.
They train you about marketing, prospecting, foster a great environment.
The focus is on building your career and you whilst looking out for the best interest of the client.
Set Up For Failure
Investment Advisor Representative (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 31, 2017
The company told me to submit 6 applications in 60 days or $6,000 in commission and then I will start getting paid a salary. In the life insurance application it said I don't need to collect a check from anyone to submit an application.

Then once I start getting paychecks the quota is pretty high to maintain for over 2 years for most agents. Even the top producers with the best warm markets that I saw were starting to cool off before their first year was over, and even they probably have to get cut slack to stay on board because they have trouble hitting the quota.

The quota is high because the company wants to have just cause to fire anyone they want to.

Companies change people change, so if you're reading this maybe it's changed.
Good Company
New Business Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNOctober 29, 2017
Penn Mutual is a good company to work for. Paid days off are decent, salary is decent. Health insurance is a high deductible which is not decent and over priced.
Was once a great company
Case Administrator (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAOctober 12, 2017
This was an excellent company until they started promoting people with no experience or people skills to management positions. It destroyed the area I was working in and allowed management to hire 'similarly' aged employees. Expectations were unrealistic and not everyone is held to the same standards. Management allows good people to leave and or get fired and keeps people on staff that make them look good. Salary and job titles based on friendships, not education or knowledge base.
Cons
very much like high school, no management control
Good employer
Annuity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAOctober 4, 2017
I had no complaints working for this company. the culture there was excellent. They really supported their employees and had a great training program.
Great mid-size company
Manager, Sales Training (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PASeptember 18, 2017
Penn Mutual was a great place to start my civilian career. It was a great learning experience.
This mid-size company give opportunity for you to truly make a difference and have an impact on the strategic direction of the company.
I would recommend working at this company.
Pros
advancement opportunity
Cons
Good work environment. Options for beginners to recieve salary while training.
Financial Planner and Insurance Agent/Sales (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 12, 2017
Great place to work. Be prepared for high pressure management, though. They have great options such as paid fellowships to help college graduates and persons new to the field.
New Operation
Financial Adviser/CAS (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNSeptember 11, 2017
New Penn Mutual office open it was a new training program which overlapped sales times to have people actually make a living. In addition to obtaining a series 6 and 63, After studying and obtaining series licence program changed to Series 7. A bit of confusion on program requirements and not enough time to make actual sales.
Pros
great group of positive people
Cons
too many meetings and trainings
Great company to work for when I was there
State Filing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAAugust 30, 2017
I was laid off due to company re-structuring back in September 2013. That is the only reason why I left the company. While there I really enjoyed how upper management interacted with their employees and showed they cared. It was a great work environment that is hard to find anymore.
Fun Work Place
Manual Tester (Former Employee) –  Mutual, PAAugust 21, 2017
Company was good and team was extra ordinary and helpful in every step of the project. Had Fun environment and great team to work with. Management was great at all the times.
Great company to work for.
New Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAApril 30, 2017
Excellent company to work for. Many opportunities for advancement, along with training seminars. I learned a lot about being in a corporate environment. Work incentives and fun activities to join. Large mix of cultures. Most of the management was good to work with. Had a nice gym and personal trainer. Also had a life skills coach for your moral. Unfortunately some should not have been put into management positions.
Pros
Good salary, room for advancement, good moral
Cons
Some very poor management decisions
Great Culture
Internal Audit Specialist (Audit Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAApril 14, 2017
Great place to work. The firm does not want to be #1 in its industry, so the stress that competition brings is not present. Management is caring and understanding. Relaxed work environment, casual dressing. You will learn a lot about the insurance and broker-dealer industry.

Audit management dictates what risks to address/assess and how. Little flexibility on the planification of an Audit. Most testing is substantively based and not based on risk or control based.

A seasoned Auditor may find this is not a fit for them. Opinions that differ from Audit Management's perspective are not well received.
Pros
Great work-life balance; good people
Cons
You have to be a "yes man" in order to move up or stay on the job
Great place to work!
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 13, 2017
Penn Mutual is a great place to work. Staff was helpful in every way possible, as well as provided great training for everyone.
Solid office environment and compensation, zero job security
New Business Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 1, 2017
I was hired on towards the end of 2016 with the position initially being a permanent full time position. Once I was offered the job I was told it was now a temporary position and I would be hired on permanent at the beginning of 2017.

Once I got in the job I really liked it. Typical office setting and nice people overall. Compensation and other benefits including time off were generous.

Now on to why I say Job Security is a zero. Despite being told I would be hired on permanent full time at the beginning of 2017 I was told this would not happen and that I was being kept on temporary for an extended probationary period through January 2017. Again, this was not at all the discussion that took place in my initial new hire briefing. Fast forward to the end of the first week in January I was told that my temporary contract was terminated effective immediately and there would be no permanent full time job.

Dishonest hiring practices from a field office really offset everything else great about this company.
Pros
Compensation, office atmosphere, supportive staff throughout the training process
Cons
Job security
Unhappy
Case Administrator (Current Employee) –  Horsham PAJanuary 31, 2017
Been here since 2008. The pay hasn't increased with the multiple additional responsibilities i took on. They morph you into roles and provide zero benefit. Large discrepancy in payment between job levels. Benefits were bad and recently got worse now lacking hsa funding. Unsure how they even hold onto certain levels of employees here.
Pros
Cons
Salary, benefits, opportunity to grow within certain roles lacks.
Legal Intern, General Counsel (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAJanuary 4, 2017
Penn Mutual provides a great work-life balance and fosters a supportive work environment. I learned a lot and I really enjoyed my experience at Penn Mutual.
It was a great place to work
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJanuary 3, 2017
I got a good manager and a great place to work. People were friendly and helpful.

Managers were very trustful & friendly and always willing to help
Pros
Excellent Work environment
Very little to say...
Internal Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 30, 2016
Worked in a field office so I have very little knowledge on how the home office is managed. The field office I worked in was okay. Nothing special.
no advancement
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PANovember 1, 2016
no room to grow at all
management constantly changing
good culture but it is getting lost
change job roles whenever they seem fit
no raises
Not my best experience
WEALTH MANAGEMENT ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 28, 2016
Great turnover of directors.Communication between management and employees is not the best and there is not a lot of collaboration between employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn Mutual Life Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9