Penn National Gaming, Inc. Employee Reviews

A big waste of almost ten years of my life.
Senior Security Officer (Former Employee) –  750 Hollywood Drive, Charles Town, WV 25414July 16, 2017
Hourly employees are poorly treated and the management team focuses on destroying their employees self esteem. Favortism runs rampant at the property and business ethics do not exist.
Respect for all co-workers and customers is required.
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Grantville, PAJuly 7, 2017
Penn National Gaming seeks to address every aspect that an employer should. It's just that it is a difficult job, dealing with people who are losing money, but trying to have a fun time doing so. It's almost impossible unless the client is filthy rich.
Pros
cheap food, caring management
Cons
short breaks, annoyed customers
Good workplace with broad opportunities.
Server (Current Employee) –  Grantville, PAJune 21, 2017
I worked at HCPN since December 2012. I started as a server in Mountainview, and advanced to a food runner and finally to a server. It is a part-time, weekend job, so it fitted perfectly with my school schedule while college was in session.
During "no-school" seasons, I am able to pick up extra hours.

Restaurants and kitchens, table games, slot machines, horse racing, housekeeping, facilities, HR, accounting, finances, and management are the work places and types which I can name off top of my head available at Hollywood.

Penn National provides many benefits, including health insurance, 401K, and even gym membership compensation.
Pros
A lot going on, and many possibilities.
only cares about the bottom line
Senior Player Service Representative-Finance (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, WVJune 6, 2017
This specific location was terrible upper management wise. The immediate supervisors were the only ones that had real knowledge of the needs of the associates the upper mismanagement could have cared less
great place to work
Cook 3 (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INApril 26, 2017
It was a great place to work. The people you work with keeps things very loose and very enjoyable. The best part is getting to serve your loyal customers on a weekly basis.
A Fine Company, but Poor Branches
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Bay Saint Louis, MSApril 25, 2017
Penn National Gaming seems to be a prestigious company at the senior level. However, at smaller branches, for first-line workers, it is less than. The branch I work for, Hollywood Casino Gulf Coast has had issues with management for the better part of this current decade. The management here would rather see the company maintain their current evaporating clientele, than reach out to market to a wider customer-base. This has led to cutbacks for the employees and less than satisfied guests. The casino has an exciting past, but recent events have left it in shambles.
Pros
Free meals, free health clinic, free weight room
Cons
Forced breaks, poor property management, disappearing employee benefits
Worked as cage cashier....helping guest with their many needs.
Housekeeping/Laundry (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, WVApril 15, 2017
Nice place to work.......coworkers were great. I learned how to pay out jackpots to customers....how to relate to different people...management great.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Didnt take doctors note when off sick.
Worked here for a Internship
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INApril 8, 2017
This was by far my favorite job. The environment was good and the people were usually friendly. the job itself was quite easy it just took a watchful eye. Unless you were on the gaming floor your time consisted of standing in one spot and saying hello and goodbye to guests.
Cons
smoke filled atmosphere
nice place to work
AV Departmental Supervisor/Producer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 7, 2017
I am just writing in this space because I have to have 150 characters in this field. I hope I hit that number soon because I really don't have anything to say.
Customer Service is fun but turnover is ridiculous
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INMarch 20, 2017
Fun atmosphere, generally a caring family of employees. Hours are very long and often unappreciated. Senior management turns over every couple of years which makes it difficult to have a solid vision. Very little flexibility and gaming restrictions make it difficult to stay employed more than a couple of years. Typical casino hierarchy. You will learn a ton but you will give up your family and freedom to get that knowledge. Senior management are pack wolves--they protect and follow each other from one casino to another. Employees are the ones who suffer from this. If you are trying to learn, this would be a good option. If you are seasoned, skip and move to another opportunity. Corporate Penn doesn't have a clue what really goes on at this casino.
Pros
Customer interactions, atmosphere is fun and exciting.
Cons
Constant turnover, rules & regs are tough, no flexibility.
Fun place to work
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEMarch 14, 2017
Dealing in a casino is a great job. You get to play a game, make a good wage, and meet new people every single day. Hollywood Casino and Raceway belives in emplyee appreciation and being a good neighbor. I recommend working there.
Pros
Employee events
enjoyable and fun job
Table Games Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 20, 2017
Great experiences while working here. great employees to work with. great benefits and salary package. If your looking for a fun job this is it.
amazing place to work really enjoyed my time here
Player Services Cage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  grantsville,paJanuary 8, 2017
great enviroment, its the casino life so its 24/7 but a nice small casino that really get to know all its employees the only reason i left was i got custody of my son
Cons
for me it was the distance
Fun workplace.
Cocktail Waitress/Server (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INDecember 10, 2016
This is a good place to work. Everyone is more like a family then co workers. They treat everyone fairly across the board. Always a chance to change it up if you want.
Penn National Gaming
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MODecember 5, 2016
Depending on which property you are at the experience will be extremely different. There are a lot of politics involved if you want to move up the corporate ladder.
Needs more structure
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Kansas city kansasNovember 4, 2016
The company lacks structure there is really no oversite in how the company is run . Every property does what it wants and creates an inconsistent exoerience as you move through properties . Their main focus is profit only as there are no perks for the employees or managers . You get a lot of lip service from the executive committee but no action. To back it up .I found at this property the executive team all had different agendas and all back stabbed each other which flowed down to the team. They put no real effort In going above and beyond in recruiting and reflects on how short staffed the property is .not a good place to work or a good company culture .
Pros
They are profit driven so if you are bonus eligible you'll probably make it .
Cons
Short staffed always, very disorganized, horrible company culture nothing invested in the team . Horrible leadership team in place .
Great company to work for
Server, Server's Assistant (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 25, 2016
Providing gaming services to customers allowed for new challenges and an intriguing work environment. It was necessary to possess good manual dexterity when working at the tables, along with good multitasking and customer service skill
Good
Python Developer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 23, 2016
Work culture is good, Being a start up i learned other things than my role. Being aws developer my role was not limited to few tasks. It was good and hard to do the task.
Jamul Hollywood Casino
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Jamul, CAOctober 11, 2016
Penn is a bad company to work for. Working for their Jamul Casino was a nightmare! Upper management and management for the security department are lousy! No communication between management and officers. They do not back up their employees. They like to play god. Their attitude behind closed doors towards the tribal members was astounding! The suits wouldn't have those cushy jobs if not for the tribe.
They need to replace management. Offer more training to employees and listen to employee concerns. You will not enjoy working at this casino unless they make a serious change. I had one wonderful supervisor out of many but he happened to be the low man on the totem pole. He should have been Director of security. It's all a joke.
Pros
Good pay. That's all!
Cons
Many
Terrible place to work
Back of House Team Member (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OhioSeptember 26, 2016
They promised training for my job, I received none. Management are the only people that get to go to any sort of training and when they return they tell you nothing except stories about partying with other managers. Other departments get to work from home, but my department isn't one of them. Not enough work to do, the day is extremely boring. Management takes holidays off, but other employees are not allowed to. The only thing management is worried about is making sure they receive their next bonus. No chance for advancement here. I kick myself everyday for leaving a good job and coming to work with these liars. The Back Of House is disgusting and filthy. No way you want to eat here!
Pros
Cons
Everything about this place SUCKS!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn National Gaming, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9