Penn State Hershey Medical Center

Penn State Hershey Medical Center Employee Reviews

Poor management, do not take care of their employees
Medical Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 15, 2015
The benefits are the only pro to working here. The office staff does not get paid well, gets too much of a workload dumped on them, and is given no incentive to want to stay in that position. As a result, there is a high turnover rate. A great number of the clinics are understaffed, leading to every person trying to do the work of 2 or 3 people. Because of the high turnover, the understaffing is constant, so there is never any relief for the staff members to feel an even workload as a new one comes in and another one quits. Upper management claims to care, and even goes as far as coming to the clinics to get our feedback about the work environment. But then nothing is ever done, leaving us frustrated and wondering why they even bother. Poor management trickles down to everyone, and affects patient care as well.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Proud to be part of outstanding patient care
Inpatient Access Registration Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 13, 2015
I entered HMC through Environmental Health. Fun job, great people. I moved to OR Aid; loved the job.
I am proud to have been a part of the introduction of Electronic Health Records launched 2008 at HMC
I finally made it to Patient Access ED/elective registration. I've met so many great patients and coworkers. Hershey is a tourist attraction, so people from all walks of life and diversity is the best part of my employment with HMC.
Pros
Opportunity to cross train
Very fun productive workplace
Technical Lab Associate I (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 5, 2015
I enjoyed my years at this workplace and learned a lot needed to direct my career path. Every day was always a challenge well rewarded. The benefits and other incentives were just an added bonus. I was passionate about my work in the laboratory and looked forward to going into to work everyday. When you find a career you love and enjoy the work you do, that speaks volume. Thank you for the experience given to me.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Not a good place to work.
PCA Float (Former Employee) –  PSHMCNovember 30, 2015
I worked for PSHMC for 14 months. They are not a family friendly hospital. I traveled an hour to get to work and always felt unappreciated by staff and superiors. Huge communication breakdowns.It was almost like being back in kindergarten because people always like to "tell" on you for things. Management always coming down on someone for something. It was not a good work environment.
Pros
The patients where my pros. I loved taking care of them.
Cons
People tattling on each other as if your in kindergarten.
Excellent place to work.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 12, 2015
Interesting place to work. I enjoyed learning a lot about the medical profession from a layman's position. As with all large companies, there is the usual red tape and hoops to jump through for some of the processes there, but overall, everyone seems to pull together as a team. I wish I'd stayed with HMC rather than pursue a job closer to home.
Pros
Pleasant working conditions; great co-workers.
Cons
Some of the software is outdated, but supposed to be replaced soon.
Excellent hospital care and patient centered focused.
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 9, 2015
Social work is supported and team building environment encouraged and sought. Resources and ongoing education provided to ensure social work team is up to date on all necessary practices and knowledge to provide support and resources to our patients and families.
Poor departmental leadership and management lead to frequent turnover in staffing.
Residency Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 5, 2015
I worked at PSHMC for a significant number of years, there was growth and with growth comes changes. This was not a significant problem until the last 3 years, when the department I worked in once again was in a state of upheaval due to changes in the department chair and office staffing. To the best of my recollection the main office went through 8 - 10 support staff in that time frame. People left due to mistreatment and harassment in the office setting. It became an office of the "clique". I stated this in a corporate evaluation and was dismissed 2 weeks later.

During the time I was employed there I was aware of numerous occasions where a single employee, physician, nurse, administrative staff were cast to the side and then plagued by accusations in order for them to either quit or be "dismissed" without cause.
Pros
Benefits, including healthcare, vacation and retirement.
Cons
Disrespectful to employees, as "sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks".
Exellent Place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PASeptember 3, 2015
Great environment, great people and great pay. I been there for almost 3 year and I love working here.
My boss doesn't micromanage me which is really nice. I sometimes work with physicians but is mostly other coworkers and secretaries. Everybody is friendly and happy.
Wonderful benefits and job security
REFERRAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 13, 2015
If you enjoy working together as a team, building relationships with other professionals, and enjoying the job security of one of the most decorated and innovative teaching hospitals in the area, then you would love working for the Penn State Hershey Medical Center. I loved working in a team environment and having the quiet, peaceful work space I needed to get all my work done. I felt I had the best of both worlds as well as taking advantage of the stellar health benefits offered as well. If you are willing to work hard and be dependable, you can move very quickly to more challenging positions within the facility and benefit from tuition reimbursement, life insurance benefits, free classes within the facility and much more.
Pros
Consistent Work schedules, benefits, job security
Cons
short lunches
Fast pace environment
Registration Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey PAJune 27, 2015
The training is very extensive, after taking almost 4 to 6 weeks of training, they drop you with guided training. The management plays favorites with employees, but if you are not a favorite they change your schedule, they ignore request, and they do not care about employee wellbeing.
Pros
Great cafeteria
Cons
Management leaves a lot to be desired.
Wonderful Work Place
Health Information Associate II/ROI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 14, 2015
This Employer helps you to exceed Professionalism and perform Exceptional Customer Service Skills. I give it an excellent place to work.
Hershey Medical Center
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Life Lion EMSMay 27, 2015
They have the worst schedules I have ever seen. The only good thing about Hershey Medical Center is that pay and benefits.
good place to work.
Float Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Hershey PAMay 21, 2015
Co workers excellent always helpful, A typical day is answer phones for multiple office sending message to doctors. Setting up meetings for doctors. I have learned many things, one of them is how to do reimbursements for doctors. The hardest part of my job is some of the calls you receive from parents of sick children. The most enjoyable part is being able to help the parents of our patients.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
the long drive
Intern
internship (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 11, 2015
I had the pleasure of meeting and working with some of the best people in the field of science today. I acquired majority many of my lab techniques form Penn State and i could not be more grateful. The people in the basic science department was wonderful and brilliant.
Great Work Environment
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAApril 19, 2015
Great place to work, never a dull moment. Good benefits and decent pay. Hardest part was scheduling and getting time off.
Great co-workers, wonderful benefits
Food Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 19, 2015
Food Service Worker- My title is Cites Worker. I am cross-trained in 5 different cafeterias. It's very difficult as most of the schedule is different each day. Depending on availability. It's a very good environment when you get along with your co-workers. The medical benefits are very good.
Great Exp
RN Critical Care (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 10, 2015
Great Exp
Work with many different cultures
Great learning environment
12 hour shifts
Many Clinical Heads
Penn State U. discount
Initiation into the role of a staff nurse
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 2, 2015
Following completion of a Nurse Extern position and upon graduation from nursing school I was hired by Penn State Hershey Medical Center to work on an Adult Acute Care unit. This busy, challenging environment provided me opportunities to learn and develop foundational nursing skills.
great company to work for, management is awesome, food is excellent, very clean
Food Service Employee (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJanuary 3, 2015
I was honestly trained on about 8 different stations

dining room attendant-cleaned dining room /cashier

cashier- totaled out peoples orders, counted your drawer at the end of the night, also stocked chips, candy, and nutri-bars.

the hearth- pizza station, learned how to make and cook pizzas, along with gluten free items, along with strombolis and deep dish pizzas, and garlic knots in a turbo oven, cleaned oven everynight, along with turbo oven and prepped about 25-40 pizzas a day.

exhibition station- served cultural foods with a Chef and helped him cook live

Grill line- made burger, cheeseburgers, chicken, black bean burgers, also breakfast foods. working a turbo oven with fries and chicken tenders

assembly line- have a bunch of different dishes of food, along with a entrée serving it to customers, and helping those aside of you and replacing your dishes when empty

self serve bar- each day was different for the menu, set up the food accordingly and make sure you come back to check on it n clean up what people made messy. when you weren't doing that you were stocking cooler items while the stocker was being the runner for everyone else's food downstairs, also had to replace soups

wild green salad staion- always had two featured salads on the menu and you would make them or customers also had the option of getting a salad by weight,

sandwhich station - in the morning you would make between 25-50 sandwiches of about 3-4 different sandwiches. customers would order a sandwich and get it customized the way they want it, along with different sides dishes

stocker/runner- stock/rotate
  more... everything in the coolers by date, over lunch you run for people, whatever they need downstairs you get for them because you cant leave your station over lunch  less
Pros
pay, healthcare, vacation time, hours, management, coworkers, learning.
Cons
availabilty, point system, commute, parking
Hershey Medical Center is a great place for good benefits .
Patient Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 4, 2014
Hershey Medical Center is a great place to work for good benefits.