Penn State Hershey Medical Center

Penn State Hershey Medical Center Employee Reviews

overall I give hershey a 4
Registered Nurse on Acute Medical Unit (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 18, 2017
Great place to work and to learn, I learned so much working side by side with physicians. Good Culture diversity, management Okay. the Management in 6 acute care are not very good.
Excellent place to work and learn and advacne
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 16, 2017
wonderful hospital with many areas to grow and educate and advance yourself throughout your career.. Physicians were more then willing to teach and help you learn.
Pros
Fantastic hospital
Not Worth it.
Environmental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 18, 2017
Management sucks... Staff is rude.... Not appreciated enough... Pay is low... I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy. Waste of time and energy. and the union is a joke and waste of money.
All in all, an excellent place to work
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 13, 2017
My days in the the Stem Cell Transplant Lab. were never typical. Each day could be very different from the next. Our schedule was based on the needs of the Hematology/Oncology patients and physicians. I had never worked in this type of laboratory before. So, my first year or two entailed learning about all the different blood related cancers that cause the different lymphomas and leukemias for both adult and pediatric patients. My interaction with the patients was my favorite part of this position. I also enjoyed the interactions with the Blood Bank, HLA and Apheresis staffs. The most difficult parts of this position were that many of these patients died. Also it was difficult to work with very young children who didn't have the capacity to understand why they were in this situation to begin with. There was a necessary understanding and balance between the joys and disappointments that all these patients were facing in their everyday lives. All in all, I enjoyed the experience immensely. It taught me many aspects of the hope and courage of patients facing cancer daily.
Pros
Interactions with the patients and their families
Cons
This was not a 9AM to 5PM position. I performed a lot of overtime.
Excellent care for the patients and the employees!!
Medical Office Associate & Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 15, 2016
I absolutely loved working for the Hershey Medical Center. It offered me the opportunity to be well trained and move throughout the company. Also wonderful work/life balance. I worked for the float pool and I was very excited about it! I got to visit many different specialty clinics to see how they work. I was always learning something. I was never bored with anything, which is a very awesome. The employees are all happy to come to work and really all love what they do. If I had not relocated out of state, I would have never left the Hershey Medical Center!
Pros
work/life balance, wages, insurance, retirement plan, many opportunities for advancement and growth, family work environment
Cons
No complaints
Great benefits
Patient Finance Auditor (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 2, 2016
A great place to work at with great benefits. Management could be improved upon in PFS. I did a lot of billing audits before and after a claim is sent.
Pharmacy tech
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 29, 2016
Typing and filling scripts, making compounds, customer service, troubleshooting problems, cash register and many other things
Pros
Great Place to work
Cons
limited overtime
Geat Management on the evening shift
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 16, 2016
This is a good place too work .. but the only thing is that they expect you to do extremly good on the cleaning but want you to do other work on top of that ....you do not want to go in there as a temp.. they will use you like a lab rat then lie to your face about why they didnt hire you , your better off going to the evening shift .. that manager actually cares about his workers...
Pros
Great co wokers
Cons
Horrible management
Great Place to work
Technical Analyst Sr (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAAugust 4, 2016
Incredible hospital with a friendly patient care driven staff. State of the art equipment that helps you to continue to learn new things and advance your career.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
basement office
short lived Manager in Women's area
Nurse Manager, Women's Services (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 17, 2016
Brought in to remove staff, re-train and programs to be developed. My excellent skills were known and was hired to accomphlish the best end results in this Facility.
Pros
accomphlished quick results
Cons
letting go staff who could find better areas to work.
The benefits are good.
Patient Transport (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 11, 2016
They will fire you in a heart beat.I worked there for 14 years and never had a bad report until 1 patient father didn't like me so I was fired. There are a lot of adults that work there but you will think you are in grade school.
Benefits
Cons
It is just a bad place to work.
Never again!
PRN Radiation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 6, 2016
I worked in Radiation Oncology for 13 months. By far, the worst job I've ever had. In that time, my chief therapist was demoted to a staff therapist, I was lied to about going full time, and eventually my boss was the Chief Physicist.
Hello! Problem!
Definitely the most disfunctional department I've ever worked for. Things are carried out in the most backward way and if you question anything, you are as good as dead. They have alot to learn when compared to a health system in a major metropolitan area.
Very catty employees across the board in ALL areas.
Don't work in Radiation Oncology! You're going to regret it.
Pros
I honestly can't think of any.
Cons
More than I can list.
Poor management, do not take care of their employees
Medical Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 15, 2015
The benefits are the only pro to working here. The office staff does not get paid well, gets too much of a workload dumped on them, and is given no incentive to want to stay in that position. As a result, there is a high turnover rate. A great number of the clinics are understaffed, leading to every person trying to do the work of 2 or 3 people. Because of the high turnover, the understaffing is constant, so there is never any relief for the staff members to feel an even workload as a new one comes in and another one quits. Upper management claims to care, and even goes as far as coming to the clinics to get our feedback about the work environment. But then nothing is ever done, leaving us frustrated and wondering why they even bother. Poor management trickles down to everyone, and affects patient care as well.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Proud to be part of outstanding patient care
Inpatient Access Registration Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 13, 2015
I entered HMC through Environmental Health. Fun job, great people. I moved to OR Aid; loved the job.
I am proud to have been a part of the introduction of Electronic Health Records launched 2008 at HMC
I finally made it to Patient Access ED/elective registration. I've met so many great patients and coworkers. Hershey is a tourist attraction, so people from all walks of life and diversity is the best part of my employment with HMC.
Pros
Opportunity to cross train
Very fun productive workplace
Technical Lab Associate I (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 5, 2015
I enjoyed my years at this workplace and learned a lot needed to direct my career path. Every day was always a challenge well rewarded. The benefits and other incentives were just an added bonus. I was passionate about my work in the laboratory and looked forward to going into to work everyday. When you find a career you love and enjoy the work you do, that speaks volume. Thank you for the experience given to me.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Not a good place to work.
PCA Float (Former Employee) –  PSHMCNovember 30, 2015
I worked for PSHMC for 14 months. They are not a family friendly hospital. I traveled an hour to get to work and always felt unappreciated by staff and superiors. Huge communication breakdowns.It was almost like being back in kindergarten because people always like to "tell" on you for things. Management always coming down on someone for something. It was not a good work environment.
Pros
The patients where my pros. I loved taking care of them.
Cons
People tattling on each other as if your in kindergarten.
Excellent place to work.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 12, 2015
Interesting place to work. I enjoyed learning a lot about the medical profession from a layman's position. As with all large companies, there is the usual red tape and hoops to jump through for some of the processes there, but overall, everyone seems to pull together as a team. I wish I'd stayed with HMC rather than pursue a job closer to home.
Pros
Pleasant working conditions; great co-workers.
Cons
Some of the software is outdated, but supposed to be replaced soon.
Excellent hospital care and patient centered focused.
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 9, 2015
Social work is supported and team building environment encouraged and sought. Resources and ongoing education provided to ensure social work team is up to date on all necessary practices and knowledge to provide support and resources to our patients and families.
Poor departmental leadership and management lead to frequent turnover in staffing.
Residency Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 5, 2015
I worked at PSHMC for a significant number of years, there was growth and with growth comes changes. This was not a significant problem until the last 3 years, when the department I worked in once again was in a state of upheaval due to changes in the department chair and office staffing. To the best of my recollection the main office went through 8 - 10 support staff in that time frame. People left due to mistreatment and harassment in the office setting. It became an office of the "clique". I stated this in a corporate evaluation and was dismissed 2 weeks later.

During the time I was employed there I was aware of numerous occasions where a single employee, physician, nurse, administrative staff were cast to the side and then plagued by accusations in order for them to either quit or be "dismissed" without cause.
Pros
Benefits, including healthcare, vacation and retirement.
Cons
Disrespectful to employees, as "sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks".
Exellent Place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PASeptember 3, 2015
Great environment, great people and great pay. I been there for almost 3 year and I love working here.
My boss doesn't micromanage me which is really nice. I sometimes work with physicians but is mostly other coworkers and secretaries. Everybody is friendly and happy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2