Penn State Hershey Medical Center

Penn State Hershey Medical Center Employer Reviews

Great Exp
RN Critical Care (Current Employee), Hershey, PAFebruary 10, 2015
Great Exp
Work with many different cultures
Great learning environment
12 hour shifts
Many Clinical Heads
Penn State U. discount
Initiation into the role of a staff nurse
Nurse (Former Employee), Hershey, PAFebruary 2, 2015
Following completion of a Nurse Extern position and upon graduation from nursing school I was hired by Penn State Hershey Medical Center to work on an Adult Acute Care unit. This busy, challenging environment provided me opportunities to learn and develop foundational nursing skills.
great company to work for, management is awesome, food is excellent, very clean
Food Service Employee (Former Employee), Hershey, PAJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: pay, healthcare, vacation time, hours, management, coworkers, learning.
Cons: availabilty, point system, commute, parking
I was honestly trained on about 8 different stations

dining room attendant-cleaned dining room /cashier

cashier- totaled out peoples orders, counted your drawer at the end of the night, also stocked chips, candy, and nutri-bars.

the hearth- pizza station, learned how to make and cook pizzas, along with gluten free items, along with strombolis and deep dish pizzas, and garlic knots in a turbo oven, cleaned oven everynight, along with turbo oven and prepped about 25-40 pizzas a day.

exhibition station- served cultural foods with a Chef and helped him cook live

Grill line- made burger, cheeseburgers, chicken, black bean burgers, also breakfast foods. working a turbo oven with fries and chicken tenders

assembly line- have a bunch of different dishes of food, along with a entrée serving it to customers, and helping those aside of you and replacing your dishes when empty

self serve bar- each day was different for the menu, set up the food accordingly and make sure you come back to check on it n clean up what people made messy. when you weren't doing that you were stocking cooler items while the stocker was being the runner for everyone else's food downstairs, also had to replace soups

wild green salad staion- always had two featured salads on the menu and you would make them or customers also had the option of getting a salad by weight,

sandwhich station - in the morning you would make between 25-50 sandwiches of about 3-4 different sandwiches. customers would order a sandwich and get it customized the way they want it, along with different sides dishes

stocker/runner- stock/rotate everything in the coolers by date, over lunch you run for people, whatever they need downstairs you get for them because you cant leave your station over lunch
Hershey Medical Center is a great place for good benefits .
Patient Registration Representative (Current Employee), Hershey, PANovember 4, 2014
Hershey Medical Center is a great place to work for good benefits.
Great patients and not so great coworkers
Patient Care (Former Employee), Penn State Hershey Medical CenterJuly 31, 2014
Pros: working with patients is rewarding and a great learning experience.
Cons: coworker/management dysfunction makes the job less appealing.
The hospital environment looks very nice until you work there. Working with the patients is very rewarding but management and coworkers is a negative experience. Many coworkers are emotionally draining and very dramatic taking away from patient care and focus. The gossip and trash talking is taken seriously by management which creates dysfunction within different departments. These issues should be squashed by management instead of promoted. Job performance is based on hear say instead of results which promotes poor morale. The job without the unnessary dramatics is great but unfortunately the pettiness burns many out in the end.........
Food Service
Catering to You Associate (Current Employee), Hershey, PAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: nice place
If you are looking for a job that is fast pace, good benefits, and want to work just for benefits than this is the place for you, the hours are long, but the schedule is great! Place to get the foot in the door and work to advancement, great opportunity... Most management is great, like any place you always have that one or two...
Excellent place for any internship, residency, or permanent employment
Chaplain Resident (Current Employee), Hershey, PAJune 20, 2014
I very much appreciate all the experience I received while working at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center. All the employees seem to be very competent. It is both an ideal place to learn and work. In addition to knowing what they are doing, the people at this institution are very sincere, friendly, and fun to work with, which only enhances their high quality of healthcare provided.
NCCU
Neuroscience Critical Care Unit & ED Social Worker (Current Employee), Hershey, PAMay 19, 2014
My day starts with rounds with the Neurosurgery and Neurology Services to discuss each patient in the 31 bed ICU. I then plan and arranged appropriate discharges, meet with new admits, and put out fires from case to case.
It's a job
Radiology File Room Clerk (Former Employee), Hershey, PAApril 2, 2014
This was not my favorite place to work. I would only recommend if you really need a job. Benefits are decent.
I love going to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Hershey Medicial CenterApril 2, 2014
Pros: great working environment, many opportunities for learning
Cons: sometimes difficult to get any kind of break in a 12 hour shift
A typical day at work is very fast paced and hectic. Everyday is different. I don't ever end a shift without learning something. I take care of a unique blend of pediatric intensive care unit patients as well as pediatric open heart intensive care unit patients. The hospital is new and people are still getting used to their surroundings, so teamwork is a must to get by with your day. As many people as there are during day shift, we function as a cohesive group that maintains great professional relationships. My manager is outstanding, and I mean that. She has created a great balance of coworker and manager. She does not hesitate to throw on her pair of scrubs, that she keeps in her office, and come out to the unit to help. My co-workers are an amazing group of people that take great pride in caring for our patient population. The hardest and most enjoyable part of my job is the same thing: taking care of sick children. Although it is hard, I love that I have had the opportunity to make a difference in such a fragile population throughout the years!
This was a GREAT PLACE TO WORK, WONDERFUL PEOPLE AND INCREDIBLE DOCTORS!
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), Harrisburg, PAMarch 14, 2014
Pros: great place to work, took great pride in saying i was employed there.
Cons: my family was in michigan, nothing bad about working in pa
I learned a great deal in just a short time. I did credentialing for 14 doctors, who traveled to many outreach clinics and hospitals. It was a lot of paperwork and faxing and copying to files on the computer system. Hardest part of the job, just learning what was expected of me and what I was to do, so I could just take care of things. I like to know what I am doing .... so I am a note taker. Co-workers were great, learned a lot from them as well. I worked for the Children's Heart Group, so there were many nurses and people around there all the time doing ekg's and echocardiograms, as well as office visits.
An Excellent learing environment in the NICU setting
Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse (Current Employee), Hershey, PAFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: excellent learning environment
Cons: workload very heavy- high acuity
This is a Level 4 NICU Teaching hospital - part of Penn State University.
It has a 44 bed capacity to care for premature infants, Infants requiring Heart, Head, Intestinal & orthopedic surgery, infants with congenital anomalies, Infants with Neonatal withdrawal syndrome and Infants of Diabetic mothers and other high risk perinatal issues.
Environment is very nice
Accounts Payable Assistant (Current Employee), Hershey, PAFebruary 18, 2014
I am a temp with the company and so far I am very happy with the company.
An excellent place to work if you want to feel like family
OR Aide (Current Employee), Hershey, PAJanuary 27, 2014
Working at the Medical Center, I felt like I was apart of a team that always wanted to be better and do better for our patients. We all worked off of each others strengths and weaknesses. I would not be leaving this employer if my family and I weren't relocating.
challenging and rewarding professional environment
Clinical Pastoral Education, Chaplain Residency (Current Employee), Hershey, PAJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: supportive coworkers; excellent medical benefits
Cons: often dealing with hightly stressful situations
in my work as a chaplain resident I encounter challenging and rewarding situations that require me to draw on life experience and spiritual resources to assist others who are grieving and who are confronted with the changes often brought on by intensive medical care
difficult place to work/ RNs under-rated
Interventional procedure nurse (Former Employee), Hershey, PADecember 8, 2013
Pros: very good pay and benefits
Cons: somedays, no lunch or lunch alone do to short staffing
Very difficult leader, Nurses very under-rated. My co-workers for the most part were very good.
Fast paced work environment with emphasis on patient satisfaction
Medical Office Associate (Former Employee), University Park, PAOctober 20, 2013
Pros: tuition assistance for my daughter
Cons: keeping current with changes in office procedure
A typical work day would began with greeting patients, and making sure that all information was correct for payment and insurance. I answered phones, scheduled and confirmed appointments in a timely manner. Part of my job was to retrieve, file, and update files within the facility for the clinic day.
Emphasis was on quality of service and patient satisfaction as well as professionalism. Co-workers were pleasant and helpful to work with and always willing to help if needed. Hardest part of the job was the challenges that can be encountered when working in a fast paced environment. The most enjoyable part was helping people and seeing the progress that was made through physical therapy and services offered by the physicians.
People very friendly
Volunteer (Current Employee), Hershey, PAMarch 23, 2013
I did not get the chance to know what it's like to work there as a full-time employee as I was a volunteer.
Best Hospital Ive Ever Encountered
Registered Nurse- ICU (Former Employee), Hershey, PAJanuary 9, 2013
I love this hospital and would send any members of my family there. It is highly specialized and the nurses work under a union which helps to keep nurses satisfied.

March 12, 2013

Hershey Medical Center has been so far the best hospital I worked for. I have been a nurse for 7 years and the education and camaraderie from fellow nurses was beyond average. I miss working there and would in a heartbeat go back if I could. The pay was also competitive.

Enjoyed working with a variety of people and the community.
Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee), Hershey, PAJanuary 7, 2013
The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with co-workers and the community.

About Penn State Hershey Medical Center

The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center is Central Pennsylvania's only academic medical center and home to Penn State Children's – Read more