Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center

Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center Employee Reviews

good place, too many politics
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 22, 2017
Good place to work, too many office politics and drama for my liking. I learned more about how to be an effective team leader
Pros
learning everyday
benefits
Professional Workplace
Administrative Fellowship (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 18, 2017
learned many different aspects of healthcare administration.
the company could have done a better job in creating long term opportunities for Healthcare administration students. good place to learn and practice.
Great coworkers, poor management team
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PAFebruary 9, 2017
Management is incompetent. Makes decisions best on favoritism. When discussing concerns management will become defensive. Important infuriation is spread by word of mouth as management lacks common sense to send out memos unless they are pertaining to irrelevant information forwarded from higher ups.
Agressive, clicky work enviroment
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJanuary 14, 2017
Overall, the hospital and benefits are awesome. There are lots of opportunity for education and advancement. However I found the work environment unfriendly, management uncaring and uninvested in new staff. The unit I was working on was chaotic, disorganized, and had no true leadership. If there was an emergency situation, all staff would rush to help but, many different people were doing the same simple task, no one clear leader was established, taking twice as long to get things accomplished. This was not a professional environment I wanted to be apart of.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Chaotic
All about the $$$
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Medical groupSeptember 7, 2016
Difficult to get time approved to go to the dentist, and you need to say where you are going why and how long you will be gone. Not sure why they give you so much time off but make it nearly impossible to take it. Very fast paced and never had enough staff. Management seemed to have different sets of rules for certain people.
Pros
Tons of time off IF YOU ARE ALLOWED TO TAKE IT
Cons
no breaks, rare to get lunch, micromanagement
run run run
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  sterile processingJuly 14, 2016
Run if you are planning on working there' fast paced and the bottom line is it's all about the dollar. Work you to the bone and treated bad unless you are nursing or a doctor, tech service is horrible and some departments mandate everyday. Most departments understaffed unless you are looking to be in management. Then you will be tripping over each other.Pay is okay ,but each year the increase in health benefits goes up and your small pay increase is not enough to even cover that.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
worked until your ready to fall over.mandated, expenivse health insurance
Great hospital to work for
Diagnostic radiologic technologist (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 18, 2015
Busy trauma hospital.Challenged x-ray skills every day.Good management.Great co-workers.Great opportunity for advancement.I loved working there but had to leave for better pay.
Pros
Great place to advance radiology skills.
Cons
Stressful management is unrealistic with work load distribution
RN Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hershey Pa 17033June 9, 2015
I start work most days at 7 a.m. retrieving phone messages, e-messages, prepare for clinic for the day or the next day. Answering phone calls throughout the day, answering pages, triaging patients, e-prescribing/proposing medications to the MD for signature to send to the pharmacy or for patient pick-up.
Checking patient's lab results scheduling for blood and or platelet transfusions. I work for 3 doctors 2 hematology and one medical oncology. Most coordinators work for one or two doctors my workload is much more stressful due to the workload.
Most days I take lunch at my desk or in clinic while working.
I leave work anywhere from 5 to 7 pm at night.
Perfusionist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 7, 2015
I have loved working here. I am thinking of relocating. I have learned a lot over the 32 years here. The mission trips to south America have been a great part of my time here.
great place to work for
Medical Office Associate, Full-time (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 24, 2015
Great place to work, this is a company has unlimited opportunity for growth! Great benefits come with the job as well that no one can compare too! Very polite and kind co-workers. Glad to make a difference!
I love my internship experience during last summer
Intern of Training and Organizational Change (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJanuary 15, 2015
This is a great company. I interned with Hershey Medical Center, where I participated in the whole process of organizational culture change through scenario-based training sessions. I accomplished my project by developing six case scenarios as well as two evaluation questionnaires that were used in two facilitated small group training sessions, with the aim of creating a better learning environment in the hospital. The team gave me tremendous support during the internship. This invaluable experience enables me to gain a comprehensive understanding of organizational culture change, which is one of the most difficult leadership challenges.It also helped me to realize my passion on Training and Development.
Pros
autonomy, learning experience, leadership
Cons
location
Excellent Pay and Benefits, Friendly
Patient Care Technician - Trauma (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 27, 2014
12 Hour Shifts
Management is always willing to work with your schedule
Friendly co-workers that are just as close as family
HIGH Patient Population - VERY BUSY
Employment
Patient Account Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 16, 2014
Working for MS Hershey Medical Center was educational and an experience. Continuous work with finances, attorney correspondents, workers compensation insurance carriers, various state workers compensation laws, as well as attorneys throughout the country.
Pros
flexible schedule and continuous education
Wonderful place to work.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PASeptember 24, 2013
Wonderful place to work! Everyone works as a team to provide the best care for patients.
They treat their employees like pawns not people
Catering attendant (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 19, 2013
It was not what I was looking for. The department I was in was very disorganized.
Pros
$15 food allowance
Cons
disorganization in particular department
Great benifits, and great pay compensation.
Central Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Pennsylvania, ENGJune 4, 2013
A typical day is long and hard work. I learned that you must keep to yourself or you will lose your job. Management is very friendly, but does not have a handle on it's employees. Co-workers have a nice demeanor, but will stab you in the back at first chance. The hardest part of the job is keeping to yourself, and a lot of walking. I was not able to find out the most enjoyable part of the job, because I did not get a chance to work there for very long.
Pros
Benifits, and pay.
Cons
Co-workers.
Great Place to work
Registered Nurse-Medical Intermediate Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAApril 8, 2013
Hershey Medical Center is a great place to work. The organizational values are excellent. It is great to work for this magnet organization.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
Great organization!
Coordinator, Retirement Plan Administration (Current Employee) –  Hershey PAMarch 1, 2013
Outstanding organization to be a part of! Superb benefits and great leadership team.
A good way to experience a job option.
Exercise Physiologist (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 19, 2012
When I returned from living in Ireland last summer, I was contacted by my local gym where I had taught aerobic classes. They were looking for someone to fill in as an Exercise Physiologist while one of their employees had surgery. Since my minor in exercise science sufficed for the position, I gladly accepted.

A typical day at work consisted of opening duties of the gym, meeting with clients to administer fitness testing, orientations, and personal training programs.

During my eight-hour shift, I worked alone so I had little interaction with co-workers. I found this isolating, and trying to deal with work related issues via email proved difficult.

The hardest part of the job was actually finding work to do. I was not properly oriented into the position, and was not given work to do when I was not with clients. After continuously asking for things to do and receiving nothing, I became frustrated.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with re-hab patients. I could design their programs and work one on one with them in the gym. I got to practice my skills while using my communication skills with varying populations.
Pros
pay, educational experience
Cons
work-load, working alone, hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2