Penn State University Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work with energetic and fun coworkers and managers
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 4, 2016
I managed the customer service desk answering phones, taking messages, and general office assistance. I also conducted cash and point-of-sale transactions, checked customer identifications, and issued equipment. Ensured customers had a pleasant experience while attending the building and using its facilities. The best part of the job was the flexibility of the schedule and also the staff. Everyone was energetic and bright making it a great place to work.
Pros
Flexibility, staff
Cons
Early mornings
Fast paced, exciting, wonderful place to work.
Women's Assistant Golf Coach (Current Employee) –  State College, PAJune 14, 2016
Penn State University is a wonderful place to be employed. The fast pace of intercollegiate athletics keeps everyone busy year round to obtain many major goals within the department.
Pros
Get to travel to new and exciting destinations, get to coach outstanding young athletes, being a tournament director
Cons
Long periods of time traveling away from home 6 months out of the year.
Great opportunities for motivated students
Spring Run Riparian Buffer Project (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAApril 7, 2016
My employment positions with Penn State have been temporary and only made available to me because I am a student who inquired about them. For example, I noticed that Penn State Altoona's trail in Seminar Forest was very poorly maintained so I took the initiative of asking permission to maintain it myself. Compensation was just an added bonus!
Enjoyed my college experience
America Reads and Math Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Flinton, PAApril 3, 2016
I tutored children in math and reading was very rewarding to see a child learn
How to help children advance in there way of learning not the schools guidelines
Positive interaction
Positive
Child not believing in them self
When the child starting to make progress in their learning and how excited they were
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
NA
good place good people good location good support
Oracle Data Base administer (Current Employee) –  State College, PAFebruary 24, 2016
the culture is a mix of reducing non critical stress and available support for the technical advances that are the nature of the IT field.
A typical day starts a little after 6 am wraps up 3 or 4 .
performance tuning, validating backups, specking out what a new system or an upgrade will need, reviewing manuals to see how to turn on the next new features. reviewing co-workers projects/progress make suggestions - learn a few tips.
figure out of old systems can be retired. hardest part of the job is Making sure users are happy.
Pros
We have holiday get togethers, learning is supported, positive pro people policies
Can be a good place to work
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 11, 2016
I've worked in a few different departments at Penn State. While I love the department I am in now, the other departments that I have worked in were not as great (e.g., unhappy coworkers, lack of respect from more senior employees). The quality of your experience can vary greatly depending on where you are.
Pros
Decent benefits, great reputation
Cons
Inconsistent across departments
Good
Sr.Salesforce Developer (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 19, 2016
• Great initiatives and fresh ideas.
• Have you shaken old methods?
• Developed a new program.
• Target sales, new sales.
• Reached new clients?
• Developed a new customer satisfaction procedure?
• Improved the accuracy of budget forecasts?
• New design on time-schedule.
• Achieved project goals.
• Established good working relationships with customers.
• Great team work.
• Established new quality standards.
Pros
free
Cons
health care
Awful curriculum and staff
Executive Assistant for Athletic Department (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAJune 7, 2016
The school is not a good place for someone who is looking to grow as a individual. The Police Department look for students that they can arrest to meet their quota. The employees their have their own interest at heart, to be frank everyone their seems to be hedonistic.
Locksmith (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 16, 2016
Pennsylvania State University is a good place to work. But like most places this size it can be overwhelming at times. In general it is a great place to work as long as you keep an open mind and realize the people in charge of your department are just repeating things they are required to by upper management.
Small college town, great research and learning environment
Applications programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work starts early for me around 8 am and on most days it goes on till about 8 pm. Typically, trying to solve research problems in science and engineering that require a long time to simulate on the a linux cluster and/or require a large memory to solve. A typical case runs in batch on 64 or 128 cores for 96 hours or beyond. Other sets of problems that require a large amount of Random Access Memory (RAM) of the order of one or more terabyte. The main objective is to get reasonable results fast using all available computational power available.
Pros
great co-workers, good managers, available hardware and software
Cons
stressful work indeed.
very educational environment
Student (Current Employee) –  DuBois, PAApril 6, 2016
I actually interned here for my bachelor degree but I enjoyed every moment of it! I learned so much about the process of client intake interviews and the programs for counseling sexually violent predators. I was asked to revise the phase work for the clients, which is being used today.
Nice place to live and study
Lab Researcher Associate (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJanuary 22, 2016
I was working at agricultural department, the faculties and students were nice, hard working and productive. We have many exhibition glass boxes with various types of bugs in the hallway. We also have a nice kitchen, sometimes people shared desserts and vegetables which you could pick some for free. The staffs are really kind and helpful in our department.
Long days
Deputy Security Officer (Former Employee) –  State College, PAMay 14, 2016
10-12hrs days
I learned how to take short cuts
Management not concerned with the real problems
Co-workers were the best part of the job
Supervisor micromanages/diminish self-esteem.
Pros
Discount on College Tutition
Cons
On call, long hours, no break or lunch room10
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 3, 2016
They provide a variety of different geoscience subjects and are willing to work with you on what interests you. Outside of the workplace, there are always things to do outside of the university which was surprising since the town itself is not very large.
It depends on the adviser you will find there
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  State College, PAFebruary 10, 2016
Some advisers are very nice, helpful and supportive; others are slave drivers. So, Penn State is like other schools in the United State. However, I am really happy about its facilities and insurance coverage. Its city is very nice, safe and calm, but very very cold in winters.
Diverse Environment
Circulation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAApril 3, 2016
My current job involves a lot of multitasking. It requires patience since it is such a diverse environment
Besides basic "clerk" responsibilities, I tend to help to students with their questions about reference books, technical issues etc.
productive and flexible workplace
Idealist (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJanuary 6, 2016
Librarian employees are required to participate in daily cleaning tasks. These cleaning tasks include dusting books, assisting patrons, and re-shelving books. The night shift is more preferable because fewer patrons need assistance allowing the employees time to relax.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
find replacements for shifts
Financial Assistant/Budget Manager (Current Employee) –  State College, PAMay 26, 2016
I love Penn State and love my job.

I manage a $4 million budget and plan a new one each year.

I work for a great supervisor and director who challenge me and provide me with great flexibility in my job.
lounge that provides sofa, games and convenience store
clerk (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJanuary 21, 2016
the years at pennstate are the best. it gives the employees the hospitality and very kind when it comes to schedule. the managers are friendly so the co workers. the best part is we can see the work schedule online and we can trade the shift freely if we are not able to work that day.
Good for tenure track, not so much for adjunct
Instructor, Intro to Drawing Art 020 (Former Employee) –  School of Visual ArtsMay 12, 2016
Decent place to work in central PA. School ranked 42 in the country. Teaching non majors can be difficult because some students are not enthusiastic about the course.

4.4