Penn State University

Penn State University Employee Reviews

Great experience working with Nursing department
o Adjunct clinical instructor, OB/Medical-Surgical (Current Employee), Erie, PA Behrend CampusMay 28, 2015
Pros: Variable work hours
Cons: Not sure from semester to semester if I will be needed
I have minimal contact with the instructors on the Behrend campus, but they have always been readily available if needed. I found the administration always open for idea's and issue's. Very focused on the students.
I love teaching and would have considered it as a career but after so long in the work force I would have to take a substantial salary decrease, which I can not afford.
Great environment for learning new things
Lead Research Assistant (Former Employee), State College, PennsylvaniaMay 26, 2015
Access to a lot of information for research provided by Penn State.
Maintained ability to go to professor or graduate students for assistance.
Productive and friendly work environment.
Engaged Scholarship Ecosystem Manager (Former Employee), University Park, PAMay 26, 2015
Pros: Make own hours, intelligent/talented people
Cons: Always on call, political, many different departments so a hierarchy lacked at times
Made your own hours but was always connected via email. Learned I needed to find more of a work life balance and be able to shut it off. Management and the people I worked with were great. Everyone was helpful and dedicated to getting the job done. The hardest part was having to learn so much about things I was not familiar with but I understand why experience is so important.
great university
Student Softball Manager (Former Employee), University Park, PAMay 19, 2015
It was a great university with great professors. The opportunities are endless and there is always something to do each and every day.
Great university
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee), University Park, PAMay 14, 2015
As far as universities go, Penn State's a pretty good one to work for. HR processes are smooth; I got paid when I was supposed to and benefits kicked in on time. I would imagine that your experience is based on which unit you work in; my particular research center is really great, with great people and interesting work to do.
It was a lot of fun to work at the dining hall
Dining Hall Associate (Former Employee), Hazleton, PaMay 11, 2015
Pros: Relaxed environment
Cons: Scheduling is dependant on other people getting in their schedules
Even though most of the job was standing around waiting for people to bring you dirty dishes, I enjoyed doing it immensely.
This was a work study job
CLERICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee), AbingtonMay 5, 2015
Pros: Got to know the professors, developed basic office skills, the job I did was respected, and I was not treated like my job wasn't important.
Cons: No room for advancement, and terrible pay.
This job was my first office job. I filed paperwork, scanned, e-mailed professors, completed excel projects, sorted mail, made copies of lessons for professors, directed students, answered the phone, answered questions, and completed any other task I was given. At times I managed the office independently. I had two managers; both of them were ideal. They respected me, and the job that I did. We never had a communication problem, and they trusted me. I liked this job, but I had to leave because the pay was not good enough, and it was only work study.
Fun Summer Job with flexible hours
Gatorade Team Leader (Former Employee), University Park, PAMay 5, 2015
Pros: great job to build realtionships with others
Cons: have to sit outside in the hottest parts of summer
Distributor of Gatorade to all the sports camps across the PSU main campus.

I learned how to work well with others

Management was clear and concise with a strong order of operations

Co- workers were fun and athletic

time demands from coaches occasionally made the job strenuous

fun working environment
Great experience in the field I am majoring in.
Security (Former Employee), University Park, PAApril 30, 2015
Sign up for a detail event and work at the event. It could be for security or traffic control. The hardest part would be standing for 16 hour shifts sometimes with an hour break during football season. I enjoyed helping the community and working with officers and my fellow peers.
Not a bad place to work
Office of the President (Current Employee), University Park, PAApril 15, 2015
Some things in the office can be a little petty. For full-time workers the benefits and vacation plans are great. Co-workers are usually friendly.
Love it here
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee), University Park, PAApril 15, 2015
Love working for PSU. Excellent benefits. Great people here. Salary is good for general cost of living here. Campus is beautiful. Good technology available.
Strong work ethic and a great work culture
Development and Alumni Relations (Current Employee), Abington, PAApril 13, 2015
I truly enjoy working for Penn State Abington's Development office. Not only is the entire office fully dedicated to performing their best in all fields, but the work culture also amazing. Everyone functions as a team and everyone gets along well.
Fun
Internship (Former Employee), State College, PaApril 10, 2015
Learned to collect data, How to work with other people to collect data. Learned how to interact with other students working on the same goals.
Productive and Flexible work environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), University Park, PAApril 9, 2015
All on campus jobs at Penn State allow great flexibility with your class schedule. These jobs also offer more competitive pay for students than jobs in downtown state college.
Productive and great experience
Project Director (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Great health promotion program for girls attending middle school in Southwest Philadelphia.
Cons: Grant funded, not enough time to make a mark
Enjoyed the job as project director. Small office friendly staff and clean, organized atmosphere. Monthly staff meetings provided an opportunity to learn about accomplishments, project needs. Staff meeting held once a month for the purpose of improving communications relations amongst administration and management
Clique
CSR1 (Former Employee), State College PAMarch 31, 2015
If you aren't in a clique you're out of luck. The coworkers are fine but if you don't find a manager to join their club you're out in no time.
Good science, good people
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), University Park, PAMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Good place, friendly people
Cons: Long work days sometimes
Most days of a graduate assistant consist of running experiments, writing papers, mentoring undergraduate students, and most other things commonly associated with being a graduate student. I have excellent co-workers and my bosses are extremely knowledgeable and approachable.
Place for hard-working people
Research Assistant (Current Employee), State College, PAMarch 25, 2015
Being a post-doc at Penn State means working full time surrounded by terrific scientists. Besides, all the staff works extremely hard as well taking care of all the bureaucracies.
Productive workplace with good networking opportunities
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), State College, PAMarch 22, 2015
Pros: benefits/coverage, networking opportunities, fair compensation
Cons: hefty workload
I worked as an instructor for the university while I was a graduate student. I had a wonderful group of peers and plenty of helpful colleagues who were always willing to aid with networking opportunities. There was an imbalance between my work as a student and my work as an instructor, the latter of which often occupied the majority of my time. Regardless of this, expectations were fair and the overall work experience was invaluable.
Good work for college students
Student Manager (Former Employee), State College, PAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Good work for college students. Will work around classes and schedules. Pay is competitive for food service and there are food benefits for college students.