Penn State University Employer Reviews

very open to ideas
Research Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PAJanuary 7, 2014
I've got a lot of opportunities to lead the design and operation of projects. I was allowed to explore any ideas and received insightful feedback from my adviser and colleagues.
Great job to work
Disability Services Student Assistant (Current Employee), Reading, PAJanuary 7, 2014
a typical day would be that I work closely with the Disability Services Coordinator to provide administrative and student support, usually on a one-to-one basis. I learned the importance of confidentiality, the time management and learned to talk to a public crowd and speak closely to students and employees. their is nothing that i could say bad about – more... my job because I love everyone i work with and we have a great professional relationship. – less
In the middle of nowhere
Postdoc scholar (Former Employee), State College, PAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: very professional and progressive
Cons: i need a lively environment to get me going
The work environment was not very lively. This could be department specific. A typical day would be getting into a quite (dull) lab and doing your thing. Management is excellent. Co-workers do not mingle and mostly mind their business. Hardest part of the job was to cope with non-English speaking co-workers. Most enjoyable part was the beautiful place! – more... I learned a lot. Will be extremely useful in my next job! :) – less
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), State College, PAJanuary 6, 2014
This job was a wonderful place to be employed. It allowed me to remain in school while still earning extra money. The mos enjoyable part was getting to know different people.
Productive and professionally skilled fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), York, PAJanuary 6, 2014
I answered telephones, faxed/scan/copied papers, filed, customer service by assisting students with bus passes and lunch tickets. Created a stall seat journal that was posted weekly to inform students/staff of weekly events coming up. Retrieved mail, attended meetings with different involvement of levels of management.
Solid Work Experience
Academic Summer Bridge Programs Co-Coordinator (Former Employee), University Park, PAJanuary 4, 2014
My work experience was limited to internships and part time positions. However, these experiences taught my a multitude of lessons that I will carry for the rest of my career. The work environment at Penn State was great. My co-workers and my supervisors really made me feel like family. I have nothing but good words to say about my working experience.
Penn State University
Administrative Support Assistant 2 (Former Employee), University Park, PAJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, off holidays, competative salary
Cons: communication between supervisors
The experience in the daily operation and interaction with students and staff were professionally addressed. The learning experience never ended within the departments. Interior and exterior trainings were offered regularly. We were taught many new programs, and diversity opportunities.

The hardest part of the job is being able to adapt to the many – more... supervisors and their different expectations.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the diversity offered. The interaction with the students from around the world. The many opportunities to expand your education and experience. – less
Huge school, good facilities
Research Assistant (Former Employee), State College, PADecember 27, 2013
Lots of well known professors who are experts in their field. Big school but you can also get the help you need from individual professors. Fun!
Productive, Fun place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PADecember 22, 2013
Worked as a research associate in the biochemistry and molecular biology labs. I had a wonderful PI that was passionate about his research and loved teaching.
Penn State York - Continuing Education
Manager, Business-to-Business Dev. & Outreach (Former Employee), York, PADecember 16, 2013
The Management team during my tenure at The Penn State York Campus was amazing and very much in tune with equipping their employees to succeed in their work for PSU!

• Managed self-sustaining, strategic business unit dedicated to customized, on-site training for Corporate, Government and Association clientele. The leads and relationships developed – more... provided entree for strategic and profitable University offerings such as on-site credit. Provided revenue-stream to campus bottom line; the unit became self-sustaining.
• Analyzed, managed and nurtured the sales process from cold-calls and prospecting through closing and execution of training.
• Focused new business development in manufacturing and corporate segments. Increased contract client-base by 65% in the first year. – less
Fantastic Lab experience
Limnology Field Lab Technician (Former Employee), University Park, PADecember 16, 2013
great work environment
excellent facilities
easy to maintain paperwork and paycheck information
Fun, college life job
Commonwealth Campus Student Government (Current Employee), State College, PADecember 12, 2013
Pros: fun, good connections
This was very productive as a student. I learned many leadership skills and attended 4 leadership conferences in the process!
Nice job
Scholarships (Former Employee), Erie, PADecember 12, 2013
Enjoyed working there for the annual scholarship conventions. Lots of people. Good team work.
Penn State University
Admissions Counselor/Recruiter (Current Employee), McKeesport, PADecember 4, 2013
Pros: traveling to different states and countries, free meals
Cons: little balance between work life and personal life with expected work hours
On a daily basis, my focus is recruitment for the next year. Oftentimes I am contacting students and guidance counselors to encourage applications, missing information, or to help students meet the requirements for admissions. I also meet with students and families in the office, schools, and during college/career fairs. The most enjoyable part of my – more... job is having students reach their academic dreams through the college experience. The hardest part of my job is having to identify, interview, and carryout provisional interviews, but having to deny admission to students and explain why. I have learned impeccable customer service techniques, polished presentation skills, but also updated my technology skills through my marketing and social media campaigns for the department. – less
Highly active work with talented and capable students
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), University Park, PADecember 3, 2013
This position was intensive in creating and strengthening student programs.
Great work environment, lots of opportunities
Matlab Programmer (Former Employee), EngineeringDecember 3, 2013
Pros: good experience
I was a volunteer programmer. After I completed my research I got to fly to a convention and present the results.
Perfect job for students and the tech savvy
Computer Lab Agent, Campus Computer Technician (Former Employee), Mont Alto, PANovember 25, 2013
Pros: getting paid to study
Working in the computer lab was the ideal on campus job, getting paid to study. Working in the IT department will allow you to meet your fellow students and make friends.
Very exciting and fun environment
Student Assistmnant (Current Employee), Registar/Admissions officeNovember 19, 2013
Is very good establishment to get an education. I learned a lot by dealing with the students and perspective students. It taught me the value of customers service. I had a great deal of Microsoft office which also helped me in my classes.
Nice place to work at
IT Services Intern (Former Employee), Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 12, 2013
Cordial & Helpful co-workers. Provides great work-life balance.
Position permits engineering consulting opportunities.
Senior Instructor of Engineering (Former Employee), Greater Allegheny Campus, McKeesport, PANovember 12, 2013
Pros: convienent schedules.
Cons: quality of students and faculty politics.
Enjoyed the teaching. However, engineering student quality has decreased over the past years.

About Penn State University

The Penn State College of Education serves approximately 2,800 undergraduate and 1,200 graduate students each year. The College – Read more

Penn State University Photos