Penn State University Employee Reviews

Excellent place to go to school.
Student (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 23, 2017
Penn State is an excellent place to go to school and I would definitely recommend it to someone. The professors are always willing to work with you and help you when you need it.
Fun Workplace
Head Desk Monitor (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 22, 2017
It was easy to work here. You could be on your phone and do as you pleased. The staff was super nice and easy to get along with. I loved giving tours and meeting new students.
Summer Job
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 22, 2017
I enjoyed working and being around with professional workers. I learned so much and didn't really care the minimum wage as I was a High School student and work there during the summer.
Very relaxed and welcoming work environment
Information Technology Services Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Media, PAMay 18, 2017
Above all of my collegiate experiences at other schools, I have most enjoyed my stay at Penn State University's Brandywine campus. I have been able to work a plethora of work study jobs alongside competent and helpful staff. I also enjoyed the population of students I was able to serve as I worked.
Good college to study
Secretary of Digi Digits (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 16, 2017
The classes are well organized and the work environment is productive. The study culture is very studious and the work management is very organized. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendliness of people.
Challenging place to work with rare opportunities available
Assistant Director for Faculty Development (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 15, 2017
The benefits, opportunities for continuing education and advancement, and work-life balance are phenomenal. It's a valuable place to work. Mileage may vary with your direct report as with any large organization, but rarely have I found that to be a systemic problem at the institution.
Bad place to work
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 12, 2017
There was some good managers but as with any job there are some very bad managers. Policies on entering forms changed with out notifying people entering the forms.
Pros
benifits
Cons
Management and bad communication
a great place to work! there is a lot of hard work to be done but we always have fun doing it !! great pay and benifits !
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Mont Alto, PAMay 10, 2017
Great place to work !! Great pay and benefits as a full time employee , you will not find better in this area for food service. If you enjoy food service and young adults this is for you.our students work in the mill with us,they are fun and challenging at same time but its about teaching them about being part of a productive work place.we do work hard to Make sure we are providing the best possible meals and service for our students. We may have to work hard but it is a great team to be a part of !! WE ARE PENN STATE !!!!!
Productive, easy-going
Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 9, 2017
Work days varied.
I learned how to interact with people a lot better than I have ever been able too.
Management did well when posed with a challenge.
Hardest part of the Job would have to be dealing with students that got angry with the rules that we have as desk clerks.
Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the fact we were allowed to work on assignments during a shift.
Great Employer
Professor of Practice (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 8, 2017
Working at the largest employer in centre county was enjoyable. There were many workplace professional development opportunities which is a plus in any work environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Glass ceiling for non-degree employees
Amazing workplace and environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  123 Pollock Building, University Park, PA, USAMay 5, 2017
A typical day was very academic. I would go to the RA office to pick up flyers and bulletin board materials for posting. I left my door open while in the building for residents to come in and chat. I would do rounds on assigned nights and weekends to maintain a safe environment in the building, sometimes with another RA. I held weekly resident events and monthly floor meetings to update students on university policies and events.
I learned how to deal with a number of stressful situations (mediation, medical emergencies) and how to work with people from all over the world.
Management was very understanding about academic responsibilities. Monthly meetings were held to update each other on what was going on in our lives and how to improve our service.
The workplace culture was very supportive. We were like a family.
The hardest part about the job was the sacrifice of a social life and the inability to be out of the building on nights and weekends.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the floor events and the RA events.
Pros
Paid room and board, as well as part of tuition
Cons
Restrictions on social life
Productive and relaxed work place
Internship as infant and toddler teacher (Former Employee) –  State College, PAMay 5, 2017
I worked in a cubicle a couple times a week to do office duties. I learned many organization skills and professionalism skills. My supervisor was very helpful and fun to be around. It was very enjoyable but I did only work off wage payroll for one summer because they cut back.
A great college and an alright place to work
Assistant Technical Director (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAApril 29, 2017
Penn State is a great school and I would have loved to work there full time. However, my position was not allowed to be full. The work day was pleasant and the people were helpful and kind.
Productive and fun place to teach student how to study the material.
Student tutor (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 28, 2017
As a tutor i helped students to find answers to their questions, work with them to review material for quizzes and tests, provide them with test preparation and test taking tips, help them establish short and long term study goals, review exams from previous semesters, and much more.
Pros
While teaching student one retains the information much better.
Cons
Was on campus all dau/
one of the best universities
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 27, 2017
The Penn State is the one of the best research universities in the US. Very productive working environment and supportive stuff. Working inside the campus is another big plus.
Okay
Equipment Room Worker (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 26, 2017
Working at Penn State was a hit or miss with me. There were times I loved working there and there were times I could not stand the environment. All in all I balanced my life accordingly so I will not complain.
Hockey Coach (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 26, 2017
As a student at Penn State it was great to be able to find a job that I like to work with and get paid to do it. Coming from the background I did I was a great fit for the position.
From Student to Part-Time Employee - it was OK
Entrepreneurship Liaison (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 25, 2017
Penn State is an incredible academic institution. I had a fantastic experience as an undergraduate student. I graduated and started working for the university and did not expect how bureaucratic it was. (In retrospect, I shouldn't have been surprised.) Overall, if you like central PA and love PSU, working for them full-time should be a good experience.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Traditional beaurocracy
Grader (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 25, 2017
I worked as a TA/Grader at PSU, it's a good experience. I need to grading the students' assignment, I also need to give then instructions when they met problems.
work study
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  State College, PAApril 24, 2017
this was a work study position that i loved but i created the position myself and was the only employee. i don't have anything else to say about it but i am required 150 characters

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4