Penn State University Employee Reviews

Flexible culture to work within
Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 12, 2017
Opportunities for growth in various departments across the University, although it can be challenging to advance to higher management if not already starting at a associate director or better position.
Not a bad deal, but the politics is frustrating.
Resident Assistant (RA) (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 11, 2017
Day to day is entirely dependent on what housing location you're in and the quality of the residents you have. It's totally out of your control where you end up, so good luck getting where you want!
Pros
Occasionally free food/stuff.
Cons
Highly political environment. Occasionally judgmental peers/coworkers.
Educational environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  State College, PAApril 10, 2017
All the facilities are available on campus with spacious lab and well equipped labs.
Typically it is 9-5 working place but there is lot of flexibility depending on the area and lab group you work with.
Excellent Work Environment
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 10, 2017
Easy going days, challenging goals, great environment to work, good balance between home life and work. Excellent strategic plans, inclusive and open minded campus.
benefits
fun
TUTOR AND FRONT DESK GREETER (Former Employee) –  University Park, PA 16802April 8, 2017
A good environment for student's to make some extra money and not have to travel. On campus job working under student managers for a decent pay, overall good,
trade offs
Intern (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 7, 2017
trades jobs for benefits unfairly. More politics than business. Wouldn't work there if other options are available. I'm also biased as a former student with a lot of debt and little headway on paying it off
Great School
Assistant (Current Employee) –  State College, PAApril 4, 2017
It is great working there, the atmosphere is great and the people are amazing. Management does a great job at doing what they do and it makes everyone happy!
Meaningful and respectful
Admissions Ambassador (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 3, 2017
Friendly atmosphere with a rewarding work, a positively charged atmosphere at a "public ivy". The people are helpful and friendly, and there is a sense of camaraderie and teamwork among staff members.
productive, very flexible schedule
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  State College, PAApril 3, 2017
Working for the bryce jordon center at Penn State they have very flexible hours and accommodate employees by their strengths.
Can pick up extra hours when you need it
Great place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 3, 2017
Pennsylvania State University is the top university. I have learn alot from this place. For the time I spent in graduated program in electrical engineering department, I have learn many good lessons, met great people, and gave me great opportunities for the future.
I loved working at Penn State
System Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAMarch 30, 2017
Great team to work with. Always learning new software and use of tools to repair and maintain computers. Shared information between all campuses which was very helpful in problem solving.
Great work environment
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 28, 2017
West Dining Commons had the best work environment I have ever been included in. Relaxed environment in which student employees are taught great skills.
Pros
Discounted student meals., Experience managing 259 student co-workers, experience working with ESL student-workers.
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 26, 2017
Good environment for academic career. Colleagues are nice. The department supports graduate student to do research. The professors are actively engaged in cutting edge research.
It's a nice place, however
Part Time Employee (Current Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 24, 2017
It's a nice place to work, however good luck trying to get in full time! It's extremely difficult when it should be easy to get full time. Highly considering looking elsewhere for full time work.
Great place
Coach (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 21, 2017
Wonderful place to work, excellent benefits and flexible workplace environment. Staff is committed to provide the best education to students and their families.
Student
Team Member (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 15, 2017
Student life is great here, but the quality of education could be better. I have had several professors that very obviously cared more about their research than they did about teaching the class. For the most part though, professors are pretty good.
Productive and friendly staff, motivated to complete daily tasks
Telephone Representative (Current Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 14, 2017
I very much enjoy working at Penn State University. It is a welcoming environment where everyone is willing to help each other and learn new skills along the way. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to utilize my communication skills by speaking with alumni over the phone and having a conversation about their experience at Penn State.
An excellent place to learn
Student (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAMarch 13, 2017
The school was a good place to learn, as you got to know new people and learn from them. I got to know the teacher, as they taught me and encourage me not to give up one day at a time.
Pros
They were very encouraging
Cons
I felt at times that I had the load of the world on my back.
Online TA
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 13, 2017
Flexible workdays, Researched in Rolls lab.

Learned lot of new techniques and improved my writing, analytical and statistical skills.

Nice co-workers.
It was a great working environment.
Gym Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Media, PAMarch 13, 2017
It had great staff and a fun workload I would work there again. I greeted people who came into the gym and if they needed help learning how to use the equipment then I assisted them with that.