Penn State University Employee Reviews in United States

A great opportunity to learn tissue culture and chemical assays.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  university parkSeptember 28, 2015
The work period at Penn State was very comfortable, I had flexible hours and loved working extra over weekends. I learnt plant tissue culture tecniques towards anthocyanin production from sorghum and potato. Also, I did chemical analysis assays on sorghum leaf extracts. The lab was new and I was the only employee initially. So it was hard, as all the work was also new. I set up the entire lab with help of people from other labs. I knew what to do but how to do I wasn't sure; but my PI and other fellow lab mates helped me through and I could work efficiently.
Laid Back
Internet Technician (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PASeptember 23, 2015
Everyone who works here is very technically savvy with computers and easy to talk with. Since you never work more than about 4 hours at a time because of classes, you can have days where you don't get a lunch.
upscale office environment, green innovation practiced here
Clerical Aide (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 21, 2015
I work as a clerical aide with responsibilities for the mail room, publications library and any assigned tasks. The toughest part of the job is getting the mail to the posting station before the postman arrives. It's great knowing the Green Building in which I work is one of Pittsburgh's finest.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Meeting the demands of management to the letter
Good place to work !
Rhetoric and Composition Instructor (Former Employee) –  Abington, PASeptember 19, 2015
I enjoyed working here, but as an Adjunct your opportunities are extremely limited.
The work environment is ideal as they provide you will all of the resources needed for you to effectively teach in their academic setting.
The students, for the most part, are motivated and conscientious. It does make teaching enjoying.
Very enjoyable atmosphere
Records Specialist, Non-Credit Registration Office (Current Employee) –  Innovation ParkSeptember 19, 2015
The team in my office is very knowledgable and always willing to teach new things. Group effort is important to create a pleasant work area. Cross training makes us all productive in all areas. I enjoy working at Penn State because of the opportunities to advance.
Pros
Flexibility
Undergraduate Explorer (Former Employee) –  State College, PASeptember 18, 2015
Great place to work and had lot of fun meeting individuals from different background. Lot of opportunities. It was part time and unpaid job
Easy, Fun, Caring faculty and co-workers
Fundraiser for Academics (Former Employee) –  State CollegeSeptember 15, 2015
Working at Lion Lines was a great experience. It was a great job for students to work for a few hours at night and make some money. The job, depending on the day, starts at 6:30pm and runs until 9:30pm. The shift would start with a brief speech by a shift leader and then the call shift would begin. We would call alumni, parents, and friends of Penn State for academic gifts.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and staff, free coffee/tea during shift, make your own schedule, ability to earn weekly payraises
Cons
Student job, shifts can be inconvenient for homework students.
n/a
Assistant Athletic Director (Current Employee) –  FCCSeptember 8, 2015
Being a part of a growing Athletics department has allowed me to be creative and resourceful in creating new events on campus related to recruiting, academic development, community outreach, and event management.
Janitorial
Landscaping (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 30, 2015
This job kept you busy. Cleaning class rooms, labs and offices. I was able to get 2 interviews to get full time, but I never heard anything back from them after I called numerous of times.
Fun and challenging work place.
Drawing Foundations Instructor (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 29, 2015
Teaching three days a week was fun and rewarding experience to my personal and professional growth. The most enjoyable part of my job was finding new ways to help students and learning from them.
part-time teaching job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  PA, United States of AmericaAugust 24, 2015
During the first year of my doctoral studies at The Pennsylvania state University, I worked as a teaching assistant of Macroeconomics. My primary responsibilities were working with students beyond the classroom. holding recitation sessions for them during which they could ask questions regarding the subject matter. The most enjoyable part of this job was interaction with students that provided me with valuable teaching and communication experience. The hardest part was handling email-correspondence in a timely manner with several hundred students.
Pros
gained valuable communication and teaching skills.
Cons
managing email correspondence with more than 800 students
Very relaxed and friendly environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 16, 2015
Typical day consisted of cleaning dormitory rooms. The drawers, windows, desks, and floors would be cleaned. Other times the hallways would be swept or the stairwells would be cleaned.

The managers were very understanding and did not micromanage the workers. My co-workers were friendly and welcomed me since my first day on the job.

The hardest part of the job was keeping busy since some days there was not a lot of work. Since most of the rooms are unused during the summer after they get cleaned, we had to find other tasks pass the time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all of the different people. There were workers from the age of 21 up to the age of 53. The younger workers were easy to talk to because I could relate to them in regard to life experience. The older workers were also easy to converse with since they mentored me and shared their unique life experiences.

At the end of my time working as a housekeeper, I learned the ins and outs of the dormitory cleaning process. I was also able to see how much work goes into the cleaning process, as one can never expect what the students will leave behind in bathrooms or dorm rooms.
Pros
Paid lunch, exploration of the dorms
Cons
No overtime
Poor Management
Police Services Officer (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 12, 2015
The schedule as far as police work goes was amazing.

The management was more worried about their own advancement than of those they led.

Your co-workers are awesome and look out for each other.

The pay check and vacation time were the best parts about the job.

Police work is inherently tough and the management sought ways to make it tougher.

There has been new management since I have left and hopefully things are improving.
Researched attorney-client privilege and confidentiality
Research Assistant to Professor Sechler (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 11, 2015
• Researched whether attorney-client privilege is based in the Constitution
• Researched the history of client confidentiality and attorney client privilege
Flexible and fun place for a research assistant position
Research Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  State College, PAAugust 6, 2015
I cataloged 675 rehab facilities in Pennsylvania for alcohol treatment.
I also cataloged other materials into Excel for her to use for her bivariate analysis.
I researched materials my superior needed for her thesis.
I also studied her materials as to be adept on her thesis.
I completed a 10 white paper on my own thought's about how alcohol is handled with in Pennsylvania, specifically in State College.

I learned time management, improved my excel skills, research, and collaboration.

My superior was amazing to work with. She was really helpful and we collaborated really well together. She even was willing to answer my questions about grad school because she was currently in that situation.. We had a wonderful working relationship.

The hardest part was that the work was tedious, but I made it fun by color coding and making it fun for myself.

The most enjoyable part was my supervisor and the topic. I was so excited when she completed her thesis.
Pros
The flexibility and the wonderful supervisor
Great Writting Program
Lecturer in Rhetoric and Composition (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 1, 2015
They are really excellent there, and the training program before you start is very helpful, regardless of whether or not you have taught before. I enjoyed my time there, and the provide good facilities.
Penn State is a great place for graduate level education
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University ParkJuly 17, 2015
Management and Colleagues are very friendly and efficient. Wrok Life balance is great. Weather is too cold though which can get depressing sometimes.
Pros
Travel grants, Free Lunches
Good place to work, but with limited advancement potential.
Research Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Population Research InstituteJuly 14, 2015
For me, Penn State is a good place to work, with low job stress most of the time. Job advancement is somewhat limited due to the nature of programming work. Co-workers in my department are very friendly and the management style is hands-off.
My Adjuct writing teacher position at Penn State University has fulfilled my teaching career because of the challenge of managing the classroom.
ESL Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAJuly 12, 2015
Everyday is a great learning experience. Everytime I teach English 015 (Rhetorical Argument, writing), I adjust the lesson plan and add more exercises to teach basic essay writing. I find it a challenge but very rewarding because of the improvement of the students in their writing.

I have learned how to effectively manage the classroom, including the absenteeism, and assignment due dates, and students' concerns. Students understand the importance of attending the class on-time, and turning in their assignments on-time.

My manager is great because he responds to me immediately concerning my questions.

A typical teaching day includes: A Freewrite, Peer review, new grammar point, essay writing learning point (thesis, transition, etc.), homework assignment, quiz, etc.
Pros
Always a challenge which I enjoy
Cons
Challenge includes students and material which I enjoy
Overall great work experience
Resident Life Penn State (Former Employee) –  PAJuly 7, 2015
normal pace
campus life
great management
friendly and helpful co-workers
N/A
Being able to help students on campus with their needs and wants
Pros
able to do homework at work, flexiable schudeul
Cons
N/A

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4