Penn State University

Penn State University Employer Reviews

Nice job
Scholarships (Former Employee), Erie, PADecember 12, 2013
Enjoyed working there for the annual scholarship conventions. Lots of people. Good team work.
Penn State University
Admissions Counselor/Recruiter (Current Employee), McKeesport, PADecember 4, 2013
Pros: traveling to different states and countries, free meals
Cons: little balance between work life and personal life with expected work hours
On a daily basis, my focus is recruitment for the next year. Oftentimes I am contacting students and guidance counselors to encourage applications, missing information, or to help students meet the requirements for admissions. I also meet with students and families in the office, schools, and during college/career fairs. The most enjoyable part of my – more... job is having students reach their academic dreams through the college experience. The hardest part of my job is having to identify, interview, and carryout provisional interviews, but having to deny admission to students and explain why. I have learned impeccable customer service techniques, polished presentation skills, but also updated my technology skills through my marketing and social media campaigns for the department. – less
Highly active work with talented and capable students
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), University Park, PADecember 3, 2013
This position was intensive in creating and strengthening student programs.
Great work environment, lots of opportunities
Matlab Programmer (Former Employee), EngineeringDecember 3, 2013
Pros: good experience
I was a volunteer programmer. After I completed my research I got to fly to a convention and present the results.
Perfect job for students and the tech savvy
Computer Lab Agent, Campus Computer Technician (Former Employee), Mont Alto, PANovember 25, 2013
Pros: getting paid to study
Working in the computer lab was the ideal on campus job, getting paid to study. Working in the IT department will allow you to meet your fellow students and make friends.
Very exciting and fun environment
Student Assistmnant (Current Employee), Registar/Admissions officeNovember 19, 2013
Is very good establishment to get an education. I learned a lot by dealing with the students and perspective students. It taught me the value of customers service. I had a great deal of Microsoft office which also helped me in my classes.
Nice place to work at
IT Services Intern (Former Employee), Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 12, 2013
Cordial & Helpful co-workers. Provides great work-life balance.
Position permits engineering consulting opportunities.
Senior Instructor of Engineering (Former Employee), Greater Allegheny Campus, McKeesport, PANovember 12, 2013
Pros: convienent schedules.
Cons: quality of students and faculty politics.
Enjoyed the teaching. However, engineering student quality has decreased over the past years.
summer camp coordinating
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Wyomissing, PANovember 11, 2013
Penn State had a great staff to work with. I learned how to manage my time most efficiently while accomplishing overall goals. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the end result when the kids were participating in the camp events.
Rewarding internship experience.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), ShenyangNovember 10, 2013
Very rewarding internship experience. Old-fashioned management structure, but complex manufacturing processes is always exciting to learn.
Challenging work environment with knowledgeable colleaugues
Urban Greening Coordinator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 5, 2013
Plan, create and install greenscapes and community vegetable gardens throughout the city of Pittsburgh. Project teams consisted of community residents, government officials, funding organizations and co-workers working together to enhance the appearance and pride of our inner city neighborhoods.
Great School
Data Scientist (Current Employee), State College PANovember 3, 2013
Great boss and great group I am working at. People are friendly. A lot of talented students.
Great experience
Graduate Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee), State College, PaOctober 30, 2013
Pros: college setting
Cons: temporary position
6-6
Great Management
Great co-workers
Hardest part- early mornings
Best part- BCS level athletics
Not sure what this category means.
Adjunct Professor Continuing Education Department (Current Employee), PAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: i have academic freedom when teaching and when writing my curriculum
Cons: none that i have experienced.
Excellent University to work for. Quality administration, faculty and staff and quality students. Healthy culture and friendly and competent co-workers. I enjoy teaching the students in the continuing education department. I enjoy designing curriculum and the collaboratin I receive from other faculty members on projects is supportive.
Professional and great learning environment
Business Services Department - Intern (Former Employee), Media, PAOctober 18, 2013
While interning at Penn State, a typical day consisted of reading over resumes and setting up phone and on-campus interviews. I would also attend meetings for our search committees. I would coordinate with all of the committee members; when we would meet and when we would conduct interviews. I learned a great deal about FMLA and how to develop a new – more... employee handbook for new staff hires. I also learned a lot about what the HR team is responisble for in a university setting. My supervisor was very good at making sure I was actually learning in the field and gaining useful knowledge to take into the workforce. My co-workers were very helpful and polite when I needed their help. The hardest part of the job was to accept praise from my supervisor. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the current staff and the people who we interviewed. – less
Great place to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee), University PArkOctober 10, 2013
I had a great adviser while I was at Penn State and learned a lot from him.
Loved working for my Alma Mater
Director of Housing (Former Employee), Altoona, PAOctober 9, 2013
Pros: working with students.
Cons: live-in position
Worked with students on a daily basis. Planned special events and programs.
Penn State Math Department Grader
Grader and Proctor (Former Employee), University Park, PAOctober 8, 2013
Work really depends on the grad student or professor you work for. Although, it is nice being able to do work whenever you have free time in the comfort of your own room.
Productive and fun workplace with ability to learn people skills
Work Study Student (Current Employee), Schuylkill Haven, PAOctober 7, 2013
Pros: learning people skills, flexibility in scheduling, supportive supervisory staff
Cons: temporary, financial need-based position
A typical day at work included checking in with my supervisor, entering any work orders submitted by residential students into the electronic database, delivering campus and university correspondence to students living in the residential buildings, in addition to answering general questions of students asking to set appointments with residential life – more... and housing staff. – less
Great University to start your education
Office Clerk (Current Employee), Abington, PAOctober 3, 2013
This university is very high culture and you get to met students and professors from all over the world. you as a student can as well travel and study abroad to different parts of the country.

About Penn State University

The Penn State College of Education serves approximately 2,800 undergraduate and 1,200 graduate students each year. The College – Read more

Penn State University Photos