Penn State University

Penn State University Employee Reviews

fun learning experience
Teaching Assistant (Race, Crime, and Justice) (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJuly 16, 2014
I was a teaching assistant for the Race, Crime, and Justice class at Penn State. I did this for two semesters in a row and I very much enjoyed it. I learned how to teach college students in large classroom settings and at times it could be very difficult. The topics we talked about in class were very interesting and I feel that I did a good job at helping the students further their education.
Solid Work Experience
Academic Summer Bridge Programs Co-Coordinator (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAJanuary 4, 2014
My work experience was limited to internships and part time positions. However, these experiences taught my a multitude of lessons that I will carry for the rest of my career. The work environment at Penn State was great. My co-workers and my supervisors really made me feel like family. I have nothing but good words to say about my working experience.
Easy Going Environment that made coming to work enjoyable
Public Relations Intern (Current Employee) –  Abington, PaJune 9, 2015
I really liked this position as I felt that I learned a lot, and grew as a person. The task were challenging and rewarding.
I usually coming in and meet with other students and staff. Other days I was responsible for making flyers and information pieces.
I found this job to be very easy, fun and rewarding.
Pros
The People
Cons
low pay and hours
Was able to gain an extensive amount of quality coaching and recruiting experience.
Offensive Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 4, 2014
Each day brought different challenges, but the experience I gained from this job will allow me to move on and be successful when faced with similar situations in the future.

I now have working knowledge of the day-to-day operations within a major D-1 College Football program
Great job to work
Disability Services Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJanuary 7, 2014
a typical day would be that I work closely with the Disability Services Coordinator to provide administrative and student support, usually on a one-to-one basis. I learned the importance of confidentiality, the time management and learned to talk to a public crowd and speak closely to students and employees. their is nothing that i could say bad about my job because I love everyone i work with and we have a great professional relationship.
Busy and nice office environment
Office Assistant, Maintenance Department (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAMay 25, 2012
I would usual set my schedule for 20 hours a week during the school semester. My daily tasks include filing, photocopying, telephone answering, payroll, delivery, and other on campus duties. Co-workers were very pleasant to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was attending to guests with questions and concerns.
Satisfying and rewarding place to work
Continuing Education Representative (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAJanuary 27, 2015
Penn State University is a good place to work, considering we help educate young people and professionals in a variety of fields.
The most enjoyable part of working in the Continuing Education unit is the ability to help adults in career transition and/or with their professional development needs.
Pros
great benefits, flexible work schedule
Cons
long commute, silo-like culture, bureaucratic processes
Not sure what this category means.
Adjunct Professor Continuing Education Department (Current Employee) –  PAOctober 22, 2013
Excellent University to work for. Quality administration, faculty and staff and quality students. Healthy culture and friendly and competent co-workers. I enjoy teaching the students in the continuing education department. I enjoy designing curriculum and the collaboratin I receive from other faculty members on projects is supportive.
Pros
i have academic freedom when teaching and when writing my curriculum
Cons
none that i have experienced.
Exciting, student-led editorial team
Co-Managing Editor (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 8, 2013
Our editorial team received and edits submissions from Writing Tutors at universities throughout the country. I have learned what goes into publishing an issue twice a year and working with an editorial team. I was tasked with assigning jobs to each editor throughout the year to complete, which was challenging at times. I really enjoyed working in a team though.
Pros
great experience in editorial work
Cons
unpaid
Fun place to work while meeting new people
Supported the director by taking the lead (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAJanuary 21, 2013
I would do senatorial work as well as event planning for multicultural events.
I learned how to host and plan events.
The manager was a mentor as well as a friend.
The hardest part of the job was getting people to come out to the events.
The most enjoyable part was meeting new people, some of who are celebrities, and spreading awareness on multicultural issues.
Pros
meeting new people and belonging
upscale office environment, green innovation practiced here
Clerical Aide (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 21, 2015
I work as a clerical aide with responsibilities for the mail room, publications library and any assigned tasks. The toughest part of the job is getting the mail to the posting station before the postman arrives. It's great knowing the Green Building in which I work is one of Pittsburgh's finest.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Meeting the demands of management to the letter
Great university
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 14, 2015
As far as universities go, Penn State's a pretty good one to work for. HR processes are smooth; I got paid when I was supposed to and benefits kicked in on time. I would imagine that your experience is based on which unit you work in; my particular research center is really great, with great people and interesting work to do.
Fun working experience!
Food Service (Former Employee) –  North Food DistrictAugust 2, 2014
Working at PSU was my first time working in food service. For my first time, it was a great working experience. Both my managers and co-workers were fun, young-hearted, and very interpersonal. I enjoyed learning things about food service and the preparation.
Pros
discounted food, managers were always praising employees for their hard work, managers were very approachable and caring
Cons
no breaks for students, large amounts of food were composted every shift (very sad)
Great Advisor in a booring and unfriendly department
Postdoctoral Research in Physics (Current Employee) –  State College, PAFebruary 6, 2015
The physics dept. at Penn State is full of brilliant people.
Unfortunately, they are not social and different research group are isolated form each other. This fact makes the work environment not very stimulating for a Postdoctoral Researcher.
Pros
major research university with good ranking internationally
Cons
no collaborations among different research groups
Nice workplace with highly qualified people
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park CampusJanuary 8, 2015
Hours are flexible, so it's a good place if you don't like to wake up early in the morning. The workload is huge though. I have gained a lot of experience in data work and research and learned a lot from some of the most talented academicians of the US.
Pros
free work environment
Cons
low salary
Productive and professionally skilled fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 6, 2014
I answered telephones, faxed/scan/copied papers, filed, customer service by assisting students with bus passes and lunch tickets. Created a stall seat journal that was posted weekly to inform students/staff of weekly events coming up. Retrieved mail, attended meetings with different involvement of levels of management.
Good place to work !
Rhetoric and Composition Instructor (Former Employee) –  Abington, PASeptember 19, 2015
I enjoyed working here, but as an Adjunct your opportunities are extremely limited.
The work environment is ideal as they provide you will all of the resources needed for you to effectively teach in their academic setting.
The students, for the most part, are motivated and conscientious. It does make teaching enjoying.
Good workplace with nice people and it is convenient to look for information at library.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eberly College of ScienceMarch 5, 2015
As an research assistant, I study regulation of Notch Signaling for Cell Fate Control and Neural Morphogenesis in Drosophila with molecular biology approaches, including PCR, DNA gel electrophoresis. During work time, I followed a PhD student to learn and do my work.
Fitness
Student Advisor for fitness program (Former Employee) –  Coudersport PANovember 19, 2014
I helped out with the Penn state program that went to elementary schools and got the kids who had to stay after get active. We would teach them fun activities to keep them active and when that was finished would show them and easy and healthy snack they could make at home.
Pros
working with the kids
Cons
only a seasonal job
Great job with challenging and fun project
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 6, 2014
This is a research oriented university, most of work involves pioneering research in this area. I learned semiconductor device physics and obtained hands on experience of device fabrication processes. The most challenging part is to find a novel way to solve a problem which has not been solved by anyone in the world, and this is also the most enjoyable part of the job

4.4