Penn State University

Penn State University Employee Reviews

Fun working experience!
Food Service (Former Employee), North Food DistrictAugust 2, 2014
Pros: discounted food, managers were always praising employees for their hard work, managers were very approachable and caring
Cons: no breaks for students, large amounts of food were composted every shift (very sad)
Working at PSU was my first time working in food service. For my first time, it was a great working experience. Both my managers and co-workers were fun, young-hearted, and very interpersonal. I enjoyed learning things about food service and the preparation.
Penn State showcases one of the highest numbers of students in the world. It's a reputable school with many resources, assisting student advancement.
Effective Speech Instructor (Former Employee), Lower Burrell, PAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: my alma mater, pay, and assistance from management.
Cons: n/a.
Management was straight-forward with information and likeable. They assisted with helping me meet and exceed student learning outcomes. A graduate of the school, I received a prestigious teaching award and was credited with helping the communications department stand out on the campus.
Excellent research opportunities, with some ups and downs
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee), University Park, PAJuly 22, 2014
Working at a research lab in a large university like Penn State will vary considerably both between and within departments. Generally speaking I have had good experiences with administrators and with my direct supervisor and co-workers here. However, I do not find my department generally friendly and welcoming. It has a competitive atmosphere, rather than a cooperative spirit.
fun learning experience
Teaching Assistant (Race, Crime, and Justice) (Former Employee), State College, PAJuly 16, 2014
I was a teaching assistant for the Race, Crime, and Justice class at Penn State. I did this for two semesters in a row and I very much enjoyed it. I learned how to teach college students in large classroom settings and at times it could be very difficult. The topics we talked about in class were very interesting and I feel that I did a good job at helping the students further their education.
Enjoyed the experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), University Park, PAJuly 15, 2014
Working at Penn State was a great experience, learning about propulsion and RF Applications for propulsion and communication.
Great University
Teaching Assistant, Department of Sociology (Former Employee), University Park, PAJuly 14, 2014
Great Faculty and staff at this University. Would recommend it to any prospective student out of high school.
Great University and limited resources
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PAJune 24, 2014
Pros: freedom, security, department
Cons: funding, hours and wage compensation
Penn State does top notch research and recruits potential that displays that. The program is structured differently for each individual offering an experience second to none
Relaxing, enjoyable work environment with friendly coworkers
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Farm Operations, University ParkJune 23, 2014
Pros: friendly work environment, snack bar, low stress
Cons: no air conditioning, had to bring own lunches
A pleasant work environment in which I shared an office with the professor I worked with.

Fairly quiet workplace in which I could focus on my work without interruption.

My coworkers were friendly and polite, and managers were the same.

I was able to learn several new programs, and experiment with several programs I specifically asked to use.

Breaks were short but reasonable, and lunch was the standard 30 minutes. A lunch room was provided, but lunches were not free.

A snack bar was present with snacks available for sale at a low price.

The hardest part of the job was working in the heat of the summer, as there was no air conditioning in the office.
Facility Management
Recreation Facility Supervisor-The White Building (Current Employee), University Park, PAJune 22, 2014
I have a wonderful experience learning about facility management and event operations with Penn State Athletics.
Penn State University
Res Com Technician (Current Employee), Reading, PAJune 18, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no benefits, limited hours
-dealing with customers and handling what their issues are.
-I have continued to learn how to deal with many types of people along with the devices they bring to the table.
-I have had to instruct other employees concerning customers and any questions the other students would have.
-all of my co-workers were very easy to get along with.
-the hardest part of this job was to continually learn how to interact when new problems would arise. But when overcome would be very rewarding.
-interacting with different people everyday, and dealing with a multitude of equipment.
Nice quite places for Tutoring
Teaching Assistent (Former Employee), Dunmore, PAJune 16, 2014
Had to meet with many students, which helped to understand the weak points that most of the students have.
Research Productive University, Must be self-driven
Post Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), State College, PAJune 11, 2014
As an R1 research institution, Penn State is very demanding of research productivity. Some people are great to work with and others show little appreciation for how you work. Difficult to find a good work-life-balance.
Penn State Pushed the limits
Researcher (Former Employee), State College, PAJune 9, 2014
The Faculty pushed me to apply myself in a skill that I had no previous knowledge about.
Productive environment with work/life balance
Research Associate (Current Employee), University Park, PAJune 6, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: salary could be a bit higher
Penn State usually allows you to adjust your hours so that you can have a wonderful work/life balance. In every laboratory I've worked, my coworkers have been knowledgeable, efficient, and enthusiastic about the projects. I recommend working here!
Doing what I loved
Assistant (Former Employee), Wyomissing, PAJune 4, 2014
Baseball is one of my favorite things in life and this a;llowed me to pursue that passion
fun to work at the fintess center.
Trainer (Former Employee), philadelphia penn state BrandywineJune 4, 2014
I really love my job at fitness center. I love to train people in the gym its my passion. the most amazing part is when I see older people who already graduate from Penn state coming to work out at out fitness center. nice to talk to them and I get more information from them about the college.
Very nice co-workers
ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), University Park, PAJune 4, 2014
- Assisted accountants with daily task
- Reorganized filing room structure
- Prepared materials for weekly meetings
Great Benefits
Student Aid Counselor/Military Certify Official (Current Employee), McKeesport, PAJune 3, 2014
well- known company, friendly atmosphere, many locations, great education benefits.
I loved the atmosphere and my co-workers.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PAMay 31, 2014
Pros: schedule
Cons: short temporary position
My schedule was 9-3, Monday-Friday.
My co-workers were amazing and I enjoyed working with them.
There were a lot of fun projects
Research Associate in College of Medicine (Former Employee), Hershey, PAMay 28, 2014
Penn State supports a lots of opportunities for personal career developments.

About Penn State University

The Penn State College of Education serves approximately 2,800 undergraduate and 1,200 graduate students each year. The College – Read more

Penn State University Salaries