Penn State University

Penn State University Employer Reviews

Great School
Data Scientist (Current Employee), State College PANovember 3, 2013
Great boss and great group I am working at. People are friendly. A lot of talented students.
Great experience
Graduate Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee), State College, PaOctober 30, 2013
Pros: college setting
Cons: temporary position
6-6
Great Management
Great co-workers
Hardest part- early mornings
Best part- BCS level athletics
Not sure what this category means.
Adjunct Professor Continuing Education Department (Current Employee), PAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: i have academic freedom when teaching and when writing my curriculum
Cons: none that i have experienced.
Excellent University to work for. Quality administration, faculty and staff and quality students. Healthy culture and friendly and competent co-workers. I enjoy teaching the students in the continuing education department. I enjoy designing curriculum and the collaboratin I receive from other faculty members on projects is supportive.
Professional and great learning environment
Business Services Department - Intern (Former Employee), Media, PAOctober 18, 2013
While interning at Penn State, a typical day consisted of reading over resumes and setting up phone and on-campus interviews. I would also attend meetings for our search committees. I would coordinate with all of the committee members; when we would meet and when we would conduct interviews. I learned a great deal about FMLA and how to develop a new – more... employee handbook for new staff hires. I also learned a lot about what the HR team is responisble for in a university setting. My supervisor was very good at making sure I was actually learning in the field and gaining useful knowledge to take into the workforce. My co-workers were very helpful and polite when I needed their help. The hardest part of the job was to accept praise from my supervisor. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the current staff and the people who we interviewed. – less
Great place to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee), University PArkOctober 10, 2013
I had a great adviser while I was at Penn State and learned a lot from him.
Loved working for my Alma Mater
Director of Housing (Former Employee), Altoona, PAOctober 9, 2013
Pros: working with students.
Cons: live-in position
Worked with students on a daily basis. Planned special events and programs.
Penn State Math Department Grader
Grader and Proctor (Former Employee), University Park, PAOctober 8, 2013
Work really depends on the grad student or professor you work for. Although, it is nice being able to do work whenever you have free time in the comfort of your own room.
Productive and fun workplace with ability to learn people skills
Work Study Student (Current Employee), Schuylkill Haven, PAOctober 7, 2013
Pros: learning people skills, flexibility in scheduling, supportive supervisory staff
Cons: temporary, financial need-based position
A typical day at work included checking in with my supervisor, entering any work orders submitted by residential students into the electronic database, delivering campus and university correspondence to students living in the residential buildings, in addition to answering general questions of students asking to set appointments with residential life – more... and housing staff. – less
Great University to start your education
Office Clerk (Current Employee), Abington, PAOctober 3, 2013
This university is very high culture and you get to met students and professors from all over the world. you as a student can as well travel and study abroad to different parts of the country.
Great
Help Desk Intern (Current Employee), University Park, PAOctober 2, 2013
The typical work day is pretty relaxed. People there are really nice and you learn a lot about hardware, software and different things about computers, The management and co-workers are really nice. Hardest part of my job is not being paid, the most enjoyable part of the job is gaining the experience.
learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PASeptember 25, 2013
a cool place to learn what research is all about during your undergrad
This is a teaching assisant position
Course Assistant (Current Employee), State College, PASeptember 24, 2013
▪ Teach CT signal processing (and taught Fundamental of Electric Circuits and Digital Signal Processing)
▪ Conduct DSP lab sessions using Simulink based audio signal processing on TI DSK6713
▪ Instruct weekly recitations to review homework problems or the prior knowledge
Environment that helps foster talent and forward thinking
Research Assistant (Former Employee), State College, PASeptember 19, 2013
Collaborated with my professor and his team to model a game theory problem that will be later transferred to cancer cell research.
World Campus attracts amazing talent
Adjunct Professor-Social Sci & Business Writing (Current Employee), World CampusSeptember 18, 2013
Working with students all over the world and with an amazing support team at PSU is wonderful, which is why I have done it every year.
Great place to do research
Research Assistant (Current Employee), University Park, PASeptember 17, 2013
Love to work there, but sometimes has a problem with funding.
Fun place to learn new things
Student Activities Assistant (Former Employee), Student Life OfficeSeptember 6, 2013
As the Student Activities Assistant, Spanish Tutor, and Research Assistant I learned how to be productive and responsible for different tasks.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), University Park, PASeptember 3, 2013
It was a great environment in which to work. The people were all very nice. The equipment was very advanced and cutting-edge. I enjoyed my time there.
Good environment for furthering education, but lacking in oversight
Research Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PAAugust 28, 2013
Pros: compensation, work on your own time as long as tasks got done
Cons: must be self-motivated for relatively mundane tasks, have to focus on very detailed area
My career as a graduate student at Penn State is mostly positive. Having access to renowned professionals in the field is something that can only be found in universities like this. Compensation included waiving of tuition as well as a generous stipend, so there is no room for complaints there. The only problem for me was the lack of oversight on my – more... own work. I felt I was mostly alone and had little guidance throughout my thesis work. – less
Productive and effective work environment
Temporary Graduate/ Research Assistant (Former Employee), Middletown, PAAugust 21, 2013
Pros: schedule
A typical day at work was related to research work. I learned research skills such as ProQuest and SPSS. The management was excellent, they were always available and always was eager to help. The most enjoyable part of this job was learning and assisting with research ventures.
Exciting, educational place to work
Research Technologist (Current Employee), University Park, PAAugust 19, 2013
Pros: great co-workers, good healthcare, dental and vision benefits, great environment to work in
Cons: only contracted for 1 year at a time since my position is funded by research funds, employer not located in the state my husband and i want to live in long term
A typical day at work includes screening potential participants for eligibility to be enrolled in studies, counseling women currently enrolled in Clinical Weight Loss Trial, and managing student workers who work in the office.
Most of my time is spent in counseling sessions with our participants, these appointments consist of reviewing diet records, – more... nutrition education, and collecting data points relevant to study (weight, BMI, blood pressure). We have 125 participants enrolled in the trial as of 8/2013 and are still actively recruiting.
I work at our secondary office location with two Registered Dietitians, my supervisor is our Lab Manager who works in our primary office location. The two RDs and I share all counselling responsibilities equally. We are also responsible for any other communications with our participants including electronic communications. We are also responsible for keeping our schedule.
The hardest part of my job is the challenges brought by each individual participant. I only have 45 minutes to 1 hour in an appointment and so I have to be able to troubleshoot their weight loss challenges quickly and individually to that participant while staying within the parameters of their assigned group set by our Principle Investigators.
The most rewarding and enjoyable part of my job is when our participants are successful in their weight loss journey. Whether it be success in terms of actual pounds lost, inches lost in their waist circumference, or better lab values. – less

About Penn State University

The Penn State College of Education serves approximately 2,800 undergraduate and 1,200 graduate students each year. The College – Read more

Penn State University Photos