Penn State University Employee Reviews in United States

Exhilarating and adventurous job with new experiences daily.
Videographer/Editor (Current Employee) –  State College, PAJuly 6, 2015
Working for Penn State has been an honor, to say the least. Although the hours are demanding and the days are exhausting, I consider myself extremely blessed to be apart of something so meaningful. My official job summary is to film these kids living and learning by day, and editing the caught footage to make a weekly recap video by night. What the job description fails to explain is just how inspiring the everyday experience is. By following these children, their mentors and the head directors of these camps, i'm constantly shown through a lens how motivated the younger generations are to continue learning and making a difference in the world, which is by far the greatest benefit received at this job. It's easy to get caught up in all of life's stressful moments, but thanks to these kids and their enthusiasm to learn, I am reminded that anyone with enough passion and spirit can make a difference in the world - a lesson that most people typically surpass every single day of their lives.
Pros
Free lunches, daily dosage of free inspiration, and interaction with great kids.
Cons
Short breaks, long hours
Productive environment with work/life balance
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAJune 6, 2014
Penn State usually allows you to adjust your hours so that you can have a wonderful work/life balance. In every laboratory I've worked, my coworkers have been knowledgeable, efficient, and enthusiastic about the projects. I recommend working here!
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
salary could be a bit higher
great co-workers
Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 8, 2013
The co-workers at my Chinese program are fantastic
When I first arrive in a new teaching context, whether it is teaching beginning level English to local refugee families, or advanced level ESL writing to freshman international students, the first thing to remember is always learning more about who my students are and what their expected outcome is. Then I would organize materials based on their current understanding.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
low salary
Best job I have ever had
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAOctober 25, 2015
This job enabled me to become very familiar with Engineering/Design/Construction management in the Institutional setting.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Lots of hours
Rewarding program for college students
Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee (Former Employee) –  McKeesport, PANovember 2, 2015
This would be a great program to do if you are a Penn State student at the Greater Allegheny Campus. It is especially beneficial for those who aspire to be educators in the future. And one could gain plenty of community service hours from it as well.
Good place to work, but with limited advancement potential.
Research Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Population Research InstituteJuly 14, 2015
For me, Penn State is a good place to work, with low job stress most of the time. Job advancement is somewhat limited due to the nature of programming work. Co-workers in my department are very friendly and the management style is hands-off.
Enjoyable learning experience!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAOctober 22, 2015
This experience allowed me to learn new systems and apply them to a new company. More about creating awareness and increasing the talk value among members of the community. Provided an outlet for information for the surrounding communities. Learned from my supervisor had a positive experience.
Good coworkers
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAJune 14, 2013
A nice place to stay in one place for a long time. There was little chance for advancement unless you taught courses. I did work with many professors on many different studies so had a great opportunity to explore different research areas.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
salary, advancement opportunities
This was a work study job
CLERICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  AbingtonMay 5, 2015
This job was my first office job. I filed paperwork, scanned, e-mailed professors, completed excel projects, sorted mail, made copies of lessons for professors, directed students, answered the phone, answered questions, and completed any other task I was given. At times I managed the office independently. I had two managers; both of them were ideal. They respected me, and the job that I did. We never had a communication problem, and they trusted me. I liked this job, but I had to leave because the pay was not good enough, and it was only work study.
Pros
Got to know the professors, developed basic office skills, the job I did was respected, and I was not treated like my job wasn't important.
Cons
No room for advancement, and terrible pay.
The best experience I've ever had!
Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  State College, PAJuly 11, 2012
Penn State has been a great employer to work for. The supervisors here are very helpful and understanding. Penn State is family-oriented and helps their employees whenever possible. The people that work here are very friendly and everyone is always very helpful. The compensation is normally more than average and the benefits are good.
Pros
flexible hours
Time of management
Spanish Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJune 10, 2015
While working at Penn State University as a Spanish Tutor I loved that I was able to performed this job at my own time, while gaining money. I learn so many thing that helped me developed my career and the opportunity to work with people which is what I love the most. I didn't have the opportunity to work with others as much as my other job because it was an independent job. I never had any inconvenience because I always had a person who can help me with any questions or concerned that I had.
Pros
I could do it at my own time
Cons
Hours of wok to little
My Adjuct writing teacher position at Penn State University has fulfilled my teaching career because of the challenge of managing the classroom.
ESL Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAJuly 12, 2015
Everyday is a great learning experience. Everytime I teach English 015 (Rhetorical Argument, writing), I adjust the lesson plan and add more exercises to teach basic essay writing. I find it a challenge but very rewarding because of the improvement of the students in their writing.

I have learned how to effectively manage the classroom, including the absenteeism, and assignment due dates, and students' concerns. Students understand the importance of attending the class on-time, and turning in their assignments on-time.

My manager is great because he responds to me immediately concerning my questions.

A typical teaching day includes: A Freewrite, Peer review, new grammar point, essay writing learning point (thesis, transition, etc.), homework assignment, quiz, etc.
Pros
Always a challenge which I enjoy
Cons
Challenge includes students and material which I enjoy
Great University and limited resources
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAJune 24, 2014
Penn State does top notch research and recruits potential that displays that. The program is structured differently for each individual offering an experience second to none
Pros
freedom, security, department
Cons
funding, hours and wage compensation
Good benifits. Flexible hours.
Supervisor, Plumbing & Metal Fabrication (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaApril 12, 2012
Bad place to work. Your are looked down upon when you work hard. Co-workers try to make you look bad so they look good.
Pros
good benifits, good hours
Cons
corrupt work place, always have to cover your back.
Productive and great experience
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 7, 2015
Enjoyed the job as project director. Small office friendly staff and clean, organized atmosphere. Monthly staff meetings provided an opportunity to learn about accomplishments, project needs. Staff meeting held once a month for the purpose of improving communications relations amongst administration and management
Pros
Great health promotion program for girls attending middle school in Southwest Philadelphia.
Cons
Grant funded, not enough time to make a mark
grad student
Graduate research assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, PADecember 20, 2014
typical grad student life, good place to live but grad students do not party
Pros
good city, low crime
Cons
bad compensation, healthcare
n/a
Assistant Athletic Director (Current Employee) –  FCCSeptember 8, 2015
Being a part of a growing Athletics department has allowed me to be creative and resourceful in creating new events on campus related to recruiting, academic development, community outreach, and event management.
Good place to work !
Rhetoric and Composition Instructor (Former Employee) –  Abington, PASeptember 19, 2015
I enjoyed working here, but as an Adjunct your opportunities are extremely limited.
The work environment is ideal as they provide you will all of the resources needed for you to effectively teach in their academic setting.
The students, for the most part, are motivated and conscientious. It does make teaching enjoying.
Very enjoyable atmosphere
Records Specialist, Non-Credit Registration Office (Current Employee) –  Innovation ParkSeptember 19, 2015
The team in my office is very knowledgable and always willing to teach new things. Group effort is important to create a pleasant work area. Cross training makes us all productive in all areas. I enjoy working at Penn State because of the opportunities to advance.
Pros
Flexibility
Very relaxed and friendly environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 16, 2015
Typical day consisted of cleaning dormitory rooms. The drawers, windows, desks, and floors would be cleaned. Other times the hallways would be swept or the stairwells would be cleaned.

The managers were very understanding and did not micromanage the workers. My co-workers were friendly and welcomed me since my first day on the job.

The hardest part of the job was keeping busy since some days there was not a lot of work. Since most of the rooms are unused during the summer after they get cleaned, we had to find other tasks pass the time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all of the different people. There were workers from the age of 21 up to the age of 53. The younger workers were easy to talk to because I could relate to them in regard to life experience. The older workers were also easy to converse with since they mentored me and shared their unique life experiences.

At the end of my time working as a housekeeper, I learned the ins and outs of the dormitory cleaning process. I was also able to see how much work goes into the cleaning process, as one can never expect what the students will leave behind in bathrooms or dorm rooms.
Pros
Paid lunch, exploration of the dorms
Cons
No overtime

4.4