Penn State University

Penn State University Employer Reviews

Fulfilling job teaching students CSI techniques online
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), University Park, PAJune 19, 2013
I have been a teaching assistant for the online course taught by Dr. Robert Shaler and have always enjoyed it. I can grade assignments and schedule meetings with my students at my convenience.
Great Benefits and Flexible
Financial Assistant (Current Employee), University Park, PAJune 19, 2013
Pros: flexible, great benefits
Cons: political in nature
First experience working in higher education is difficult but your co-workers are genuine and eager to help.
Good coworkers
Project Specialist (Former Employee), University Park, PAJune 14, 2013
Pros: coworkers
Cons: salary, advancement opportunities
A nice place to stay in one place for a long time. There was little chance for advancement unless you taught courses. I did work with many professors on many different studies so had a great opportunity to explore different research areas.
Developed Educational Computer Software
Research Associate (Former Employee), State College PAJune 7, 2013
Geologic simulation software
Original design
Published work with John Wiley & Sons
Great Opportunity for Undergraduate Research
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PAMay 30, 2013
Pros: great experience, lots to learn
Cons: no pay
You can learn a lot and get your foot in the door for learning about what research labs are like.
Overall great place to work.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PAMay 23, 2013
The workplace was clean, and friendly. Tasks were assigned as needed, and any information pertaining to a project was given or freely available. Communication was difficult, however weekly meetings were held to improve communication between undergraduate and graduate students.
Great environment to learn and work.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PaMay 21, 2013
Penn State provides a great environment to learn and work. The faculty is extremely helpful and job opportunities are plentiful.
Productive and learning
Grading Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PAMay 17, 2013
It was a part-time job and I learned a lot of stuff related to my field
great co-workers
Language Instructor (Current Employee), University Park, PAMay 8, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: low salary
The co-workers at my Chinese program are fantastic
When I first arrive in a new teaching context, whether it is teaching beginning level English to local refugee families, or advanced level ESL writing to freshman international students, the first thing to remember is always learning more about who my students are and what their expected outcome is. – more... Then I would organize materials based on their current understanding. – less
A good first start
IT Intern (Former Employee), State College, PAMay 7, 2013
Pros: kept me busy, learned to be more organized, i enjoyed helping other people
Cons: too much down time. some days there was little for me to do
My internship took up the entire semester, besides one other class I was taking so it was easy to balance them both. The job was rather simple for the most part. I would keep record of computer inventory, check and fix errors on the classroom computers and such. If something was missing I would report it and then replace the equipment if necessary. – more... I was there to troubleshoot the professor's computers if needed. Typical help desk stuff if you ask me. – less
Rewarding year helping students
Academic Tutor (Former Employee), University Park, PAMay 5, 2013
Pros: one on one interaction
Cons: variable schedule
I tutored ten student athletes in one on one study sessions over the course of the academic year. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students succeed and improve as the semester went on.
Fun work place
Peer Tutor in a variety of courses (Former Employee), Monaca, PAApril 25, 2013
Pros: i can work any hours
Cons: hard to balance classes and tutoring
I love teaching other people in the subjects of math and history. I learned that each person has a different way of learning.
Great place to work.
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Altoona, PAApril 15, 2013
Pros: was able to further my education while i worked.
Learned to work with new and diverse technology from control systems to machining.
Exciting, student-led editorial team
Co-Managing Editor (Current Employee), University Park, PAApril 8, 2013
Pros: great experience in editorial work
Cons: unpaid
Our editorial team received and edits submissions from Writing Tutors at universities throughout the country. I have learned what goes into publishing an issue twice a year and working with an editorial team. I was tasked with assigning jobs to each editor throughout the year to complete, which was challenging at times. I really enjoyed working in a – more... team though. – less
Great environment
Graduate Student (Current Employee), University Park, PAMarch 28, 2013
The Faculty are very engaging and helpful. As a graduate student the work days can be long but having great faculty members and advisors is helpful.
Penn State
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Schuylkill Haven PA. 17965March 12, 2013
Much of the work completed at Penn State was to prepare myself for work in the field of human services.
Course Grader
Course Assistant (Current Employee), State College, PAMarch 2, 2013
Course assistant for EE351-I am in charge of Grading and correcting homework's and assignments
Summer Internships
Lacrosse Camp Counselor /Coach (Former Employee), State College, PAFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: atmosphere, co-workers/coaches
a great way to teach the game of lacrosse to youths ranging from middle school to high school.
Working with Engineers
Staff Assistant VII, Civil & Env. Eng. (Former Employee), University Park, PAFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: teamwork, christmas break (paid), liberal vacation time
Cons: sometimes lack of learning new things
A typical day at Penn State would begin with making sure my superior's calendar was up-to-date. My duties varied each day. I could be arranging an event, or completing a H1 Visa or DS2019 for our international scholars. Arranging travel and reconciling it afterwards could always be a challenged.

I learned all the University's databases.

I enjoyed – more... working in Civil and Enivironmental because management was very supportive.

Hardest part of the job was assisting the international scholars when they were trying to get all their visa items ready.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the people. – less
It was an undergrad research job. Got paid to do grunt work for grad students.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PAFebruary 18, 2013
Great job for a college kid with too much free time over the summer. Earned a little money, made friends within the major, and got to fly to AAS in Austin, TX to present the findings of the research.

About Penn State University

The Penn State College of Education serves approximately 2,800 undergraduate and 1,200 graduate students each year. The College – Read more

Penn State University Photos