Penn State University

Penn State University Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Network Administrator (Former Employee), University Park, PAAugust 28, 2014
Great people I worked with and good resources to help learn new things.
Great experience helping other students with learning material
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), State College, PAAugust 24, 2014
Pros: great experience, taught a lesson
Cons: paid in college credits
Attended class and helped professor grade papers, come up with lessons and how they could relate to the students in the class.

helped students with their assignments and learning material based on communication science, conflict management, and negotiation
highly advanced research technologies operated by top tier staff members in their respective fields
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Gait Analysis LaboratoryAugust 24, 2014
Primary tasks consisted of preparing the participants for the experiment and managing data collection.
Easy, but boring
Food Service Associate, Bruno's (Former Employee), Erie, PAAugust 11, 2014
Pros: adaptable schedule, easy
Cons: boring, crowded
This job was easy, mostly by virtue of tons of people working. They split the work up into many different jobs, and have so many people working that you end up pretty much doing that one job most of the time. You can schedule yourself for a different position every day for variety. They post the shifts online and you can select the ones you want. It is very adaptable for the college student schedule. You sign up for steady shifts during the semester, and can pick up any other one time shift that someone requests off. The manager when I worked there was a micro-manager, but she isn't there anymore. The supervisors are good, and student supervisors change almost every year. If you learn all the positions and show up for your shifts, you stand a good chance of getting promoted to student supervisor.
Good organization. Great team to work with.
Student-Campstone Engineering Project (Former Employee), University Park, PAAugust 7, 2014
Information and instructions where clearly provided. It was an excellent oportunity to learn more about the industry and gain hands-on experience.
Great experience
Intern (Former Employee), Student ActivitiesAugust 4, 2014
Friendly staff, diverse group of students, very flexible with accommodating schedule
Pressure Free Nice and Clean Enviromnent
Web Designer/Developer Internship (Former Employee), State College, PAAugust 2, 2014
My daily tasks were to design websites for two departments and communicate with staff from both departments. I would love to work there, but too bad, they had no positions open. The management was very professional, I had no problems with any of the staff. Very friendly and helpful people. The toughest part was that 8 hours of inside work. The most enjoyable part was that I was doing what I loved to do.
Fun working experience!
Food Service (Former Employee), North Food DistrictAugust 2, 2014
Pros: discounted food, managers were always praising employees for their hard work, managers were very approachable and caring
Cons: no breaks for students, large amounts of food were composted every shift (very sad)
Working at PSU was my first time working in food service. For my first time, it was a great working experience. Both my managers and co-workers were fun, young-hearted, and very interpersonal. I enjoyed learning things about food service and the preparation.
Penn State showcases one of the highest numbers of students in the world. It's a reputable school with many resources, assisting student advancement.
Effective Speech Instructor (Former Employee), Lower Burrell, PAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: my alma mater, pay, and assistance from management.
Cons: n/a.
Management was straight-forward with information and likeable. They assisted with helping me meet and exceed student learning outcomes. A graduate of the school, I received a prestigious teaching award and was credited with helping the communications department stand out on the campus.
Excellent research opportunities, with some ups and downs
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee), University Park, PAJuly 22, 2014
Working at a research lab in a large university like Penn State will vary considerably both between and within departments. Generally speaking I have had good experiences with administrators and with my direct supervisor and co-workers here. However, I do not find my department generally friendly and welcoming. It has a competitive atmosphere, rather than a cooperative spirit.
fun learning experience
Teaching Assistant (Race, Crime, and Justice) (Former Employee), State College, PAJuly 16, 2014
I was a teaching assistant for the Race, Crime, and Justice class at Penn State. I did this for two semesters in a row and I very much enjoyed it. I learned how to teach college students in large classroom settings and at times it could be very difficult. The topics we talked about in class were very interesting and I feel that I did a good job at helping the students further their education.
Enjoyed the experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), University Park, PAJuly 15, 2014
Working at Penn State was a great experience, learning about propulsion and RF Applications for propulsion and communication.
Great University
Teaching Assistant, Department of Sociology (Former Employee), University Park, PAJuly 14, 2014
Great Faculty and staff at this University. Would recommend it to any prospective student out of high school.
Great University and limited resources
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, PAJune 24, 2014
Pros: freedom, security, department
Cons: funding, hours and wage compensation
Penn State does top notch research and recruits potential that displays that. The program is structured differently for each individual offering an experience second to none
Relaxing, enjoyable work environment with friendly coworkers
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Farm Operations, University ParkJune 23, 2014
Pros: friendly work environment, snack bar, low stress
Cons: no air conditioning, had to bring own lunches
A pleasant work environment in which I shared an office with the professor I worked with.

Fairly quiet workplace in which I could focus on my work without interruption.

My coworkers were friendly and polite, and managers were the same.

I was able to learn several new programs, and experiment with several programs I specifically asked to use.

Breaks were short but reasonable, and lunch was the standard 30 minutes. A lunch room was provided, but lunches were not free.

A snack bar was present with snacks available for sale at a low price.

The hardest part of the job was working in the heat of the summer, as there was no air conditioning in the office.
Facility Management
Recreation Facility Supervisor-The White Building (Current Employee), University Park, PAJune 22, 2014
I have a wonderful experience learning about facility management and event operations with Penn State Athletics.
Penn State University
Res Com Technician (Current Employee), Reading, PAJune 18, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no benefits, limited hours
-dealing with customers and handling what their issues are.
-I have continued to learn how to deal with many types of people along with the devices they bring to the table.
-I have had to instruct other employees concerning customers and any questions the other students would have.
-all of my co-workers were very easy to get along with.
-the hardest part of this job was to continually learn how to interact when new problems would arise. But when overcome would be very rewarding.
-interacting with different people everyday, and dealing with a multitude of equipment.
Nice quite places for Tutoring
Teaching Assistent (Former Employee), Dunmore, PAJune 16, 2014
Had to meet with many students, which helped to understand the weak points that most of the students have.
Research Productive University, Must be self-driven
Post Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), State College, PAJune 11, 2014
As an R1 research institution, Penn State is very demanding of research productivity. Some people are great to work with and others show little appreciation for how you work. Difficult to find a good work-life-balance.
Penn State Pushed the limits
Researcher (Former Employee), State College, PAJune 9, 2014
The Faculty pushed me to apply myself in a skill that I had no previous knowledge about.