Penn Station Employee Reviews

Easily learn customer service
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILJune 11, 2016
A typical day at work is hard to describe. The business is dependent on the day, upcoming holidays, weather, and other environmental effects. The co-workers are amazing. It is almost impossible to be hated at work. If you aren't slow or terrible at your job, you will be greeted with kindness. The hardest part of the job is the work. Obviously that makes sense, but for the pay you receive, the work is not worth it. The most enjoyable part would probably be eating the excellent food there, or leaving at the end of the night.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
customers are rude, treated lesser than by
Real easy work , but when we were busy we were busy
Cleaning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 22, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of giving your all to the customers. Customers come first that's why we all were there. Hardest part of the job was being positive during a bad day. I love meeting new customers. The biggest thing I learned was the manager jobs. They showed me how to assist them with deposits and etc.
Pros
slow in evenings, 50% off food
Cons
not everyone works as hard as you think.
Fun and fast-paced workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Grandview, OHMay 31, 2016
I learned so many work related skills at Penn Station. I've worked here longer than any other job and I fell in love with it. The co-worker and customers are very friendly and the supervisors are fair. Since the food was freshly prepared everyday, I would say the most difficult part of the job was cleaning because it was very detailed and specific. Usually from mornings til a little past 3 pm it would be busy because of the lunch rush.
Pros
Discount food
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
productive fun place to work
Server/bartender (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIAugust 25, 2016
Very busy but fun. I learned hard work pays off. Management didn't always communicate well, but always supportive. Co-workers in a clique, but also supportive. the hardest part was competing for money and drunk people. The most enjoyable was all the money and fun we had.
Pros
free food, finacial help and support
Cons
staying open late, making people leave
Productive and fun workplace.
Shift Leader Springdale (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 20, 2016
I worked for Penn Station for 22 years and really enjoyed the employees there. I started a crew member and then was promoted to Asst. Manager at the one in Richwood,KY.
Pros
Free lunch or dinner, co workers are nice, customers are nice as well
Cons
No healthcare, dental, or vision benefits available for employees
Good place for someone Beginning is Food Service.
Crew Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cold Springs, KYAugust 5, 2015
This is a good place to work, Needs more benefits, And Advancements

Customer service and Food service

Slower paced then Fast Food but excellent customer service.

Working with only 2 people and getting a high volume sales hour is the hardest thing at times.
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
needs benifits and advancement
Do not work here. Run away
Crew (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ky and Huntington, wvJanuary 31, 2015
I don't enjoy speaking ill of past employers, but this was the worst place I've ever worked in terms of everything. It's a family owned business, and the only way to advance your career is to be related to the owner. Management will belittle you, talk bad about you and sometimes down right lie about you if it gets them what they want.
They will not fire people, they will cut hours to 6 hours a week divided over 6 days... that's right 1 day off a week and instead of giving raises, they will treat you worse than dirt so that they can hire a new person at minimum wage after they've driven you to quit (to avoid paying unemployment) had a very big double standard on how to deal with discipline. They hire pill heads :-/

Perks include a few people with amazing personalities...
Pros
free lunch for working 8+ hours or 50% off other times
Cons
no breaks unless you work over 9 hours, no raises, no promotions, verbal abuse
Productive work place
Manger (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 5, 2015
My typical day at work is taking care of customers and employes. I over looked employes job performs. I learned many things from this job such as patience and time management. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to the customers and making them happy.
Pros
Environment
Cons
No benefits
Okay of a job
COOK/CASHIER/ORDER TAKER (Current Employee) –  Garfield Heights, OHAugust 25, 2015
Boss never gives out raises, people leave an come back an end up make as much a Co_leader, good job for kids that are in school and just need some spare money, job is easy nothing hard about it.
honojno o ifsjgivopcms idniomnocnoc doc
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 4, 2016
the best part of this job was servicing the customers and getting of work. I did not enjoy my time spent working there past training. very unstable management.
Pros
free food

Want to know more about Penn Station?

Ask a question
effecient
Cash register, Cook/sandwich maker (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 12, 2016
Plenty of work to be done depending on location. Work environment wasn't always the best. Always had plenty of hours to work.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break
just a job
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 5, 2016
the manager didn't know how to do his job he was always late argued with customers an flirted with employees an customers lied to make himself look better just the worst job experience ever.
Pros
free lounch
Restaurant
Customer Service Crew Member & Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  London, KYJune 24, 2016
I learned the first steps of management and the essentials of customer service.
Hardest part was dealing with irate customers
loved this job
cashier/ grill cook (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVMarch 5, 2016
when I got to work I would brew teas cut lemons, make sure all patio doors was unlocked, turn tvs on, and start waiting on my tables, then at the end of the shift make sure all the silverware was rolled and all my tables was stocked on the caddies, and wiped down ready for the next shift.
Pros
loved meeting new people and learning where they was from.
Cons
it was just a temp job and they ended up shutting down
Casual environment that's not always professional
Cashier/ Shift Worker (Former Employee) –  Bexley, OHJanuary 19, 2015
I felt like it was more of a "hangout with your buddies" than a professional, work environment. I dealt with difficult customers with respect and dealt with situations to the best of my ability/knowledge. The most challenging thing for me, would have to be the lack of communication between coworkers and managers. I enjoyed having music playing in the background and talking with the "regular" customers! I learned how to be on my feet and handle any sort of stressful situation that may arise.
Pros
after 1 year, you get a free 6" sub every shift
Cons
no benefits
Fun environment to work in
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 7, 2012
Started washing dishes the Summer before my Junior year of high school, quickly worked my way into Shift Leader within a year, and Assistant Manager with some General Manager responsibilities within the next two years. Job security was very high, and although the manager could micro-manage at times, he proved to be a capable leader who was willing to work around my hectic schedule. A very good job to have during school years, and glad that I worked there. Compensation was not as high as could have been however.
Pros
flexible hours, worked with friends, proximity to home.
Cons
lack of pay and benefits, manager over-bearing at times.
Fantastic crew and fun customers
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 25, 2016
A typical day at work can be very adventurous, many people come in with different personalities and different stories. It was exciting to work with a great team and get to know great people.
ugh no dont work here
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYDecember 11, 2015
typical fast food life. make sandwiches and watch your life dwindle away as the clock ticks. rude customers. young management.
Pros
nothing
Cons
poor pay; no advancement;
Great place to work, little opportunity for advancement, and not the most productive management team.
Crew (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INMarch 17, 2014
Everything about this position was very natural and easy for me. The company wanted very nice employees that would treat the customers with respect and know them on a personal level and know them by name. I love interacting with guests and making sure they leave happy with their dining experience.
Pros
great customers, fast pace working enviornment
Cons
health care, advancement/salary
good place to work for if you have good customers service
Store Manager/Assistant Manager/Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Cold Spring, KYMarch 12, 2013
I show up every morning about 30 minutes before I have to be there. I start all the morning prep work for lunch. Then clean up and prep again for dinner. I've learned how to work with people and be a peoples person. As the manager I got along with all of my employees. The most enjoyable part of that job was being able to reenact with the customers. However to me wasn't nothing hard about that job.
Pros
i got free lunch and my managers did too
Cons
i didnt take much breakes and there ain't any benefits at all.

2.8