PennDOT Employee Reviews

Weak Union
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAOctober 25, 2016
PennDOT employees suffer from being underpaid, distrust amongst supposedly cooperative units, a perpetually failing budget that sees more of it lining police pockets, inept leadership, and a weak union.
Internship of the summer
data base management (Former Employee) –  Oil City, PAOctober 24, 2016
I learned many new things about database work as well as made many new friendships. I can take the skills I learned and apply them in future positions.
Pros
Friends, Hours, Benefits, Salaries
Cons
Stuck in a car all day
Great experience
Inspected guard rails, and shoulders of roads (Former Employee) –  Oil City, PA 16301August 21, 2016
Penn Dot was my first real physical job, and I learned a lot from it as well as my way around all the counties surrounding us as that was my main job.
Pros
The experience
Cons
driving all day long
Good place to work for the most part
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 11, 2016
I enjoy my job. I am busy throughout the day and it goes by fast. I have learned a lot of different skills that will be helpful in advancing. I work in a diverse group which I like because you get to know different people.
very productive and friendly work place
winter maintenance CDL driver (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PAJune 25, 2016
enjoyed working the winter shifts, maintained roads during snow storms. Management was very helpful and made the job easier. Co-workers were always available to answer any questions and to help you in any way they could
Penndot get the job done.
Clerk 2/Clerk 3 (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 30, 2016
1.Fast pace. 2.How to multi tact. 3.Very productive. 4.Team workers. 5.Not enough time in the day. 6. My productivity.
Pros
Excellent retirement package.
Cons
Not enough time.
Good comany and good experience
Summer Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Allentwon, PAMay 11, 2016
Good company, the internship was great, I learned a new engineering terms especially in design department. the stamp program was very good too because I learned how to do inspections for every state road.
challenging but doable
PennDot Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Media, PAMay 2, 2016
Every day I look forward to go to work because there's something new to learn everyday. I love working with the team because of the way they have made me feel. The had part is working under the sun.
good overall work place
Shop/Road Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 1, 2016
shop was a little out dated but management was always trying to improve. operators need massive training but keeps mechanics busy. snow removal is always a bad thing no matter where you work in my opinion
Pros
short days
Cons
cant think of any
Good place to work.
Computer Operator II (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 25, 2016
Great people, easy job.Printing all driver related materials for the entire state of PA. Great office environment. Good benefits.
Pros
Office environment.
Cons
Old equipment.
Winter maintence crew
Temp Winter Operator (Former Employee) –  Kittanning, PAJanuary 18, 2016
Loved operating the equipment and driving trucks. I didn't like have to look busy or sitting around waiting for work.I like to keep busy and come home feeling accomplished.
Positive Work Environment
Laborer/Flagger (College Program) (Former Employee) –  Shickshinny, PAJanuary 11, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Penndot, It was a positive environment and I got a chance to work with great co-workers and very positive Foreman. Each day was a challenge from setting up safety zones, to scheduling asphalt trucks and to complete the Foreman's tasks.
Pros
Allows long lunch breaks.
Cons
Can be more safe
excellent government job
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tunkhannock, PAOctober 14, 2015
beautiful union government job. if you don't feel like working than just cry about your color or religion and you don't have to do anything but get paid
Pros
everything
Cons
little boring because nobody works there. just sit around and smoke cigarettes
Typical day at work
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Indiana, PASeptember 28, 2015
We would meet at the stockpile at 7am. We would drive to the work site and set up road work signs. I was a flagger. Very supportive management.
Long hours, Medium compensation,
Transportation Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bridgeville, PAJuly 9, 2015
Would rather decline giving a detailed company review. I would however like to say there is good and bad in all jobs. The same goes with the employees of any workplace. Shifts change on short notice, with no forgiveness Rarely know what time your getting off.
Pros
Some compensation for mileage, decent heath care, holiday, annual, sick and personal days
Cons
Jobs are understaffed therefore depending on operations possibility of no breaks or lunches
my experience at Penn Dot
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Kittanning, PAJune 9, 2015
Working for PennDot was a great way for me to experience the industrial workforce. I learned how to Fabricate, operate power tools, air tools, a drill press, and a ban saw. My title was a welder/fabricator, my main job was to repair any truck parts dealing with metal, make different types of brackets each of their own purpose, and fix truck plows. I operated a grinder, set of torches, and a MIG welder everyday. I made my own blueprints as a reminder of how to make each bracket i was told to make. My co-workers were great to work with, we got things done smoothly and done on time. Arguing and complaining wasn't an issue for me while working at PennDot. The most enjoyable part of working at PennDot was being able to learn how to operate all the equipment so I could have more experience and knowledge for my other future jobs.
Pros
Lunch break, benefits
Excellent employer. Provided opportunity for advancement
DISTRICT MAINTENANCE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAApril 29, 2015
I worked for Penndot for 26 years. I worked as a manager for most of my career. Great benefits and job security. The job was very stressful at times.
Productive and fun workplace
Flagman (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PAMarch 27, 2015
Typical day was flagging where a learned a lot about traffic signage and good communication with other flaggers, foreman, and workers within the work zone. Everybody here worked as a team which made it a great place to work for.
First decent-paying job.
Student Summer Employment - Highway (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAMarch 19, 2015
First job that I worked a full 40 hours a week. The people I worked with were friendly and easy going. The work wasn't that hard, just got hot standing out in the sun.
Concrete every day
Engineering, Science and Technology Intern (ESTI) (Former Employee) –  Vandergrift, PAMarch 10, 2015
The roadway was originally all concrete that hadn't been replaced for years so the majority of the work involved taking out the old, busted concrete and replacing it. The 4-lane road stretched only a mile, but almost everyday had approximately 25-30 cubic yards of concrete placed into patches. I enjoyed witnessing the testing, placement and finishing of concrete for most of the summer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PennDOT. Our community is ready to answer.