PennDOT Employee Reviews

not a good place to work for qualifying people
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAOctober 4, 2017
Extremely poor management, harassments and discrimination, abusing employees and corruption.
Due to the corruption only disqualify employees get promoted and qualifying employees get crushed and forced to resign.
Good benefits, job security, safety and unpredictable work hours
Transportation Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PASeptember 21, 2017
Typical day at work 7:00am to 3:30pm w/ half hour lunch.
Learned about construction, safety and communication.
Management lack of communication.
Hardest part of the job - lacked communication from management for day to day operations and also transitioning OFTEN from day shift to night shift.
Most enjoyable - friendships created over year of employment with co-workers and other inspectors.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
overated
Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Rochester, PASeptember 20, 2017
its not a terrible job its usually easy and paid time off and benefits are decent. You are usually doing light labor or driving. But the pay is just too low to live on and it will take many years until you work your way up.
Pros
easy steady shift benifits
Cons
managment, lack off advanement and pay
Ok
Driver/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 18, 2017
Good job home daily seniority based many terminals. Good equipment great vacation and sick time good health benefits offer safety classes and credit union
Pros
Pension
Cons
Pay
Great job
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Milford, PASeptember 12, 2017
Wonderful place to work with great pay and benifits, would recommend to any one looking to get into penndot to find a temp spot and work your way up from there
relaxed and positive place
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 10, 2017
Arrive get things started with a complete conversation on what the day is planned, learned to be a better driver and to, to a better and thorough pre-trip inspection. Management was great and a good place to work.
Ok
A Operator (Former Employee) –  Beaver, PAAugust 31, 2017
None ok boring simple good bad sometimes dirty driving sitting standing a lot operators a lot of different equipment most of time getting wet a lot low pay
Wonderful place to work
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAAugust 28, 2017
I was only a seasonal employee but it was my favorite job ever. Loved the atmosphere and employees. I felt like I was accepted and actually belonged there.
what i seen
Worker (Former Employee) –  Warren County, PAAugust 15, 2017
I drove a dump truck with a plow and sand spreader during the winter time. loaded the truck during my shift. flagged during days we didn't need to plow. patched pot holes and cleaned sand off the bridges.
Pros
wasnt to bad
Cons
people couldnt learn the new way of training
Not stressful
Clerk Typist II (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 23, 2017
Good place to work, offers overtime during the winter. They are lenient with days off, you can work at your own pace, as long as you get the required work done.
Balanced
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Beaver, PAJuly 6, 2017
Friendly environment, medium paced and relaxed. highly skilled workers in all fields. Chances to advance and improve. CDL program and welding program.
Penndot Employees
Clerical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 21, 2017
My experience with Penndot was great! unfortunately I had to leave unexpected due to unforeseen circumstances. Overall I do recommend Penndot for anyone that is searching to become a state employee
Pros
free parking spaces
Cons
no where to really go for lunch
Very nice people
Flagger/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, PAJune 9, 2017
I worked for PennDot every summer while I attended college. I looked forward to getting to go back everywhere because all of the employees were very nice people.
Great summer internship
STAMPP Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  Dunmore, PAJune 9, 2017
Working a summer as a STAMPP intern is a great opportunity to learn as well as explore the local area. The full-time employees are very friendly. You also get to meet a lot of other engineers across broad disciplines.
Cons
Working in the rain
Relaxed
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Troy, PAJune 4, 2017
working at penn dot was a good experience. decent pay and very little hours worked. the management was good and its a very relaxed work environment to work in
The men in Garage were great. Management was great.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chester County, PAJune 3, 2017
I ran the lube truck mostly. All snow storms. Welded and fabricated there too. Serviced and PM'ed too. They had great schools. Great vacation. But the pay wasn't so good. I averaged 73 hours a week. They could give you overtime. But the way the states contract was written. Raises were like every 4 years.
Great Place to Develop Skills
Intern (Former Employee) –  PAMay 17, 2017
I participated in the Summer Internship program and it was awesome learning from all the experienced people there. The people were wonderful to work with and the days went by fast.
Great co-op opportunity
Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  McConnellsburg, PAMay 8, 2017
I did my jr and sr year co-op in high school at PennDOT and loved it. The atmosphere and fast paced environment was a good fit for me. If I did not continue my education in college, I would have stayed working with the company.
Road maintenance
TeoA (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAApril 24, 2017
Do a variety of work from flagging, laboring, operating equipment and plowing snow. Enjoy the work but gotta be able to work in all weather conditions
Gained a lot of experience
Engineering, Scientific and Technical Intern (Current Employee) –  Indiana, PAFebruary 5, 2017
Gained a lot of experience inspecting. Was on several jobs that included span bridges, box culverts, drainage, and roadway. Would like to expand my experience by working with wastewater, structures, and design.