Pennsylvania Counseling Services

Pennsylvania Counseling Services United States Employee Reviews

I can make a difference
administrative support (Current Employee), Lebanon, PAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: not boring
Cons: fast paced sometimes
The values of this company fit me. If you care about making a difference in this world and want to use your skills, choose a company that has the right focus. This one does. Make every day matter. I see my work as not about myself - it's about others. The paycheck and benefits are fine. My job feels secure. There are internal job postings for other positions. It's a good place to be.
Horrible place to work for!
Patient Registration (Former Employee), Lebanon, PaMarch 1, 2015
Pros: casual work attire (you could pretty much come to work in your pj's
Cons: felt like i was working for fidel castro
So I barely made it working there a month and a half. I was given a three day training and left to be on my own. If I asked questions about a certain topic I was unsure about I was looked down upon because I was "expected" to know everything. Funny thing is that with a job like this where the expectation and the very delicate privacy policies, you would expect more on the job training. I started as a part time employee and within 3 days was promoted to full time because they felt I was picking up on things rather quickly. When I started to ask for clarification about certain things it was taken as me being unsure about my job. You aren't allowed to speak to your coworkers while on the job. If there are no calls coming in, the only thing you are allowed to do is listen to music on your phone. They do give you side work but the majority of the time I was done with it early so had nothing to do. You get a 20 min paid break. There are cameras everywhere. I felt like I was in High School again. And even in High School, I felt like the teachers had a little more confidence in me.
It's a Treadmill
Outpatient Therapist (Former Employee), Lancaster, PADecember 16, 2014
Pros: you'll get a variety of clinical experiences.
Cons: the pace is unsustainable.
This is a good place to work if you don't need to work or it's a second family income. If you're single, forget it. You won't be able to make enough money unless you want to take on two roommates or live with your parents.

Therapist contracts are Base Pay + FFS. You'll get a small base salary that changes quarterly, based on your previous quarter's productivity level. In order to make their "estimated income" for a liveable wage, you will have to see 30-35 clients per week. That means scheduling upwards of 45 clients per week (to account for cancellations/no-shows). It's exhausting and you won't have a life outside of the office.

Management is corporate, cut-throat and ultra-conservative. It's a privately-owned, for-profit organization. You'll definitely feel replaceable. Lots of focus on productivity, oversight, compliance and legal liability. (More than other organizations.) Your productivity is measured in "units", not clients, consumers or people. The general atmosphere is dehumanizing.

However, if you want to jump head first into the fire and be exposed to every conceivable type of client and diagnosis, this is the place to do it. Your clinical skills will be honed. Just don't plan on operating at that pace for long. You'll burn out. Use it as a stepping stone in your career.
good people
Family Based Mental Health Worker (Former Employee), carlisle paNovember 10, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: have to drive your own vehicle, a lot.
I did not feel supported by management.
Most of the hours are evening hours.
Enjoyed the experience
Family Based Therapist (Former Employee), Lancaster, PAApril 22, 2014
I enjoyed my time at this company but felt that the expected 65 hour work week was too much for my well rounded life style. I also saw that there was no room for advancement without obtaining a masters degree. I learned a lot about clinical counseling during my time but due to my life outside work I felt a 40 hour per week job would better fit my needs. Everyone I worked with was very nice and I enjoyed the population of people on my case load.
Discover Your Greatness
Clinical Consultant (Current Employee), Harrisburg, PAFebruary 1, 2014
There is never a dull moment at PCS. In my current position every day is similar in process but the content of the day is varied. My supervisors are very supportive and provide an atmosphere that you are not on your own with difficult situations. Currently the hardest part of my job is continual on-call support with crisis situations. The most enjoyable part of my job is to help the therapists help the families they work with and see progress happen in very stressful and difficult situations.
Exhausting but, rewarding job
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee), Lebanon, PAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: wasn't sitting behind a desk all day
Cons: very little advancement potential
The kids were great to work with but, the schedule was crazy without much room for flexibility or advancement
For a counseling service, very little regard for employees.
Staff Support (Former Employee), Lebanon, PAOctober 19, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: very little regard for employees. numbers driven.
What began as a very good job quickly disintegrated to an incredibly stressful work environment that included management that openly derides employees when they are not within earshot, to obvious overloading of some employees so they could not reach management goals which resulted in employee layoff or resignation. Employees are encouraged to have no one-on-one contact while "on the clock". This was the most stressful job I have ever had. I eventually left on doctor's orders, due to stress related issues that never existed before taking this job.
would not reccommend unless you are desperate
Psychiatric Support Secretary (Former Employee), Gettysburg, PAMay 23, 2013
Pros: casual work attire (jeans)
Cons: low wages --your lunch is a 20 min paid break -lack of trust in employees - no support by management
Therapist are friendly and easy to work with and do act as a team.

Administrator is insecure and unsure of herself. She is non supportive and only covers her own butt -- meaning she will throw you under the buss to save herself. She will not go to bat for you at all. The environment is not a team as they promote -- but rather everyman for himself. the administrator is the issue in this situation and sets the tone.

there is a small training period -- training is minimal at best. after that when you make a mistake .....there is 0 tolerance and you get wrote up. Administrator just got that job ---so she is learning herself and overwhelmed. during training - she doesn't tell you items that you need to know ( and then acts as if she did) (or doesn't share info as a result of her power trip-)

I have gone to college (on deans list) - so I am educated ---this is not supported in anyway by the administrator -- rather taken as a threat to her and her unsecurity.

the company is super ridiculous about everything --they make rules up as they go along and then constantly change things. an example would be if you get sick at work --its OFF THE CLOCK -- on your own time -- not theirs. you do not get a lunch break ...except a 20 minute paid break. I had gotten an emergency call from my sons school and was told that call would be my lunch. No tolerance for having any kind of personal life.

there is a constant turn over in employees due to the strict rules and un-cohesive environment. They have an extreme mis-trust of employees. Cameras everywhere (3 in a small office alone) -- every move you make is watched and critiqued.

They are looking for perfection and believe everyone is replaceable. For a 10 dollar an hour they are unreasonable with their expectations -- which explains the constant turn over in employees.

overall this rates as one of the WORST jobs I have ever had. I do not recommend to anyone unless you are in desperate need.
learned what I don not think works.
Therapist (Former Employee), Lebanon, PAJanuary 26, 2013
Pros: skill development
Cons: system broken
PCS was an counseling service that began to meet the needs of people. The insurance constraint made doing the work more about paper then people. It was draining to think that advancement was doing more...getting more volume, not creating strong community in which people heal and thrive. However...I love people and get juiced to see movement and people become alive from the inside out.
Just do not think the traditional 45 minutes in the seat creates enough heat for the changes to happen.
Great place to work!
Multisystemic Therapist (MST) (Current Employee), Harrisburg, PAJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: helping families
Cons: length of time we have to work with a family is limited
A typical day at work is working with families, schools, and the community to help change the behavior of a troubled youth. Management and co-workers make it a comfortable and rewarding place to work. My job offers flexible hours which I enjoy. I have learned about different cultures and backgrounds of individuals and families. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing positive change in people. The hardest part is getting them to try to do things differently.
Love working to help people
Secretary (Former Employee), Gettysburg, PADecember 27, 2012
Pros: working with people
Cons: no breaks
I love being able to help people. They taught me a lot about the non profit business.
nice work environment
Menthal Health Professional (Former Employee), Lancaster, PASeptember 6, 2012
Pros: good work enviornment
Cons: very political
meet with supervisor, visit families, write progress notes, make phone call for refferral to community based agencies.