Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union Employee Reviews

Intern Opportunity
e-Center Intern (Former Employee) –  Lock Haven, PASeptember 18, 2017
e-Center intern has opportunity to get a introduction into the financial sector and gets you out of your comfort zone when attempting to obtain new members.
Fun environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarion, PAJune 19, 2017
Training of incoming interns and assistant managers

Generation of promotional ideas and materials to attract accounts and cross-sell services

Resolution of client issues and application maintenance/validation
Pros
Assisting with headquarters decisions
Cons
Only college students can work on campuses
Great place to learn and grow
PSECU ASSISTANT MANAGER / INTERN (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, PAFebruary 10, 2017
I appreciated having this job during college and enjoyed my coworkers and manager throughout my time there. I loved communicating with university organizations and promoting PSECU day to day.
Okay Job Great Benefit package
MSR (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 2, 2016
This company is okay to work for to gain banking experience to further your career. The benefits & work/life balance are outstanding. To progress jobs within the union is fairly easy, but the pay for union jobs caps out at about 40k.

Unfortunately, to progress your career outside the union into what PSECU calls "professional" level is challenging. It is very political and networking is a key factor. Especially if you are a white male. If you are a cute female however you will have no problem advancing your career within the credit union.
Benefits
Cons
No oppertonity for advancement
Overall Great Company to work for
Assistant Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 23, 2015
At PSECU, the manager and my other co-worker were great. I learn a lot about banking and why this was such a great bank. I would talk to people three days a week about why PSCEU is such a great banking institution. I got to experience marketing and working with Microsoft Office on a daily basis. The hard part about the job was the presentations and the best part was just talking to people about something all college students should have, a great credit union.
Pros
Talking to people, Learn alot
Cons
Presentations
Great For Puppets
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 7, 2015
On the surface, the company has a lot of great things going for it.

Salaries are excellent and competitive, benefits are some of the best, good schedule, easily earned paid time off, and generous holiday and vacation time are fantastic as well. Member (customer) focused, and arguably some of the best financial products for consumers.

But as iterated by others here and I will concur -

1. The atmosphere is tense.

2. Advancement opportunities are usually slim to none unless you are moving between departments (usually in completely different fields/disciplines) and abandoning your skill set.

3. Very chauvinistic department heads - this applies to BOTH sides of the gender card, among other things that cause a trickle-down effect - making departments isolate themselves and further the internal conflicts - not to mention biased hiring, reassigning of positions, promotion of staff and the inability to get simple tasks completed cross-department without upper management having to step in.

4. Micromanaging. Micromanaging. Micromanaging. Don't expect to get anything done on your own accord - or be recognized. Either your personal efforts will be ignored, OR ownership will be taken by your superior to their own benefit. If you plan to have positive reviews from your superiors, do exactly what you are told to do. Not a bad wrap really, if you don't mind not having a voice or others stealing/trampling on your work.

5. Last but not least - very conservative. While good for a financial institution to some degree, it has caused the business to fall behind the 8-ball, when
  more... it had once been an industry leader - particularly in the area of technology. This adds to the increasingly difficult ability to get. things. done.

I have no doubt many of the 600+ employees are great people. Good coworkers. Many who probably still share the same sentiments and commiserate.

There are many great things to say about the company as a whole. Really. But it goes to show that you can earn great money, have great benefits and vacation time, work for a very customer focused business - and the work environment/leadership can still manage to ruin it all.
Pros
Good Salaries, Great benefits, Customer Focused
Cons
Atmosphere, Chauvinism, Micromanagement
Conservative Management team
Information Technology (Current Employee) –  HarrisburgJuly 17, 2015
Brought the organization through the recession while maintaining employee morale value to members

flexible schedule

great co-workers

most enjoyable part of job is the variety of tasks we are exposed to
benefits
Cons
conservative to the point of moving too slow
Great Company to work for!
Collection Analyst (Current Employee) –  State College, PAJune 5, 2014
I worked in the call center and did not like the fact that everything that we did was questioned and we were micro-managed. I do like the company, they are great!
Workplace
Real Estate Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 24, 2014
The most enjoyable part was having a different challange when I worked in the RE Servicing department.
Pros
Dress down every day
Cons
Not a great environment
One of the best Internships available
Assistant Manager Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, PAAugust 7, 2013
Working in an office setting was a new field for me. I loved my manager and my co-workers. I went through vigorous training through PSECU, delivered speeches and seminars to college students, set up information tables at college events, interacted with the campus community on a daily basis, and advertised the services of PSECU in a positive manner. In the short 4 semesters I was employed by PSECU, I truly enjoyed the experience I had.
Pros
Terrific training programs, many opportunitites for advancement
Great Entry Level Job!
Consumer Loan Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  State College, PAOctober 31, 2012
PSECU provided me with the knowledge and skills needed to begin my career. They have a strong benefit package and are very easy to work with. My manager and coworkers are all great to work with. This is a great place to get your career started!
Pros
great benefits, easy to work with
Cons
call center job