Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission Employee Reviews in United States

Insulting and subjugating
Toll Collector/Union Steward (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAMay 13, 2016
Although I can't complain about any job considering there are many people who aren't working; I can say that the autonomy of the Turnpike Commission has allowed it to basically run itself, which in turn, allows inexperienced people to be put in positions that under normal circumstances (i.e a privately owned companies) wouldn't be awarded to them. Promotions and placement isn't based on merit, acumen or experience. It's based on political affiliations and knowing certain people - which has caused a climate that fosters biased decisions and unethical behavior amongst the working force. There is an extreme lack of streamlining important information and strategic planning which affects the workers.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
Management is extremely inexperienced, Information and important data is circuitous as opposed to streamlined
My experience at the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commision
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  Bristol, PAJanuary 25, 2013
A typical day at work included handling money from drivers, giving out directions and be friendly to drivers. I learned how to nicer to people. Management was pretty good and helpful, same with the co-workers. The hardest part of the job was trying to help drivers get to places I have never heard of before. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people.
Pros
helping people, getting paid
Cons
long hours and work days
Easy job with ok benefits but bad management
Equipment Operator, Inventory (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, PAOctober 16, 2012
Not hard work. Must be politically connected to work there
or advance. Too much micro managing by bosses that need
to prove they are the boss. Lots of employees who are bums
and do nothing all day and its expected that the few of us that
are good at our job are supposed to make up for the bums lack
of work output. Your job is only secure if your politically
connected and the union (Teamsters local 77) is worthless and
is in the turnpikes pocket and does not stand behind the
hard working employees but protects the politically connected
bums.
Pros
easy work. good job for slackers to hide. good pay
Cons
management, bums
Executive Secretary/Administrative Assistant
Executive Director Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 10, 2013
Executive Secretary to the Executive Director managing daily schedule.
Pros
great people
Pennsylvania Turnpike Commision
Temporary Intern/ Clerical Work (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAMay 29, 2014
The work load was easy, very, very, easy, but the people down in those cubicles that work downstairs are miserable people. They gossip, pick, and are rude to new people, especially if they are non-European. They pick at the smallest things and make them into huge scenarios. I would not recommend working here if you are not of European decent.
Pros
easy
Cons
some racist, rude, miserable
Good work atmosphere
Test Driver and Ticket Systems Auditor Temp (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAJanuary 30, 2013
I learned how the toll booth software is tested and how to audit. My co-workers were very helpful and answered any questions I had, For the most part, the work day went quickly. Looking at numbers all day was difficult because after awhile they all started to look the same. There was a sense of accomplishment as the packets became fewer.
Pros
free lunch in test lanes
Cons
looking at numbers all day with minimal breaks, temporary position
Loved my work
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  traveled between Carlisle-DowningtownSeptember 14, 2012
Customers were great, meeting different people every day. No two days were the same. Enjoyed my job very much. Hardest part of the job was nothing. There was always an answer for every problem, all you had to do was think.
Pros
it was all pros
Cons
weren't any cons
Not too bad if you don't mind sitting in a booth for 8 hours a day
Intern (Former Employee) –  New Stanton, PAMay 29, 2013
Great place for an internship! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Important to be precise and keep track of money coming through your toll, because you have to pay the difference if you come up short!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9