Penske Employee Reviews

Ready for a new adventure with a new company.
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  South Holland, ILJanuary 23, 2017
Penske as a whole is a decent company. After being there for 10 years i don't like the direction my company is headed, at least for the shops in Illinois. With limited growth potential and lack luster management, I begin to wonder how much longer I can stay loyal to this company. Fortunately my shop is close to home, the pay is pretty good and I enjoy the people I work with. Basically I'm just not challenged anymore. I'm ready for a new adventure with a new company.
Pros
Job security, substantial pay & close to home.
Cons
Inadequate management, inconvenient shifts & limited growth potential.
typical day at work
Technician III (Current Employee) –  La Vergne, TNJanuary 17, 2017
a typical day at work for me is get there thirty minutes early get changed and make sure my tool box is clean. Go to a safety team meeting get my job i am working on, then start working on it. At Penske i have learned alot. I am significantly good at coolant systems. I enjoy almost all the people i work with i have good team work skills and am willing to learn, and am smart enough to learn anything someone shows me. the most enjoyable part of the job is when i do get to lean new things, and get to apply them later on.
Pros
good people to work with, and good supervisors
Cons
repetitive work
Fast pace work invironment
Manager/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 9, 2017
A typical day of work consisted of doing a inventory check and providing customer service. I learned that keeping a schedule makes this job a lot easier. Management was respectful and hands on with staff. My co-workers were fun and gave support where needed. The hardest part of the job was the multi tasking due to being short staff. Most enjoyable part of the job was working in a relaxed environment.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Short breaks
Good plave to work at, but bad supervisors and managers
Stand up reach operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXFebruary 3, 2017
I would work from 4:30 pm-5am Mondays- Saturday, and one or two Sunday of every month. Everyone puts at least 72 hours minimum a week, so everyone makes big pay checks. Most workers don't like working here because of poor management. The workers are great and dock lead,reach lead, picker lead, and inventory lead are very cool and helpful, but supervisors and managers are the ones who run away good workers. There is room to move up in this company. The work is easy and the money is good, but the management is very unreliable.
Overall, it is a good place to work at, but as long you don't mine bad supervisors and managers.
Pros
Get ready to make some good money.
Cons
Lots of hours and bad supervisors and management
Very competitive and excellent start for a career.
Rental Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2016
Penske is a very competitive career and requires you to move a very fast pace. From I've learned so far from this company is we will never say no to a customer. The managers are great and always helps when in needed. The hardest part of this job is to learn to backtrack on someone's mistakes and trying to correct it. The most enjoying about Penske is the ability to rent trucks for a large discount and company take care of lunch ensuring everyone eat.
Pros
Flexible schedule and great pay for a start
Cons
Can't rollover your PTO time and sick days.
Great work environment
Telephone Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Reading, PA 19607December 28, 2016
A typical day was making reservations for one way truck leasing and helping customers who trying to move and meeting their needs.
I learned great customer service skills.
I had little interaction with managers.
I had little interaction with co-workers.
The hardest part of my job was time management. I wanted to spend time with customers, but the call que was always at high volume.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interaction with the customers.
Pros
Great commision.
Cons
Not a lot of room for mistakes.
Was a popularity contest
TRANSPORTATION MANAGER/HIKER (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, NJJanuary 17, 2017
Another company not organized. Which is sad for a company that is global. Poorly managed. Extremely poor communication problem. They don't care about their employees as much as they want you to think. Some positions are treated as if they are expendable. No actually team work.
Pros
good place to get experience as a commercial driver
Cons
Poorly run company with bad communication issues.
Average to less than
Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 22, 2017
Be ready for mind games, they are always trying to screw you into a situation that benefits them and sets you up for less. They want you to jump at will and you cannot make plans without upsetting them. They will turn their back on you as soon as something happens that isn't to their advantage.
Pros
Minimal supervision
Cons
Integrity, organization, insult to driver intelligents, they think they are way above you.
Diverse and exciting work environment
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDDecember 16, 2016
Diverse & exciting environment. Exposure & interaction with wide variety of clients / businesses. Most enjoyable part of job is satisfying customers & resolving problems; hardest part of job is dissatisfied customers. Learned about commercial vehicles and maintenance therein & Federal DOT compliance. Management is considerate, fair & family oriented. Co-workers kind & friendly.
Solid Job
Sales & Operations Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNDecember 6, 2016
Penske is a solid place to work. Managers have much influence on your day - good and bad.

Pro's:

It is a large international corporation with opportunities all over.
Overtime opportunity.
Not monotonous.
You can choose how hard you want to work

Con's:

Limited opportunities for advancement unless you relocate
Sometimes long hours and a little overworked
Work weekend days starting off
Truck Leasing
Management Ttrainee/Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID 83705January 2, 2017
This job was all about logistics. Having the right people and product in place and available prior to needing them made this job difficult at first. My success came from consistent communication with internal and external customers both existing and potential.
Coming up with a winning plan meant nothing without embracing the grind to achieve it.
"its what you signed up for--" That is the motto here
Service Department (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAJanuary 29, 2017
Turn over is ridiculously high. Overbooking appointments and then trying to juggle between all those appointments (up to 6 an hour). Owners dont want to pay techs descent wages, so they leave. Management points finger at each other, so nothing ever changes, they paint a pretty picture at first but when its time to get down to business they pull the BEST Hudini act EVER!! The parking situation is HORRIBLE. They make you park about 1/2 mile away to some lot where of course they are not responsible for the break-ins to your car (happened already several times). Beware: Owner makes decisions for their extended warranty which can take up to a month to-- IF it gets approved!! (How do you tell your customers that?)
Pros
building was remodeled so it looks like its serious business...
Cons
Untill you see what really goes on.
N/a
Consumer Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 8, 2017
Must have a valid US state issued driver’s license. Prepare for retail sales calls by obtaining and analyzing relevant store, product and market data and creating effective selling tools and presentations for KDM delivery during call. Review and make recommendations to the District sales manager to modify routes that maximize business efficiencies.
Office Setting
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MDNovember 4, 2016
I work at the rental counter. I answer phone calls, deal with customer issues and concerns and am covering reservations for the day. I am constantly checking customers in an out of trucks why dealing with other tasks that need to be completed during the day. PM calls, damage reports, and fuel tickets are just some of the jobs that I complete on a daily basis. The hardest part of my job is constantly having to deal with multiple situations at one time. The most enjoyable part of the job is the constant movement that I do. Not sitting at a desk for 8 hours in a day. I am always on my feet.
very good people to work with and good lower management
Tech 1 mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LADecember 13, 2016
ok place to work,great people,lots of work,want high productivity,upper management pics the people they like,lower management doesn't make a difference with people.
Pros
great people to work around
Cons
force high productivity, says they hire people at the cheapest rate possible for the branch to be successful in expenses
Productive and fund workplace
Rental Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 30, 2016
A typical day at Penske is exciting and filled with a variety task need to be completed daily. Since working at Penske I have gained a better sense of sales operations and how it applies to my position. The most enjoyable part of the job is the management that provide a great work environment for workers to strive in.
Pros
Career Advancement
Fast paced and Management helps accelerate advancement
Fueler / Detailer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 23, 2017
While working at Penske I experienced a very fast paced environment also everyone was there to help when you needed it. with a lot of potential to grow.
I hope to work with them again soon.
Pros
Medical, Dental, Friendly, Good Pay
Cons
Days off where separated so for Example you have Monday and Friday off.
Great job poor management
Tech 2 diesel mech (Former Employee) –  Broome corp driveNovember 2, 2016
The work demand is good poor management the guys on the floor work as a team but management works against you never got your back except if thy got a knife the work environment is good insurance has a lot to be desired but better than nothing most of the problem is upper management and direct managers never take your side
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
On your butt if you take a break
Good Company with Slow Advancement
Rental Manger (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 12, 2016
The pay was good enough, and the job was a challenge which I enjoyed. The biggest flaw for me was the lack of advancement at the time. No one in the district wanted to move or even apply for other positions, so I was stuck with nowhere to go but out. I did apply and interview with many locations all over the country, only to find that they were always planning to promote their local rep no matter what. Also, rather than firing poor managers, they tended to transfer them around to fail elsewhere which made no sense to me.
Pros
Challenging Coordination of Equipment, Pay is Comparable to Industry Standards
Cons
Lack of Opportunity Due to Lack of Accountability for Previously Promoted Employees
Assisting customers with breakdowns needs and great place to work.
OTR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 14, 2017
Enjoyed working for the company for the most part. Busy season (spring and summer) can push people over the edge. I've witnessed great growth in the customer service field. Management gives realistic goals and very lenient towards their employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penske. Our community is ready to answer.