Penske Employee Reviews

Money is Great; Not family-friendly; Extremely Stressful
Consumer Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Elmsford, NYAugust 10, 2016
Enjoyed working for the company for the most part. Busy season (spring and summer) can push people over the edge. I've witnessed several people cry at work--one complete melt down. Management gives unrealistic goals and mostly will not alter after discussing. COMPANY IS NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY.

Best part was the co-workers and the fast pace. Working there was like playing a constant game of tetris.
Pros
Great benefits especially PTO, Quick advancement (2 years per position)
Cons
Not family-friendly, HR does not follow-up in a timely manner, Extremely stressful during busy season, Different managment levels are not on the same page regarding goals or how to achieve them
Numbers drive the atmosphere
Parts Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 16, 2016
Overall a generally good company, the management is helpful in your development and driven pretty hard by numbers. You are your own driver for development and career advancement. Work hard, get rewarded.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Workload can be quite heavy
Extensive and strenuous physical labor with ability to earn incentive.
Selector of Product for Kroger (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, INMay 6, 2016
Every day is move as fast as you can the whole day. I lift any where from 110 pound boxes to 5 pound boxes and move any where from 30,000 to 50,000 pounds a day in total. I learned how to work efficiently, multi-task, and to think ahead to the next outcome. Most of my co-workers are multi-cultured, multilingual, and come from all different walks of life and location. Work to life balance is very difficult in this job because management can revoke your days off resulting in working months at a time without a single day off. The most enjoyable part of this job is the amount of money I can make due to the incentive and the harder I work the more I can make. This allows rewards in the form of incentive for the employees that work harder and faster.
Pros
Decent healthcare and good pay
Cons
Days off aren't guaranteed
Great employer
Rental Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 11, 2016
Advancement can happen very fast but it is a place where they promote talent over tenure. The work/life balance can be difficult but you make your choice how that works. If your in a management level position you won't work less than 50 hours a week.
Batavia location has a constant turnover of employees
Prefer not to answer (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILJune 28, 2016
What an absolute horrible place to work for....management is dishonest and crooked....good hardworking people or let go and they go through temp agencies to hire bodies to do the work and some don't last on there first day past lunchtime....favoritism...if you are not in the Kim click you have no job security....how can one expect to work at a place that has to constantly tell employees to keep doors locked because yet another fired ex-employee has made threats to supervisors there. I don't think all facilities are like the Batavia one...someone really needs to take a look at how they run things there.. hard work, lower wages than the standards and absolutely no job security whatsoever especially if you are not a member of Kims family or one of her friends....
Pros
Cant think of one
Cons
Back breaking hard work mandatory overtime work people like slaves
Opportunity for advancement, positive work environment. luxury cars.
Executive Assistant for the Area Vice President (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 29, 2016
Opportunities...Began my career as the ambassador. Within 3 short months, I was promoted to manager of ambassador's of 7 dealerships. By 12 month's, I was promoted to Executive Assistant to AVP. I was proud to work for Penske Automotive for their reputation in providing excellent customer service.
I consider myself to be poised, professional and approachable. I posses excellent administrative functions.
Knowledge of computer operations including all Microsoft Office applications, proprietary software systems and Internet research.
My hours are flexible, including nights and weekends.
Pros
Positive Reputation in related fields.
Cons
Travel
Great managment
Driver (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 23, 2016
Pay reflects the contract. So do your benefits.
Low under market value pay, no real overtime to make up and cheap poorly maintained trucks.
Its a fill in to a better job somewhere else though and I have just realized it after a year of service.
Some contracts are better than others so pay may be higher or even lower. Mostly lower. My contract I have to use PTO to cover my 40 hours if there closed for snow days etc. I struggle to get 8 hours in a day.
Its a good Job for simi retired or part time.
I worry everyday my job will be cut though and I am looking for other work now.
No real advancment.
Penske management locally is awesome though and they make you want to do a good job.
Contact management and staff are jerks who treat you like a moron. That also seems to be company wide with most contracts.
Basically your a number and a seat filler. You will not have any support from any high ups and if you don't kiss the contracts a&% you won't be happy.
Pros
Great operations manager!!
Cons
Pay, insurance, vacation time, no overtime
Overall good place to work
Lot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 30, 2016
On a typical day I help with lot management to include inventory operations, vehicle maintenance, vehicle cleanliness, vehicle merchandising and display, vehicle transportation, vendor relationships and lot / building image and maintenance.
Pros
free lunch if you work Saturdays, paid holidays
Cons
havent received a raise since i was hired in Sept 2014
Solid Job
Sales & Operations Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNDecember 6, 2016
Penske is a solid place to work. Managers have much influence on your day - good and bad.

Pro's:

It is a large international corporation with opportunities all over.
Overtime opportunity.
Not monotonous.
You can choose how hard you want to work

Con's:

Limited opportunities for advancement unless you relocate
Sometimes long hours and a little overworked
Work weekend days starting off
Productive and fund workplace
Rental Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 30, 2016
A typical day at Penske is exciting and filled with a variety task need to be completed daily. Since working at Penske I have gained a better sense of sales operations and how it applies to my position. The most enjoyable part of the job is the management that provide a great work environment for workers to strive in.
Pros
Career Advancement

Want to know more about Penske?

Ask a question
Just another Logistics company here today gone tomorrow
Driver CDL-A (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 19, 2016
This is your typical Logistics company, short staffed, minimal pay raises, low wages, and long hours. Management is always in a state of turnover. Most of the equipment is only 5 years old, but is poorly maintained by Penske Rental. Most trucks are slip seat, with multiple drivers. They call you an Associate for a reason, as soon as they lose the contract, they are down the road, and you are looking for a job. Their customers treat you like a temporary, which technically you are. Everyone is paid the same, whether you have been with the company 1 month or 20 years.
Pros
You have a job for a while
Cons
Low pay, constantly changing management, and poor equipment
Upward mobility - but at a price
Employee (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 16, 2016
Opportunities but you have to work for it.. Can move up the ladder fast if willing to relocate and work 60 hours plus.

Culture is good - local managers have a lot of authority.

Pay - will be just enough. But benefit package is very good.
Pros
Upward growth
Cons
Pay and Work life balance
Good company
Tech 2 diesel mechanic (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 4, 2016
Great company to work for and the top of the line training. Excellent benefits that is offered to employees once you start. Unfortunately bad local management
Pros
Training and benefits
Cons
A solid company to work for
District Rental Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 26, 2016
Penske is a great company to work for. It can be demanding at times, and the work/life balance can be tough at times. It's very diverse and hard work gets noticed.
Pros
Internal promotions, Job security
Cons
work/life balance, Micromanagement
Good Company with Slow Advancement
Rental Manger (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 12, 2016
The pay was good enough, and the job was a challenge which I enjoyed. The biggest flaw for me was the lack of advancement at the time. No one in the district wanted to move or even apply for other positions, so I was stuck with nowhere to go but out. I did apply and interview with many locations all over the country, only to find that they were always planning to promote their local rep no matter what. Also, rather than firing poor managers, they tended to transfer them around to fail elsewhere which made no sense to me.
Pros
Challenging Coordination of Equipment, Pay is Comparable to Industry Standards
Cons
Lack of Opportunity Due to Lack of Accountability for Previously Promoted Employees
good for first job
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Green Hills, PAJune 30, 2016
Was a nice experience after college as my first job. People were great, learned a lot in my short time there. Got really bored with my job though, very repetitive, and wasn't really given a chance to move to a different job within the company, so I was sort of stuck. That's why I left.
Pros
well respected company, good people, job security seems ok
Cons
limited insurance options, uptight culture
Large corporation, too many chief's, not enough indians
Fleet Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MichiganJune 21, 2016
Penske offers a very stable paycheck, which is nice, but the fact that salary works 10 hours a day, 5 days a week and every other weekend kills any kind of family life. It is about how many hours you can put in here. The company looks out for themselves, not for the employees. Management loves to scrutinize everything you do, will not allow you to make decisions without having 4 conference calls that talk about what you are going to discuss in the next conference call.

If you aren't a yes man (or woman), you will not get promoted. If you take care of your customers and do things the way they should be done morally and to the company guide line, upper management will find a loop hole in how you could have done it better. There is no recognition for doing the right thing. Unless you bring your knee pads to work and say all the right things about your Manager, chances of you getting promoted are slim to none. Don't worry about having a good work ethic, that doesn't matter here.

The associates you work with on a day to day basis (not your manager, I have only seen him 5-6 times this year, but I am sure he will be giving me my performance review at the end of the year.) are great guys. Down to earth, willing to put in a solid 8 hours and still build a personal relationship. I see these guys way more than I see my family anyway.
Pros
Pay Check
Cons
Hours, management, Conference calls, Lack of promotions, lack of recognition, lack of guidance
Very family oriented company, great place to work.
Title Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 20, 2016
This job gives great benefits and pay. You get the chance to learn so many different things, hands on. The management is great and the work environment peaceful and enjoyable to be in every day.
Pros
Understanding
Cons
Favoritism
A Good to place to work
Lube Technician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 17, 2016
Getting hired at Lexus of stevens creek is not an easy feat. It took about a month and a half to get through the background checks and interviews. I consider myself lucky to have gotten in, that being said. Working for Lexus of stevens creek as an hourly worker is work, they don't take well to ideal bodies. I have learned so much while working here and, for the most part, I have no issues with management or my co-workers both of which are very supportive and friendly. The hardest part of my job is getting through the 10hr shifts other than that I enjoy what I do and look forward to advancement even if it's a long road ahead.
Pros
Good benefits, Catered Events, Great Co-workers
Think twice not all it's cracked up to be ....
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MIAugust 22, 2016
Just started the Chesterfield warehouse, think twice about applying. Management talks down to you. In orientation they make it sound like Penske is such a great company to work for, not true !! Management sets unrealistic goals, they expect the world from you, feels like they run the place like a boot camp. Count on the warehouse getting very warm. No air, No fans, doors are always closed because there's food in the warehouse. If it's 90 out count on the warehouse being over 100 degrees.

If you do get a job there count on barely able to walk out of there after a shift.... That 4 days 10 hrs is BULLSH*T ... Steer clear of this place at all cost.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Unrealistic goals, management is a joke

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penske. Our community is ready to answer.