Pentagon Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews in United States

Deceptive
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 14, 2016
Be careful with this company. Make sure you get everything you negotiate in writing!! Also, make sure you fully understand the time off policy!! They include holidays in the "personal leave" so you may not get as much time off as you think you are getting. This can be a shock if you have been in the financial industry for awhile and used to having the holidays off in addition to your vacation time. Not only are the holidays included in the amount of time you get off, you may not actually be able to take off on the holidays that you want. The management I had contact with seemed insecure, lacked transparency, and is not truthful. People are not receptive to new ideas. This company has some serious growing pains.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits, other than the time off
Cons
Everything else
Despised my work
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  VAJuly 21, 2016
Everyone you ask who aren't PC diluted will tell you it could possibly be the worst company to work for. If you are trying to compete with Navy ; please forget it . NFCU culture is much more employee oriented which is the reason for their exponential growth. There's a reason NFCU is listed as top 100 best places to work. I can tell you with utmost confidence that if you ask any PenFed employee how they TRULY feel about the company , they'd probably agree with the 2-star assessment here.
PFCU attempts to achieve growth with low employee morale. Because of this the turnover rate increase which is prevalent.
No other words to describe ; so the advice is if this is the absolute last resort then take it.
Pros
Beltway, coworkers
Cons
Most of everything and they know it
Senior Production Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJanuary 9, 2016
Something always going on, the Management here is great, very professional. I work in the command center monitoring the stability of the IBM Mainframe system and network, also the Microsoft servers through Solarwinds and IBM Tivoli software.
Pros
12 hour shift 7am-7pm, one hour lunch 2 15 mins break.
Cons
Low Salary
Subpar Training and Management
member service representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 7, 2015
If you enjoy working for millenials, who do not know how to manage, who cannot handle criticism, who love to have other supervisors and managers in their office and laugh and yell, then this is the place to work.

MSRs only get 37.5 hours, but they do get benefits.

The rules in their call center are draconian, they need to treat their MSRs as adults. If you need to go to the bathroom, that times burns through your ten minute breaks.

They do not tolerate conversation amongst MSRs, however they have no problem allowing supervisors congregating in offices, speaking and laughing loudly, while the reps are trying to help members. I was placed at a desk, outside my manager's office. She told me that her office could get loud and crazy and she was right! She told me to let her know if it got too loud and I did! She shot me the evil eye and did nothing to quiet things down!

One more observation, I noticed that there are hardly any smiles in the break room!
Pros
Fair starting wage for the area
Cons
Short breaks, fast food mentality toward hiring MSRs, constantly hiring new reps instead of trying to keep and train good people
A great place to work!
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 11, 2016
PenFed is really a great place to work! I really liked all of my coworkers and supervisors. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. There is always someone to go to if you are having any issues.

I believe the biggest lesson I've learned working for PenFed is how important we all are and how we can contribute to being apart of a larger goal and image. From the policies and daily operations to the members and managers. Everyone is part of the team!
Training was very good, and environment is good.
Member Service Representative, Work (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 8, 2016
The job was a good experience for the most part. Soft sell was inaccurate, it is more like sales. If I were looking for sales it would have been a very good opportunity.
Pros
Family oriented.
N/a
Disaster Recovery Data Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 18, 2016
Good company to work for however work life balance could be better. Schedule changed from 8am - 4 pm M-F to 6am -6pm rotational days with every other Fri, Sat, Sun off.
Warned
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 14, 2016
I cannot reiterate this enough. This is a good ole boys club and everything that it entails. There is a significant number of white executives compared to their minority counterparts. If you get hired good luck at advancement and all the best to you.
Pros
Close to beltway
Cons
There is way too much to put here.
Worst job. Ever.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 15, 2012
There is a reason PenFed has a high turnover rate and it is simple: the job sucks.

Sure the pay is a bit higher than most call centers but a decent hourly wage doesn't make up for low morale, sub-par technology and a corporate culture of favoritism.

There are no tangible means for upwards mobility at PenFed, although the upper management will say "if you work hard, someone will notice." Sadly if you work hard your working for a pat on the back, not a promotion. Basically it's a job you do just for a paycheck and for me that makes PenFed fall into the "worst job ever" category.
Pros
decent hourly wage
Cons
terrible corporate culture, bad employee morale, high turnover
Productive, didn't lay off
MORTGAGE SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 15, 2016
A typical work day was answering phones, entering applications, verified information with borrowers, kept up with current guidelines, my coworkers were great to work with!
First Banking Experience
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 21, 2015
Processed client transactions; handled cash limits of $200,000; daily audited cash drawers and vault; counted weekly cash shipments; utilized the credit union’s computer system to track account information for the membership. Maintained/balanced ATM machines; performed Receptionist duties as needed; interacted directly with members to answer questions, address concerns, and resolve problems; handled incoming telephone inquiries from members. Researched, acquired, and maintained a thorough working knowledge of the organization as well as its products and services in order to properly represent the credit union to members and potential members. Attended monthly branch meetings with immediate supervisor and branch manager; completed monthly policy and security tests.
Pros
employee appreciation
Cons
no room for advancement
Cronyism
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymousMarch 25, 2013
Let me first start off by saying that there are goo things about the company if you are not looking for any advancements whatsoever.

If you are an internal employee looking for advancement it is almost impossible to get into any management position and that's across the board. It makes it especially much harder if you are a minority looking for a move up or advancement. I say this through experience; I attained my degree and had been working in this dept for over 5 years and a promotion came up and I was looked over. I am not griping but if you hire someone that hasnt worked in the banking industry whatsoever then yes I'll raise the flag. It was alarming to me and so I subtley asked around and my hunch was right. This isn't a joke to some people as they are working their behinds to get that promotion and doing everything they can possbily do and all they ask for is the same consideration as their counterparts regardless of color.
Pros
health/medical
Cons
cronyism
This is great
Paper (Former Employee) –  Friendship Estates, MDDecember 6, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but about growth of workforce. The best part of it all is...
Great people to work with. Sales goal requirements a bit extreme.
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 21, 2015
Customer service is not always an easy job. With increased goals and standards for sales, courtesy of our new CEO, it's become an increasingly stressful place to work. I've been there longer than most member service representatives are willing to stick around, but feel unappreciated for the amount of knowledge and experience I posses. If you want to get into banking, and are highly motivated to move up or into other positions, it's a great place to work. They are very flexible with time off, and they try to work with you as best they can. Starting out as a member service rep though, you'll want to be prepared to sell to meet goals and standards, so you can move out of the position after 6 months.
Pros
friendly, supportive work staff, workout room, cake day, parties
Cons
some of the customers, high goals and standards
Fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hanover MdDecember 3, 2014
A typical day at work:
Very Busy

What you learned:
Set goals that are attainable.

Management:
Direct, controls, supervises, a group of people to coordinate and achieve a specific goal.

Your co-workers:
My department was small we had 4 man and 3 women. We all worker together as a Team.
Dependability
-Has Good Attendance
-Is Cooperative
-Has a Positive Attitude
-Is a Team Player

The hardest part of the job.
When the main system goes down.

The most enjoyable part of the job:
I would recommend working at this company to anyone.
You don’t want to let your coworkers down.
You help without thinking.
You view success in terms of fulfillment and gratification – not just promotions and money.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
good breaks
Great Employer
Teller 1 (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 24, 2015
This company believes in it's employees. They DO NOT lay off. If circumstanced require a belt tightening they will seek to do so in every other area but displacing employees. The benefits are decent. The CEO is visible and willing to hear from ALL employees. Open door policy here is not fiction. The work environment is truly a family environment full of dedicated employees. Nice, annual, company-wide, performance based bonuses. Work from home options are available.
Pros
Great Work and personal life balance
Cons
I wish the pay was better.
fast pace place to work
mortage loan processor (Former Employee) –  papillion NeJune 22, 2015
no 2 days are the same at PFCU. average day starts with reviewing loans that will be closing in the next 2 weeks. make sure all documentation and information is updated in the file. We all pieces are there. Submit the file to our underwriting team, once approved, set up the closing appointment and sent to the closing department.
work on incoming emails, order new services for new loans assigned. learned alot of time management. Held a pipeline of 60-90 loans i would close between 15-22 loans per month. My co workers are an amazing group. we always cheer each other on and keep a very positive work environment for all.. the hardest aspect of my job would be having to tell a member their loan was denied and the reasons why. The most enjoyable part is seeing someone close on their first home , or being able to payoff debt to better help them achieve financial security.
Pros
gym at facility
Cons
short work weeks. work week there is 37.5 hours
Means to an end.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousNovember 27, 2012
If you think this company will further your career , you are absolutely mistaken. There is little to no internal advancement which is an issue. Little work/life balance - you only get two paid working holidays a year , TWO paid working holidays. Pay is extremely low poverty level low - do not be fooled with the per hr number as you only get paid 75hrs and not the regular 80hrs. high 20's salary for a customer service rep. Ask a lot of questions and don't be fooled with the initial offers - further probe and ask questions.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
see above
Good Place to Work
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 29, 2015
This is definitely a good place to work, good pay for what it is you do. The only reason I am leaving is because I will be moving out of state eventually.
Pros
Contests all the time, awesome management, bonuses, and reward time
Cons
Crazy members
There is a lot that needs to be done
Credit Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 23, 2012
PenFed is a very conservative organization which has been a positive during the recent downturn. PenFed needs to embrace newer technology in almost all areas to maintain a low operating cost model that it has. PenFed workforce, especially management needs more young blood and fresh ideas and talent. PenFed management needs to provide a better, more progressive work environment to retain such talent.
Pros
job security
Cons
old school, rigid and bureaucratic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pentagon Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Reviews by Location