Penton Media

Penton Media Employer Reviews

Able to work from home. Plus all major job benefits.
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: money! plus trade show events & sales meetings in beautifull places to take bahamas
Cons: travel, away every week mostly flying, and not getting home till the weekend. less family time.
On the phone contacting clients and setting up appointments for each week. Then would fly or drive to those clients I covered about 21 states.
How to be persistent in order to be successful. Being in front of my clients as often as need be. Some said I was a pain in a nice way.
Not a lot of contact because I had deadlines every month and I would project – more... that months numbers and my publisher would just normally say whats your best number. We talked maybe once a week but mostly at the end of each month. Nice guy no problems he always gave me a top notch evaluation.
Keeping up the yearly 40% attrition factor. Trying to grow a territory is tough when you loose that much business for reasons out of your control.
The feeling of making the sale. – less
Productive, fun environment, employee functions, with several fun breakrooms
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Cleveland, OhioJune 25, 2014
My day was always filled with work which I enjoyed. I learned new procedures that were implemented by co-workers as well as I was responsible for many new procedures to cut down the amount of time spent on certain tasks. I would say that I enjoyed my job every single aspect of it. The only time the job was hard was when I was being trained by certain – more... employees who were not very good at training so I had to basically train myself or ask someone else in the department how to properly do something if I was not sure. – less
Great people, not so great pay
Account Manager (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: free lunch occasionally, work from home options, great people, very communal, lots of learning opportunities
Cons: no 401k match, benefits could be better, management changes company goals often
Penton is truthfully a great company to work for. When I was hired, everyone said the people would be the best part of job...well they were right, it's really the people that have kept me here. The company is filled with sharp, smart editors, sales reps, project managers and creatives who come from really varied backgrounds. That makes the days interesting – more... and diverse.

Overall, I would recommend this company to any entry-level candidate looking to break in to the world of publishing/information services. The best part of the job is interacting with others and working hard to provide excellent customer service. The tough part is dealing with management and their constantly changing objectives, which make it tough to feel certain about the company's future. Also there really aren't career paths here, so once you're hired for a position you will likely work that position until you leave the company. – less
It was a short 3 month job until I found a better one.
Circulation Department Specialist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHDecember 3, 2013
Pros: good location in downtown
Cons: no challenge
Update subscribers information on computer. Help with yearly audit by pulling records from warehouse.
Good company to work for while it lasted....
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee), Paramus, NJAugust 27, 2013
Pros: end users appreciated their it staff.
Company was bought out by a bigger company and mass layoffs insued. Good people to work with, knowledgable IT management, and knowledgable IT staff.
1980's style management, quiet workplace, little chance of advancement and low pay.
Manager (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 17, 2013
Pros: affordable insurance and decent vacation and sick time
Cons: authoritarian management style, no transparencey from the top, no recognition, small--if any raises, pays 20% less than industry standard
Worked here formerly and everyone that remains is miserable. Too many vendor systems do not operate properly and nobody up top wants to hear about it. Clients are the ones that take it on the chin.

Too many careless drones plodding away just waiting out the days until they retire. I was able to advance to a certain point just for having a little ambition – more... and a brain, but was eliminated when I asked for more responsibility and started trying to solve problems.

They allowed me to start my career, but would not recommend working here unless it is your very last option before flipping burgers or squeezing coffee for the masses. – less
Advertise
Assistant Conference Manager (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 21, 2012
potential sponsors and attendees for Restaurant
Hospitality Magazine.
Sad
Web Content Manager (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 17, 2012
Bad management and low pay. An office full of older workers playing it safe, slow and dumb until retirement.
Positive Work Experience
Marketing Specialist-Aviation Division (Former Employee), Overland ParkMay 30, 2012
Great work enviornment. I left the company early due to a family illness and now that we are back on track, I would go back their in a heartbeat if a position was available for my qualifications.