Penton Media Employee Reviews

Professional company with nice employees
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 15, 2017
It was nice working at Penton. Our days were 7.5 hrs a day so it was nice working a shorter day. The employees were nice as they trained me and management was truly nice. At Christmastime we received gifts which was very memorable. It was a good experience.
Pros
shorter day, nice people
Cons
temporary job
Good People
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COAugust 25, 2017
The people who work here love what they do and it shows. Everyone is passionate about what they do and want to excel. Senior management that listed to good ideas and acted upon the ideas have left the company.
Fun working environment
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 8, 2017
Very fun working environment. The manager is extremely friendly and socialized. We can propose ideas and have opportunities to raise ideas.

Sometimes we have to work at night to support production but manager allows us to compensate for what we worked; which is good.
Pros
Good benefits, Great management
Cons
Short term project, not secured job company
Penton was a great place to work
Executive Assistant to the CEO (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2017
Penton is the largest privately held B2B information services company in North America with a team over 1,200 in 20 locations throughout the US, Europe and Asia. The CEO at Penton Media from 2012 - 2017 was a wonderful manager, great leader and genuinely cared about each and every employee.
It's been years....
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 17, 2016
While I worked at Penton and prior ownerships all of my ratings were correct. However, while working there we were purchased 3 times so quite honestly I cannot speak for the current ownership and culture.
Pros
Family life
Cons
Sold multiple times
Remote worker
Writer (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COJuly 11, 2016
I wrote articles from home, so all I had to do was communicate via email with the editors. It was very easy going and the people I had contact with were very nice and professional.
Good if you need experience
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2016
Hard work, gain as much experience and then leave. Some people here are nice to work with, others want you to do the work for them
Great Place for Music Lovers
Specialty Advertising Associate (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 10, 2016
The Penton Media office in Emeryville housed Mix, Remix, and Electronic Musician publications to name a few. Great environment for music lovers. Exciting industry.

Unfortunately print publishing is at an all time low, so job security was almost non-existent.
Pros
Music and entertainment oriented
Cons
Low job security
Managed the taxonomy migration of 3 sites from Drupal 6 to Alfresco.
Digital Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2016
Managed the taxonomy migration of 3 sites from Drupal 6 to Alfresco.Ensured due dates were met and maintained for each project.
nice place to work
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 9, 2015
I was hired to do a Microsoft office upgrade project. The environment was stable and the people friendly. My manager didnt micro-manage. He trusted that I would do my job.
Calm Workplace, Good Leadership
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2015
Penton is a good place to work. I think that they are a little light on compensation, but they are well run at the top and the CEO does his best to put employee interests first.
Pros
relaxed, calm, working environment
Cons
no 401K match
Productive, fun magazine environment
Associate Editor (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 8, 2015
I wrote for Expansion Management magazine, an international economic development magazine. Expansion offered an ideal environment to learn the ropes of economic development through writing, travel opportunities and networking with industry experts.
This was a fun and stress free place to work
Assistant Circulation Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 23, 2014
This was my ideal job, I worked my way up the ladder from clerk to management, I thought that I would retire from this job
Able to work from home. Plus all major job benefits.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 15, 2014
On the phone contacting clients and setting up appointments for each week. Then would fly or drive to those clients I covered about 21 states.
How to be persistent in order to be successful. Being in front of my clients as often as need be. Some said I was a pain in a nice way.
Not a lot of contact because I had deadlines every month and I would project that months numbers and my publisher would just normally say whats your best number. We talked maybe once a week but mostly at the end of each month. Nice guy no problems he always gave me a top notch evaluation.
Keeping up the yearly 40% attrition factor. Trying to grow a territory is tough when you loose that much business for reasons out of your control.
The feeling of making the sale.
Pros
Money! Plus trade show events & sales meetings in beautifull places to take Bahamas
Cons
Travel, away every week mostly flying, and not getting home till the weekend. Less family time.
Productive, fun environment, employee functions, with several fun breakrooms
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioJune 25, 2014
My day was always filled with work which I enjoyed. I learned new procedures that were implemented by co-workers as well as I was responsible for many new procedures to cut down the amount of time spent on certain tasks. I would say that I enjoyed my job every single aspect of it. The only time the job was hard was when I was being trained by certain employees who were not very good at training so I had to basically train myself or ask someone else in the department how to properly do something if I was not sure.
Great people, not so great pay
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 24, 2014
Penton is truthfully a great company to work for. When I was hired, everyone said the people would be the best part of job...well they were right, it's really the people that have kept me here. The company is filled with sharp, smart editors, sales reps, project managers and creatives who come from really varied backgrounds. That makes the days interesting and diverse.

Overall, I would recommend this company to any entry-level candidate looking to break in to the world of publishing/information services. The best part of the job is interacting with others and working hard to provide excellent customer service. The tough part is dealing with management and their constantly changing objectives, which make it tough to feel certain about the company's future. Also there really aren't career paths here, so once you're hired for a position you will likely work that position until you leave the company.
Pros
free lunch occasionally, work from home options, great people, very communal, lots of learning opportunities
Cons
no 401k match, benefits could be better, management changes company goals often
It was a short 3 month job until I found a better one.
Circulation Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 3, 2013
Update subscribers information on computer. Help with yearly audit by pulling records from warehouse.
Pros
good location in downtown
Cons
no challenge
Good company to work for while it lasted....
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 27, 2013
Company was bought out by a bigger company and mass layoffs insued. Good people to work with, knowledgable IT management, and knowledgable IT staff.
Pros
End users appreciated their IT staff.
1980's style management, quiet workplace, little chance of advancement and low pay.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 17, 2013
Worked here formerly and everyone that remains is miserable. Too many vendor systems do not operate properly and nobody up top wants to hear about it. Clients are the ones that take it on the chin.

Too many careless drones plodding away just waiting out the days until they retire. I was able to advance to a certain point just for having a little ambition and a brain, but was eliminated when I asked for more responsibility and started trying to solve problems.

They allowed me to start my career, but would not recommend working here unless it is your very last option before flipping burgers or squeezing coffee for the masses.
Pros
Affordable insurance and decent vacation and sick time
Cons
Authoritarian management style, no transparencey from the top, no recognition, small--if any raises, pays 20% less than industry standard
Advertise
Assistant Conference Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 21, 2012
potential sponsors and attendees for Restaurant
Hospitality Magazine.