People's United Bank

People's United Bank Employee Reviews

Pub
Financial Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 22, 2016
Long work day filled with many different types of tasks. Working with customers face to face/by phone. Working with multiple business partners on accounts, loans, private banking, and various other financial aspects all while keeping operational standards consistent. Best part is the day is busy with work and there is never a dull moment. There is not the best management everywhere but in all my locations I never had a problem and for the upper management they run the company very well.
Cons
benefits/salary
Adverse to change by anyone other than people who work in Connecticut
Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 16, 2016
At first the laid back atmosphere was something I valued, quickly that grew old. Senior management doesn't want to hear ideas from anyone who doesn't work in the state of Connecticut. The bank's processes and technology are years behind their peer institutions and any employee coming from a different bank will find that taxing.

What's most frustrating is having senior individuals who have NOTHING to do with a specific department throw their two cents into a process and hold it all up. The training department while full of some great people is in the dark ages due to poor leadership.

The CEO is wonderful but he probably has very little idea how poorly run certain departments are.

Benefits are terrible especially healthcare.

It's not a place for innovative ideas or people who question the status quo.
Cons
Healthcare, Training, Technology
Easy but no advancement
Financial Service Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2016
Easy and relaxed setting, not a career oriented job. There is a branch wide compensation but no personal compensation. You could be the top producer and due to other employees receive nothing for your hard work. Great college job but not a long term career. Loved my co workers, that's about all.
Pros
Cons
Rough hours, limited advancement, quota is impossible
Too much
Banker (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutDecember 14, 2016
Every day it seems like there's something different they want from you as if you didn't have enough to do already. Constant stress and they don't pay well at all.
Benefits
Cons
Work/life balance, and the pay
Great training, but limited advancement opportunities outside of retail banking
Vice President, Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  CTMay 9, 2016
7 day a week bank which provides great opportunities for the busy consumer and business customer. People's places a huge emphasis on the customer experience being top notch.

However, the growth of the organization is meeting the stereotype of becoming corporate and taking away benefits and perks that made the bank enjoyable for its employees. Employees are responsible for ever growing work loads despite reduction in staffing, having to train new employees, and handling customer interruptions. A typical banking day is working 9:30am-7:30pm (open to close) due to staffing shortages. The bank has seen 30% turnover in staff. This opens the doors for errors, especially with back office functions being pushed on to the branches.
Pros
Allows for a day off during the week with working every other weekend, direct management is very responsive, great education and training program
Cons
Lacks Advancement, losing qualified employees, reduction in bonus structure, back office functions being added to branch responsibiities
Good
Sr. CSA (Former Employee) –  WinstedOctober 19, 2016
Good place to work for, some branches have a lot of gossip.
Typical day was unlocking vaults. Setting up stations. then just process transactions and open accounts.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Branch Level Managment
Good start
Customer Service Associate/Teller (Former Employee) –  NYMarch 30, 2016
Good place to start, but not for long term. Lots of talk about advancement but you get a run around and ultimately stay in the same position your entire career there. Poor raises. Its a good place to learn about banking, but very high turn over rate. People are constantly quitting.
Pros
401k good learning experience
Cons
Management, long hours, not some place you want to be long term, talk about moving up in company but nothing ever comes of it.
Overall qualities
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MaineApril 18, 2016
I am a dedicated, self-motivating individual who can work well independently as well as with a team. I pay attention to detail, priorities, able to multi-task and meet deadline goals. I am familiar with Microsoft Office Word, Excel & Outlook. I am able to use office equipment and telephone switchboard. I possess excellent interpersonal and telephone skills and am always mindful of the importance of customer service.
Pros
Upbeat work environment
Cons
No benefits package
professional work environment
Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYOctober 11, 2016
A typical day at work would be managing several off-sites location that led to an increase in sales and customer service satisfaction.
Cross-sold bank services and products to a diverse customer base.
Accountable for monthly account production given by manager.
Responsibilities included; sales and preparation of money orders, cashier’s checks, bank to bank wires, savings bonds, travelers checks and certificates of deposit.
We learned team work throughout my duration of working there. Management made it easy to ask questions and for help if need be.
My Co workers were wonderful and great team players.
Hardest part of my job would have to be, not being able to help someone. However the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help people with all there needs and wants.
Great work/life balance, behind on technology
Online (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJanuary 28, 2016
Pros:
- great work/life balance
- my team is a great team to be a part of
- good benefits
- job security is good, retention rate is awesome, definitely not a revolving door

Cons:
- Advancement opportunities depend on which team you end up working for, sometimes there are no advancement opportunities for you and you have to move to a different team
- Behind on technology, never innovators, always catching up because they lag behind in features in comparison to other banks
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHApril 6, 2016
People's United Bank hired me with no prior banking knowledge. Management and my co-workers all work well as a team. We all learn from each other. I enjoy seeing and meeting new customers on a daily basis.
Pros
great benefits for part time employees
Loved working here
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTFebruary 27, 2016
You go in and you know what is expected of you and you do it. Learned to get along with different people and/or personalities. Co-workers were great once I got to know them and vice versa. There wasn't any difficult part of the job. You got along with management and they were very helpful when you needed time off or were ill.
Pros
Just a great place to work. 401K health insurance.
Challenging & Interactive Work Environment
SR. CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHSeptember 15, 2016
The people are great! I have no complaints regarding issues at work and found my immediate managers to be great mentors in my career. Banking just isn't what it used to be anymore and the perks aren't enough to retain knowledgeable employees that knows their worth.
Good Middle market Bank. Nice complex in Downtown Bridgeport?
Senior Asset Liability Analyst, Treasury (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTFebruary 10, 2016
Relaxed environment. Standard medium sized bank. Not alot of opportunity to move up. Stable environment. A little cheap.
Pros
Nice building, friendly environment, Staple jobs
Cons
Hard to advance, salary
Csa
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTDecember 21, 2016
a great experience to work in the business world but the management was unapproachable and unorganized. Opportunities to learn were always available.
awful place
csa (Current Employee) –  southington ctSeptember 13, 2016
I have a really bad manager that micro manages from her office via email. The little time she does spend out with the rest of the staff she spends pushing us for more and more sales or she is putting us down individually in front of one another. The rest of the staff is ok for the most part we all have our "things about us". We do not work as a team or a unit because of my manager and her push for sales we are out for each others blood.
Nice Atmosphere
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTDecember 8, 2016
I worked at People's United Bank for 10 years and the only reason I left the company was because my family and I were relocating to South Carolina. If not for that, I would still be there today. The hardest part of the job for me, as a Customer Service Associate( teller) was the sales pressure.
great work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJanuary 20, 2016
great place to work, great people and great enviroment busy call center set schedule and family oriented work place good benefits
Pros
supervisors are great
Cons
really busy call center
Growing opportunity
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  401 Glen cove rd East hiils, ny 11577January 12, 2017
Great opportunity to learn from my branch manager on all aspects of running an office and sales. Had to learn to run an office efficiently and deal with customers issues with an open mind and compassion.
Branch Manager is not nice
Teller (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTNovember 7, 2016
the bank was a fun place to work. i worked usually 4-6 hours a day. I had every Sunday off. i was able to wear my own clothes. I had to up sell various products and try to sell additional products to new and existing customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at People's United Bank. Our community is ready to answer.