People's United Bank Employee Reviews in United States

A little bank with a big bank attitude
Lead Customer Service Associate (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 22, 2015
People's United Bank was a dream come true when I first started her 3 years ago. However; since starting here the culture has changed and everyone, especially the customers are suffering because of it.

The Boston market has focused a lot on hiring people from BOA so that they can bring that BOA attitude of selling and apply it here and while I believe change can be good, it has hurt this company. New managers are not trained on the culture or even how to process transactions or open accounts. No one is ever held accountable and customers are always given wrong information because people in management don't want to admit they're wrong.

There used to be a lot of opertunity to grow but the growth manager won't promote anyone internally because he thinks everyone is lazy and tries to bully you into working for free until he is basically out of options and has to promote people out of pure nessacity.

If you're looking for a job this place will help to pay your bills but if you're looking for a career you might want to consider looking elsewhere.
Pros
nice hours
Cons
benefits suck, management has lost their way, you'll work hard but get 0 credit.
Good to Start Career in Banking
Bank Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 29, 2016
A Good Company to start career in banking and develop great customer service and financial skills. Nice Structure if you want to move up the ladder to become a FSA.
great introduction
Customer Service Associate- Teller (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTNovember 13, 2015
Great introduction into banking. Does not pay as much as other companies do. large work load for lack of pay. Great culture but management should sharpen leadership skills.
Pros
Great intro into banking
Cons
low pay wages for the work required
Decent work environment
Adjustment Representative (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTNovember 11, 2014
My day at work is a fast past environment from start to finish. I have learn so much about the banking industry and the wealth of knowledgeI have obtain will definitely assist me with my future career plans.The people I work with makes my job easy and their years of experience has aide me so much with my growth on the job. the hardest part about the job is the feeling unappreciated for the hard work I put in on a daily basis going above and beyond and not getting the recognition I deserve. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that I can gain experiences by assisting in many different capacity.
Pros
holidays
Cons
healthcare benefits keep increasing in cost with more out of pocket expense
Friendly Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2016
A typical work day is supporting management team with operational tasks and administrative duties. I learned a lot about the corporate office culture. The hardest part is being able to juggle many tasks at once. The most enjoyable part is there is almost never a dull moment.
Great
Teller (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 7, 2016
great working environment would like to go back I worked in this company when I was 20 I am now going on 27 really nice job i had trouble making it to work in the snow because to job was far from my house but I don't have those issues now it would be nice to go back
Pros
LUNCH
Cons
HEALTHCARE
A day as a market manager
Market Manager AVP (Current Employee) –  Rocky Point, NYNovember 11, 2015
It's refreshing and motivating to start my day by visiting my branches and attend their sales meeting where I can learn about the sales successes from the prior week and their plans to replicate that success or close production gaps for the period. I truly enjoy the one on one coaching sessions with my direct reports and skip level colleagues.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
high amount of red tape and politics
Manage client account, review weekly sales repoert, update projections for upcoming P&L numbers.
financial (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 24, 2015
I had a great experience working for this employer. The DM was very motivative and always theer for the employee. I have earned lots of experience managing high volume data, communicating with client with busienss and financial related matter. worked closely with the IT team and also the financial advisor for investement related products.
Pros
motivation
Cons
short employees
awesome internship experience
Commercial Banking Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 24, 2016
i interned with the company during summer 2015, and it was an awesome experience. i learned more than i ever thought possible, and I'd certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a strong resume experience.
Interesting Work Environment
BUSINESS BANKING CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTOctober 15, 2015
Overall, this is a good plave to work. My only complaint would be I do not feel our benefiets are up to snuff. Management is good and so are the PTO time.
Pros
Employee Rock Day
Cons
Health Insurance
It's really what you make of the experience.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 15, 2015
Great work life balance and benefits. Largely sales oriented. You will do fine if you are not overwhelmed by the politics.
Know what you want to specialize in and know the right people and you'll gain great experience.
Pros
pto, worklife balance, numerous opportunities for growth
Cons
prevalent petty politics
Cheap
Financial Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Trumbull, CTFebruary 9, 2016
The only problem with People's is the fact that they are cheap but preach superior customer service which becomes more and more difficult to achieve when procedures are made more difficult just to lower cost.
A buyer beware situation
Lead Customer Service Associate/Senior Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTFebruary 25, 2013
What was once an enjoyable place to work all around has become a hit or miss experience. The management team you have at this company can make or break your career. Most managers in the retail side of banking are constantly pushing sales goals. Managers on the corporate side are stretching employees too thin and then giving repremands for simple human mistakes. Employees are so busy that time to learn and grow within the company is nonexistent. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with. Benefits are steadily declining. I recommend passing on making a career with this company.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
little room for growth, poor management, decline in benefits package
Always learning something new
People's United Bank (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTFebruary 17, 2016
Nice people working toward the same goal. I had great mentors that really understood the banking business and never hesitated to share their knowledge.
Pros
Close to home
Horrible place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutApril 25, 2013
People's is an organization that could care less about most of their employees. Upper management only favors those who go above and beyond to get their sales goals, by the way they are unrealistic; even if that means you have to be unethical. The unethical ones are the ones that get praised, raises and are on the promotion platform. If you care about your customers is not enough, you must be a SALES MACHINE. Upper management do not care about you or your family, nor work quality. You get paid to work 40hrs a week and they make you work 50+hrs a week, without paying you extra. This company is the worst place to work for. Then they wonder why they have so much turnover in branch manager and employees! In this place is who you know and not what type of employee you are. Good luck if you want to work here, unless you want to live a stressful life, where they treat you horrible and don't appreciate their employees!
Pros
customers
Cons
compensation, upper management, benefits
Fair and equal opportunity employer
Residential & Consumer Lending Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport CTAugust 22, 2014
We were continually short handed and found ourselves working 60+ hours per week, and unfortunately, were not compensated for those extra hours. I maintained the workload for several years, and eventually the more we did, the more was expected and it was simply not humanly possible to produce the amount of work they required. As a result they have lost several good underwriters, including myself.

I did love the company. I worked well with all and was lucky enough to have a very supportive manager for the first 4 1/2 years of my time with them. Unfortunately, they then promoted from within a Manager who had no managerial experience and it all fell apart from there.
Pros
excellent co-workers, great benefits.
Cons
little support for the volume of work required.
everyone did and learned everthing from teller work and banker
sr. csa (customer service associate) (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, NYOctober 9, 2015
Assisting customer with their everyday financial needs.
I've learned that a lot of customers don't know what's needed for them.
Being a manager or being managed over is important to have things work out smoothly
Working with your co-workers is important that all are on the same page.
The hardest part of the job I've found is getting out on time from work.
The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting people.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
short breaks, extra work without pay
Excelent Place to Work
Assistant Manager/Lead Customer Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Needham Heights, MAOctober 28, 2014
I open and close the Bank And make sure we follow all procedures that is required by the Federal government. I do all Audits as required by Protocal Monthly and quarterly. I reward my Staff when they are doing a great job, But my position allows me to meet with Clients and I enjoy getting to know them and being able to help them. The Hardest Part of my Job is the recognition and staffing of the Bank.
benefits
Cons
not enough turn around as far as promotions
Poor senior management - Shareholders are bank's main concern- not employees or customers
Retail Banker (Former Employee) –  VermontSeptember 12, 2012
Great training opportunities but limited advancement opportunities. Branches are always short staffed which puts pressure on other staff.
Unrealistic expectations with too many duties with limited time; taking time and focus away from the most important thing= excellent customer service.
Senior mgmt. doesn't provide support and Human Resources is quite frankly; unsupportive and cold.
Morale is very, very low in branches. There is a major lack of communication
Lots of turnover
Pay scale is quite low
Sad, because they have the best employees!
Pros
training, great co- wogranted good resume builder
Cons
low pay, bad communication, employees taken for granted, 401k and other benefits mediocre at best
An organization where you can both learn and contribute.
Senior Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Westport, CTMay 9, 2012
Peoples emphasizes collaboration between managers and employees. Employees are coached, mentored and actively encouraged to take on new responsibilities and progress in their careers. Understand bank-wide products, services and operation processes, I am able to grow daily. Ensure sound and efficient operations by monitoring differences, cash items and appropriate reports. I monitor all my activities such as cash levels, supplies, inventory, balancing: including ATM’s in compliance with the bank’s policies and procedures, but most of all producing the best possible customer experience for each individual. The hardest part of the job is obtaining referrals from Customer service associates and producing sales results, because some of the leads are not reliable.
benefits
Cons
pay rate