PEORIA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

Amazing district filled with amazing people!
K-4 General Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJune 6, 2016
Both growing up in the district and getting the opportunity to work with them as well was always a wonderful experience. I was always greeted by amazing coworkers upon entry and always had people to talk to during the long days. My kids were always so amazing and over the summers I would miss them dearly.

Of course being a teacher you should expect to put in the extra hours that are not on your typical schedule. Coming in early and leaving home late while creating lesson plans over the weekend just seems like normal after a point in time.

I would highly recommend giving Peoria Unified School District a look at if you're considering teaching.
Great school district but low pay
Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZMay 22, 2015
I worked for the Peoria Unified School District since moving to Arizona in 2007. I was attracted to their A rating as a district in the state and their support of the Arts. It is a great district which continues to evolve and improve with the changes in technology. They recently updated all of the teacher workstations to tablets which is great! I am sad though to learn that they are one of the lowest paid districts in the state. I think they should remain competitive with other districts salary wise to maintain their good teachers. I myself am leaving for a career change for more pay. I would recommend them as an employer as they will do whatever they can to make sure their employees are supported.
Very Rewarding Place to Work!
Teacher, Vistancia Elementary School (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJuly 1, 2015
Each day is different. You never know what it will bring. I fully enjoy my work environment and my colleagues. The hardest part of the job is there is never enough hours in the day. There is always something more you would like to teach or add on to your lesson. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is that is it so rewarding to see your students succeed and learn. It is that Ah Ha moment when they get it.
Pros
Very Rewarding!
Cons
Low Salary.
Stable enjoyable work place
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZFebruary 19, 2016
I enjoyed my time working for this company, in fact it was one of the best jobs I've had. However, it was only part time and could not support me what so ever, I ended up getting a second job and then quitting because I found one job that gave me up to 40 hours a week. This job is perfect if you're just looking to make a little bit of cash, but it's not something I would devote my life to.
Pros
Free lunch, good people, relatively easy work, time off
Cons
bad hours, bad pay, no pay during summer/breaks
good division of responsibilities, good training, fun co-workers
Food Service Asst (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJune 4, 2016
Did food prep, served grade school kids lunch, clean up of kitchen and prepare for next day. Good, fun co-workers. Training went smooth and prepared one to do job and be able to move upwards.
Pros
co-workers, free food, school schedule hours
Cons
hot work area often
Great internship
Graphic Design Internship (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZMay 20, 2016
The internship I had as part of the Peoria Unified School District's program, and I certainly learned a great deal from it.
Pros
Learning experience
Excellent
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZMarch 15, 2016
The hours were wonderful. Great co-workers. The School I worked at was very close to my house. I learned that it takes a lot of time and hard work to keep a business clean, sanitary, and in order. From fixing, setting up graduations, and cleaning not a moment was spared.
Pros
hours
Cons
non applicable
Good Workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZApril 26, 2016
Enjoy working here, Still employed here and PUSD is a great school district who goes above and beyond for their teachers.
Great working environment
High School Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 12, 2016
The school district is great. Students are well behaved. Enjoyed collaborating with other teachers. Good working environment for kids and teachers.
Excellent District to work in.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJanuary 6, 2016
The organization is set up so that substitute teachers can create their own schedules by simply viewing a schedule of available jobs and applying.

Want to know more about PEORIA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT?

Ask a question
Public School District
Foreman / Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 27, 2012
Well organized shop with all necessary tools and equipment to perform duties properly and safely.
Pros
benefits adn holidays
Cons
low wages
Public Education District
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZMarch 4, 2014
Strong district in the West Valley. Has many opportunities for students who attend school in the PUSD.
Pros
schedule (school year)
Cons
low salary
Great training for employees and focused on student growth
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJanuary 26, 2015
The typical day for a substitute teacher is basically following the lesson plan for the day and executing policies and procedures set forth by the district. I have learned that students have different learning patterns. Management and co-workers are always fantastic and answer any questions I may have. The hardest part of the job is ensuring student understanding of a given topic. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction you get from serving others.
Pros
pick and choose the jobs you want
Cons
travel time to get to schools
Passion for making a difference and this is where it's at.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ArizonaJanuary 12, 2015
Prepare and align lessons daily for students.
Current on discipline.
Classroom or campus management.
Practicing safety procedures.
Have a wonderful team and great support staff.
Love data driven work
Pros
work, life balance
Cons
advancement opportunity limited
Enjoyable Experience
Teacher and Coach (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 28, 2015
A typical work day included working with students in the classroom and collaborating with my co-workers in regards to setting up a positive learning environment. Each day, I learned something new in regards to how to better motivate and teach the young people that I came in contact with. The administration was positive and very supportive of my work. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the look on the students faces when they were successful with a given task. At times, it was hard to get the students to believe that they could accomplish their task, but over time, they would realize that I was there to help them be the best that they could be in school as well as in life.
Pros
working with students and co-workers.
Cons
healthcare
Lots of opportunity
Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZAugust 10, 2015
Since Peoria Unified School District is such a large district there is a lot of opportunity for growth. Good professional development.
Teaching can be Frustrating
Certified Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJune 3, 2015
A typical day would include teaching 7-8th graders mathematics. co-workers were great however managements was inconsistent.
Pros
Job will always be there
Cons
Inconsistent managers created frustrating environments.
Filling in for full-time employees at various schools
Substitute Custodian (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZFebruary 20, 2014
Assigned to different schools around the school district to clean different areas. Learned how to do the basic functions of a full-time custodian. Management was extremely helpful in keeping little down between assigned schools and was always reassuring. Co-workers changed with the school and allowed networking towards a full-time position. Hardest part was the down time between assignments. Most enjoyable part was being able to meet a lot of different people.
Love kids, and must love change.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZAugust 7, 2013
Kids are fun and challenging. Different rules for different schools is hard to keep up with. Constant change throughout the day. No training.
Pros
a good job for a parent with a college education who has school age kids, since it is during the hours the kids are in school, flexible in days you want to work.
Cons
as a substitute there is no training, since they assume you have a teaching degree or are in the process of getting one, to maximize being called for a job, one has to sing up to work multiple school sites, this results in different schools, time start is different, lunch breaks, prep, discipline at each school is different, everything is constant changing everyday.
Great memories with wonderful staff (we still meet monthly) and great students!
Spanish teacher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2013
My fondest professional memories as all four of my children attended Cactus High School while I worked there. I am still in contact with many of my past students and meet with the retired staff twice a month. We are truly family.

I was involved in the Spanish Club; Sponsored the Freshman class in Student Government; Sponsored the Hip Hop Team and volunteered tutoring our English Language Students.

Professional instruction time: 6:30 - 3:30 and after school involvement as a spectator to many sports and plays and musical events.
Pros
relationships
Cons
i would only say the con is that it is only a memory now. :)

4.3