Pepperdine University Employee Reviews in United States

Terrible, racist, closed minded place to be
Student (Former Employee) –  MalibuJune 20, 2016
This "Christian" establishment is hypocritical of its values in everyday life while formally enforcing its beliefs on everyone in its community. I have both witnessed and endured discrimination at this establishment.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
Everything else
Ocean View
Building Trades (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAJune 10, 2016
My typical day involved minor repairs and maintenance of campus facilities. The tasks were usually not too difficult. The volume of work was enormous.

I learned a considerable amount about building engineering through my years at the college.

Regretfully I found management buried under a mountain of bureaucracy and a budget that continuously was out of funds.
It was demoralizing.

Most of my co-workers were hard working, decent people doing their best to get the job done.

The hardest part of my job was not the skills involved. The campus is all hills and stairs and parking near one's work area is a challenge at best. Plan on doing a considerable amount of walking and climbing.
If you have any physical disabilities, this probably is not a good place to work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the natural setting surrounding the campus. Beautiful!
Pros
It's Malibu!
Cons
Top heavy. Horrible Traffic.
You Can Do So Much Better.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAJune 5, 2016
It's hit or miss here. It depends on which department you work in. It you are white collar, its ok here.

Other departments are iffy. Some are awful. The shift hours are unpredictable. The pay rate is poor. No place for a family person.

Belonging to the Church of Christ or being an alumni of the school is definitely a bonus.

The campus landscape is beautiful and the ocean is close by. It gets quite hot here during the summer.

The campus location can be a traffic nightmare. So often there are canyon road closures due to car accidents, brush fires, and landslides. If you commute from L.A, you will absolutely hate the commute home.

I have met several nice people here who are like my second family.

Most of the young employees eventually move on to greener pastures.

Overall, I cannot recommend this university as a place for long term employment.
Pros
The friends you will make.
Cons
Disappointment on a daily basis.
A "loving" work environment
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CA & Encino, CAJanuary 24, 2016
I don't know if it is just a good place or whether it is the Christian principles honestly and sincerely applied to daily interactions, but Pepperdine University is a satisfying and psychologically rich work place.
I am only a part-time instructor, and therefore not privy to all the details of daily work, but the Department leadership has been generous (in terms of providing adequate remuneration) and inclusive (invitation to join staff meetings even though I do not qualify as a voting member or have to abide by all the requirements of the full time faculty).
Pros
Good folks to work with, to have as students. Makes teaching FUN!
Great community and school
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2016
The people I work with are so passionate about Pepperdine's values of "purpose, service, and leadership." I love going to work because I know that my day's tasks will further our mission and help grow the Pepperdine community. It is also very easy going in to the office when all of your co-workers are kind, enthusiastic, and dedicated souls.
good place to work
kitchen equipment and appliances Technician (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CADecember 10, 2015
maintenance and repair kitchen equipment and refrigeration order parts supervise less skilled technicians new installations troubleshoot and repair electrical mechanical and refrigeration equipments
Pros
good salary benefits
Cons
no advancement oportunityes
Fun work place with amazing employees and management
Assignments and Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CANovember 15, 2015
I love this place! A typical day was answering phones, creating student housing assignments, answering emails, and managing the housing database. Management was amazing. They really cared about your wellbeing in and out of the office. Co-workers were more like family than co-workers. The hardest part was assigning housing to 2000 plus students. The most enjoyable part was serving students and parents.
Pros
Free Lunches, Benefits, and co-workers
Cons
Creative and administrative leadership opportunity
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CANovember 13, 2015
In my role as a research assistant, I regularly coordinate research events, analyze data collection, contribute ideas for publication, and interact with Pepperdine University faculty, staff, and alumni.
Just teaching as Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CANovember 2, 2015
I used to teach Global Economics, Managerial Economics, Financial Management, and International Finance in the capacity of Adjunct Professor. My students were mostly "Senior" and in the final year of graduation. Beside the adoptive academical books, I had my own handouts for additional relevant subjects to teach.
It is what it is
Graduate Program Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAOctober 20, 2015
There isn't much balance, especially if you're a student on scholarship. Rate of pay isn't proportional to the actual work itself. Overworked and underpaid. Not much else to say.
LOW PAYING; Not a place for long term career
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CASeptember 30, 2015
Double standards; undeserved promotions for some; undeserved appraisals for some; prejudices and favoritism in upper management. Hard working and loyal employees are not appreciated nor are they rewarded. VERY LOW EMPLOYEE MORAL!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
No overtime pay; long work days; lack of management support
Typical Day
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  DDSAugust 28, 2015
On any given day one can expect to be busy. Very busy because a variety of things can happen on campus. Anything from a broken HVAC unit to and electrical surge which causes any computer work to stop. One can come to work and expect to accomplish A, B and C and in an instant be directed to a new contract needing signatures asap to calling about invoice discrepancies.
Pros
Never the same day twice.
Cons
Nothing!
Pepperdine University was a professional workplace that allowed me to utilize my writing skills in a positive, fast-paced environment.
Advancement Writer (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAAugust 24, 2015
My job at Pepperdine University, where I composed and produced letters for the president and vice president, required a great deal of research on the University's major donors. I enjoyed getting to know and interview many of them.

Pepperdine was a great place to work, with a diverse group of people and students. Our mission was to prepare students for lives of purpose, service, and leadership. I was grateful for the Christian mission of the University and the caring, optimistic atmosphere.

Wherever I work, I hope to take this same optimism and positive attitude of service with me.
Pros
Friendliness, working with students, accessibility to educational opportunities and the arts.
Cons
Expectation to attend social events and long lectures and ceremonies.
Pepperdine University is a wonderful place to work
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAAugust 19, 2015
I really enjoyed my time employed with Pepperdine University. My colleagues were wonderful and my position was challenging enough to allow me to continue to grow.
Pros
Caliber of Academics
Great Place to Work
Graduate Programming Advisor (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAJuly 2, 2015
Management of interns, constant contact with students, alot of programming of events. The most enjoyable part of the job was mentoring the students.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
Unpredictable Hours
Awesome University!!!
Graduate Assistant for GSEP Associate Deans Office (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2015
Great management team, productive yet relaxed environment. Good place to work if you are also a student at the university. Nice perks!
Loved it!
Adjunct Faculty Professor (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAJune 11, 2015
I taught a required class for incoming freshman called, "Health & Lifestyles." I loved it. The class was designed to educate students about exercise, nutrition, healthy stress management and how to establish healthy life long habits and behaviors. This class was educational and experiential. It was right up my alley. I am a teacher at heart.
engaging
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAApril 29, 2015
An engaging employer for whom to work. To be part of teaching the next generation of clinicians provides a sense of legacy, accomplishment and personal satisfaction
Interesting place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAMarch 12, 2015
A fast paced work environment and dealing with changes in the higher Ed field. Domestic campuses spread out throughout California and international campuses too.
Work environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Malibu CampusMarch 2, 2015
My coworkers are great, hours are are good, location is great, but the hardest part of this job is getting time off. a Typical day starts at eight and ends at 5:00, except for the beginning of the semesters.
Pros
regular work schedule
Cons
some, do not wish to list

Pepperdine University Reviews by Location