Pepperdine University Employee Reviews

Pretty on the Surface
Blue Collar Tradesman (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAMay 25, 2017
My opinion as a former employee is of mixed emotions.
The campus is maintained beautifully by the landscape department. Unfortunately most tradesman jobs are dead end jobs. As a tradesman you will not be respected by management. You will be kept on a tight rope and do not step out of line.
Pros
Nice late afternoon sunsets
Cons
Watch Your Back!
Excellent training opportunity for those interested in becoming educators or working with children
Jumpstart Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAMay 3, 2017
In a typical workday, my team would carpool from Pepperdine to Los Angeles where we assisted teachers at a local preschool for low-income families. Once we arrived, we each led a group of around five or six students reading to them and teaching them new vocabulary words. Afterwards, we gathered everyone to perform songs and dances and transitioned into center time. Over the course of one school year, I taught my group of students their shapes, primary and secondary colors, and how to spell and write their name.
Pros
Stipend
Cons
Large time commitment
Fantastic work in higher education
International Programs Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAMay 1, 2017
I learned so many things about logistics and coordinating students' travel overseas and giving them the best start toward an experience of a lifetime.
N/a
Procurement & Contracts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAApril 12, 2017
I love the 10 years working at Pepperdine. I made a lot of new friends. I learned the systems PeopleSoft and with that I was able to become the Finance (purchasing) trainer for the system. My day was processing purchase orders and review contracts for compliance and cost savings.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
N/a
Great atmosphere
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAApril 12, 2017
Loved working here. Enjoyed it. Worked there for years and loved every minute of it. Great atmosphere. Enjoyed the flexible hours and casual dress. Would defintely work there again.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 9, 2017
Wonderful academic environment. No micromanaging, you teach in an area you are passionate about,and spend time with students. It's a very rewarding work environment.
productive
Staff Writer/ Assistant News Editor (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAJanuary 23, 2017
very training-intensive. With both jobs I have at Pepperdine University, I find that I am constantly being pushed to grow and learn new things in a professional, hard-working environment.
A great stepping stone for IT career seekers
IT Support Tech (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 7, 2016
Working at pepperdine IT services was a wonderful stepping stone toward a career in information technology and associated services. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly and laid the foundation for advancement and further study in the field.
Productive and fun workplace
Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAOctober 23, 2016
Excellent clean place to work with kind knowledgable staff and managers located in the beautiful hills of Malibu California.
Fast past work environment with opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Distance
A fun place to work
Graduate Assistant to Career Services Office (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CASeptember 27, 2016
Students staffs are treated with respect. There is a good variety of work to choose from. The employer and co-workers are cool and friendly.
Pros
free gym and other facilities
Cons
not many food options
Welcoming, educational, fun work place with room for growth.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 22, 2016
The people here are religious as well as friendly and to me that is a plus. I learn something new daily and I love how there is room for growth. My co-workers push for you to go for your dreams and will support with just about anything positive you have in mind.
assist
Student Worker of IT Department (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAAugust 23, 2016
Help students in making their ID card.
Help teachers in connecting computers.
Help students in their computers.
Checking projector to ensure teachers can give classes successfully.
Terrible, racist, closed minded place to be
Student (Former Employee) –  MalibuJune 20, 2016
This "Christian" establishment is hypocritical of its values in everyday life while formally enforcing its beliefs on everyone in its community. I have both witnessed and endured discrimination at this establishment.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
Everything else
Ocean View
Building Trades (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAJune 10, 2016
My typical day involved minor repairs and maintenance of campus facilities. The tasks were usually not too difficult. The volume of work was enormous.

I learned a considerable amount about building engineering through my years at the college.

Regretfully I found management buried under a mountain of bureaucracy and a budget that continuously was out of funds.
It was demoralizing.

Most of my co-workers were hard working, decent people doing their best to get the job done.

The hardest part of my job was not the skills involved. The campus is all hills and stairs and parking near one's work area is a challenge at best. Plan on doing a considerable amount of walking and climbing.
If you have any physical disabilities, this probably is not a good place to work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the natural setting surrounding the campus. Beautiful!
Pros
It's Malibu!
Cons
Top heavy. Horrible Traffic.
You Can Do So Much Better.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAJune 5, 2016
It's hit or miss here. It depends on which department you work in. It you are white collar, its ok here.

Other departments are iffy. Some are awful. The shift hours are unpredictable. The pay rate is poor. No place for a family person.

Belonging to the Church of Christ or being an alumni of the school is definitely a bonus.

The campus landscape is beautiful and the ocean is close by. It gets quite hot here during the summer.

The campus location can be a traffic nightmare. So often there are canyon road closures due to car accidents, brush fires, and landslides. If you commute from L.A, you will absolutely hate the commute home.

I have met several nice people here who are like my second family.

Most of the young employees eventually move on to greener pastures.

Overall, I cannot recommend this university as a place for long term employment.
Pros
The friends you will make.
Cons
Disappointment on a daily basis.
Gorgeous views from campus
Accounts Payable Invoice Analyst (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAMarch 25, 2016
I've enjoyed coming out here every day for the last 30 yrs. My co workers are a blast to work with and I've met a lot of great people my years at Pepperdine. My work days are usually quiet and I'm able to perform my duties without much tress and in a timely manner.
The hardest pat of the job, is year end balancing and being sure to enter funds in the correct budget year. It's quite stressful in August and September. There is an enjoyable part getting to meet then new students and participating in activities they have thru the year on campus.
A "loving" work environment
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CA & Encino, CAJanuary 24, 2016
I don't know if it is just a good place or whether it is the Christian principles honestly and sincerely applied to daily interactions, but Pepperdine University is a satisfying and psychologically rich work place.
I am only a part-time instructor, and therefore not privy to all the details of daily work, but the Department leadership has been generous (in terms of providing adequate remuneration) and inclusive (invitation to join staff meetings even though I do not qualify as a voting member or have to abide by all the requirements of the full time faculty).
Pros
Good folks to work with, to have as students. Makes teaching FUN!
Great community and school
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2016
The people I work with are so passionate about Pepperdine's values of "purpose, service, and leadership." I love going to work because I know that my day's tasks will further our mission and help grow the Pepperdine community. It is also very easy going in to the office when all of your co-workers are kind, enthusiastic, and dedicated souls.
good place to work
kitchen equipment and appliances Technician (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CADecember 10, 2015
maintenance and repair kitchen equipment and refrigeration order parts supervise less skilled technicians new installations troubleshoot and repair electrical mechanical and refrigeration equipments
Pros
good salary benefits
Cons
no advancement oportunityes
Fun work place with amazing employees and management
Assignments and Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CANovember 15, 2015
I love this place! A typical day was answering phones, creating student housing assignments, answering emails, and managing the housing database. Management was amazing. They really cared about your wellbeing in and out of the office. Co-workers were more like family than co-workers. The hardest part was assigning housing to 2000 plus students. The most enjoyable part was serving students and parents.
Pros
Free Lunches, Benefits, and co-workers
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pepperdine University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2