Pepsi Bottling Group
1,060 reviews

Pepsi Bottling Group Employer Reviews

It's a decent paying blue collar job but also very stressful. You have been warned.
Merchandiser (Current Employee), New YorkAugust 6, 2014
Pros: pays well for retail., full-time opportunities for those who want it., benefits for full-timers., a job that pays well for people with no schooling.
Cons: lack of communication., young, out of touch management., physically demanding schedule., poor treatment by in store managers.
You go into a grocery store and often see people filling shelves that don't work for the supermarkets, they are vendors. On the outside surface, it might sound like a chill, laid back job where you get to work by yourself, not have to have a manager constantly over your shoulder, and you can work at your own pace. If you think that is the job description – more... of a merchandiser, you couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Merchandising is a job that is very difficult and stressful, especially for the soda companies. You usually have to start at 3 to 4 in the morning and have to service an average of 4-6 stores a day (if it's 4 stores, chances are one of them are huge). The difficult part is managing your time because one store could take you 4-6 hours if the salesmen orders 8 pallets that you have to work by yourself with no help. By the time you get to the later stores, you'll be screamed at that you took too long but little did they know you just serviced many stores already and only have two hands.

For Pepsi, management is also a problem and there's a pretty simple answer on why there's such a problem. Most of your managers are young, 20 somethings, who may have a college degree but basically no idea on what your job entails because they never had to do the job themselves and they have almost no managing experience. This company thinks they can give someone an internship and then instantly give them a management title such as Territory Sales Manager. You got these TSMs managing the Salesmen and Merchandisers who have worked for the company for decades. You think that's right? I sure don't.

I believe most companies need managers with many years of experience or those who have worked for the company from the bottom up and have risen through the ranks. It may sound like I am a bit bitter because of their young age but the truth is they virtually have no idea on how your job is done and how hard you have to work. They just walk into a store and expect it to look perfect without any regard of how much time you had through out the day, how little or too much the Salesmen ordered, or what the in-store managers wanted. If you have a problem in the store, go to the grocery managers there. It's not how the TSM want you to do the job, it's about how the in-store managers want you to service the store. The TSM's need to get that through their heads because their way may not be the way the in-store managers want it done.

Of course it's not Pepsi management that's all bad. Some grocery managers can be absolutely unpleasant people to deal with. That's the nature of retail workers/management. Some are miserable people who hate their job so they take it out on you. They constantly ride you and call your bosses if you aren't perfect or make one small mistake. Having to worry about being called by them on a daily basis makes this job stressful to no end.

My final advise is for people to carefully understand what they are getting into because this job is no picnic. I would say it's not a bad part-time gig because there's much less things you have to deal with if you are part-time. The pay for part-time work is not bad. But be aware that if you go full-time, be prepared with the burden of having to answer to 5-10 people a day and being on the phone with management all the time. – less
Dailey Routine
Lead Tech (Current Employee), Nashville sales Nashville TN.August 6, 2014
In a typical day I am the parts person, receiving and posting parts, checking invoices against work orders.Correcting inventory in parts room.Keeping shop supplies for other Techs at work stations for daily useage. Going after units from outside vendors.Placeing units in shop trailers for detail touch up.Repairing ,OTR trucks, forklifts ,pallet jacks,changing – more... tires ,making road calls,admidstrative fileing, intercepting and working through break downs,changing tires,watering batteries for pallet riders,p/m on what ever is due by hours ,or milage,answering phone and refree hot tempers on some ocasions. But mostly Lead Man snd running the dailey routine of a fleet shop. – less
just was good place to work pepsi was like a second family atmosphere everyone came together when needed
swingman (Former Employee), Lake City, FLAugust 3, 2014
Pros: pepsi events christmas parties going to nascar
Cons: didnt really have any
I never knew what I was going to be doing for that day learn how to run a route rotate stock ect. management was very supportive co workers good to work with the hardest part of the job was most of the time you never knew where you were going or doing for that day most people don't like being a swingman because of that but that position fit me best – more... the enjoyable about the job was just being there being needed for help when needed working special events on weekends and representing pepsi cola – less
You're just a door mat
Driver Merchandiser (Former Employee), Pleasant Prairie, WIAugust 3, 2014
Pros: other drivers are cool.
Cons: you're just a door mat
Way, way, way, way, way, way, way......way too much merchandising! Store managers expect you to do all the work in the messy/trashed coolers. Pepsi management will treat you like dirt. Sales reps are lazy, don't do what they are supposed to and will try to get you in trouble/written up every chance. Insurance is decent, BCBS, you will need it to get – more... those back problems fixed.

BTW, DID I MENTION WAY TOO MUCH MERCHANDISING? – less
It's a good job.
General Operations (Current Employee), MissouriAugust 2, 2014
Pros: driving a forklift, nice pay checks, good benefits, the people
Cons: working in the heat and cold and constant lifting
A typical work day is lifting case after case after case of soda and a bunch of other stuff pepsi distributes, loading that stuff onto a massive pallet and then loading the pallet onto a truck.
I got a forklift certification on my 2nd day there so that's always a good thing to have if you ever decide to look for another job.
Management is fine. I don't – more... have any complaints.
The people that work there are all pretty laid back.
The hardest part of the job is the constant lifting, but after a couple of months, you get used to it and it isn't so bad.
The most enjoyable part of the job is, of course, getting that nice pay check at the end of the week. – less
over worked under paid
sales account manager (Former Employee), twinsburgh ohioAugust 1, 2014
Pros: meet great people in my accts
Cons: no help more workload.no raise and lost money every year
Worked like a slave with no help on running my roure.was t here for 13 yrs ane jus walked away it was so bad.do more work for less pay every year.if you were not in the click you never got promoted or any help.management was corrupt and played f avorites to their friends.
Good work environment
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee), Buena Park, CAJuly 31, 2014
Assemble product in a timely manner, load and unload trailer's, inventory control, operate forklifts and pallet jacks.
Full time work.
Driver/Labor (Former Employee), Latham, NYJuly 31, 2014
Pros: big pay checks
Cons: no life
Alot of money to be made, however at the cost of no life.............................................................................
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 30, 2014
Pros: planning admin week food and cook-out. running errands for my boss.
Cons: i didnt take any breaks.
A typical day at Pepsi. Jumping in full force when arriving there in the morning and going full force all day. It was very interesting and the day went by fast. I learned alot about the beverage industry from when I first started and as I worked my way up. Its a fast paced industry with lots of important number's of how much of each flavor product that – more... sold each day. The sales department management style was very hands on. My co-works were great to get along with as well as team players and most of them had been with pepsi for 10 years+ so they knew there jobs very well and were very good at muti tasking. There was no hard part to my job as I had been there 10 years so I knew what needed done and got my boss everything he needed to get answers to his boss. The most enjoyable part of my job were the people and also to be able to say that I work for Pepsi Bottling Group. – less
na
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Lima, OHJuly 28, 2014
Pros: flexible hours.
Cons: working holidays and weekends.
Pepsi is a place that is flexible with hours for students. Pays well for the work you do.
Poor morale.
Full Service Sales/Delivery Driver (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 27, 2014
Pros: benefits.
Cons: union dues.
Poor place to work and seek advancement. Since new union contract was signed many people who have worked there for many years have quit and moved on. Wages are low and work is tough for the salary.
Great Place To Work For The First Six Years
Large Format Sales Representative (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 27, 2014
Pros: highest pay i have earned thus far
Cons: long hours
A typical day of work consisted of merchandising and ordering product. I also built product displays. I learned how to merchandize, order product with a handheld computer, how to sell in extra displays. I worked for 6 different managers during my time there and 5 were great! In fact, I still have 3 of them as my key references. The hardest part of the – more... job was the long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things. – less
GREAT PLACE TO WORK FOR
STOCK PERSON (Former Employee), DAYTON, OHIOJuly 26, 2014
PEPSI COLA IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK FOR . YOU HAVE THE FREEDOM OF BEING OUT IN THE PUBLIC AND WORKING AT YOUR OWN PACE.
Great Company!
Merchandiser (Former Employee), San Fernando Valley, CAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: working on my own and being in a self managed role was very convenient.
Cons: i was a merchandiser so i drove all over all day long. many miles on my old car.
Pepsi is a very smart company. They own and operate a lot more beverages and smaller snack companies than just soda. I was unaware of this at the beginning but quickly learned that there business model is quite successful.
Good Company to work for
Refurb Manager (Former Employee), Lakeland, FLJuly 21, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: sometimes individuals get lost in the crowd of such a large corporation
Positive fast paced and competitive environment
Supportive internal advancement, I continually advanced for 28 years.

Developed the following area's of expertise:
Organizational Leadership
Strategic Planning
Tactical Execution
Cost Control
Continuous Process Improvement
Customer Relationship Management
PepsiCo review
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 18, 2014
I truly enjoyed my work with PepsiCo. Leading a team to improve performance is very rewarding.
Image driven compan
Supply Chain Supervisor (Current Employee), Denver, CoJuly 17, 2014
Pros: great health benefits, tuition reimbursement, 401k match
Cons: no work/life balance and subpar pay
95% Sales organization 5% operations. If you fall into the 5% category you need to find another career. The company is too focused on its image.
Great job
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJuly 16, 2014
I loved working here. I had a great boss that was always supportive. It is too bad we were down-sized due to the merger. The experience gained here really caused my career to take off. If Pepsi is on the resume, you are set for life.
Physical work that can be appreciated
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJuly 15, 2014
Not somewhere I would recommend anywhere to work. They are very uncaring of employee needs and requests. Really enjoyed the fast paced, physical part of the job.
Fast Paced Company
Assistant (Former Employee), MichiganJuly 13, 2014
Pros: employee programs
Cons: advancement
Fast paced company, everyday is a new day. Learn alot about sales knowledge. There was limited opportunity for advancement. Employee events are always top notch,

About Pepsi Bottling Group

The Pepsi Bottling Group, Inc. (PBG) is a wholly owned subsidiary of PepsiCo, Inc. PBG operates carbonated soft drinks and other – Read more

Pepsi Bottling Group Photos