Peralta Community College District

Peralta Community College District Employee Reviews

Customer service
Peer advisor/Secretary II (Former Employee), Oakland, CAApril 28, 2015
Very good company to retire with. Great benefit and investment plans. Can be seasonal..Community College system so you will meet all kinds of people.
Culture of the campus
Financial Aid Supervisor/Student Disputes (Current Employee), Merritt CollegeMarch 29, 2015
Pros: We offer a variety of program services and degrees.
Cons: The high turn over in administration.
On a typical day it is enjoyable, working with students and assisting them with navigating the college environment. I am a transformational leader in my mind, and i manage from a collective team approach and shared governance. I learned that we have to recognize and celebrate small wins with staff and with students. It is important to role model behavior of positive reinforcement. My co-workers are majority women from diverse cultural back grounds, each of them with unique personalities. This is a strength that contributes to the department. We do not alway see eye- to -eye but we manage to always walk away in a positive manner.

The hardest part of my job is having to disqualify a student from receiving financial aid, students need resources to be successful in college so this effects me on a personal level sometimes because i know how it feels to not have enough resources to help you while you are in school.

What is the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students and assisting them through the college scene. Seeing students accomplish what they started in addition looking for solutions on a regular basis that will improve the services we offer.
Great public institution
Instructor (Former Employee), OaklandJuly 24, 2013
Pros: diversity
Cons: the organizations culture
The culture must be changed in order to attract great people to commit to the college.
Fun place to teach if education is your passion.
Bilingual Student Tutor (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJune 3, 2013
Pros: fun learning environments. easy schedules. great for students.
A typical day at work consisted of sitting in a classroom during a regularly scheduled class session & aiding the teacher with organization, teaching, language barriers, presentations, and in class assignments. I learned to be very well rounded and patient through the understanding that not all people learn the same way. Management was very easy to work with and fun to talk to. My co-workers always had fun teaching and nothing was ever to hard for any of us to do.
Sense of teamwork between co-workers, better for full-timers
Faculty (Current Employee), Oakland, CAFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: friendly co-workers, motivated students.
Cons: job insecurity, must work elsewhere also
I have always been part-time so there is no security (or vacation pay)
and two years ago with the community college budget cuts I lost half of my work load. (That's the hardest part of the job.) I have great co-workers, especially two people over me) who have helped the whole department implement new procedures. I'm a teacher; the most enjoyable part is teaching!
Great work place a great place for education adavancement
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Oakland, CAOctober 17, 2012
Pros: i received alot of educational information before the students and there was free food.
Cons: it was temoprary work.
A typical day at work would be answering phone calls greeting students and staff making copies and faxing and other task as instructed. I learned the value of being a team player and how to pick up extra task to stay ahead. Coworkers were always friendly and very helpful. The most enjoyable part was working with alot of different people learning and acomplishing the job at the end of each work day.
High energy work environment. Temporary assignment.
Food Service Worker, Culinary Dept (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJuly 25, 2012
Pros: meals were comped
Cons: i wasn't a permanent employee, so i wasnt in the union..
My duties varied across the board,from making coffee for meetings, ordering supplies and product for retail sale. Serving food off hot line, cashiering etc..