Peralta Community College District Employee Reviews in United States

Great team of workers, fun, caring, busy place, excellent pay!
STAFF ASSISTANT (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day included lots of assisting people visiting the office, lots of emails to reply to and phone calls. Busy and productive day multitasking and prioritizing tasks and sudden changes.

I learned the duties of providing/creating employee workers' compensation claims and communicating insurance policies and guidelines to assist the injured employee. I learned to do the duties and tasks of providing Haze Mat claims and disposals of medical waste and dangerous materials. I learned many new tasks. I greet each customer with top rated services and managed to solve their problems in a timely manner.

My co-workers were great in training me and directing me to resources and people to contact. We had employee activities and holiday party.

I enjoyed ever aspect of the job and it was hard to leave after the temporary assignment ended.
Pros
Free lunch during training meetings
Cons
Getting paid one time a month. Its a long wait!
Application Software Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 16, 2015
15+ years of experience in analysis, design, development and implementation of Higher Education ERP system and Commercial applications with SQL Server, PeopleSoft 8.9 & 9.0 and Datatel Colleague system will add value to the efficient way of development, support of application software’s with maintaining the technical and user documentation.
Great Place
Financial Aid Specialist College (Former Employee) –  ALAMEDAApril 29, 2015
If your interesting in working with people and shaping their lives, a career in education or educational services is a great place to start.
Cons
Fun place to teach if education is your passion.
Bilingual Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 3, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of sitting in a classroom during a regularly scheduled class session & aiding the teacher with organization, teaching, language barriers, presentations, and in class assignments. I learned to be very well rounded and patient through the understanding that not all people learn the same way. Management was very easy to work with and fun to talk to. My co-workers always had fun teaching and nothing was ever to hard for any of us to do.
Pros
fun learning environments. easy schedules. great for students.
Culture of the campus
Financial Aid Supervisor/Student Disputes (Current Employee) –  Merritt CollegeMarch 29, 2015
On a typical day it is enjoyable, working with students and assisting them with navigating the college environment. I am a transformational leader in my mind, and i manage from a collective team approach and shared governance. I learned that we have to recognize and celebrate small wins with staff and with students. It is important to role model behavior of positive reinforcement. My co-workers are majority women from diverse cultural back grounds, each of them with unique personalities. This is a strength that contributes to the department. We do not alway see eye- to -eye but we manage to always walk away in a positive manner.

The hardest part of my job is having to disqualify a student from receiving financial aid, students need resources to be successful in college so this effects me on a personal level sometimes because i know how it feels to not have enough resources to help you while you are in school.

What is the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students and assisting them through the college scene. Seeing students accomplish what they started in addition looking for solutions on a regular basis that will improve the services we offer.
Pros
We offer a variety of program services and degrees.
Cons
The high turn over in administration.
Customer service
Peer advisor/Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 28, 2015
Very good company to retire with. Great benefit and investment plans. Can be seasonal..Community College system so you will meet all kinds of people.
Great work place a great place for education adavancement
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 17, 2012
A typical day at work would be answering phone calls greeting students and staff making copies and faxing and other task as instructed. I learned the value of being a team player and how to pick up extra task to stay ahead. Coworkers were always friendly and very helpful. The most enjoyable part was working with alot of different people learning and acomplishing the job at the end of each work day.
Pros
i received alot of educational information before the students and there was free food.
Cons
it was temoprary work.
Sense of teamwork between co-workers, better for full-timers
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 24, 2013
I have always been part-time so there is no security (or vacation pay)
and two years ago with the community college budget cuts I lost half of my work load. (That's the hardest part of the job.) I have great co-workers, especially two people over me) who have helped the whole department implement new procedures. I'm a teacher; the most enjoyable part is teaching!
Pros
friendly co-workers, motivated students.
Cons
job insecurity, must work elsewhere also
High energy work environment. Temporary assignment.
Food Service Worker, Culinary Dept (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 25, 2012
My duties varied across the board,from making coffee for meetings, ordering supplies and product for retail sale. Serving food off hot line, cashiering etc..
Pros
meals were comped
Cons
i wasn't a permanent employee, so i wasnt in the union..
Great public institution
Instructor (Former Employee) –  OaklandJuly 24, 2013
The culture must be changed in order to attract great people to commit to the college.
Pros
diversity
Cons
the organizations culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peralta Community College District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6