Performance Food Service Employee Reviews

Fast paced, ever growing facility
Procurement/Buyer (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYOctober 5, 2015
My main responsibility is the daily review of constantly changing stock statuses on thousands of non-perishable items and builds/submit purchase orders to cover said movement over an extended period of time. Through this experience, I have learned self management skills as well as excellent communication skills. The most difficult portion of this position is attempting to anticipate future market needs and have all product on had to satisfy that ever fluctuating need properly. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction and support provided by my coworkers. The procurement department is not a place for those that can handle little pressure, having an "in-house" support team is imperative.
Pros
Close to home, reduced pricing on food
Cons
Extensive working hours
Awesome! company!
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  ARAugust 11, 2015
Great company! Really enjoyed working for them ! They were very great to learn from! Helped grown the business very well, wanted us to succeed and looked forward to the successes.
Great place to work.
Area Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 24, 2015
I'am a consultant for the restaurant business, I make sure that the client is profitable and has a very successful menu. I make sure to give menu ideas and updates on trendy menu items. I transmit orders and schedule deliveries. The client's success is my success.
Pros
To see the client growing his business...
Cons
Large territory to cover, lots of window time.
Bad Experience
delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMarch 14, 2015
Being a driver at PFG/IFH Florence was a very difficult experience. There was too much responisibility that was placed on the driver's shoulders. Loads are excessive and are expected to be unloaded within a certain time frame. The computer module training is excessive and some does not apply to a driver. In most cases, you have to do the modules during your free time at home. Some people being promoted for managerial positions are not qualified for the job...it is a buddy system in other words. Rules seem to change daily and do not follow the employee handbook. For example, rehiring drivers. I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Benefits
Cons
Hours and Management
Difficult place to work.
Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CaMarch 2, 2015
No team work between departments. Upper management out of touch with the day to day operation of the center and showed no desire to even attempt to learn. Always blaming others for their lack of competency.
Pros
Good compensation and benefiys
Cons
No home life. On call 24/7
Stable job
Full time employee (Current Employee) –  Oakwood, GAFebruary 10, 2015
Stability, but no room for growth. It's nice to have a set schedule. Some managers need management training or a back bone.
Pros
Hour breaks, set schedule, company picnics and sometimes food
Cons
like being in high school except you're getting paid...barely
The shared services center or BSC is more interested in the #'s than the people
Logistics Analyst, Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJanuary 21, 2015
I think the culture was driven by cost and not as a place to grow people. Perhaps its the nature of private equity investment running the show behind the scenes. Certain filings may change that but who knows. I did receive two promotions in my six years but continually asked for more training and never received any. This is because of the cost and forget the return on this investment. My impression is that management has a ton of ego and unwilling to collaborate with other divisions. Resentment between divisions was rampant and finding the greater good was not existent. I am grateful for my six years of training and experience. I did learn a lot but also I was looking for more of a mentor within the organization which never materialized.

I would say if you are happy being a clock puncher in your cube surrounded by drones and don't aspire for greater things this is a good place. The bonuses were almost insulting as were the raises.

I will keep in touch with nobody because of my view of this place as toxic.
Pros
Extensive Coffee Bar
Cons
Culture, Management, lack of talent, lack of vision
Warehouse loud buisy fast paced difficult to connect with fellow employees
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Henderson, CONovember 11, 2014
We started early continued on a fast pace all day, while my forklift was easy to handle some employees where rather difficult management was very reliable and forth coming in any questions or problems that occurred the hardest part was not quite enough hours ornemployees
Great benefits
Contract Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Victoria, TXJune 22, 2014
over the years I have learned a lot, lots of hard work, sometimes are very demanding
Pfg
Forklift Operator/Selector/Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJanuary 12, 2014
they worked you as a slave
12 13 hrs shifts.. really didn't enjoy working there.
Poor Management
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILDecember 7, 2013
As I was transitioning into the food distribution business from the automobile industry I had no experience. With that in mind the company increased my knowledge and allowed me to move to a better position. Lack of communication and addressing of concerns with management led me to leave this company as well as a lack of organization depleted my ability to work
Pros
Good for entry level sales in food industry
Cons
Poor management makes it difficult be a primary vendor
Hard place to keep accounts.
Volume food sales/sales rep. (Former Employee) –  Dover, FLAugust 10, 2013
I just got to the point of leaving because it was so hard to keep accounts due to deliverys and stock,inventory out of stocks.
Pros
Great pay when on track with sales
Cons
deliverys and to many out of stocks.
Great Company with Family feel
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2013
A great place to work with plenty of room for growth.

Very aggresive in the market.

Nice balance between work and life.
Pros
Opportunity
I enjoyed the freedom and ability to take ownership of my territory.
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXJuly 7, 2013
Long travel time and seeing many customers.
Further developed my skills in communication and sales.
Managed accounts and A/R
Great teamwork with co-workers.
Logistics and Out of Stocks.
Developing relationships with customers.
Pros
Being my own Boss in a way.
Cons
Demographics
Great place to work!
PRICING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 19, 2013
Great company to work for, good benefits and perks. Friendly environment, professional atmosphere and corporate culture.
Advancement is difficult and job security is non-existent.
Poor management, horrible hours and treated badly
Fleet Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXFebruary 23, 2013
Would work from early morning to late evening to satisfy the managers that wanted me there early and the ones who expected me there late. Was dismissed when improvement ideas were made or I voiced concerns. Was actually fired over one of those concerns depsite the fact that I was reapetedly denied when I bought forth solutions to those issues, later found out the guy who fired me was stealing from the company and fired himself. There is no amount of money in the world that could convince me to return to work there.
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
poor management, lack of focus and continious imprvement.
Good company to work for.
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Cairo, GAJuly 7, 2012
Performance Food Service is one of the top food distibutors in the United States. They are just not competitive and do not have the service required in my area.
Pros
always have promotions
Cons
only 2 deliveries per week
might be right for some but not me.
DRIVER SUPERVISOR AND ROUTER (Current Employee) –  New Windsor, MDMay 1, 2012
start my day at 11am
What I have learned I did on my own.
Iam the only one inside until the afternoon all other co workers are on the road other than that they are fine. Find management babies some of thier employees
Cons
have to work every holiday
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 13, 2012
Supportive management with a can do attitude.
Office staff stellar
Fun environment where every day was a new and exciting adventure.
One Performance Blvd Springfield, MA 01104 (Former Employee) –  Margin ManagerNovember 8, 2011
I loved working for PFG. Unfortunately with a new President comes a new administration. A new President brings in his people to take over many areas of the organization. This is the second time I have seen it done. However, the first time - I was not in management.
If it were not for that I would still be there and always thought that I would retire there. I was proud of PFG and proud to be a part of their success and proud to know that I was a part of that success.
Pros
full access gym and showers, food & coffee everywhere all the time, recognized hourly associates
Cons
needed more copiers

2.9