PerkinElmer Employee Reviews in United States

I am not happy with this co I have worked here for 12 years loved the co when it was Caliper life sciences.
Clean Room Inspector (Current Employee) –  Hopkinton, MAMay 23, 2016
I am not happy there, when the co was Caliper Life Sciences I was very happy, my work day is very hard I have learned to run some machines in cleanroom the management is not good they pick there fav!! my co-workers are nice and friendly, the hardest part of the job is the machines break down alot so there are some days you feel like you have not done much.
Pros
Cons
alot
It's a job
Customer-Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 12, 2016
It is not the Old PerkinElmer which you may have heard about. That was sold in 1999.
It is the new PerkinElmer. Keep your back against the wall.
Take what you can, give nothing back.
That is how you will be treated.
If asked anything agree. Your opinion will only get you into trouble.
They really don't care what you have to say. Just do what they ask.
Pros
Lunch-cellphone-car-gas dealing with customers problems.
Cons
Dealing with PerkinElmer
Review of normal work day
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Hopkinton, MAMarch 16, 2016
I'm usually the first one to arrive in our group. Prior to my arrival I do a quick assessment of things I need to do when I get there. This may include setting up the laboratory for upcoming experiments, printing/e-mailing any applicable materials to co-workers and customers, and/or analyzing previous data I've obtained through research projects. I've been with the company for 5 years and have had the same manager since day 1. I have a lot of respect for him because he is more of a mentor than boss to me. He has an open door policy that allows me to visit with him and talk about anything (work, life, etc.). The hardest part of the job is trying to fit everything in an 8 hour work day. Because of my many responsibilities it can be difficult at times to manage the deliverables I'm asked to complete. The most enjoyable part of the job is my ability to work on several projects that may or may not be related to one another.
Loved my work and boss, but I did not appreciate being laid off at someone's whim!
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COJanuary 20, 2016
No company morale at all. The company makes no attempt to unify their employees or the companies that they buy. Management is a very weak link. They have a high turnover and do not seem to care. They wreak havoc in people's lives with their quarterly layoff's, which are, from a business perspective EXTREMELY short sighted. They do not care about the effects of the layoff's on their customers either.
Pros
Good money & fair benefits.
Cons
Quarterly layoff's
management is weak technically, scientifically, morally
Sr. Director (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 2, 2016
Very high attrition, event the heads of HR could not take it... they went through 3 heads of HR in the past year, VP of sales left last June, VP of product development in October, VP R&D in December, another 20-30 people at various levels. The informatics leadership got rid of all the Asians from the management last year. Many inappropriate comments. Place is like the Russian aristocracy... Czarina and Rasputin... nasty swatzy politics...and Check out the linkedin profiles of management...Qualifications of top management: zero years technical experience (software or analytics), zero years domain (life science) experience and would have expected at least management training, none of them have it.
Most of the managers have no science or technical backgrounds so you will be stuck reporting to folks who have no clue and treat you poorly.
Pros
with such high attrition, they don't have layoffs
Cons
they have nothing that they have built internally, no expertise
Lab Support
Lab Admin (Former Employee) –  NYJanuary 22, 2016
Was hired to do lab support and ended up sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day writing change controls. PE only cares about the client company and not the consultant. Many promises but nothing came to light. Too many chiefs and not enough indians - poor management
Pros
It's a job
Cons
everything
People and practices
Distributon Associate (Current Employee) –  Shelton, CTFebruary 5, 2016
Excellent company culture. Good procedure flow, many outside activites to help the community Hours are good, advantage for overtime.
Pros
free coffee!
Cons
slow to go from temp. to perm.
Technologically challenging work environment
Principle Software Developer - Designer/Developer (Former Employee) –  Branford, CTNovember 19, 2015
Everything to do with Mass Spectrometers is technically challenging. I enjoyed every minute of my time there.

Flexible hours, VPN for home all made for an enjoyable atmosphere.
Pros
Technical Enviroment
Cons
Management didn't have a clue.
Be a cog in the corporate machine
Chemagen Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MASeptember 23, 2015
Largely about the numbers, be prepared to drown in a sea of reporting and metrics. Plenty of politics and red tape to get anything out of the ordinary accomplished. Overall, a great resume builder.
Pros
Good training available, education reimbursement
Cons
Liked the company overall, but it was disjointed, unclear on its mission and managed solely on a quarterly basis.
Enterprise Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 20, 2015
PE constantly acquires companies and as a result, has layoff's every quarter. So....in effect, everyone is subject to layoff every quarter. Management also set unreasonable goals for sales people, while also providing no RND, no application scientists and zero marketing.
Pros
One can work fairly independently.
Cons
Company is very short sited and does not plan and consider for the long term needs of their business, customers and employees.

Want to know more about PerkinElmer?

Ask a question
Perkin Elmer fast paced environment
Medical Billing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 14, 2015
My typical day at Perkin Elmer is fast paced workplace, as soon as i come in I read emails and faxes of information requested from the previous day to process claims and approve denials. information that I dont receive, I have to follow up with health insurance companies so we can meet our deadline.
Pros
friendly coworkers that help get the job done
Cons
short breaks
Excellent Employer
ONESOURCE ONSITE ADMINISTRATOR (Exelixis and Merck (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 18, 2015
I highly recommend PerkinElmer to anyone. It a very good company, community and working environment. They are very supportive in personal growth. Managers are very flexible to an empoyees needs.
Close to home with a friendly group to work with.
Engineering Electronic Technician (Current Employee) –  Branford, CTMay 30, 2015
I work closely with engineers and scientists daily with PCB board repairs and modifications, wiring, and testing of instruments.

Since the instruments I work on are subject to high voltage I was sent for IPC-7711/IPC-7721 certification.

The site where I work has had between 30 to 50 employees and are close nit and friendly. The managers, scientists, engineers and machine shop work well with each other.

The hardest time I have is towards the end of a project stage when everyone has priority jobs at the same time and I have to decide priorty.
Pros
Free coffee. located in a shaded area for lunch time walks.
Cons
Many extended meetings where people are not avaiable.
Great Team to work with and excellent Trainers.
Customer Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  San DiegoAugust 13, 2015
Focused on radiation detection and liquid handling instrumentation. Established great Customer Service relationships with various Biotech Companies in Southern California.
Great place to get experience.
EHS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 30, 2014
I had a lot of fun working here. Our department was great and the co-workers were a lot of fun. The pay, for the Boston area, was very low. Two years after I left, my pay had gone up over 50%! If you can get past the meager paycheck, it is a fun place to work.
Pros
Fun place to work, good vacation/PTO program
Cons
Low pay
PerkinElmer Technical Support
Technical support (Former Employee) –  HopkintonFebruary 19, 2014
The company is great and has many opportunities. The technical support group is focused on primarily supporting company technologies. I did not enjoy how the group was managed. There was significant levels of management for a small group which made it difficult to change and adapt. The managers would promote and retain based on personal criteria as opposed to who was qualified. As a result you would have technical support composed of PhD level scientists and high school graduates who were not necessarily qualified to support complex scientific products. I would recommend working with with this company if you can work in a different group.
Pros
flexibilty
Cons
poor management
Great company but typical corporate problems
Technical Trainer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 7, 2012
I like PerkinElmer (PKI) which is currently going through a structural realignment, but they are facing typical large-company corporate problems such as historical siloing, compartmentalization, etc. These issues are being addressed though with the size of the company and breadth of products lines will probably never be completely solved. This is typical of a large organization though.

Within my department there is great communication and I feel like a valued employee.
Pros
no micromanagement, free to organize my own projects
Cons
benefits are average, transitional changes as company evolves
An amazing job where I mix work with the pleasure of working with my friends
Technician III (Current Employee) –  Shelton, CTMay 18, 2012
I go every day to work happy, not only because I know many people from the company, also because I do something I do like. I have been working with my present company for over 15 years, and I was able to grow in my career, having a nice environment with excellent managers, who always motivated me to do be better person and to apply all the skills I have been learning day by day.
I can not complaint or see anything negative or hard from work.
Over managed
Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 30, 2013
No room for advancements. Managers are constantly trying to micromanage your job. You get reprimanded for the most mundane things while others do much, much worse things and get no type of reprimandations. If you aren't apart of the "good ole boys" club, then you will be fired. If you can kiss butt a lot and suck up, then you will do fine.
Pros
you get to make your own schedule
Cons
you can never work enough or do enough to satisfy management
Productive specimen receiving and accessioning.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYFebruary 28, 2013
Early started. Good flow rate, accessioning it can take only a few hours. I learned different procedures to handle serum and dry blood spots. Most of the time you report or work under close supervision. You are part of a group of no more than ten co-workers and can become attach. Must follow operational instructions closely and must not fail.
Pros
q's bonus
Cons
health insurace too expensive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PerkinElmer. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8