Perkins Restaurants & Bakery Employee Reviews

Productive, Fast paced work enviornment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NEJanuary 13, 2016
My typical day at work would be around a ten+ hour working shift. My shift would start by making sure everything in the kitchen is stocked and prepped well enough for our typical guest count for that day. Then I would count out a drawer for my cashier for that shift. Next I would make a list of side-work for my cooks and servers to finish before their shift is over. After all that was completed I would provide help wherever it was needed most in the restaurant at the time, for example if the servers were busy I would pick up open tables for them, or if the cooks needed help I would go back and help them cook or prep. I would provide help to my co-workers and assist customers on a as needed basis. At the end of my shift I would check to make sure all the side work for the day is completed, do temps on the line, and count the drawer and close down the restaurant.

I learned a lot at Perkins, I developed many leadership skills as well as social skills. I met lot's of interesting people at perkins and that being said not everyone got along. When employees were having problems they could come to me, as I had an "open door policy" with my employees meaning they could come to me, and our conversations would remain private, thus building trust and respect between employees and managent.

Management at Perkins was very important. With a 50+ item menu it was the duty as a manager to know the menu inside and out. It was hard for new (and some old) employees to remember everything on the menu. Management was as follows: General manager, Kitchen manager, and Shift leader shift leader
  more... being one step down from the general manager. The General manager worked with us as far as scheduling and encouraged his employees to work hard! We would have competitions at work some days, for something small ( Like who sells the most items from the bar on a Wednesday would get a $10 gift card to wal-mart) They were really neat people!

My coworkers worked hard at their jobs, The cooks especially. Everyone was friendly and got along well. We were like a family.

My hardest part of the job was having to watch over everybody and make sure customers were satisfied 100% of the time . I have learned that you can't please everybody and the customers ALWAYS come first.

The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to new people everyday! and putting smiles on their faces.I love interacting with new people.
Pros
Free food, Free Soda, Flexible Hours, Great co-workers lot's of hours
Cons
No healthcare opportunities unless you went onto salary, if you went onto salary you had to work a minimum of 55+ hours a week, and it payed less than hourly.
Never know what to expect
Shift Leader/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 7, 2012
You never know what to expect. The day can be exytremely busy or completely dead. Then there are some steady days, as far as business.

What I've learned while being at perkins is that it is the most diverse place I have ever worked at. The customers that come in, Ive met from london, Germany, Mexico, Somalia, Belgium, etc. The location that I am at, is by 3 colleges, one of them being the U of M east bank as well as a hospital. I have come in contact with a variety of different people. Such as, disability, some just released from the hospital with head injuries, or just having a baby, some are being diagnosed with a disability, special diets that have been given from the doctor, College students, footbal coaches from every 2 of the three colleges. People visting from out of town at other colleges, etc. the list goes on.

The management team there is great. Recently just got a new general Manager, and she is doing great. She is working hard to change some things that might have been bad for either business or the company. it hs been working out pretty good so far. The assistant managers are great. When things are real busy, they help out, they give good conversations to us co-workers and they also play their role as managers.

One of the hardest parts of the job is trying to get out of there on time! You will never get out of there at the time you are scheduled because of how busy it is. The next hardest part of the job is trying to make yourself the best that there is. It may sound easy but dealing with people and their food can be tricky. A lot of special orders and just making
  more... sure you are satisfying your customer with the best service. You may think that you are but you may not know what your customer is thinking. Some tell you and some will not. You have know how to control yourself when you get angry customers, Some will make you feel so low but you have to some how turn that around and still try to give them the best service even though some thing did not go right.

The most enjoyable part of my job is making my customers happy. Making regulars so when they come in they request your section and if not able to, they will come in and you both will acknowledge each others presents. You get compliments from new comers and if they don't come back, you know that you have given them a great experience while being there. They will never forget you!
Pros
customers
Cons
health benefits
Fun, fast paced, stressful, and steep learning curve.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Roseville MN 55113June 15, 2012
I've worked at Perkins now for 5 years now and I have learned a lot about the restaurant industry. The Perkins I work at is one of the most busy in the state of Minnesota making it a very fast paced work environment where you can go from not having anything that requires your attention to having 5 things that could blow up in your face. You learn quickly to think on your feet and how to make the best judgment call with little time to react. I have also seen many people start at our store, and not be able to handle the stress and leave within a month. But after those people get weeded out you are left with and incredible group of people that are not only good at their jobs but also have the greatest personalities you will ever come across. The whole job is always team oriented, you don't get to do nothing while watching everyone else do your work, when one link in the chain breaks the whole thing falls apart, we rely on each other for everything. Management can be harsh at times but usually only when its needed. During a rush you have to be focused and on task or you will break down and lose everything. They have all had many years in the business and know their stuff. I have learned more from that one store about broad categories that I think i will ever learn from one place in my life. My most important things I think I learned is about customer relations and thinking under pressure. I had never had a customer service job before and it was a whole new world to me, but like most challenges I face, I put my all into and came out the victor.
Pros
amazing group of employees, flexible hours, free food
Cons
pacing of the job, low pay, emotional stress
Challenging, fast pace office with a lot of responsibilities and duties that I enjoyed and can work by way up the ladder.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 28, 2014
Of course it started of busy. Answer phones, communicate with staff, parents and others to rely information, take orders, and address complaints. Then I would work on Accounts Receivable and Parables and complete bank transactions. Monitor the budget and multiple accounts. Check on purchase orders for supplies ordered, traveling itineraries were in place, and enter orders for staff and students. Put in work orders and service contracts going off the approved business and government guidelines. Check in orders and disburse, inventory. I worked closely with the Principal in every business aspect.
I learned to be very flexible, dependable, multitask, organized and that I do like some challenges more that I ever dreamed.
When the Executive Secretary was not there or busy I was trained to step in and do her job as will as mine. Which getting Substitutes, Workman's Comp., request from staff, scheduling, work with the Principal with anything needed etc..
I had a LOT of co workers and everything was fine. Of course you have trying ones as well as customer's so you just need to talk to them and go over the rules, procedures, etc...
Was when I had to run errand or miss do to a day off. Coming back to work even after a couple of hours seemed impossible. Everyone was needing something right then and there.
I love working with sorts of diverse people, learning new things, challenges in reason, and being very positive and successful.
Pros
support, reliable, knowledgeable, confidential, versital and busy i loved it all
Cons
sometimes no breaks, lunch, coming back from time off for personal or business and all the urgent demands etc...
Fun and convenient place to work while in school.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAOctober 15, 2014
Typically as a Hostess at Perkins I would greet the guests as they walk into the restaurant and give them a great initial experience by complimenting them and pointing out daily specials. I would then seat them and continue to check up on most tables throughout my shift in order to make sure the customers had complete satisfaction during their time at Perkins. I would complete side jobs such as cleaning the front area of the restaurant. This included vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, and organizing. I was also responsible for keeping the money in the cash register at around $250 dollars throughout my shift, therefore having to do cash pulls throughout the day. I answered telephones, cashed the customers out and asked them how their food and service was. What I learned from this experience is that keeping happy customers generates a happy work environment among employees as well. The management was okay, occasionally the assistant managers were difficult to work with due to the lack of social skills and motivation level on some days. My co workers were around my age during the evening shifts which made it easier to communicate among each other. The morning shift crew were older and tended to keep to themselves more. The hardest part of this job was when there was a long wait for customers to be seated. At that point there really was not much anyone could do, but it made it difficult to keep certain customers satisfied, which was our main goal. The most enjoyable part of this job was the relationships I created with some of the regular customers. It was a satisfying feeling to know  more... that they have had such great service that they return weekly.  less
Terrible experience.
Server (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 17, 2015
Perkins was my first job I've ever had. I first started out as a hostess for about nine months, then worked my way up as a server. I can't say I was too thrilled with the customers, the managers, and the co workers. All had horrible communication, and it was mostly an elderly crowd. The servers would constantly gang up on the hostesses, or the new people behind their backs, or in front of their faces and terrorize them, making it a hard environment to work in. There were about four to five managers, and only one ( the kitchen manager) would stick up to the bullying and harassment from the cooks and servers. The lead managers wouldn't take much action, and they weren't that great of leaders. The assistant manager would sit in the office and eat and complain, and the general manager wouldn't do much either. When I was serving, the managers gave me small sections ( five tables) to take, and I repeatedly asked for a bigger section to work in, and not only that, I requested more hours, and they gave me three days a week and only four to six hours a day. I wasn't getting very many tips from my small sections, and I wasn't getting a big check either because severs make less money than the cooks and managers do. And as a college student who is moved out, it was very frustrating. The managers also thought I was taking fall quarter at the community college, but I wasnt, so they gave me two days a week. The managers also told me that I needed to get better and get more practice, but never gave me the hours to do so. This place is by far the worst I've ever worked at, and eventually I left  more... to a more professional working environment.  less
Pros
50% off lunches.
Cons
Lack of communication, horrible managers.
Good place to start, and for short term employment
Supervisor, Service, Training and developement (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 12, 2012
I have been with Perkins for seven years, there was a point in time where I could really see myself there. While there is a strong comittment and dedication to the Guest that we serve that is unmatched by our competition, over the years, the business (at Perkins and in general) has really struggled to stay viable, and has been in a phase of erosion for some time - (filing bankruptcy in June of 2011). There are also struggles with employee retention and morale and management, given the type of business which tends to have a high turnover. Overall, Perkins has definetly taught me the importance of serving others, and I stay dedicated and faithful to my emloyers, and will continue to do so as long as I am there. But I am looking for an alternative to Perkins, as the once great opportunities have faded considerably over time. Additionally, I am hoping to expand my skill sets beyond the restaurant business.
Pros
some free meals, and flexibility in schedules, meet people
Cons
short/no breaks, scheduling issues (based on business trends), 365 day operation; mandatory working all holidays
Busy life as a Server
Server (Former Employee) –  Madison WIJanuary 22, 2014
My day would be constantly attending to the guest needs along with strong communication.

What I learned as a server is to have a more of a friendly personality and a approach with people of different ages and backgrounds. and to Multitask to the max on busy days and/or nights.

The Management was Excellent on doing there job. Making sure if we needed help and things was getting done like they should. As for co-worker we was like a big family. Nice, supported each other, helped out in anyway possible and friendly.

The most difficult part for me in the beginning. Was Handling the guests during bar time. Taking care of the intoxicated as the couldn't make up there mind, while there are others like them demanding your full attention.

But in the end i enjoyed serving all types of food to them and trying things i never ate before! Seeing all sort of people of different age coming in to spend their family time together. It made me happy to be apart of their family for a short period of time.
Pros
making yummy dessert!
Cons
short breaks
A productive and Outgoing place of employment!
Hostess (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 8, 2012
A typical day at work would include, running the cashier, cleaning, dealing with customers complaints and needs. I would also greet and seat customers, restock and stock inventory, and help servers, by serving beverages and busting their tables. I also had the responsibility as second head hostess and delegating tasks in which order seemed most appropriate according to employee capabilities. I learned how to delegate tasks, direct people, deal with customers needs and complaints. I also learned how to stock and restock, communicate effectively and how to deal with and manage high stress situations with a cool, calm and collected manner. I liked the management at Perkins Restraunt, they were really nice, but always professional and made sure everyone took care of their responsibilities. I liked my co-workers, they were very nice, outgoing, polite and responsible. I liked talking with customers, helping them, and enjoyed anwsering the telephone and placing orders. My favorite part about the job was managing the other hostess's and delegating the tasks accordingly.
Pros
great co-workers and chance for advancement
Cons
the only con is the pay is'nt that great, but i really enjoyed the job itself though.
Fast paced workplace with high levels of customer interaction
Server (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYApril 9, 2014
Perkins provided me with an environment that included high levels of customer interaction, time management, and problem solving skills. I held this job for every summer break I had before I returned to college. On a typical day, I would arrive at the restaurant at approximately 8 a.m., and immediately begin to greet and serve tables. I would take customer orders, prepare certain food items (drinks, salads, side items, desserts), run them to tables, continually check up on tables, and drop off checks. I was required to memorize the extensive menu, answer guest questions, and manage time wisely as I had to service several tables with multiple guests at one time. I also had to bus my own tables once guests left. I would greet, serve, and bus tables all day, often without taking a break, until the evening, approximately 6 p.m.
Pros
skills learned, fast-paced, generally positive environment
Cons
short breaks, could be very stressful at times
Fast paced exciting place to work.
Assistant Food Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 10, 2013
*Typically as a AFPM I would hold a staff meeting prior to the start of shift going over the company needs and wants for the day. During the shift I would preform services as line cook and managerial needs as they arose. At the end of shift I would speak to the next shift entering in and review any changes or needs that would be needed.
*I learned to accept responsibility and control a busy shift despite any problems that would arise.
*The upper management was looking out for the corporations interest but in the process did not seem to take the employees needs into consideration.
*My co-workers were skilled and professional in service to the customers and the needs of the management.
*Working on the line in front of 375 degree flat top grill for 8 hours a day.
*The most enjoyable part of the job was the fast paced and fun atmosphere that came with the job.
Pros
afpm (management) perks uncluding free meals and vacations.
Cons
long hours in a heated area.
A great job to start off with.
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAOctober 17, 2013
Perkins is a typically fast pace job. In your down town you are still expected to make yourself busy. Whether it is prepping for the busy time of your shift or taking the initiative to do extra cleaning. I have learned a lot from working at Perkins. I have learned discipline, how to speak to an unhappy customer, time management, how to multitask, manners, responsibility, and so much more. However, sometimes, the co-workers weren't always the greatest to work with. Some of them were college students just trying to pass time, and others really valued their job. The hardest part of the job for myself was having so many other waiters/waitresses there that were new and always wanting to talk to one another instead of helping each other. The most enjoyable part was getting to know so many customers and building a bond with them.
Pros
good money
Cons
hard laborous work
Enjoyable fast paced job, with room for individual growth.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDMay 7, 2014
When I first started at Perkins I didn't know much of anything about my job, but thanks to great managers and co-workers I was able to become one of the better cooks there. A typical day at work started off checking the stock and cleanliness of the shift before. It then included recieving tickets for food from servers via customers, and cooking and preparing the tickets in the order recieved in an adequete 7-15 min. Prep and stock was to be done in between orders and the work area needed to be kept as clean as possible during tickets. The hardest part of the job was the constant change in the promotional menu's and how we were expected to learn them on the fly. The most enjoyable part of the job to me is the fast paced environment, and working as a team with other servers and cooks.
Pros
good job
Cons
alot to take in
Guests kept me there
Certified Training Server/Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MN/ Chaska, MN and Des Moines, IAOctober 23, 2015
Great place to start as a server. You learn a lot of different skills. Serving is not for everyone. You have to deal with a lot of different things going on at the same time. After 9 years I learned a lot about myself, my values, my goals, how to multi-task with many different tasks happening at once. How to give great customer service, how to keep my cool and always stay calm under pressure/stress. How to manage other people and how to train and coach other people.My management had always been my problem. They were never consistent, never kept their word, made me work part-time hours when I needed to be full-time.
Pros
The guests were great and my coworkers were always people I could count on.
Cons
No breaks to eat, no benefits for part-time (even though it was my full-time job, I wasn't allowed to work enough hours to be full-time and recieve benefits).
Waitress at a high paced atmosphere
Waitress/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Moorestown, NJFebruary 10, 2015
My typical day as a waitress begins with opening and preparing the restaurant for the busy day ahead. I am skilled in managing and prioritizing multiple tables at one time. I've learned to become an organized server with my excellent communication skills, anticipatory service, and problem resolution and service recovery. I am a real team player and working with a staff who is also team players makes waitressing more of a steady flow resulting in outstanding customer service.
The hardest part of my job is time management. I like to talk to my tables and engage in conversations that make their experience at Perkins better. However, this sometimes leads to a delay in other table service. But with my co-workers working as a team, there are no real problems with this minor delay.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be working with amazing management and co-workers. Having staff that are there to work but have a good time makes the day a lot more pleasant.
Ok company to work for.
Book keeper (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNAugust 19, 2013
A typical day of work for me is cooking or baking. This entails a ton of cleaning which has accumulated throughout the day it is hard work and there are time standards to meet. Some days are way too long others are much too short. I need a balanced hours/day work schedule as it is very hard on the body to go from days to night to back to days again. Management as of late, has changed in a direction that I feel does not hold any concern for employees enjoying their jobs or their personal life. My coworkers are fun to work with for the most part. The hardest part of the job are the ridiculous time standards that the corporation has set to get the job done. The most enjoyable part of the job is IF they notice something (this rarely happens) they tell you good job, or thank you.
Pros
free meals when i work
Cons
unbalanced work schedule, inconsistant hours and having to work a schedule that is days/overnights/days
Stressful Workplace
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahAugust 1, 2012
Typical days consisted of Busing Tables and Waiting tables. With some Occasional Cooking after close.
I learned how to take in stressful situations and turn them into a positive and/or see the customers side of things
The management team was never really around, but when they were everything was checked and reviewed for efficiency. Very friendly management team.
The co-workers were pretty selfish and lazy, it was hard getting them to work at the age I was, but when the manager was in, they stayed on task like the five star restaurant that we were. Had no Integrity.
The hardest part of the job, was to keep all the dishes and the rest of the team in line, with a consistently efficient environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with the rest of the community and the customers that came and went throughout the day.
Pros
free meals, time off when needed.
Cons
poor co-workers, and no benefits
It has so much potential
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 28, 2016
The job itself isn't so bad. I love a lot of my coworkers we are like a family. The pay is so up and down, some are payed well, some under payed for their length of years of service. I like where Perkins is heading with the new menus and remodels and training processes. I would like to see cooperate back off a little bit about the labor numbers so I could focus more on properly training and hiring an awesome team. That way, we can run the labor numbers that they wanted to see in the first place! :) Maybe I should buy my own restaurant. lol
Pros
free meals for management, hours stability, fun coworkers, stay busy
Cons
Stressful, drama, 50 hour work weeks for salary, so based on labor that it's hard to train and build up your store to suceed
A job that keeps me consistently busy and passes the time on long shifts
Server (Current Employee) –  Lemoyne, PAMay 27, 2015
A typical day at work is (hopefully) busy, where I can make on an 6-hour shift anywhere from $60-$90 in tips. What I have learned at this job is how to better multi-task, communication with customers, how to quickly and accurately prepare food, and how to work in an environment that has a multitude of different people and backgrounds. My management, in all honesty, varied from very dedicated and hard-working individuals to ones who micromanaged and barked orders at certain employees. There was overall very inconsistent management at this establishment. The most enjoyable part of this job was walking out at the end of my shift with a lot of tip money.
Pros
half-price food, flexible hours, regulars who tipped well
Cons
low-quality benefits, inconsistent management system, low-quality technology, sexist managers
Fast pace environment and solid customer base
WAITRESS- I (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYApril 25, 2013
A typical day at work would include cleaning and lost of communications between customers, other servers and the cooks. I have learned to enter check orders in a micros operating system.
Management team is easy going and good listeners however there is not much reward for being a hard working employee. Co-workers are friendly, however some are not as motivated to do the extra work as required. The hardest part of the job is being able to multitask effectively and serve customer request accurately and efficiently. the most enjoyable part of the job is the customers. There are many regulars and the remember your name and ask for your service.
Pros
50% off from meal while working and 20% off when not working
Cons
mandated breaks when only schedualed to work 4.5 hours. so you really only work 4 hour in a shift.