Pet Food Express Employee Reviews

Loyal, but not such great pay.
Facilities (Former Employee) –  CorporateSeptember 21, 2017
Good company, overall, but the pay is on the low side. Definitely room for advancement on the retail side. They like to promote from within, if possible.
Retail is retail, no matter how good the company is
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Benicia, CASeptember 20, 2017
PFE was a great place to work and it is a good place for people who love animals and a good entry-level job. My schedule was not predictable usually. Schedules are posted 2 weeks in advance. Management was very nice and easy to talk to. There were a few issues with other staff that took a while to clear up. In a day, you do anything from cleaning to talking to people all day. You have customers getting mad at you for things you cannot control, but that's retail. The hardest part of the job would be training new staff because everyone else is up to speed and some people, unfortunately, learn slower than everyone else. The most enjoyable parts of the job were seeing the dogs and cats that would come in and you could pet. It was also solving customers problems.
Pros
Free food once in a while. Free breakfast/dinner at meetings.
Cons
Workplace culture is still changing
educational work enviornment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 18, 2017
was busy, had responsibilities to learn product and help customers, hardest part were the early morning shipments of dealing with 40 pound bags. a whole pallet of them.
Great first job.
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 18, 2017
Pet Food Express is a great location to have a great first job because a great environment is a great place to start. Greatness is achieved here when you push yourself.
Great place to grow
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 15, 2017
Great culture - Great Customers - Passionate about pets - Room and support to grow - Great job training - Owners take a lot of pride in the company and even visit stores - Tough hours if you have a family
Pros
Cons
varying shifts
Great workplace and environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 3, 2017
Pet foot express was a great workplace and environment, the culture sets the tone for the company. It starts at the top with corporate and goes down from there and the training of associates it one the best I've experienced.
Animals are People
Sales Associate/Lead (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 28, 2017
I loved that I got to spend my day helping animals, learning about how to treat allergies, fleas, food, treats, toys. You will never stop learning.. The company provides a lot of training that other companies don't bother to do.
Pros
Free Lunches
Great job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, UTJuly 24, 2017
This job definitely helped me grow out of my shell, especially since I'm an introvert. They are very interactive with getting the associates to learn how to lead a conversation.
Wonderful company with a truly wonderful group of people in the upper managment positions
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mill Valley, CAJuly 12, 2017
I've never worked for a company like this before and will likely never find one like it again. It is the type of place where hard work is rewarded on a regular basis. By far my favorite part about this employer is the level of training that even the entry level employees are given. It was the most rewarding place to work for I have ever come across and I hope they expand into Oregon one day!
Pros
Great people, Great culture, continuous rewarded learining opportunities.
Cons
Due to it's location (just north of SF) the wages offered are meager.
Maximum effort, Minimal compensation.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMay 31, 2017
This company is a wonderful idea and has much better morals than any other retail job I've seen but you are truly expected to bend over for the customer the second they walk in the door and escort them around as if they were 4. The customers see this as an awkward and forced confrontation just as much as the associate do. I understand you have to help people in the service industry but why am I being paid minimum wage to be a full time customer nanny when I could go to any other establishment, be paid the same and only have to really deal with people if it looks like they actually need assistance. "You aren't actually being paid minimum wage" they will say but that is only because they put quotas on you to up sell a certain "promotion" category every month. There are about 10 almost impossible goals that will each give you an extra .10 an hour for each you achieve. This is kind of a fun concept except the fact that this company is charging sometimes DOUBLE the price for the same bag of dog food you could get anywhere else making a sale impossible and morally bankrupting. The companies excuse for this is that it is because you are paying for service as well as the product but no one working on the store level has ever seen a dime of that extra money. Everyone who works for this company that seems to actually enjoy it always seems to be a boring sellout individual from the corporate office. All of this on top of them not letting me have the days off I needed to go to school and I was done
Solid retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 28, 2017
Good-hearted people. There is a definite vision for the company. Monthly meetings help keep everyone on the same page. However, different things are said at different meetings. Information can be scattered at times.
Pros
Great merchandise discount
Cons
Tendency to hire from outside. Management training is lacking.
Great Pet Shop
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 12, 2017
Working was like going to a University .... Learned the best information on pets health, diet & activity and work with other caring people and passionate about their causes
Pros
Everything was great
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and positive atmosphere
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 30, 2017
Customer service with an emphasis on pet nutrition and health. Cashiering. Education on pet training and maintenance. Time keeping and scheduling. Fun playing with the animals that come into the store.
Pros
Work with animals, flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay and limited promotions
Used to be a good place to work, not so much any more.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 28, 2017
Store is usually understaffed most days.
Management shows favoritism to certain employees.
Lack of positive feedback or praise from management.
Major difference between corporate beliefs, practices and working at the store level.
Pros
Working with pet owners
Cons
Understaffed most days, poor management
sales rep
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAApril 26, 2017
typical retail job
Pay is poor minimum wage.
The good- great sales training and product training. pet friendly environment.
The management is poor from what I experienced constant negativity .
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAApril 6, 2017
I have really enjoyed working with this company. I wish I did not have to look for a different job and it is with great reluctance that I am looking for a new job. I love that we have many fund raisers each year to help different animal causes.
Pros
Health benefits, bonus program, training.
Cons
pay could be better
Great first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAApril 5, 2017
Pet Food Express is a very fun and interesting company to work for. It's a fast paced environment, even in a slower store. It's a great job that pushes your growth and potential. I wouldn't consider it a place to ever make a career. The management positions barely pay livable wages in the bay area, and the sales associate positions pay a bit above minimum, but not nearly enough. Working here has helped me overcome a lot of personal anxiety issues. I would gladly recommend this as a first job, a part time job, or something in the interim. Know that because of the time and money they put into training new associates though, that they try to stray from filling with too many people that don't plan on staying for any long term time investment.
Pros
Great training, Family feel
Cons
Pays unlivable wages
started off good
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAMarch 31, 2017
Company started small and awesome to work at, but now its super corporate. I would say its probably like working at any major chain pet shop. They just dont sell animals.
Good atmosphere with terrible pay
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 19, 2017
It's a good environment. Many people bring their dogs to work with them. There is potential for advancement but most everyone is underpaid for what they do.
Pros
Bring your dog to work
Cons
Low pay
Dogs are nice but the company doesn't care about employees.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 10, 2017
Pet Food Express is a great beginner job and if you are and overwhelmingly an energetic person who can do the work of 10 people all the time, then this is the job for you.
Being promoted to full-time is semi simple however moving up in the company has quite a large bar set for you.
You learn useful skills for dealing with the general public, however the amount of time you spend with a customer can be (20 minutes minimum to 2 hours). Not to mention the manual laborer really messes with your joints. You have a silent expectation to always do the job of 10 people. The company is expanding rapidly and this has led the corporate office to stop caring about employees. Good knowledge is to be learned about pet nutrition. Honestly the job in the end isn't worth the stress, and pressure they place you under.
Pros
30 minute lunches, full-time benefits, paid sick time for part-time and fulltime
Cons
The pay is awful for the work your required to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Food Express. Our community is ready to answer.