Pet Food Express

Pet Food Express Employee Reviews

Extremely pet friendly and customer oriented
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Redwood City, CAJune 29, 2015
Pros: Getting to make friends, Helping animals
Cons: Sometimes there would be drama at work between associates
Generally open up shop, get cash registers ready, maintain and keep the store looking presentable for customers. Aide customers in finding the right products for their pets. Work with community outreach programs. Lots of team building exercises and lots of room for growth within the company. Co-workers will generally work fairly well as a team. Hardest part of the job was hearing about a customers pet having passed. It can be an emotional time for the customer as well as us animal lovers. Best part of the job was getting to work with rescue groups and hug and pet all the animals that would come through our doors.
Fun coworkers and supportive managers.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Lafayette, CAMay 30, 2015
Extensive training available and the bonuses given for reaching goals are easy to accomplish. Friendly customers for the most part.
I love animals and helping customers with questions
Inventory stocker (Former Employee), Castro Valley, CAMarch 6, 2015
I worked here everyday after school from 3-6. It was only a temp job because I had school. I worked on stocking the shelves and helping customers with questions.
You have to love pets to work here. We focus on the well being of pets, customers, and our employees.
District Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee), Oakland, CAMarch 5, 2015
Pros: great bennifits, bring your pets to work, casual dress code
Cons: great company. nothing i can think of.
Great company to work for. Promotes creative thinking, large focus on leadership skills. Owners, COO, District Manager, Area Managers are very involved at the store level. Hardest part of the job was the traveling. They recognized that and provided us with electric cars to drive in the commuter lanes. This allowed us to spend more time with our teams then on the road. The most enjoyable part of the job was working directly with the front line employees. In the 15 years I was there, I was able to be part of my employees being promoted to Managers and Area Managers. This was the most satisfying part of my job. It is a jean and T-Shirt environment from the top to the bottom. Everyone was assessable. All upper managers, owners, COO worked on Saturdays visiting stores and checking in with the staff.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee), Petaluma, CAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: a lot of employee appreciation
Cons: i think that it is comparable
My job is make it fun to learn and educate. I strive to do this with my team. There are times that sometimes are difficult, but I know I'm only going to learn something.
A fun and positive company to work for.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Campbell, CAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: sales motivations and rewards, open communication with all levels of staff
This is by far one of the most enjoyable positions I have ever held. While the company is steadily getting bigger and gaining momentum, the owners and managers still manage to keep a family style working environment. It is the company's culture to promote differences, community and awareness.

In this position, I have learned how to be an understanding manager who can look for different solutions to potential problems and think out side the box to solve those problems.

A typical day at work began with opening the store, taking care of deliveries and returns, going to the bank if needed, customer service, providing customers with information regarding their pets, and assisting pets in need.

The hardest part of the job was leaving my full time position and moving into an on-call position due to schooling conflicts.

The most enjoyable part of the job was going to work everyday and learning about people and their pets.
Good Company
Manager (Current Employee), Livermore, CADecember 2, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: wages dont match the work
Flexible,enjoyable and interesting is how I would describe Pet Food Express. Great benefits and the company cares about you as a person.
Productive and Great Place
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Concord, CAOctober 14, 2014
Working for Pet Food Express was an awesome experience! I loved waking up and working for this company! I finally had found a job opportunity that I loved doing on a daily basis! Unfortunately, due to family emergencies, I had to resign and move back to Nevada.
a great comany
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Walnut Creek, CASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: fun, easy
Cons: small paychecks, heavy lifting
Customer service, cleaning, delegating tasks to co-workers, completing tasks assigned to myself. Management would like to see me move up in the company, I am currently working on proving myself to my co-workers and superiors. Customers can be difficult to handle at times but I manage to very well. The company's beliefs and values are wonderful.
Pet Food Express is a wonderful Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), El Cerrito, CAJuly 23, 2014
I have grown so much personally while working with Pet Food Express. My communication skills as well as my customer service skills have improve during my employment.
Excellent education
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Castro Valley, CAMay 15, 2014
The company is wonderful with education. Classes and workshops are always available and encouraged by management.
Great place to work if you're a life long pet owner!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), CAOctober 24, 2013
Pet Food Express does an excellent job when hiring future employees. They really dig deep when searching for compassionate people who really love helping others for the well being of there loved ones. Everyone at PFE has to do product knowledge sheets weekly to be able to have the right information to deliver to there customers so there pets can thrive and live a happy, long life. I have a lot of respect for the general idea Michael, Mark and Terry envisioned when joining to create the best pet store possible. I appreciate this company and everything they've taught me throughout my time here as I can use this information for the rest of my life!
Love what I do and is fun but needs a better paying job
Receiving Department (Current Employee), Oakland, CAOctober 17, 2013
Pros: free lunches from time to time
Cons: short breaks
Working long hours just to see a nice check.. busy season is when the long hours really come in, love what I do and is fun but needs a better paying job, such as to see a future and career.
Loads of fun and cuteness
Puppy Caretaker (Former Employee), San Jose, CAAugust 16, 2013
Pros: played with adorable puppies
Cons: n/a
This is just some volunteer experience, therefore a typical day at Pet Food Express holding adoptions were sometimes hectic. Adorable puppies playing and loads of families searching for their ideal pet. From this volunteer experience, I learned that patience is key. Looking for a new pet to adopt can be hard, and before settling down with a new puppy, you need to be aware of what you're taking home. Therefore, some customers took quite a while to decide if this animal was what they wanted. I also learned simple responsibilities, such as cleaning up and setting up, making sure the puppy was well fed and cleaned after, and that customers were given plenty of information on the puppy. The other former volunteers were quite friendly too, and helped me since they had experience working with this company. There wasn't any hard part of the job, I enjoyed every bit of it. The puppies were extremely adorable and seeing a family bring home a new family member was quite enjoyable.
Overall, good atmosphere and team to work with.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Fremont, CAJuly 12, 2013
I love working at Pet Food Express. The people that I am surrounded by are friendly, approachable and always willing to help. I love the relationship I am able to make with customers and their pets just from helping them out or recognizing them and making them feel welcomed in the store. In this company, it is like the neighborhood pet store.
Typical retail job experience, had its up and downs
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Campbell, CAFebruary 20, 2013
Did basic retail work. Knowledge of product information was super important and there was always focus on how well the products sold and how we could make more profit. They really pushed the customer service (especially approaching every single customer), maybe a bit too much at times. Gained a lot of good customer service experience overall, and the staff was fun to work with.
good place to be a sales associate
Store Manager (Former Employee), Oakland, CASeptember 10, 2012
too many policy gray areas makes it difficult to manage there
fun workplace
Inventory/Reset group (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJuly 6, 2012
hard working co-workers
great people and pets to be around
the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting so many different pets and people.
great enviroment.
Wonderful place to work. Owners are awesome to work for.
Supply Chain Leader - Store Manager (Current Employee), Oakland, CAJune 9, 2012
Pros: you can bring your dogs to work
Cons: they don't have stores in boise.
This is still the small mom and pop family business. (where your hand shake is more then a piece of paper.) I wouldn't be leaving if I wasn't moving out of state.
Both the staff and customer base along with their visiting pets made this job like no other
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oakland, CAMay 22, 2012
Pros: helping customers, bonuses, the great staff
Cons: cleaning the dog wash, not having an answer for a particular question
A typical day at work consisted of helping pet owners either feed, better the animals coat or to aid and injury. The management team selected by the owners of the company, made sure that every employee was trained on all topics and continued to learn more each week with provided study packets. The hardest part of the job was closing with a customer still inside of the location, this tasks was difficult due to the concern than an owner had for their pet and the concern we at Pet Food Express had for their needs. The most enjoyable is to see an owner come in with their pet doing better after applying knowledge attained for a staff member.
Headquarters