Pet Supermarket Employee Reviews in United States

Average Sales Position with a few cons
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLApril 3, 2016
Sales associate position where helping customers is the main priority. Also included stocking, cleaning and taking care of the in-store animals. Management and sales team were split into two groups, but not in an official capacity. Management sat around and relaxed while barking orders, which lead to a non-productive team.

Working in a situation like that where management took advantage of their positions in terms of laziness allowed me to realize that obtaining a bachelors degree will better equip me from ending up in that same situation.
Pros
Personable Sales Team, Positive Customer Interactions
Cons
Poor Management
Fun workplace with great employees but underpaid.
Sales Asociate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sun City Center, FLMarch 3, 2016
The management at my store in Sun City, Florida aren't the best, same with the inflexible schedule, if a manager wants off, they get a day off over sales associates. We are way underpaid at $8.10/hr. We do so much more than people working at McDonald's, yet we get the same pay as them. There's hardly any "moving up" and management opportunities. I just like the people I work with, and the free pet food each month, that's about it.
Pros
free pet food monthly, 25% discount, good training program
Cons
short breaks, very underpaid, understaffed usually, schedule not flexible and given at the last minute.
Don't move up to fast or they will fire you!
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLApril 14, 2016
I loved working for this company! The people were great and being able to help customers find what they needed to better the life of their pet was fulfilling! Over time you start to grow with the company and if you work hard and show earnest in what you do they will promote you to a higher volume store. Be careful not to pop up to quickly or you get the boot because the can't afford to pay your salary anymore and find whatever excuse they can to get you out. The hours are ridiculously long there where you are required to work 50 hours on the schedule for a manager and 45 for an assistant.Don't expect to do less than a 60 hour week! LOL. . Be careful when applying to this company.
Pros
Pets are always fun to be around
Cons
Corporate structure is corrupt
working with animals
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 4, 2016
Provide quick and courteous service to all customers by determining their needs and sharing product knowledge to suggest the appropriate merchandise to satisfy them, and by effectively employing suggestive selling techniques to increase individual sales. Complete cash register transactions as well as customer carry-out service consisting of merchandise weighing up to but not exceeding 50 pounds per trip.Assist in the loading, unloading and stocking of merchandise according to established procedures in order to ensure that the store is well stocked and that inventory counts are accurate.
Great fun working with animals
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 3, 2016
Not much to say, pay is okay. Very behind the times as far as paperwork and inventory practices. No benefits the first 90 days, this includes any employee discounts. You tend to have to deal with very young adults as employees and all the issues that come with being young adults. Most management staff are also very inexperienced as managers since most are promoted from sales associate positions.
Pros
Nice people, free pet food
Cons
very behind the times in all aspects
learning management skills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 21, 2016
counting the safe, taking the night before money to the bank and getting enough change for the day, bring stock into the store for the employees to put out, helping customers with their needs, training new employees, keeping the store neat and clean, bring stock from the back of the store for employees to put out.
Pros
Learning how to be an effective assistant manager
Cons
dealing with empoyees who didn't want to do their jobs
Best Pet Store To Work For
SALES ASSOCIATE / CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAApril 6, 2016
The managers and the whole team learned as a whole as much about the food and the animals as they can to better inform customers. Everyday was filled with learning new things and playing with the animals in the store and those that came in the store to visit.
Pros
knowledge, teamwork
Cons
not enough compensation
Amazing coworkers, interesting place to learn new things and to have a chance to interact with customers
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Hialeah, FLJanuary 21, 2016
A day at pet supermarket consist in cleaning the animals habitat and take care of the fish and fish tanks. Then walk around asking customer if they need assistance. Great chemical between coworkers we all understand each other and work as a team
Depending on location will depend on experience.
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLNovember 30, 2015
Having worked at three different locations I have to say it REALLY depends where you work and WHOM you work with. I have had mostly a good experience but lately the new management has not been very good nor fair. Overall a good experience though.
Pros
Get to meet interesting new people, most managers will work will hectic schedule, get to work with animals
Cons
No part-time benefits, some scheduling not well thought out
Loved working for Pet Supermarket.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAOctober 26, 2015
Created a strong repeat customer base while maintaining a monthly high Secret Shopper scores and earning maximum bonus potential consistently.

Assured that the customer’s positive experience was exceeded by providing the convenience of attractive and well merchandised displays and always ensuring items were in stock.

Managed store personnel by motivating staffing, scheduling, mentoring, and performance review evaluations.

Protected company assets ensuring inventory control, overages and loss prevention, payroll budgeting and forecasting, and store operations allocations and usage.

Demonstrated a solid knowledge about maintaining all standards for
the well being, health, and complete pet care and safety of animals.
Sales driven work environment, based on teamwork and achieving company wide goals.
Shift Manager/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  11409 N. Dale MabryOctober 31, 2015
A typical work environment at pet supermarket, would include activities such as cleaning the store, and making sure that sales displays are up to date and providing customers with everything they or their pets need.
Pros
percentage off of pet food
Cons
little to no breaks, poor management team, not enough pay.
good
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMarch 30, 2016
I enjoyed helping people get what they needed to care for their pet. I enjoyed working and taking care of the animals and the store. I didn't enjoy being there all the time. Retail you are there during holidays and weekends.
Pros
helping
Cons
retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indian Harbour Beach, FLMarch 9, 2016
Pet Supermarket is a great place to work. Some heavy lifting is required, but overall is a great place to work. The atmosphere is usually light and fun feeling.
Pros
Competitive wages, decent hours
Cons
Some heavy lifting required
overworked and under paid
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Coast, FLOctober 22, 2015
managers would make us do their jobs but when it came time to give us raises they would make up stupid excuses as to why we wouldnt be getting it. Breaks were never given to us but managers always took their breaks smh the managment sucked which made our jobs suck
Pros
none really
Cons
basically everything
Full-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Smyrna Beach, FLSeptember 9, 2015
Very family-like atmosphere between employees. We all agree on issues and management always asks for our ideas and permission before making big changes. The company allows growth very quickly and can even send you all over the place to lend a hand at other stores. We were short staffed for a while and it wasn't over whelming at all. If you do your job, the place is very casual and a great working environment. I love working here.
Nice Training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAFebruary 21, 2016
Hires quickly when in need, and trains properly, start off pay is pretty good as well. I got a great three month review, but it does require to learn a lot about the pet products.
Good job for teenagers first job
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  orlando, FLSeptember 2, 2015
Just awful. I do not recommend the company at all. Worked there for almost 3 years.. definitely waste of my life. I moved up a lot, yet they do not care about their employees whatsoever. I did learn a lot, but I had to teach myself. Hire up managers do not help you. You have to fin for yourself.

Good place for teenagers first job and that work a couple days of the week.
Pros
Easy to move up in the company
Cons
Awful management, district managers goes behind emplooyes back, A lot of drama
Great
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLMarch 27, 2016
-Handle animals
-Love the customers
- The hardest part about working here is downstocking 30+ bags of dog food, but even that's not hard Lol. everything is pretty easy and fun.
Work environment moves at a predictable and consistent pace.
Pet Care Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAOctober 14, 2015
As a part-time employee a typical day would consist of morning opening routine, receiving deliveries (loading dock), operating power and manual pallet jack, stocking, and customer service.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
Minimal hours
Very disloyal company, doesn't care about its workers at all
Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 12, 2016
This company is horrible. I worked for Pet Supermarket for over five years and was completely loyal and dedicated. I only called in sick twice in nearly five and a half years (True!) and never missed work for any other reason. I was always there for any need they had including inventory at other stores or filling in for other workers at any of the stores in my district. I put up with long hours and no breaks and many other ways the company used its employees. One day I was at work and I was fired without any notice or warning; the company manufactured a phony reason, probably so they could fight my unemployment claim. I had done nothing wrong. I still don't know the real reason they let me go. A huge new foreign company bought out Pet Supermarket and could not care less about the loyal hardworking employees. If they can get away without paying you for all the extra work you will put in, they will find a way not to mention the low wages they pay you. Don't waste your time on this corporate BS. It's not worth it. And of course, they did not pay me for paid time off from the previous year. HORRIBLE company.