Pet Supermarket Employee Reviews

The ferrets are cute, but it's a trap
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 28, 2017
Typically, you're responsible for stocking, cleaning, customer service on the sales floor, and keeping the animals happy, so you're constantly moving. If you like stocking jobs, then it's not too bad. The best part of the job is obviously the animals, but that means you have to deal with the people who come in with them!
Pros
Free food provided at store meetings, get to work with animals
Cons
Short breaks, low-paying
Great company!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXApril 26, 2017
Great company, Was hired in hurst and moved up very quickly.
Upper Management isnt the best because i was forced to relocate stores countless times.Was an Assistant Store manager for 2 years
Bad pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLApril 13, 2017
A guy that worked there for 5 years got paid less than me and the work load is ridiculous for the wage. SO much cleaning and a lot of animal droppings.I was completely exhausted and my back hurt constantly plus you only got a 30 minute break if you worked more than 7 hours that day.
A great family atmosphere. The work itself is rewarding when a customer comes back and tells you how you have helped improve their pets life.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sebring, FLApril 7, 2017
Managing a Pet Supermarket allows you to build relationships with people and improve the quality of life for them and their pets. Leading a team is very rewarding and the culture is the best I have ever been in. The best part of the job is playing with the animals and helping local rescues adopt out pets or collect supplies.
Small retail, sales, customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  NCApril 3, 2017
Working here is a fairly common small retail experience, you are expected to fill all the rolls in the store but arnt watched like a hawk. Its easy to keep your job though and can be alot of fun working with customers and there animels as well as the animels in store.
Draw backs are you being expected to fill all the rolls in store means you will never be able to get all your work done, particular in relation to keeping shelves tidy and well stocked. This dose mean if you tick off your manager they can find something to hit you on. Second big drawback is you are expected to really sale with no incentive. This means being knowledgeable on animels and products, offten you will spend 20 min with a customer solving there issues but you won't see a dime for the extra work.

I am lucky to have good management so others might see issues I don't. Over all though a great place to work that will help build skills for other jobs.
Bad Corporate structure where employees come last
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 27, 2017
I have worked for almost two years at PetSupermarket and I would discourage anyone from working here. The corporate structure is only concerned with making money, part time employees recieve a discount and nothing else. Wages are lower than the competition and the work environment is highly stressful and overly competitive. Management puts all the pressure for sales, customer satisfaction, and animal welfare on employees with little help. District Manager's approval is required to move up to ANY position. Positions are clearly not awarded based on work ethic. Employees are expected to run the store but not trusted to touch money or do returns.
Pros
one free bag/case of food per month from Nutro
Cons
bad management, low wages, few benefits
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 23, 2017
I truly enjoyed my time being employed at Pet Supermarket. My coworkers became good friends and we were like one big family. They teach excellent customer service skills and one gains a vast knowledge on a variety of animals and subjects.
Not the best.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 12, 2017
Hours were tricky and it wasn't easy to work with school schedule. Loved the manager, but the assistant manager had some attitude issues. I didn't really get any training, either. It was nearly impossible to balance work and school, I kept having to cut back on my availability, but it was still pretty hectic.
Pros
Nice manager, cute animals, learn a lot about animal health
Cons
Lack of training, not the greatest hours, don't understand school comes first
Great place to work!
District Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 9, 2017
You can't ask more than to work at a company that focuses on making sure pets have great lives. It's a top line specialty retailer that has standards you will take with you to any other job, proudly.
Pros
Great focus on world class service standards
Cons
Cleaning animal pens is not for everyone
positive work environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INFebruary 21, 2017
a great job to enhance your customer service skills. you get to work with clients on either picking the right accessories for the clients pet or matching the clients with a new pet.
Pros
discounts
Cons
unsatisfied customers
Great people, not so great pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 13, 2017
I really enjoyed working with my fellow co-workers but saw a lot of them come and go. In my opinion they pay far below the industry average for the amount of work that you are required to do. Top management seems to care all about making money but do not invest in their own employees ( employees are the ones who make the sales for them). The company does not seem to care about their employees like they should.
Pros
Great employees, discounts
Cons
Get paid very little, Upper management
Was a great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Coast, FLFebruary 13, 2017
Although it was a great place to work I have to say that under new management things have been going in a bad direction such as how well the animals are taken care of i.e. SunPet
Not a good Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 3, 2017
This is probably the worst company I have ever worked for in my 35 year working career. Poor and rude communication from home office, no training with high expectations, too many daily tasks that makes no time for customer service, but then they have high expectations of customers service. A lot is expected from support staff and they pay very little. The hiring process is a joke and can take weeks at a time to hire a $7.25 an hour employee. Rude home office, out of touch CEO, stupid, stupid loss prevention department (ex. cut fruit in half to feed animals without being able to use a knife, not having time with all the tasks and little labor they allow to meet the expectations). I took over a store that was allowed to be ran into the ground for 3 years and was given less than 6 months to bring it to perfection with no training, no support, working 75-80 hours a week, stupid rules that would not let you go in early to make things better for the day. I can't say anything good about this company!
Pros
Ummmmm
Cons
Not enough words in the English language.
Fun environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 28, 2017
Work was pretty easy especially since we normally just cared for the in-store animals. I checked for store goals and did my best to meet them. Management definitely kept everything well put together, very family oriented. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the reptiles and most enjoyable part was selling the animals to new families.
alright company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLDecember 14, 2016
Ok company to work for. They renovated their stores. Pets were cared about more than employees. Very good food selection.
Pros
pets
Cons
bad management
Not in the least
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 11, 2016
The absolute worst company I have ever worked for! They do not care at all about you or your hard work! The training is the worst ever, they run a store into the ground for 2 years and then except miracles with little or bad training! They have zero support for their people but run the term "reach out" into the ground. 35 years in the work force and this is the absolute worst company I have ever worked for. If it were possible to give negative stars, I would!
Pros
Nope
Cons
Not enough words
a lot of laughter
Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Miami Beach, FLDecember 9, 2016
the only thing was its was a environment where there was a lot of favoritism. any an everyone could do what they want when they want ,anyone that was late was never wrote upon talked to about it
Pros
30 minute luches
Cons
messed up your time a lot
Potential to be a good company with difficult changes
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNDecember 1, 2016
After being bought out and merged with another company, the new Corporate team is bringing in changes that are impossible for the store management to keep up with. The direction of the company is going completely opposite than when I had first started. Too much is expected of managers, and there is no support from upper management at the store level.
Entry level.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  East boca flNovember 25, 2016
More for young people rather than middle age or older. The pay is extremely low for the amount of work your required to do.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Over worked, low pay
Laid-back environment and very flexible with your life
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 4, 2016
Great place just don't get paid for the work you do. Not a lot of customers so constantly trying to find things to do to not get bored
Pros
Flexible with schedules and friendly managers and leads
Cons
No benefits, underpaid for work done

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Supermarket. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8