Pet Supplies Plus Employee Reviews

Part-time job with a friendly work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Township of Springfield, OHAugust 29, 2016
Pet Supplies Plus is a great first job but is certainly not intended for long-time employment. The opportunity for advancement is virtually nonexistent and pay-raises are extremely unlikely to the point of being impossible. The management also guarantees hours based on performance but these promises are never kept. Despite this, the staff is friendly, the culture is relaxed, and the assigned tasks are straightforward.
Pros
Friendly staff and managers, relaxed and welcoming environment, cross-training
Cons
Virtually no opportunity for advancement, lack of communication amongst management team, unkept promises, little to no recognition for a well-performed job, minimal work hours

Comment – September 12, 2016

Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review. We’re glad that you enjoyed the time that you spent with us. We’ll be making note of your feedback for future improvements to our store. If you have any specific concerns or experiences that you’d like to share, we encourage you to reach out to us at onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Depends on the store and management
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 28, 2016
I worked at two different locations as a shift leader. It was fairly boring on a day to day basis, but my coworkers were great people. The first store I worked at had a great store manager and was a nice place to work. The second store was chaotic and had poor management. The district manager was sexist and power hungry and loved to raise his voice. I quit because of his harassment. Other than that and the low pay, it was a decent job.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Pay, upper management, and poor benefits

Comment – September 12, 2016

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The behavior that you’ve described is not in line with our standards. We’re concerned by your feedback and would like to speak to you in order to learn more about your experience. Could you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with both your phone number and the numbers of the stores that you’ve worked at?

Awful place.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 27, 2016
The other staff and management were godawful. Everyone in the company is a nightmare to work with. Benefits are nearly non existent. The only good thing is that the animals are taken care of SLIGHTLY better than petco. I've still seen reptiles left to die though. They refused to train me unless I begged for it and I never even got my raise.
Pros
Animals around, nice customers
Cons
Rude staff, short breaks, short staffed
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niles, OH 44446November 15, 2016
fun place to work
you'll learn alot about animals
management will treat you like family
management went to bat for everyone that work for them
raises were easy to get
Pros
nice breaks

Comment – November 28, 2016

It sounds like your time on our team was a positive experience for you! We always want our members to enjoy their work and coworkers, so we’re happy to receive this feedback. We’ll let store management know what a great job they’ve been doing. Thanks!

Very hard place to work fast and inpatient people
Bather/Brusher (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYSeptember 28, 2016
I worked as a bather in the grooming salon I was constantly put down in accused of not doing my job I got upset a lot to the point where I cried because of the manager was so mean and nasty I saw others quit or walk out being very upset because of what the manager said or did I address the issue with the store manager in the grooming manager got mad at me and told me not to go behind her back again or I be sorry I was always on edge I was accused of stealing a five dollar tip from the manager I gave the money back to her just so she would stop being upset about it and she ripped it up and threw it in my face She would also use an appropriate terms and words that made me uncomfortable every day I walked in there I didn't know if I was going to get fired or not I was always on edge
Pros
dogs are fun to play with
Cons
Mangment nasty and impatient

Comment – October 18, 2016

Good management is essential to maintaining a quality store, so we’re very concerned by the experiences that you’ve described. We’d like to speak with you so we can learn more about your feedback and make sure that we can improve. In order to put you in touch with a team leader, could you please contact us at onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com and provide your phone number so we can reach out to you?

Poor managment (discount pet)
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 11, 2016
The Manager in lodi degrades single mothers or people who have kids. Im really surprise he hasnt been fired after i complained to the new company about his actions towards me and other employees
No room for promotions. They hire outside people to be supervisors or managers.
Love my coworker dislilke the supervisors who don't their job and than blame the cashiers for their wrongs. You can complain all you want to the managers and they still wont do anything
Leaders are lazy and train new employees to be lazy
Overworked underpaid

I really hope good things come out of Pet Supply Plus now they own Discount Pet
Pros
Meeting new people and their pets
Cons
No benefits, pay is horrible, no room for advancement

Comment – April 25, 2016

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’re greatly concerned by your feedback and want to make sure that Discount Pet’s integration into the Pet Supplies Plus family starts on a positive note. We’d like to speak to you to learn more about this situation. Could you please email onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your contact information?

Fast paced work environment with animals
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 26, 2016
A typical day includes greeting and helping neighbors find what they need and making sure everyone leaves highly satisfied. I learned how to work as a team and how to prepare for corporate visits and also how to operate different computer programs. The management varies depending on location. My coworkers were nice and friendly. The hardest part of the job is when someone is extremely unhappy and no matter what you offer them or tell them, they're still very angry, however, the most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the loyal neighbors that always come in happy to see you and they become like family. It's also pretty great when they bring in their animals too.

Comment – November 5, 2016

We always strive to provide our team members with a great working enviroment where they can continue to learn and grow. We appreciate you taking the time to leave this review and look forward to our continued work together. In order to properly document your feedback, we'd like to learn what store you're reviewing. Could you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with the store number? Thanks.

Part time pay with Full time hours
Cashier & Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILMarch 28, 2016
Overall this place was a great way to get a work out and have some income. Unfortunately, it was not a great place to advance nor a place to get full-time benefits.

Currently with new management I have heard this to have changed and also the requirements to get hired have gotten a little more difficult. But not sure if the other work/life balance has changed.
Pros
Nice people that come in. Not too late of work hours.
Cons
Turnarounds often, lack of pay increases, Part time hiring with working Fulltime hours

Comment – September 23, 2016

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. We appreciate the time you spent with us and wish you the absolute best in your future endeavors. If you’d ever like to leave specifics regarding your feedback, please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your phone number so we can reach out and chat.

Fun Company to work for!
Groomer (Current Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYAugust 31, 2016
I have been working here for 5 years. I was here during the switch from Franchise to Corporate and I can tell you that it couldn't have gone any smoother. We were constantly being made aware of changes thru email and communication through the store manager. All changes were made gradually. We were given ample time to implement any changes. I was not a fan of the Franchise owners (Steve and Ilene). They were not professional to say the least. They had their favorite employees and were not afraid to show it. I got calls on my personal cell phone from Ilene constantly. Even on my days off.
Since the transition, I have been treated with the upmost respect and asked to be a part in some of the changes the company is making in the future.
Pros
Healthcare, 401k, employee discount
Cons
vacation time is nothing to brag about

Comment – September 23, 2016

It’s great to hear that the change from franchise to corporate has been smooth! We know that transitions can be challenging, so we appreciate your positive attitude and hard work as we move in this new direction. It’s team members like you that allow our stores to thrive. We appreciate you leaving a review and look forward to our continuing partnership!

It used to be fun
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYApril 18, 2016
Working there wasn't all roses and rainbows. The neighbors and the animals were pretty much the highlight of the day but there's no benefits, whatsoever. Stocking was usually only one or two people working on it through the day, management only seemed to help unload about one pallet before disappearing into the office. Shift supervisors were fantastic, but above them, it was honestly a joke. Never felt so disrespected and so unwanted in a job. Assistant manager, who was in charge of the night crew, never made sure the entire job was done. So morning crew would have to go back and fix everything. The managers above him don't trust their employees to do anything and they put the blame on others and never take responsibility for anything. The only difference between this one and Feeder's Supply, is this store's animals are better taken care of. They play favorites and the rest get treated unfairly.
Pros
Neighbors and animals
Cons
No benefits, poor management, fake

Comment – May 12, 2016

We appreciate you providing us with this feedback, and we want to make sure that the owner of this franchise hears about your experience. Please know that we’ll be passing this on for consideration. Thank you, and the best of luck on your future endeavors.

Fun co workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glendale, wiNovember 28, 2016
I loved the costumers and what I did her but there was issues with management not doing there job correctly and when issues arose they ignore them.
Pros
Fun co workers
Cons
No 401k. Short lunch, not 40 hour work weeks
very friendly people
book keeper (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, PAAugust 28, 2016
Typical day consisted of feeding and cleaning animals cages while assisting customers and stocking shelves until it was time to pull cashier drawers or order special orders and deal with customer complaints or returns. management was very friendly and the hardest part of the job was boxing up your favorite animal you grew attached to. the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and their pets. I have seen many puppies and young kittens and even young reptiles come in years later all grown up. You never know what might walk through those doors. llama, skunk, mini horse, baby alligator are just a few i have seen.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
no paid lunch

Comment – September 12, 2016

The happiness of our team members is hugely important to us, so we’re very glad to hear that your time spent with us was a positive experience! We appreciate your hard work and wish you the absolute best in your future endeavors. Thanks for leaving us this review!

Fun job but trust nobody
ASTL (Current Employee) –  St Clairsvle, OHApril 13, 2016
Took the ASTL job several months ago.... soon realized the store manager appreciates nothing, team morale is poor, a lot of turnover in the store, and rather than help manage the store, I am expected to be mainly a glorified stock person. The company itself is ok, the job could be a lot of fun, but unfortunately due to the pitiful store managers people skills and management ability, this job is not worth the pay... and to top it all off, I am still working there and my job has been posted on indeed... where is the job security?
Pros
The animals are great, could be a really fun place
Cons
Poor STL makes the job miserable for everyone

Comment – May 12, 2016

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. Being on the Pet Supplies Plus team should be a fun and fulfilling experience, and we want to make sure that going forward it’s exactly that. Please email us at onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your contact information so we can touch base. Thanks.

Productive and fun workplace for animal lovers.
Bather/Brusher (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 11, 2016
Great place to work if you need slight supplemental income while attending school. Good for part time work as well. The management staff is outstanding. Considering everything they have to work with, they all do their best to accommodate an employee's needs. The co-workers there are usually young adults with lots of personality. The hardest part of the job, as with any retail job, is customer interactions. Dealing with conflicting customers can be more frustrating and aggravating rather than difficult. Most customers are actually the most enjoyable part of the job as well. A lot of them that come in are friendly and looking for advice and help. That is the most rewarding part of it all, to me. Getting the satisfaction of helping someone out makes it all worth while.
Pros
15% discount.
Cons
No benefits, short breaks, no long term career paths.

Comment – February 9, 2016

It sounds like we picked the right person for the job! Thank you so much for taking our neighbors and their pets under your wing. The animals go home looking their best, and all are happy and satisfied because of you. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here on Indeed.

Fun place to work
Pet Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westmont, ILOctober 18, 2016
Examined animals to assure good health, and administered first aid as needed

Assured animals had fresh food and water every day

Socialized animals in my care

Repaired and disinfected animal cages on a regular basis

Create and maintain animal care records

Got crickets, feeder goldfish, and feeder mice for customers

Got to socialize with customers' pets
Pros
Great people, fun job, got to spend time with animals
Cons
High turnover rate, management was not consistent

Comment – November 5, 2016

Thanks for sharing this review with us. It’s important to us that our team members are happy with their management, so we’re concerned by some of your feedback. We would like to speak with you to learn more about your experience. Could you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your phone number? Thanks.

company is growing fast
Manager (Current Employee) –  Vienna, WVJanuary 28, 2016
There are huge opportunities for advancements within this company if you are able to relocate or are in an area where there are several of the stores. Unfortunately if you have neither of those, you will become stuck.

In a high volume store, there is little time for breaks and business is non stop.

Salaried managers are required to work 5, 10 hour shifts with only 1 half hour break a day. Makes for a long day.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no breaks for management, only 1 half hour lunch, huge turnover

Comment – February 8, 2016

Thank you for the review and for your continued work with us here at Pet Supplies Plus. We are grateful for your feedback as we work to improve our store and organization at large.

Awesome products and employees, great customers
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Penfield, NYJuly 30, 2016
The hardest part of the job is the lack of respect from the Manager, the manager verbally berates employees and constantly sends texts when you are off shift. The best part of the job is the opportunity to help people learn about different animals and the care involved to make sure they are prepared to take care of the animal they choose to purchase. I love the pace of the day and the diverse nature of my responsibilities.
Pros
Working with Animals
Cons
Management is unclear with expectations

Comment – August 8, 2016

We’re glad that you enjoy working with us, and we appreciate your feedback. However, we’re concerned with what you’ve had to say regarding management. We’d like to put you in touch with a team leader so we can learn more regarding your experiences. Could you send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number so we can reach out?

Pretty relaxed environment and mostly friendly staff.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhasset, NYMay 17, 2016
On days without shipments there isn't a lot going on. To the point where I did the exact same thing every Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, which would be straightening stuff on the tops of shelves. On truck days, I'd spend the day packing stuff out from the back room. Management changed 4 times in the 14 months I worked there. It was very inconsistent and every time I learned something I would almost immediately have to learn it a new way. My co-workers were nice and friendly. The hardest part of the job is that it can be boring with not a lot going on and you need to find something to keep you busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is when there is a lot going on and you feel useful and reliable.

Comment – June 13, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please know that we will be taking it into consideration during our effort to constantly improve. We appreciate the time you spent with us and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Fun workplace for those who love animals
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 25, 2016
At Pet Supplies Plus, your day is 100% petcentric, focusing on pretty much everything animals. If you love pets and find passion in helping neighbors love their pets too, this job is for you. My team, personally, is a great bunch of people an we all do hang out after work sometimes. Management is a lot of fun too, they do care a lot about you. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some antsy neighbors, but really, everything else is great!
Pros
You basically get paid to play with pets
Cons
hard to move up

Comment – September 23, 2016

This is definitely a place for pet-lovers, that’s certain! It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoy your work and your fellow team members. Having a close-knit team that works together positively and management that cares about that team makes all the difference in having a wonderful store. We’re so glad to have read your review. We’ll share it with leadership so they can see your wonderful feedback! Thanks for your continued support!

Great work enviornment
Animal Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marlton, NJSeptember 2, 2016
Great job with super friendly staff. Fantastic management and a great company. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the animals and the different customers that come in.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
NONE

Comment – September 23, 2016

We're so glad that you're enjoying your time as part of our team. We appreciate your support and look forward to our continued work together.

2.7