Pet Supplies Plus

Pet Supplies Plus Employee Reviews

Fun Place to Work in the Beginning
Groomer (Former Employee), Beavercreek, OHMay 16, 2015
Pros: Family feel among staff when building stores
Cons: upper mangement has unrealistic expectations and pushes them on down the chain
I loved working at PSP for about the first 6 months of my year with the company. Unfortunately, with management changes and the company pushing for quantity over quality, it was no longer the place for me.

I loved working with the animals and my coworkers, however we were not provided with all that we needed to properly care for the animals (ex. no UV lighting in the cages for the reptiles that required it for survival like chameleons and bearded dragons). Upper management did not understand how stores were run day to day and had unrealistic expectations.

PSP was not ready to step into the grooming market and is ill prepared in many of its locations to support grooming needs and realities. I truly miss working with the customers and those few great coworker relationships, however the work you're expected to put in for the pay, just doesn't end up in your favor.

(I worked at Petsmart as well, and PSP does compensate better in the grooming department than Petsmart does. I will give PSP that at least). $10/Hour or 40% Commission whichever is greater. But you are expected to commission out even though they refuse to advertise for their salons and groomers.
Fun environment, homey feeling.
ANIMAL CARETAKER/ CASHIER (Former Employee), San Antonio TXMay 14, 2015
Pros: Good hours
Cons: Low pay
Truly loved working here and still miss it. Customers knew my name and I created personal connections with our regulars.

May 19, 2015

We can't thank you enough for truly getting to know and providing a wonderful experience for our neighbors. We hope you'll stop by if you're ever nearby!

Great people, Bad work
Retail (Former Employee), West Chester, PAMay 11, 2015
Pros: Great people. Interaction with animals
Cons: Management, Under-payed, overworked
I loved the animal owning culture that surrounded the job and its people but the management and work load, for the pay, was not at all reasonable. Certain managers were a struggle to work with and the work-load given to us would have been split among three people at a regular store. Overall it was a education experience and I'm glad I worked there.

May 19, 2015

We're glad you chose to join the team at Pet Supplies Plus. We're thankful for your service and wish you luck in your future endeavors. We hope you find the perfect fit.

Awesome place to work
Stocker (Former Employee), Detroit,MiMay 7, 2015
Pros: Christmas bonus, and animals
Cons: no breaks, u can eat tho
its a cool place to work by alota of the things they ask you to do is annoying but it compensates by having alotta animals and fish

May 19, 2015

We have to agree! Animals are a huge perk of the job! We really appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. Would you mind emailing us at onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com? We would like to better understand your concern regarding breaks, so that we're able to improve the work environment for our current team members. Thank you again!

Was a great place until the franchise sold to corporate
Store Manager (Former Employee), PennsylvaniaMay 6, 2015
I was a store manager. When it was owned by a franchise everyone loved thier job and the owners. You got paid very well and was appreciated all the time. The turn over rate was very low. Corporate came in and treated you like a number. Then fired 6 female managers in less then a year. With that and the amount of people who quit because they were so unhappy, their turnover rate is so high now. They don't care about the pet as long as they make money

May 19, 2015

We're so sorry to hear of your poor experience at Pet Supplies Plus. Thank you for taking the time to provide your evaluation. As we move forward, we want to assure you that the well-being and satisfaction of our team members, animals and neighbors are our top priorities.

Productive and easy-going atmosphere
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee), North Canton, OHMay 3, 2015
During a typical day I would stock shelves, feed and clean animals and help customers. I learned aa lot about the retail side of things and the people I worked with were amazing. The hardest part was that I had to deal with all kinds of animals. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the frequent customers and building different relationships.

May 19, 2015

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We're so glad Pet Supplies Plus was an educational and enriching experience for you as you entered the exciting field of retail. We hope you'll stop by and say hi if you're ever in the area!

It is really nice to work with people and pets everyday
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), ohioApril 23, 2015
Pros: working with pets everyday
It is really nice to work with people and pets everyday. You will gain a lot of knowledge in proper nutrition for animals. There are many different avenues to take in this career path. My favorite part of the job is when people come in with new puppies, you get the benefit of setting them up right from the beginning,

May 5, 2015

…and then watching them grow into beautiful adult dogs! We can't help but to share your enthusiasm for being a caring resource for our neighbors and their pets! We appreciate you taking the time to review your career at PSP. We look forward to many great shifts to come!

Good place to learn but not to stay!
Store Director (Former Employee), Richardson, TXApril 23, 2015
Pros: Able to learn the ins and outs of retail operations from the ground up.
Cons: Horrible benefits and upper management never communicates unless its negative.
Mentality has changed from a small independent feel to "big box" thinking. No performance evaluations or reviews in the last 3 years. Communication between upper level management is very confusing. I learned a lot while I was employed with this company. But unless you are just looking for experience in this career field I would avoid at all costs.

May 5, 2015

First of all, we want to say we are grateful for having the opportunity to introduce you to a fulfilling career in retail. And, though it sounds like we were not a long-term fit for you, we are so thankful that you have shared your concerns with us. It will help us and our franchise owners grow both as business owners and managers. We wish you luck as you pursue new endeavors.

Review
Cashier (Current Employee), Canton, OHApril 22, 2015
I love my job at pet supplies plus and everything I do to help our neighbours, however there are things higher up in the company that I do not agree with. I am starting to feel more like a number and less valuable at work. Also, I do not like the way our raises work. I understand it is important to know our products and how to help people, but I think we should be given raises based on our customer review and interaction, being on target with goals, working hard and showing a positive attitude.

May 5, 2015

First of all, thank you for your review. We love having you as a team member at our Canton PSP! Your feedback on our compensation package is valuable as we constantly work to make Pet Supplies Plus the best place to work. If you would feel comfortable, we'd love to have you email us at onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com, so that we can better understand how we can make you feel as appreciated as you are. Thank you.

Great Job, Rough management
Sales Associate, Cashier, Small Animal Caretaker (Former Employee), Centreville, VAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Good work, fun sales, dogs!
Cons: Bad corporate managers
Direct supervisors were awesome, but upper management left something to be desired.
Left the job when management changed and the entire work environment became lackluster and started losing customer.

May 5, 2015

We appreciate your feedback, and want you to know we will be passing it along to the Centreville franchise owners to improve the working environment at the store. We appreciate your service to Pet Supplies Plus, and wish you luck as you pursue your new career.

Cashier (Former Employee), Bloomfield Hills, MIApril 18, 2015
I enjoyed working at Pet Supplies Plus, I loved working with the animals. This job prepared me for more of the career lifestyle and prompted me to be more fluent with my work.

May 5, 2015

Wow, we're so glad to hear that Pet Supplies Plus was the launching point for your career! We're so fortunate to be able to supply our neighbors with what they need for their best friends. Working with them and their pets never fails to fill our hearts with joy. Best wishes for continued success in your new career!

Started off as a good job but NO potential for raises or advancement
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee), West Seneca, NYApril 14, 2015
Only a great job for young students. Not a job for someone who has real bills to pay. Customers were awesome and seeing their pets and helping them was the best part of the job

April 23, 2015

Thank you for your time as a team member at PSP! We appreciate the countless hours you spent helping our neighbors choose the right pets and products for their families. Thank you as well for your feedback on compensation. We want you to know we've passed it along to Corporate for consideration.

Great team with shared passions
Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 12, 2015
Pros: Great environment, good people
Cons: No benefits and low pay
A typical work day at Pet Supplies Plus consists of a team of 3 to 4 co-workers. As a manager i come and open the store at 7:00 am and complete all the morning office tasks before my employees arrive at 8:00 am. I usually write down several lists of tasks for myself and my employees need to complete before the end of the shift. After completing deposits and updating the office computer i can start ordering our products for inventory. Certain days i have to order from 3 to 6 distributors which takes up most of the shift. While doing so, i need to supervise my employees and make sure they are completing their daily tasks i have assigned them. During my shift i make it a point to establish exceptional customer service and expect the same from my employees. I enjoy working for this company as we all share the same passions and values and strive on selling better products for people's pets. However, the hardest part of the job is the compensation for the amount of hours put into this work. There also are no benefits from working for this company. Overall, it has been a great learning experience that will help me further in my future career.

April 23, 2015

Thank you for being a valuable store team leader at Pet Supplies Plus! We want you to know how much we appreciate all of your hard work. It is because of your devotion to serving our neighbors that we have such a motivated team in Atlanta. We appreciate your feedback on compensation and benefits, and will be sure to pass along to the franchise owners.

Overall great company to work for
General Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 3, 2015
I have enjoyed my years of service at Pet Supplies Plus but feel it is time to see what else is available out there. I feel that it's a good time for a change and want to keep my options open. The stores have a great atmosphere and friendly employees and a great over-all culture.

April 23, 2015

Thank you for your years of service with Pet Supplies Plus! We are lucky to have such a dedicated store team leader, who always places the needs of our neighbors and potential of our team above all. We appreciate you sharing your experience with others who are looking to join our team.

bad place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Exeter, PAMarch 31, 2015
since the company sold back to corporate it is not a nice place to work co workers were aweful. if you didnt order right it was your fault. never taught a person how to do the correct orders.

April 6, 2015

Thank you for reviewing Pet Supplies Plus. We appreciate your feedback on our work environment and training programs.

Alright job, select few "good to work with" employees
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee), Hermitage, PAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Fun select co-workers, easy tasks
Cons: Too tolerable for slacking co-workers, Picking up a lot of slack
Typical day working here isn't too bad. Tasks are easy but time consuming. I have learned a lot at this job in a lot of animal information on any animal we carry, tons of pet products and specifics on certain areas that require for in debt knowledge of animals. As well with being on stock with unloading truck and stocking shelves, being a cashier, taking care of any animals, and properly closing the store to the full requirements (sweeping, mopping, straightening, taking out trash, ext). Management is okay in some areas, for order based and getting store related such as getting in product or animals and keeping up to have product is on key, but to the management consequences on fults from employees is very unnoticed in my opinion. Said before a select of co-workers are fun and enjoyable to work with some others not as much unfortunately. Which leads to the hardest part of the job. This job is easy, what makes it hard is the lack of discipline in some of the employees who do not fulfill their duties when on the clock. This job falls on a team effort so when one employee does not complete their tasks correctly or non correctly it is left for the other shift to take over. I say non correctly because this has been a major issue just in the last couple months where basic tasks are not getting done in a timely manner, and they are being poorly done. Which it is all put onto my hands along with a co-worker that may or may not be on staff at the time. Which doing the tasks is not hard in any way its just trying to do my tasks along with the handful of the other shifts tasks can be a – more... little frustrating considering they're getting paid for me to do their tasks and no consequences has been effective if any has even been applied, which is unfair in my opinion. Other than that, I try to make the best of my workday and I am generally a very cheerful person still manage to get through the day and do what I can and be my best at it. When given the times with the co-workers i enjoy working with makes the job enjoyable even with the non-effective consequences. In my opinion once more, if I were in more power in management I would have a more strict tolerable level for scenarios such as these to make sure I don't over work my loyal employes and keep the employees that need some better training to work their weight. Doing so would keep peace with the work place and not have angry employees. From experience I know future employees would highly appreciate it. – less

April 6, 2015

Thank you so much for your candid review of our Hermitage Pet Supplies Plus. We're glad to hear you've officially reached pet expert status! We also want you to know that we value your feedback on the workload distribution in your store, and will be speaking with management to ensure the team is all performing at our high, neighborly standards.

Awesome
Store Set Up/Merchandiser (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MIMarch 26, 2015
Super Awesome A typical day consist of assisting customers but with hard work and education the company is more than willing to promote from within itself.

April 6, 2015

Wow, thank you for the kind words! We really appreciate your service to PSP, and your continuing support!

Fun work place
Store Manager (Current Employee), Marietta, GAMarch 17, 2015
Hands on fun with animals , and very social with customers.
I have learned so much from managing and working my way up to Store manager.

April 23, 2015

Thank you being a respected store team leader with Pet Supplies Plus! We are so happy to have had the chance to help you grow your career, all the while watching you provide exceptional service to neighbors in Marietta. Keep up the great work!

We operate like a family.
Head Cashier (Current Employee), Shelton, CTMarch 14, 2015
My original crew is not there anymore so things have changed over the years. The company itself is not set up very well. There is no HR department. There is some room for advancement but not much. They will move you around to other stores if need be. My Management team is probably one of the better ones to work for in the 10 CT stores. All together the company does not treat their employees very well.

March 25, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your experience at Pet Supplies Plus. We are concerned to hear that you feel team members are not being treated well. Would you mind emailing us at onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with more information? We want to make sure that our entire team feels respected and appreciated as we work to provide neighbors with quality service and great products.

Good, growing company
Key Holder and Cashier (Former Employee), Sandusky, OHMarch 8, 2015
Pros: fun, pay raise opportunities
Cons: company should educate employees
The job was overall very enjoyable. I loved working the animals, and helping the owners become more knowledgeable. Being a specialty store, employees must be acquainted in what they are selling, even though it's an entry level job. The hardest part of the job was self-teaching the facts of animal, reptile, fish and all related products, to ensure customers receive full, honest service. Management was weak before the company became incorporated. My co-workers were friendly, but focused too much on drama.

March 25, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. While we do require animal care and product education training, it's helpful to know that you feel it is being inadequately executed at your former store. We appreciate the time you took to leave a review. It's definitely going to help us improve the neighbor and team member experience going forward. Thank you for your service! We hope to see you in the neighborhood soon.

1 2 3 4 5

About Pet Supplies Plus

Pet Supplies Plus is the largest franchised pet supply retailer in the nation. We are a trusted and respected company with over – Read more

Pet Supplies Plus Salaries