Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Typical retail
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Berea, OHNovember 23, 2016
Pet Valu was not anything noteworthy. It was a simple customer service job, paid minimum wage, no benefits and no overtime. Very simple job; handling cash, cleaning, stocking shelves.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
very poorly run company
Ok work as a part time job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Flourtown, PANovember 13, 2016
This is a good starting job for anyone who likes pets and providing strong customer service. Good team culture but no real room to build a career,
Pros
Nice Team Culture, Easy work
Cons
Upper management, company procedures
Overall I wouldn't go back
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cromwell, CTNovember 8, 2016
This company may have good intentions, and genuinely care about the customers and solving their problems, but I was uncomfortable because I was under a lot of pressure to have every sale reach a certain amount, diagnose problems like a vet, and come up with ways to get each and every dollar out of each customer. I was expected to practically harass every customer who came in and the one time I wanted to purchase a few treats for the pets I have, my manager said, "That's not all you're going to purchase, right? Because we all make sacrifices here." That was so offensive I left a few weeks later. Other than that, the pay is good, hours were good, and my fellow coworkers were nice.
Pros
Good wages, interesting work
Cons
aggressive sales expectations
Unenjoyable retail job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gillette, NJOctober 19, 2016
Upper management watches the security cameras while you work. If you aren't doing enough in their eyes, you will be written up. Management is young and inexperienced. 22 year olds should not be managing stores by themselves. The inexperience shows. Expiring food wasn't ever labeled on time, items would be moved so frequently that even the sales associates couldn't keep up, and you work alone most of the time, with barely any customers in the store.
Pros
Sometimes dogs come into the store
Cons
Inexperienced managers, no customers, disorganized
Good for animal lovers
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Easton, MDSeptember 13, 2016
A typical day was good. The only down fall was co workers would talk about other or do things that affected the entire store. I loved working here but I got fired for a dumb reason.
fun job, poorly ran.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 8, 2016
I love the job for the customers and the actual job part. I loved be team leader and able to help everyone. I didnt like that we had new head corporate leaders almost every week. That effected our stores progress greatly. Always changing how we are to do things. Basically every store is always confused and has to call eachother to figure out what was going on.
Pros
i got to work with animals and it was fun
Cons
poor corporate managment
Decent PT job while in college
SALES, CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDAugust 29, 2016
I worked here briefly while I stayed on campus at college. Most of the staff were pleasant, however there was some drama. Management was decent. The staff there were all PT except the manager and there wasn't really room to advance in that particular store. Personally, it was a decent job to have to earn some extra cash while I was away from home.

Hardest part of the job was truck day. Two or three people had to unload three to four pallets of products stacked over 5ft tall. It was exhausting. Also, there would only be one person working in the store and closing from like 6-9pm, which was scary.

The best part about the job was being able to interact with customer's pet and informing them on the best products for their pets. Also, I had to take numerous courses to learn about different pet nutrition and I was able to use it to my advantage for my own dog along with family/friends pets.
Excellent Company to work for
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia County, PAAugust 10, 2016
I have been in retail for 20 years. Pet Valu Inc is the best company I have ever worked for in the retail industry.

Excellent opportunities for advancement, upper management is very involved and willing to help at the store level. While privately owned, each manager is encouraged to run their store as their own business.
Cons
Work/Life balance is not what it should be for middle management.
Very Educational
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Perry Hall, MDJune 30, 2016
I enjoyed the atmosphere there i love animals and that was a different type of field for me cause i was always used to working behind a desk i loved working wit the customers and meeting new people and being able to help them find the best product for there pet
slow paced, typical retail, fun, friendly
Key-holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJMay 27, 2016
Its enjoyable to work with a staff you can really communicate with, management that understands life happens, and customers who trust you with their pets.
Pros
Flexible schedules, clean, friendly, easy going
Cons
salary

Want to know more about Pet Valu?

Ask a question
Imploding
General Manager (Current Employee) –  CTApril 4, 2016
Has a tendancy to email all stores with phrases such as "we will terminate" and other fear tactics. Poor upper management due to over expansion and small home office.
Pros
Good products, company direction and focus
Cons
life balance, treatment of managers, negative environment
Decent place to work
Cashier/ Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Plainview, NYMarch 28, 2016
Pet Valu employees receive minimum wage, but the people are friendly and the job is pretty simple. Overall, an okay place to work.
great customers,
Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 11, 2016
very greedy compant, growning too fast and not successfully training staff to be succesful, expectations unrealistic of staff
Pros
customers
Cons
no personal life
You'll always be alone!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marlton, NJFebruary 18, 2016
I worked at Pet Valu for 12 months and started off really enjoying it- I always had a coworker or two on my shifts and it was very engaging. That all changed once I was fully trained and able to run the store alone. I very rarely had a coworker around for more than the beginning of the shift, because I worked nights. And, on many nights, I would see fewer than one customer an hour. The payrate was minimum and for the amount of stuff I was expected to KNOW and BE RESPONSIBLE FOR, that is absolutely ridiculous.
Great and challenging position
Store General Manager (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 1, 2016
I worked at this company since I was 19. The company is certainly growing and will be huge in the near future. I loved my co workers and really enjoyed the relationships I developed with not just my fellow managers but the regional and VP's of the company. I learned a lot about pet nutrition and this company helped me excel at customer service.
Pros
Working with animals!
Cons
Great work environment welcoming every customer and their pet
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Southbury, CTJanuary 30, 2016
Unpack the supply bins while pricing everything. Fit customers dogs or cats with collars, harnesses, leashes and cloths. Clean up after dogs and customers including mopping sweeping and bathroom cleaning. Opening up the store, unlocking the register as well as closing the store and cashing out the register, Making trips to the bank on deposit day. Management was trustworthy and helpful in the work place, coworkers were very friendly and often would do doubles for them opening and closing the store in one day.
Pros
Appreciation and the opportunity for nutrition certifications
Cons
long hours alone
job
employee (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONNovember 25, 2015
A good place to work with and awesome people below management level. However, this company knows only how to value pets but does not know how to value their employees. They brag about how much billion dollar they make in a year but says they are off the budget to keep their employees even if they are doing fantastic job. It's even worth working with retail stores than the head office itself. The fun things to work here are only some of the benefits you get every season if you are either a full time or temporary you benefit from it.
Again, be careful in working with this company as they only benefit from you but you won't be getting any growth with this company especially if your manager is a racist because they will always find a way to cut you off. I am a current employee but will be leaving due to management concerns. They f*ck with peoples lives in this company.
Pros
flexible hours and breaks, working with people from different departments, goodies sponsored by other companies
Cons
management has a lot of pride and looks down on employees below their level
Fun people, antiquated computer system, upper management completely clueless!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, NJSeptember 15, 2015
Upper management is completely clueless as to the operation of its own stores.

Only one register and you need several machines to check one customer out.

One for scanning, one for courtesy cards, one for charge cards.

Erratic scheduling that vastly varies from week to week making it impossible to plan ahead.

Major overstock problems, and product spoiling.
Pros
The people and pets.
Cons
Horrible pay!
poorly managed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 2, 2015
Was fun to work for, pay was minimal for the hours expected. Management is salaried which means you are basically on call 24/7, but many are paid under 40,000 a year to work 50+ hours a week, many of those days alone. Stores have very few associates.
Very customer service oriented and you develop a nice relationship with your customers. Products offered are different and many are exclusive. Good quality products which makes it easy to sell and recommend.
Pros
fun environment with pets, great product selection
Cons
long work hours with no breaks enforced, sometimes scheduled so you didn't have an opportunity to have one. Terrible pay.
Productive and fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oyster Bay, NYAugust 18, 2015
They give back a lot, have a great mission, and great products. The customers are generally great and you can have a good time with them.
Pros
Flexible hours and good work/life balance
Cons
low pay and bad management in stores

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6