Petco Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,539 reviews matching the search
Overall a Good Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dayville, CTJuly 27, 2016
Petco as a company is great, but it depends on the team you're with on how you'll feel about them.

A typical day at work is either being slammed with so many customers you can't think straight and there's not enough people on staff, or you get a very slow day with too many people on board.

Management was ok until my first GM left, then everything started falling apart.

Coworkers overall are ok.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with unsatisfied customers.

Most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers and their pets.
Pros
seeing animals everyday
Cons
nothing really
Work experience from Mentor Petco
Dog and Cat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHJuly 27, 2016
It was a great job experience. There were many tasks involved with this job . I enjoyed working with my team, and believed we did a great job serving our pet parents and there pets. My duties involved ,sales , customer service , merchandising, planograms , payroll , mailing , register, balancing of drawers, cleaning of habits , responsible for health of all animal life, helping animals find forever homes , working closely with the Humane Society , general cleaning and maintenance of the store, water testing in the acqatic dept, educating customers on nutrition for their pets, customer complaints , answering phones , inventory , stock and warehouse ,assigning jobs to team members depending on what tasks were due on the DMV, from corporate that day , Setting alarms and locking and closing up store for the night.
Pros
Enjoying the customers and there pets .
Cons
Difficult hours for people with family's
Ok easy first time job but not enough pay or hours
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJuly 26, 2016
Petco is a good place to gain work experience good first time job. May be good for college students. Its easy to move up in company i like that they promote from within. Problem is unless your a groomer or a manager u wont get full time hours, which causes a high turnover rate. They dont pay enough and the animal care is mediocre
Pros
Works with schedules animals
Cons
Not enough pay or hours
Waste of time.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLJuly 25, 2016
I've worked for this company well over five years. When I started working for this company, everything was great. There were plenty of hours to properly train someone, there were ways to earn more money, and just overall awesome atmosphere. Now it's like petco just wants every penny it can possibly grab on to at ANY expense. Stores (not just mine) literally run off of 250 hours on average per week. That's why when you walk in there is no one usually around. That's because the store doesn't even have 10 employees to cashier, manage, customer service, do stock, and take care of the animals. They make their employees and mangers feel like they are being worked to death. This job isn't worth it. Save your time on applying for a different job. The hiring process alone is ridiculous. I get working with animals is rewarding, but the path this company is going, they'll be out of business in less than 10 years.
Pros
Some managers keep you motivated
Cons
The entire company is a con.
People friendly and pet friendly
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILJuly 24, 2016
a typical day at work included taking care of customers with their pet purchase and helping them take their pet products out to their cars.
Pros
meeting new customers
Cons
not to good health insurance
Fun place to work.
Pooch Play Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 21, 2016
Petco was a good place to work. I was properly chained and was a diverse employee. No regrets about my time there. Good management and nice energetic employees.
Pros
Fun staff.
Cons
Slow to fix internal defects with equipment.
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJuly 17, 2016
The environment itself is great, the people and pets you get to daily interact with are a pleasure to meet.
The general manager from the Store I am currently working at, makes the management look awful, and is no longer making the environment such a great one to be around.
But besides that, the staff and customer service is great!
Cons
long breaks
Productive, fun work environment, good benefits
Guest Advisor Leader (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAJuly 15, 2016
Most days had the pros and cons. On a normal work day, my duties were to create a daily task and delegate employees. Customers played a big role on a day to day basis as far as assisting with products and sale budgets. I learned a great value in leadership and creating a long time bond with customers and their families. Working with others not only helped me grow as a person but a leader. My coworkers and I got along just fine and we all worked together as a team. Our team did not let one person fall but encouraged everyone to help pull each other up. The hardest part about the job was dealing with some difficult customers or not able to meet everyone's needs due to a product not being in stock or not carrying a product at all. The best part of the job was that our staff was more like a family and we could be ourselves and had wonderful customers to make our jobs easy and enjoyable.
Pros
We received paid time off
Cons
The insurance could have been a little better
Animal lover
Groomer Asst (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJuly 13, 2016
Love grooming animals, washing, painting their nails placing bow on their ears. you get to see animals that you like but would never own.
Pros
Being with animals daily
Cons
some day was slow day and you get sent home
Good learning experience
Pet Stylist Mentor (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 11, 2016
PETCO seems to care about the animals but puts its employees on the back burner. They should focus more on employee incentives and keeping good, hard working employees happy via acknowledgements, better pay, and employee retention. They should also slow down and not be in a hurry to fill salon staff. Instead, they need to work on quality and better educate general managers so that they have a better understanding and appreciation for salon staff. Salon staff should also have to go through more certification processes, more tests, and more education. The company also needs a better HR department. One that does not retain important information or earned certifications. An HR department that does not take so long in replying to its own employees. The biggest fault in PETCO is its inconsistency with staffing, employee training, employee retention, and the impulsive focus on numbers instead of quality and real customer satisfaction. Its values are that they help local shelters and foundations for the benefit of animal welfare.
Pros
working with animals and people
Cons
inconsistent management and inconsistent moral and corporate principals
Animal Lover
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calumet City, ILJuly 11, 2016
Working here was definitely one to remember. Considering I love animals, everyday here was the best. I learned a lot from working here, as far as, how to properly handle animals. My managers and co-workers were amazing. I loved working with them. The hardest part was getting bit by the animals.
It's a lot of work but its a lot of fun, especially if you are an animal lover.
Team Leader/Customer Advisor/Aquatics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJuly 10, 2016
I had daily goals every day, goals which required a lot of interaction with the animals (fish, too). The job is a lot of work but also a lot of fun. I would highly recommend Petco for beginners who are interested in retail jobs in high-school or college.
Pros
10 minute breaks and animals!
Cons
Low staff, hours are tight. Flexibility is still great!
Overview
Companian Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Berlin, VTJuly 10, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of taking care of customers and animals. All animals had to be cleaned daily, Management included opening shifts and closing shifts, drawer counts etc. I learned my first beginning management skills here.
benefits
Okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJuly 10, 2016
a typical day is constantly on the move, I learned about different animals and their needs, the hardest part was everything about the job was hard, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all different kinds of animals I've never seen before.
Not a fun place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJuly 9, 2016
Bad concept of how they see the company treat employees, customers, pets. No life balance to job worked upper management care about 2 things and it certainly wasn't my store or employees. Dog training and grooming was there focus not people!
Animal focused career
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nampa, IDJuly 8, 2016
I enjoyed working at Petco Animal Supplies. Its a fast pace retail environment with lots of animals to love & learn about.
Not the best
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2016
Petco was at one time a company that really cared about their animals. Unfortunately, this is not the case any longer. I am grateful for having a job, but not much else to say about the company.
Pros
Handling animals
Cons
Compensation and gratitude
Easy Job
Picker Level II (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 7, 2016
Working at Petco Distribution is easy if you are organized and fast and physically fit. There is not much room to grow and it will not challenge you that often. It is hard on your body. The way your day is managed can be frustrating at times. If you are smart and need to use your brain daily to be happy, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Short days if you are fast, easy money.
Cons
Not the best pay for how hard it is on your body. Could be managed better. Not challenging at all.
Co workers are wonderful customers are great
Sale associate (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 7, 2016
My co worker and managers are terrific to work with but there is no stepping up the ladder they have made it harder to get a promotion. I took thi job because i wanted to do something different from pharmacy but i see now there is no promotions. i do not want to stay at an associate level i want to become a manager I know how to do managerial duties I need something more.
Pros
It is not a buy establishment you get some relax time
Cons
No promotions
Unpatriotic Company
Non-Con Clerk (Current Employee) –  RenoJuly 5, 2016
No holidays are given and no holiday pay for american holidays. Point system is ridiculous. other than that the people are great