Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,604 reviews matching the search
Low Pay, Low room for advancement, fun to work with animals
assosciate (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTMarch 19, 2016
Honestly Petco does NOT pay a living wage so it's hard to say that the company is good, they will hire mass amounts of people to avoid giving employees full time and / or benefits and in the end they compromise on what they call their principles time and time again and let customer's who are not ready to care for their animals, purchase them.

Cannot give PETCO higher then a 2 star rating because the way they treat animals being sold is horrific. That being said, people at Store level are great, but district will do anything for a sale, which is sad because they throw their own employees under the bus in the process and nearly never back them up.
Pros
Cute animals, learn about pets as a hobby
Cons
they hate giving raises, they dont pay above minimum wage. even managers dont make much over $11 an hour...
sorry career
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 15, 2016
when I first started working there , they cared about the animals and the employees. in the last year or so, they push the groomers into taking too many dogs and push the dog trainers to put puppies in unsafe conditions. the grooming dept being a chamber of horrors for your dog. they had so many cut dogs at the store. vet bills. druggy groomers. managers overworked and stores understaffed. I hope they close them down and all upper management loses their jobs
Pros
20% discount on overpriced food
Cons
no real raises for store employees even when promoted
Good experience with solid company
Inventory Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2016
Standard office hours include regular daily and weekly activities.
Learned about office skills including computer and cross department synergy.
Experienced helpful managers.
Hard working cooperative coworkers.
Continued growth and development in competitive market challenging.
Great satisfaction in job well done reflected in thanks and congratulations from peers and management. Contributing significantly to company success.
Pros
Enjoyable working environment
Cons
Medicre benefits
Poor management
Dog training apprentice/ sales associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 14, 2016
Very poor management, stock on any items needed to get a job done are poor to none 90% of the time, lists of tasks to do with impossible time schedules for said tasks, insufficient training, insufficient amount of employees, terrible employee shift schedules, no communication is made what so ever for anything until you mess up, unprofessional vernacular used at all times, the older managers tend to demean and belittle you in front of customers.
Pros
paycheck, some freindly employees
Cons
short lunches, full time hours when only managers are considered full time, no benefits, very poor management.
Fun job, but incredibly understaffed and under paid.
Aquatic/Small Animal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 11, 2016
As a big fish fanatic, I love my job. Its a blast being able to work with fish. With that said our store is a bit of a mess. Do to past management issues, the current managers are unable to properly staff the store due to limitations set by corporate. We are the biggest pet retailer in the world and yet there are SIX full time, and 9 total employees in the store including management. The minimum needed to run a store is 14. As a result both me and several other employees are being asked to do the work of two or three employees without additional compensation. It has gotten so bad as to force me to pursue work else where. With that said, it is a fun place to work. My coworkers are pleasant and its a fast paced job which I enjoy. Its also allowed me to work and refine my ability to work under pressure and multitask do to being asked to do so much.
Pros
Fun animal filled environment. Unique oppurtunity to work with fish. Hardworking employees.
Cons
Severally understaffed location, poor pay, limited oppurtunities for advancment.
Must love animals.
General Manager - High Volume (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day is not unlike many other retail management position. If you have good team, the daily activities are manageable if you posses common sense and care for your customers. I've learned having any sort of animal care responsibilities greatly increases the publics/social medias/compliance agencies scrutiny of how that care is given and any mistakes could potentially end your career. I've had the opportunity to hire, train and promote several folks who now have stable income and a career path. The hardest part comes from keeping pace with continually changing priorities and focus coming from multiple corporate VPs, Directors, etc. If you do not like constant change, retail is not for you. The most enjoyable part is meeting great people who really care about their pets and building relationships where these folks actually feel you care about them, too.
Pros
Sharing a workplace with passionate people and great customers.
Cons
Inconsistent corporate direction and many competing priorities from a top heavy corporate structure.
nice company
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  North Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 18, 2016
A little too much drama and no raises! A high turn over in management. Fluctuation of hours. Not consistent overall. I have a family and children so it is most difficult to manage my schedule sometimes.
A fun place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOMarch 31, 2016
It's a fun place to work and the culture is upbeat.

They never have enough budgeted hours compared to the business flow so it's hard to actually complete tasks.

Wish they paid more. The paid time off is great for full time management. The healthcare is very good.
It's OK if you don't mind backbreaking labor
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Current Employee) –  DFW Area, TexasOctober 16, 2015
In all honesty, it's not a bad company to work for...however, if you like your evenings and weekends free, you might want to look somewhere else. I mean...what can you say? It's retail. The opportunities for advancement are available to people who show the aptitude for the roles, but once you get into the department manager and salaried store manager roles, the work you do far outweighs the monetary compensation. The company is big on internal competition and constantly has sales contests for meager prizes, and associates are constantly harangued to sell pet services, like dog training, vaccinations and grooming. The stores are rated by how well they do in these areas. Their training is decent if you have a good General Manager, and you can learn a lot. The employee discount isn't bad, either.
Pros
Good training, easy advancement, fun environment, decent PTO offered
Cons
No Work/Life Balance for full-timers, pay not commiserate with work expected, itty-bitty annual raises, lots and lots of exotic animal feces
fun day but some days are stressful & alot of work when others slack & you have to make up for it
Dog and Cat Manager (Former Employee) –  Arnold, MOMarch 12, 2016
coworkers hold the store together. but they need to make their store managers clock in & out when they don't show up on time to work or even for the day but then change their time & say they were there to work. a lot of the managers are lazy & stay in their office a lot. the hardest part of your job is the truck weeks.
a typical day is cleaning & care for the animals. giving the animals their food, prebagging crickets, taking care of animals in the wellness room, opening the registers & opening up the store. you help customers that come in & answering any questions they have & answer phones at the same time if needed. if any new displays have to be reset you do that as well in the day. if it is truck week you put away the truck pallets of supplies or food that has come into the store.
Pros
great discounts on animal supplies
Cons
poor management
Supply Chain Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 21, 2016
Petco is a great place to work, with low levels of stress. Can bring pets to the office. Co workers are helpful and nice.

Management actually cares about results and listens to what you can bring to the table.
Pros
Time with your pets
Cons
Pay inst as competitive
Stressful environment
Professional Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ILOctober 11, 2015
Petco has been an okay place to work. There is a lack of communication between their management staff and employees. I learned that communication is key to running a successful store and department. The hardest part of my job is when we loose a pet due to old age, or illness. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is meet new customers, gaining their trust with their pets and having the opportunity to interact with different breeds of dogs and learning about their distinct personality.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours that interfere with family time, lack of respect, etc.
they don't care
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutMarch 8, 2016
The management teams don't care about anything other than your numbers. They don't care about your family life or responsibilities outside of work and if you cant come in last minute they take it out on you. They advance who they like and don't base it off of merit or seniority. I did my job well and didn't get in trouble or written up for over 5 years but I was never advanced while others who had been in trouble and written with years less experience were promoted or sent to grooming school. Groomers took all the bathers appointments then didn't back up the bather when they go in trouble for lack or clients. I will stay far away from this company from now on.
Pros
discounts, doing what I loved
Cons
most everything else
Love the job; can't make ends meet
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 21, 2016
If you love animals and want to help them, you may very well love this job. If you are living on a single income or if you have bills to pay off, you may not be able to survive on the pay.
Pros
lots of pets, 401K, fun culture, lots to learn
Cons
cleaning up lots of animal waste, benefits are poor, stressful
Petco
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakwood, OHDecember 15, 2015
I worked at Petco for almost a year. I enjoyed working there while I did, and most of my coworkers were understanding of my decision to pursue another career choice. Even though I did enjoy working for Petco, I was a little let down when I was told from multiple managers that I would advance into management, and then they brought someone else in. I can honestly say if I had been moved into management, I'd be a long term employee, but I have decided to pursue a different career path at this time. As a company, I like Petco's values and think it's a great store to shop at.
Great ideas, Amazing concepts but no clear directions on solution for execution
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 31, 2016
Associatss have Low salary, high demands, and little to no training time. Sales dropping so hours fall along with training hours. Pushing online sales by not telling customers that we match online price with items in store. Company is starting to panic about Dog Training and will start giving Notices on replacing store leaders if not meeting sales budget even though they are not realistic to stores location. Company likes to say what you are not doing right and threaten you. Things can be great or terrible depending on your districts leaders ability to lead under the guide lines of the company and not make up the rules as they go along.
Pros
helping customers develop great connection with there pet
Cons
corporates lack understanding of stores, Santas Visits a joke
If you have no other option
Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, ILSeptember 9, 2016
this was the worst job I have ever had, boss was Enraged all day every day and treated everyone horrible. She sat management down and told us to F off. Nothing was ever done by policy truth be told I should have quit shortly after management changed. They don't care about the animal's, they care about the money. P and P was a joke and everyone was kept in the dark by gossip. Boss played favorites and treated management like worms. I could keep talking but you get the idea. This company gets a -6 from every aspect.

Customers were great! Total common interest with Animal people obviously! I wish there was less disconnect with corporate and the people that work for the company.

Don't get me wrong their are associates that really do care about the animals and customer service. But not allot
Pros
discounnt
Cons
everything else
Petco
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAAugust 23, 2016
A typical day for me at work is to come to work on time and start working on what needs to be done in each section when your done with section you start doing another section like take the trash out and organize

What i learned at Petco is that you have to have a smile on your face everyday that you come to work greet people ask the cashier if they have any go backs to put away

The Management there at Petco are really nice and sweet

My Co-workers at petco are nice they ask you if your doing okay and if they need any help with anything

Im a hard learn and willing to learn anything new that comes my way i am willing to take the time to organize the shelves clean the bathrooms and do anything that the manager ask me to do i have a positive attitude i also like to experience more in any company that im willing to work in
Cons
Short Breaks
best job I've worked
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Montrose, COSeptember 6, 2016
Being a groomer at petco for over 2 years now, I have come to find when it comes to grooming, if you are a likeable person and work hard, you can make very good money. Money is based partly on hourly and partly on commission so if you make what the company expects of you, you can make over $2000 a month. Both the people, and the pets that I work with make this job, a job that would be hard to leave. The employees are friendly and the managers have your back when you are dealing with frustrating customers. The pto is amazing. They gave me 137 hrs of pto my first year at petco! Insurance is also very affordable and offers a lot to all full time Petco employees. Having that said, I should note that it seems to be only small towns where groomers have the highest pay and most opportunity.
Pros
high pay, pto, insurance
Cons
hard work
No training, poor pay, great staff
Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 20, 2016
After six months I've completed no training and have no hopes of getting any. Even learning on the job is tricky because I'm still the new guy and don't get to try new things. Corporate only allows a certain number of payroll hours per store so there is no time to do structured training or to shadow an experienced associate. Lost employees aren't being replaced (thank corporate again) so staffing is very thin. Looks like new owners want to show a big profit before selling again, but customers aren't happy when they have to wait in line to be helped with a fish or a bark collar. I got hired over other applicants because I have a lot of experience with animals, yet they pay me minimum wage. Hours are low unless someone needs time off. Coworkers are wonderful and so are the animals.
Pros
Animals, coworkers, stable work policies
Cons
Few hours, low pay, no training