Petco Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,447 reviews matching the search
Great if you want to see dogs
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAApril 28, 2016
I was actually really excited for this job when I applied, a year later... don't work here. Actually, don't even bring your dogs here! The facilities were always disgusting and we constantly ran out of supplies. Since we can't muzzle I was taught to choke dogs so that was a fun experience. The pay wasn't great and while I could have made more if I had more dogs, since this was a corporate job I wasn't allowed to do things like offer discounts or free upgrades to get more customers. Some of the managers were pretty good but for the most part people who work there don't enjoy their job so that definitely rubs off after a while. Also if you aren't already trained expect to drive 2 hours away 3+ days a week to be trained. And don't forget to bring pepper spray because the motel they let you stay in will be terrifying.

With all that in mind I did love the work itself. I loved being able to work with dogs and help them feel better. You know... after I got over the fact that I almost cut off its ear because my equipment was dull and my boss refused to have anything sharpened or fixed.
Pros
Get to see cute pets most days
Cons
Basically everything else
Lots of physical labor, but the animals make it worth while.
Dog and Cat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COApril 25, 2016
 Performed daily procedures of payroll, register management, and cash drops
 Achieved department goals for sales, gross margin, merchandise shrinkage, and inventory levels
 Provided associate training and guidance to ensure the best possible customer service experience
 Executed weekly NPS customer callbacks to consistently improve department goals
Horrible place
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOApril 22, 2016
I was a pet stylist at the St. Joseph MO store. Horrible management throughout the entire company. One minute you're in good and the next they are writing you up for the littlest things. I worked there for a year and have never been happier to leave and groom somewhere else. Soooo much drama and lies and there is NO money in the grooming salon there. Totally not worth it.
Learning Experience
Pet Groomer and Handler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 20, 2016
Our manager was handling an emergency situation in her life; therefore I took on her responsibilties.

Position: Dog bather and groomer, responsible for opening and closing shop

I advanced from dog bather, to dog groomer, then to handler.I received a variety of certifications and awards.

I learned that things need to be done, no matter the situation. I also learned how to handle customers with their concerns for their animals.

I enjoyed working with animals and taking care of them: bathing, drying, grooming, training, and over all responsibility of their health and well-being.

The managing over all during my employment was in a transition; there were issues with employees steeling and there tended to be favoritism.

I also learned to stand for what I believed what right and just.
good work Enviromant
Dog and Cat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
I enjoyed working with the staff and seeing all the customers dogs that came in. enjoyed planning events and attending them with other animal lovers
Pros
the pets
Cons
cat hair
Good learning environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 19, 2016
A Petco a typical day including feeding of the animals, cleaning their habitats, working with customers, answering customer questions, and helping them through the checkout process. There at Petco I learned about the animals and I learned how to work the cash register. Co workers were easy to talk to and while management was often dysfunctional most of them were caring. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the time constraints. What I enjoyed most was working with the customers to help make both them and their companions to be happy.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
time constraint
Gathered a lot of experience
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIApril 18, 2016
I did everything from sales to register, cleaning, stocking, and animal handling, feeding, medicating, and habitat maintenance. I also became not only the Lead Dog Trainer for my store but also trained for other Petcos and trained new Dog Trainers as Dog Trainer Mentor for my district. I learned vast amount about customer service and job organization. I enjoyed being able to teach people about their animals and learn even more from fellow staff about their respective fields of knowledge.
Part Time/seasonal position
Usage of a Pressure Washer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 17, 2016
I learned how to use a pressure washer, worked with no supervision. I didn't find anything hard about this job. I enjoyed all of the physical work that was involved.
A company in sharp decline
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  DC, DCApril 17, 2016
The customers and pets are what is rewarding in this job. Over the last 5 months the massive breakdown of corporate structure has sent shock waves through the company. What was once an innovative and progressive company, now shows signs of "circling the wagons" and just trying to hold onto market-share. The corporate layoffs have sent lower level management into complete darkness as every manager is essentially fending for themselves.
Pros
Easy admin duties
Cons
Complete lack of direction and corporate structure, Managerial support is poor at best
Disorganized, High stress and low motivation environment
Inventory Management (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 15, 2016
Upper level management is extremely disorganized, making individual roles within the company confusing. Policies seem to change according to which manager you speak to. There is also an extreme lack of personal responsibility at Petco with little to no chance of internal promotions.
Cons
Lively environment with active custoemrs
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAApril 14, 2016
Everyone there enjoys working with animals as much as the next person, and with that attitude we are all able to work as a unit and solve each individual customer's problems that concerns the wellbeing of their pets.
Pros
wonderful atmosphere
Productive and fun place to work at.
Sr. Leave Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 14, 2016
I enjoy my current position because it allow me to interact with the partners in a time of need. I enjoy assisting the partners and alleviate some of their worries when going on leave.
Pros
Extremely flexible. Family oriented.
Petco Park!
STAND ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 13, 2016
fun place to work at, great crowd to serve to, great diversity of workers to work with and make work that much more enjoyable
Educating and learning
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAApril 13, 2016
Daily Operating functions include but not limited to
Opening store, customer service, managing sales, P&L, Human Resources, cleanliness of store, productivity

Enjoying learning about all the different animals and how to maintain their health and well being. I enjoy interviewing candidates and then finding out their passion and them teaching them all the tasks to be able to assist the customers and take care of the animals according to their normal lifestyle.
Depressing work environment. No air conditioning. Very hot!
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Braselton, GAApril 12, 2016
The break pack supervisor is very disrespectful, curses all day long. And mentally harasses his employees by telling them how bad of a job they're doing even if the employee is new to the job and still learning. Supervisor also lied about the maximum weight that I would be lifting.
Pros
No pros
Cons
100 degree work environment. Supervisors cuss a lot. Horrible hours, ( 2nd shift is from 3pm-1:30am)
Was once a good place to work
General manager (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYApril 11, 2016
At one time I loved working for Petco it was rewarding in ways I never thought I'd get from a job. Then the changes started and didn't stop. I understand every business needs to be competitive but changing your direction every month is a bit much. Upper management had their own agenda and if you weren't on board you were out. If you had your own opinion you had better keep it to yourself I would consistently write emails regarding store issues or a question and upper management would never answer. It would take weeks before you had an answer and at that point you forgot what you had even reached out for. There have been numerous lay offs at a corporate level and down sizing within the company there's no job security. I stayed because I loved the work, the customers, my staff but it's not worth the pressure and intimidation tactics used by upper management.
awesome
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Martell, CAApril 9, 2016
I loved my short time at petco and definitely would go back and refer a friend. Compensation is fair especially if you can work fast and do a good job. Great place to work awesome environment and friendly co-workers.
Pros
tips, breaks, lunches, commission
Productive and positive work place
Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJApril 8, 2016
This great place to work. even though i was hired for stock, i sometimes got to interact with customers. I was always treated fairly there.
Better than some places worse than others
Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 7, 2016
Too much to get done in too little time with too little staffing. Too many employees have been there for too long and will never change and management is too weak to enforce it.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Death becomes routine
friendly people who truly care about the well being of all animals
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, MOApril 7, 2016
Most enjoyable part of this job is simply the amount of time you spend with animals. You will have to clean and maintain the living areas, and care for injured animals. Dog training here is perhaps the most enjoyable thing to do as a job in the world.
Pros
animals, animals everywhere
Cons
Cleaning, and maintaining habitats