Petco

Petco Employer Reviews

Good place to work with animals
Customer Advisor (Former Employee), Humble, TxMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Working with animals, helping customers
Cons: working truck with store open, short staff
A typical day at work would be feeding and taking care of all different types of animals, helping customers, and also cleaning and keeping a good work environment. Management and coworkers would work together on a daily basis to make sure every customer left happy. The hardest part of the job was working truck while the store was open and the most enjoyable part was being able to work hands on with animals everyday.
cool place to work
Distribution Center / Team Lead (Former Employee), Braselton, GAMarch 26, 2015
you come in start your working task and your complete by the end of your shift great work place low stress most enjoyable part of the day is going home
Pet loving company
Inventory & Pricing Department Manager (Current Employee), North Little Rock, ARMarch 25, 2015
Pros: 20% discount, health benefits, pet coverage if opt into
Cons: short breaks, inconsistent hours
Best part of the job is seeing all the animals. Worse part is the inconsistency of corporate policies. Corporate most of the time bends to the customer, making you look like the bad guy after only doing what your policies state should be done. Difficult to advance past department management.
Fun work environment with our four legged friends.
Department Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Humble, TXMarch 25, 2015
Pros: benefits, incentives, co-workers
Cons: cleaning up after customer's animals
My typical day of work was caring for all of our animals and making sure all customers were provided with excellent customer service. Throughout my time at Petco, I've learned to set planograms, count inventory, handle money, and care for many animals that had come and gone out of that store. Sometimes the hardest part about working there was receiving animals that were ill and knowing there was no way of helping them. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with all of the beautiful animals and their parents that came in our store.
Fun and exciting! Until recently.
Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Great learning experience, gained management skills
Cons: Upper management, pay rates
Very eventful, interesting. Pretty fun working environment, but poor upper management. Upper management not trusting of employees. Been making poor business decisions recently.
Cool place to work.
Groomer's Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Doing what I love
I enjoyed working at Petco as a groomer's assistant. I love animals so the job came with ease. I was responsible for checking the dogs in, bathing/drying them and other small grooming techniques. My coworkers were very fun to be around. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to do what I love every single day.
Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Germantown, WIMarch 23, 2015
I enjoyed working with the animals while I was employed there. I obtained people skills while I worked as a cashier. This company got busy very quickly during the day and slowed down as it got later in the day.
CYA
General Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 23, 2015
Pros: good staff at the store level.
Cons: no support at all.
Usual big box corporate management mentality. When things are going well it's all high fives and smiles and if the smallest thing goes wrong you'll be the first to get tossed overboard. People are very disposable. Just make sure to CYA
We were like our own little family
BATHER (Former Employee), Laveen, AZMarch 20, 2015
At Petco, we were our own little family. Aside from the work, we gave each other advice regarding work or our outside problems. Plus, I was working with animals all the time so I really had nothing to complain about. I was happy and content.
fun with animals
Aquatic Specialist (Former Employee), Sherman, TXMarch 18, 2015
the most fun about it is learning about all the animals and all the new products that come in. and for the most part the customers were usually easy and nice to deal with.
Very fun place to work
Cashier/Demo Specialist (Former Employee), Minnetonka, MNMarch 18, 2015
I learned so much more than I could have imagined in the year I was there. I learned all about how to give pets the best health and quality of life possible, also different training methods. The hardest part of the job was standing on my feet for so many hours. The management at the Minnetonka store is very easy to work for, easy to talk to and most of all easy to learn from. I really did love working there and had a ton of fun.
A very good place to gain customer service experience.
Pet Groomer (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: the store discount, great place to learn.
Cons: no benefits, understaffed.
Because I worked at the grooming counter I came in early to attend the grooming counter and field calls that came in to the store. If the grooming salon was slow, I would speak with managers to see if there was extra work to be done around the store (such as stocking shelves, clean up messes, and help customers.

I gained excellent customer service skills and how to work a multi phone line. I also gained a certificate in dog grooming.

Because people were promoted, many store associates became managers and understood how work flowed in the store. They were really easy to work with. Co workers were basically like family.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with customers, but I eventually learned how to deal with even the most difficult customer with guidance from co workers and managers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with so many animals and sharing my passion and knowledge about them with customers who also shared the same kind of passion.
one of the worst places i have ever worked
Order Selector (Former Employee), Braselton, GAMarch 16, 2015
the management team does not care for their employees. The management team and team leads play favorites among the other workers.
A shift at petco
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Sebring, FLMarch 16, 2015
Pros: meeting new people and animals
Cons: poor management and lack of training
As a new hire the only training I really received was from the computer. The managers I had, except for maybe one, had unrealistic expectations for employees. They would tell you in the most vague manner how to complete a job then return about 5 minutes later and yell at you for not completing your assignment as they had pictured you doing it. One manager in particular constantly talks to everyone in such a horrible manner that I have heard from both coworkers and customers that her attitude resulted in arguments on the floor. Aside from the training and management the people that you work with are often funny and unique, never a dull moment. Its fast paced and fun and the customers are almost always friendly.
Never a typical Day. Never enough hours, too much pressure.
General Manager (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNMarch 15, 2015
Pros: being around animals.
Cons: recent changes have put a lot of pressure on the managers to do more than the hours alotted.
I always Loved my job, til this year.
The creator of Petco retired in the last year or so and the new younger people in charge have made so many changes, you can't learn one thing until they have implemented another. They always have issues and don't work like they say it will, so you can't learn it, you have to adjust daily as they make adjustments to make it work.
This year they reduced PTO time and increased Pressure to be a salesman.
It is not a FUN company any longer. If you sat down and figured out the actual hours you put into a project versus what time they say it should take, you would be enormously short of hours. The People who implement these new projects should have to work in a store for a year to see how it doesn't work in the real world.

No work/life balance............
Not a Place for Advancement
Overnight Pack Leader (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2015
Pros: dogs, vacation after a year
Cons: low pay, unpredictable hours, frustrating management, penalized for sick days
Working with pets can be a lot of fun, it's true. And I can't speak for the stores, but in the Pooch Hotels if you are low level staff (pack leader) be prepared for little job security, undependable scheduling/hours, and management that doesn't often seem to know or care about the reality of Pack Leaders' work experience or what is best overall for employees and clients' pets. Many of the rules implemented make little sense and are rarely explained by the higher-ups, so they can seem arbitrary and punitive. While you do get decent paid vacation hours after a year, you're penalized for taking sick days. Morale is drained quickly, and turnover is high. If you have a great GM or ASM, things can be okay, but otherwise you're not going to be treated much better than any low level employee at a major corporation.
Just ok
Stocker (Former Employee), Christiana, DEMarch 13, 2015
Petco isn't the best place to work for but it also isn't the worst. During my time there which was about 2 years, we went through 4 General Managers. Never really had an issue with any of them. I was as a stocker but I was actually doing everything else but stocking. Mainly in the fish department. I guess you could say I was the unofficial fish specialist. Given my passion for animals it was an easy job for me and enjoyed it for the most part.
volunteer
Intern (Former Employee), Lakewood, CAMarch 13, 2015
Pros: volunteer hours
did go backs, bagged crickets, cleaned fished tanks, stocked items, did janitorial duties, helped customers to find items, trained in knowledge of products. 8 hours a day, 24 hours a week
Great staff
General Manager (Former Employee), Hartsdale, NYMarch 12, 2015
Wonderful place to work, I wish only that the training of General managers was done properly. I enjoyed working with my staff and experiencing all the wonderful types of animals I cared for.
General Operations Manager (Former Employee), VirginiaMarch 11, 2015
Great place to work however I wish they recognized more holidays at the retail level.

The animals were a lot of fun to learn about and play with.

Upper management needed to be more consistent with follow up and corrections needed.

1 2 3 4 5

About Petco

Petco… where the healthy pets go Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and – Read more

Petco Salaries