Petco Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,483 reviews matching the search
Run as fast as you can
Partner (Current Employee) –  Braselton GaMay 27, 2016
Currently employed there. Poor work life balance. No holidays off except Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New years day. Very low partner morale. Facility general manager will walk past you and won't speak. Horrible place to work. Real talk.
Petco where the pets go
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 26, 2016
My days normally included me working the cashier, assisting a customer , or feeding the reptiles. I learned how to operate the register and handle the money. I learned how to re-stock inventory throughout the store, and how to train dogs to a certain degree.
unpersonable
Pet Groomer (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMMay 25, 2016
Didn't remember my name until I worked there for 3 or 4 months. Allowed employees to talk down to other coworksers. Such as yelling curse words. No room to grow with the company. Do not offer raises or medical ins
I enjoyed the customers and working with animals.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 25, 2016
I worked with animals, cleaning cages and taking some out for attention. I helped maintain the ecosystem of fish and reptiles. I assisted customers with selections of food which would provide the most nutrition for their animal. I enjoyed helping the elderly carry things to their vehicles. I enjoyed the people and the animals while working here. The management could use more evaluating. Many times I would be the one running the register and helping customers while the 2 managers and other worker would be smoking cigarettes on the back. I do not smoke so one of the head manager would try to skip my break. I enjoyed most of this job, with the right employment I would of stayed.
Pros
Helping people find whats best for their pet, being around all the different animals and learning about them, having interesting conversations with customers.
Cons
The head manager needs better evaluation.
Making animals and people happy
Associate/Aquatics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 25, 2016
I worked primarily in aquatics, but also a bit with reptiles and small animals. It was fun to learn all about the animals, their requirements for healthy life and how to advise people to care for them. It was a busy work environment, I always had something to do and I liked that. I worked at two locations, first at Winchester, and then at their most productive location on Poplar Ave. I never minded the pressure and high-speed demands of the day, but my co-workers at the Poplar location were a close-knit group, and I was the odd man out. When I had to relocate my residence, I continued to work there, even though it was a 2 hour drive. It was at this time they decided to schedule me to close late nights then open the next morning, making it impossible for me to get a good night's sleep. I slept through half of my shift from pure exhaustian a few weeks into this, got a phone call from my manager, and was forced to quit on the spot.
Pros
Challenging work, Researching new subjects, Caring for animals.
Cons
too much personal drama among employees
Bring your pets to work
MERCHANDISE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 24, 2016
I spent a long time at petco and learned a great deal. The pet industry is filled with wonderful passionate pet parents and I am better for that experience.
Petco is a good place to work if you can maneuver the corporate world and while its a great place to learn retail and the pet industry it can burn you out after a while.
Pros
You can bring your pet to work, they do pay well and do try to make the atmosphere a fun one
Cons
Upper Management is not always aligned
fun work place
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MI 49014May 24, 2016
I liked working at Petco it was nice seeing the dog and cats that came in everyday and helping people. My opinion over all about Petco is I loved working there. Management was nice my co-works all but one was nice to me. The hardest part about working here cleaning up after the dogs when the owner just keeps walking on. I learned that even some jobs need people the jobs some people don't want to do needs to be done.
Pros
Seeing dogs and cats everyday
Cons
Picking up after them
okay place to work
Customer service adviser (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 23, 2016
I typically walked around and helped customers with there needs. From time to time I would help manager a small group of people in whatever project they were working on at that time.
treat workers well
Forklift driver (Current Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAMay 23, 2016
over all the company is very good how ever they have cut hours do to opening a new warehouse. but still a very fun place to work
Productive, happy place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 23, 2016
Every day consist of making sure all the small animals were taken care of. Co-workers were very nice, and easy to work with. Hardest part of the job was finding sick animals that needed more care than the rest. Adoption days were every weekend, which meant lots of homeless animals got a loving home.
Pros
Very happy enviroment.
Cons
Communication is key to making things move smooth, but this place has a hard time keeping that going. Hours are hard thing to come by sometimes.
Productive, fun working enviroment
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMay 23, 2016
Typical day: Greet and engage with guests; handle merchandise and operate cash register; receive new merchandise and update the store; care for animals by feeding, clean up, and administering necessary medicines; assisted guests with store – related requests in person and by phone.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
under staffed
Aquatics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLMay 23, 2016
Had really good co-workers and managers always had fun with them. Did a lot around the store, did truck, animal departments, did register, was in charge of the front end, answered phones, assisted customers.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Longer lunch breaks
Good pay and benefits for a groomer
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIMay 22, 2016
Very well compensated for my position as a pet stylist. Not much room for advancement but I get to do what I love. Store manager is pleasant to work for. Don't always get along with a few other managers but overall a good work environment. The benefits and compensation are totally worth it. The only way I would quit would be to own my own business as a groomer.
Pros
Paid time off, great wages for groomers, tips, busy salon, great clientele
Cons
Stressful at times, not all managers are good, corporate has ridiculous policies sometimes
Great company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Walterboro, SCMay 22, 2016
I loved working for this company. Animals always come first with this company and they were very focused on that. The management and staff was always helpful and wanting to teach.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 21, 2016
good environment, fun people and place. Plenty of opportunity for growth and advancement . Customers can be demanding on busy days.
Cashier / Animal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 20, 2016
Give great customer service to upset customers, and make sure all animals in store are taken care of.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things about the animals we housed
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
shaky management
Fun place to work but horrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mason City, IA 50401May 19, 2016
Being able to interact with the animals in the store was fun and I also enjoyed my co-workers. The manager at the time was not the best.
Job
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 19, 2016
Learned alot about animal nutrition and different species. Not alot of room for advancement. Got promoted to dog trainer and did not receive a raise and comission was almost non-existant for the amount of work that was put into the service.
Pros
gained knowledge
Cons
no real opportunity for advancement in company
My first job experience at Petco
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wake Forest, NC 27587May 18, 2016
I look at my job at Petco as a good and bad point in my life. It has been kind of a struggle working at Petco, because the management could be a little better. There are things that don't get done the way they should be done, or in the time they should be done by. There are many things I would change about my job at Petco. The good things about the job, is it has taught me a lot about retail and the responsibilities that come with it. With it being my first job, as you can imagine, I didn't have very much experience in the workforce; but in the time of a little less than a year, I'm training people on the register, I'm number one in donations and number one person on the register. I could also pitch someone a credit/rewards card in my sleep, I do it so much in one day. I have a very big knowledge of animal care, from small animals, such as guinea pigs, all the way to bigger animals, like Great Danes. I'm very eager to learn new skill sets, and widen my knowledge of anything and everything. I had a small setback in High School, and for a long time graduating was out of the question, but I persevered and graduated on time with my class. I took that same determination and put it into my work ethic, I'm always eager to get my job done and move onto the next task that needs to be done.
Fun place to work
Aquatic Specialist/Department Manger (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMay 17, 2016
I love animals and truly enjoyed going to work, most days. Caring for animals and helping pet parents improve the quality of life for their pets was really fulfilling. I would have stayed longer if there was better management in place and better compensation for the employees.
Pros
Puppy kisses!
Cons
no raises, incompentant mangement