Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,774 reviews matching the search
Friendly "family" work environment
Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Plover, WIJanuary 10, 2017
It is a very fun work environment. Educating customers is a big part of the retail environment. Learning on your own or from coworkers is most effective. Training at all partner levels is highly flawed as well as other marketing and higher up departments out of store are highly flawed as well.
Pros
40 hours per week max for full time employees, fairly flexible work schedules with school or second jobs
Cons
must be available to work nights, weekends, and holidays. Bonuses are little to none for management
Just don't do it.
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 3, 2017
The incredibly incompetent managers are just the tip of the ice burg. You will be way under paid, way over worked, and so stressed on a daily basis. As a dog trainer your main purpose is to train dogs, but it will not be regarded as top priority. It is supposed to take 6 weeks to train a new trainer ... but they have nothing written into the budget to give mentors the actual time to train anyone! Some folks have been in the program FOR LONGER THAN A YEAR.

Upper management does not take harassment or hostile work environment claims seriously. You will be ignored.

Just don't do it.
Pros
Work with dogs
Cons
Management, low pay, long hours, not being respected, harassed, retaliation if you complain to HR
very encouranging team members
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Throgs Neck, NYDecember 25, 2016
Working with this one team is very beneficial. They push you to exceed and become better and to do better to move up within the company. They are encouraging, positive, motivational. you learn the proper care for animals and you learn to love all types or creatures. hardest part of the job is becoming attached to animal who is sick that you cared for and in the end their sickness just takes them over and they end up succumbing to it. but overall I love this team. They are the best
My thoughts
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILDecember 20, 2016
This job is more for pet lovers people personal who enjoy helping and interacting with family who has pets you learn new things every day fun job can be stressful at times but it's worth it wen you help some one in need of assistance in things they don't know there very compassionate and honest helps the pets owners choose better quality of products and give class to train your dog we treat your pets like our own make them feel loved happy to be around us during class and we build a bond with our customers pets and them.
Pros
Very professional grate communication skills
Cons
No health benefits for health
Good job for someone that doesn't plan on staying
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 10, 2017
I took the job here since I had a background in retail and pet supplies. There were aspects of the job I enjoyed; talking to customers about their pets and helping them find what they were looking for. What I could have done without (and the reason I quit) was listening to some staff members complain about what they were expected to do....which I found amusing since they were on a break every time someone was looking for them! Bad vibes make the day miserable for everyone; my advice is if you REALLY hate your job move on!
Pros
meeting customer and their pets
Cons
other staff complaining about jobs
Most stressful job I ever had
GSM (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILDecember 30, 2016
I don't know about all the Petcos and I would hope the issues I had working here was due to the unmanagement like managers. In the 3 years that I worked for Petcos we had 7 different GMs and the last two had no idea what to do so I helped trained them only for them to turn around and give that part of their job to me. I worked 10-12 hours a day doing two different management jobs and then they said I had too many hours and complained that I could do it all in 8 hours. It was physically impossible task and I was overwhelmed and felt taken advantage of so I feel like I was forced to quit.
Pros
Good pay, fun and creative activities for customers
Cons
Horrible Management
Fun if you love animals!
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  LV, NVJanuary 3, 2017
Most cashier shifts are fairly easy, and the majority of customers are nice people. There are, however, not a lot of hours given, and it can be hectic during rushes. Be prepared to learn a lot about taking care of animals, because you'll be handling and helping customers with all of them.

The management is usually easy going, from what I've seen of multiple stores I've worked at. Hardest part of the job is simply the daily maintenance and cleaning of habitats, but if you're a cashier that won't be much of an issue.
Pros
dogs
Cons
not enough hours
Interesting Place to Work
Management (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNJanuary 4, 2017
PetCo was a Very interesting work environment. I highly enjoyed working with animals and others who shared my enthusiasm. How ever, there is not a lot of incentive or recognition to go above and beyond the call of duty. Internal promotional raises are absolutely terrible. Also the inventory system used is extremely out dated and full of errors. This made thing very difficult to maintain correct on hands and restocks.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Terrible promotion raises
Great Staff and Customers
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJanuary 6, 2017
I am only looking to leave because of the change in groomers pay, I have spent many yrs with very few complaints or injuries to be paid less then 50% and i not become a power groomer again just to make the company more money and increase the risk of injury or unsatisfied customers. Everyone at my store are great and my boss is one of the best bosses i have had in a long time but she has no control over my pay and i have a family to take care of so for the current pay for groomers i would not recommend petco as a place to work.
Pros
Good management and staff, flexible and understanding.
Cons
Less pay for slower groomers and salons.
Good place based on coworkers
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 9, 2017
typical day is based on your position.
Dog Trainers 1-9pm
Managers 7am-10pm based on shift.
Casheirs usually get 5-8 hour shifts based on the store.
Groomers 8-7pm

Manager pay: $10-20
Dog Trainers pay: $10-15 and %20 commission on classes sold
Groomers pay: $8-15 or %50 commission of grooms
Cashiers pay: $7.98-9

They culture of the workplace varies from store to store based on store manager. Either way it is a great place to start a career in grooming, management, or dog training. This is a good place to get certifications and build a comunity name for yourself.
Pros
fun people, play with animals
Cons
average breaks, long standing on concrete floors
Easy and fun, as long as your not a bad employee or your manger isn't mean.
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJanuary 12, 2017
The company is cool and workers can range from awesome to terrible. Really depends on location. recommended for any one into animals, anyone attempting to become a vet or vet assistant. Also recommended for any one that needs a very flexible schedule. Easy to move up the latter if your interested in that kind of thing.
Pros
flexible hours. mostly good workers. get to pet animals
Cons
not intrested becoming upper management, sucks if you have any type of allergies.
Very fullfilling job. Must be customer oriented.
Merchandise Order Leader (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHJanuary 16, 2017
Petco gives you a lot of opportunities to move ahead. They have many training programs to educate their employees on a regular basis. We are not there just to wait on customers but we are trained to teach and answer questions our customers have to educate and help them understand. Must be a people person. Animals always come first right along with customers. Need to greet every customer that walks through the door.
Pros
Education about animals. Fantastic vacation time.
Cons
Open 7 days a week. Only 2 holidays off per year.
I was the Inventory Manager
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Dale City, VADecember 8, 2016
In a typical day I stocked, trained employees, blue dotted for stock outs, OPened the store and registers, closed the store and handled money depostis. They were noted and kept in a locked safe. I closed all registers and balanced the drawers. I was responsible for the stock room, damages, theft , and store use records were kept.
Nothing about the job was hard. Not much joy as the Manager kept hounding all of the managers and nothing was considered a safe position with him.
Pros
Other employees were a joy to work with.
Cons
Management was tempramental and unpredictable. Tyrannical.
Fast Paced, friendly work environment with many opportunities to grow.
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston Heights, TXDecember 21, 2016
A typical day at work at PetCo is fun, yet challenging. It is very fast paced, which requires a lot of energy and motivation. At PetCo, I learned about several different species of animals and how to care for them. In addition to providing excellent care for animals, it was also important to me to have good relationships with the both my customers and my coworkers. It also included aspects of a traditional retail store, with responsibilities such as stocking, maintaining inventory, opening and closing the store, and of course, customer service.
Pros
Constantly learning new things, working as a team, opportunities for growth
Cons
Worked holidays, travel time
Terrible pay with even worse management
Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Crescent Springs, KYDecember 4, 2016
It's a standard retail job with subpar compensation. Until you get above being a regular cashier. Management doesn't care, especially above store level. You go to them with a problem and they turn it around on you and make it seem like you're the problem when you ask for help.

They're constantly adding new sales initiatives with no real support to help you reach the goals. The focus is no longer on the animals, but simply selling services while wellbeing falls by the wayside.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, low pay, overworked, sales initiative, no help
Not a good experience
Guest Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 4, 2016
Thought it would be a good job...had experience working in a pet store and other retail. In first few days realized there wasn't much "team" spirit as I listened to complaints about who should be doing what. Tried to stay positive since I needed a job but it wasn't easy, and I was thankful I found another non-retail position. I have worked in other stores and I know retail can be tough, but there was always a bright spot here and there and I had some good experiences. I did meet some nice customers and their pets, but can't offer anything else positive.
Pros
Meeting customers and their pets
Cons
Not getting help if you ask
horrible place of work
Merchandise Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  OklahomaDecember 7, 2016
Horrible place of buissbess if ssupporting a family. Management is like being in highschool all over again, with all the drama and talking trash behind the others that work harder then managment. Store manager favors the females, makes sure they dont have to lift a finger while making the males do the hard work while the females stand arround and talk on their phones.
Pros
get to make customers feel stupid
Cons
management
Loved the job, but not pleased with the management.
Small Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VADecember 2, 2016
I opened the store every day with our general manager. She was often just locked herself up in the office and I would be the only other person in the store. So I had to open all the animals and things while trying to keep an eye out for customers. It was very stressful. The rest of the team there was great though and always helpful when they arrived! Working here gave me the opportunity to learn a lot about the animals I was caring for.
Pros
co-workers, working with animals personally
Cons
more responsibility than your job description assigns you
Productive and Fun Workplace
.Com Packer (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CADecember 16, 2016
A typical work day was packaging and sending out orders customer reserved online. Checked product to memo. Cleaned warehouse and work area daily. Made sure quality of items was in good condition. I learned how to pack products according to size and materials. Management was great and great with their employees. Co-workers were always helpful and ready to help other coworkers with meeting quota. The hardest part of the job was having to pick up and package items that were 80-100 lbs and having to package oddly shaped items without making the package look awkward. The most enjoyable part of this job was it may have been hard work but it was easy.
Pros
always paid on time, always given our breaks, sometimes provided company lunches
Cons
n/a
Petco Review Summary
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 28, 2016
A typical day at Petco consisted mainly of cashier duties. I would greet customers as they came in, help them make informed decisions, and help them find whatever products they were looking for. I learned about animal nutrition and habitats, animal temperment, how to interact with customers, and how to use a cash register. My coworkers were wonderful and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was interacting with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the animals.
Pros
Getting to see animals on a daily basis

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.