PETCO

PETCO Employer Reviews

Where the pets go.
Companion animal specialist (Former Employee), Pinellas Park, FLJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: being around animals
Cons: lack of hours, compassion.
My typical shift would start at 7am i would go in the store and clean the animal habitats, followed by making sure the sick animals had there meds and were alright. Management was ok it did need some work and co workers were amazing! I was training to become management because i had some decent views on things that would improve the store and company.
fun work place
Sales Expert / Customer Advisor (Former Employee), Spartanburg, SCJanuary 23, 2015
There is no typical day, every day is an adventure. You learn about the animals and their proper care. The management is hit or miss but for the most part they have taken care of their people.
Pets and supplies company
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Torrington, CTJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: room to advance, good benefits
Cons: no real concern for the lives in their care
When first starting there, I loved the idea. It was not as personal as a small mom and pop store, but was a large scale store with great ideas. Must be fast-paced and good with customers, while making sure all animals are cared for in an efficient fashion. Many guidelines are set in place to help all this happen, however the upper management has not always worked with live animals, nor know much about keeping them healthy. Co-workers and teammates want to do the best to assure their place in this work environment, but upper management doesn't always follow along. The best part of working here was helping educate the public on owning and the responsible care for a pet. To learn to help your pet live its life to the fullest. Which also is the hardest part, like teaching the responsibility and time involved in caring for pets. The idea that pets are disposable is a hard one to overcome. While working here, I learned that my morals and ethics are not the same as this company's values. Was very disappointed to find out that lives don't mean the same as the all mighty dollar. Many company guidelines are nit followed, and it is this reason that they lose many associates who would make a difference in the lives of the animals. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired also as many times the associates don't even acknowledge that you are in the store.
Typical retail job. Lots of customer service and animals.
Sale Associate (Former Employee), Manchester, NHJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: time with animals, taught me about how to take care of different pets.
Cons: low pay, not enough hours, no room for advancement
Spent days on cash register. Other days were stocking shelves and unloading trucks. Some heavy lifting required. Lots of interaction with animals especially dogs. No room for advancement, low rate of pay (compared to other retail jobs I've seen), inconsistent number of hours. Enjoyed my coworkers. A lot of the different animals you see are very interesting.
Fun Environment full of Furry Animals!
Animal Care Specialist/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lake Forest, CAJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: work with furry animals all day!
Cons: handle the birds, which are hard to handle
This was a wonderful experience for me while in transition searching for a long term position in an office setting. Being an animal lover, I was able to learn quickly and I found my niche in small animals and became the Small Animal Specialist at my location. My coworkers and I all worked well together as a team and we created an enjoyable environment for us to work in. I enjoyed going to work everyday!
Productive place to work
SALARIED MANAGER (Former Employee), Saugus, MAJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: the people and the animals
Cons: short breaks not enough payroll health benefits too expensive.
A typical day with Petco always includes animals customers or stores .
I learned a great deal about different species of reptiles fish and mammals.

The management in the store is terrific on the district l and corporate level there is a disconnect.

The hardest part of the job would be maintaining the store while dealing with the corporate policies that sometimes aren't in sync with the day to day operations at the store level.

The most enjoyable part of your job would be observing and experiencing the passion for animal care that you and your team members achieve on a daily basis.
Decent Job
PET STYLIST (Former Employee), Chandler, AZJanuary 13, 2015
Unorganized, chaotic, underpaying, small client pool, expensive healthcare, very rude upper management. Although I really enjoyed my coworkers, they were all supportive and understanding.
Productive and friendly work enviroment
Sales Associate (CTE Internship) (Former Employee), Menifee, CAJanuary 12, 2015
During my internship, I worked on the main floor for the majority of the time. It was a fun and friendly environment as I stocked shelves and assisted customer with any questions that they had. The employees provided help when I needed it with a friendly and positive attitude.
can be great with the right manager
Customer Advisor/dog trainer (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: vacation and medicle benefits
Cons: if your at the register good luck getting breaks
As with any business management is important. A good manager needs to communicate clearly and also listen to those under himself. A good manager will not let their own personal agenda's effect whom they hire and who can get away with blatant breaking of policy and insubordination. A good manager will acknowledge hard work and dependability of their employees and show appreciation for said employee's. I can not say that I have such a manager at this time, however I have had such a manager previously with this company and enjoyed working with them.
Could be far better
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee), green bay east, wiJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: dogs, pets.
Cons: short breaks, don't care about employees, harsh conditions
I worked for this company for a year, worked very very hard, and they promoted a girl to groomer when she was only there for about two months. The required amount of time to advance to a grooming position is 6 months.

I did anything and everything I could for that company. Went in on days off to offer help. Helped in the store as well as took all the educational opportunities possible. I loved my job. They didn't love me.

It was EXTREMELY clique' there. If you didn't fit their mold, they didn't really like you.

Management was a joke. I brought up the fact that many of the employee's in the salon were breaking rules and I was concerned for their safety, and also stated my concerns for how I could improve, and their feed back was: "It's fine."

Never have I worked for a company (other than Target) that cared so little about their employees and strung them along like they were a burden.

I could've done a lot for that company, and they lost an exceptional employee.
Petco is an amazing establishment, I had a very positive experience.
Assistant Manager and Feeder (Former Employee), Mansfield, TXJanuary 7, 2015
If you desire to gain experience and better yourself in regards to customer service, this is your place. Petco is a high traffic environment, being an employee there equipped me with valuable skills that I exercised at my next job.
Fun and easy job, friendly and courteous co-workers.
Customer Advisor (Current Employee), Kernersville, NCJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: working with animals, laid back customers, fun friendly co-workers
Cons: cleaning up urine and feces all day
Feces pretty much sums up each day at Petco, especially the morning shift. My co-workers are friendly and most of them work hard and help each other. The hardest part is truck day, where its mountains of 40 pound bags of dog food that have to be flung over your head onto shelves, and quickly! The most enjoyable part is when the cleaning and feeding is over, the store is open, and the customers quietly start to drift in. Its the LEAST STRESSFUL job I ever hope to have.
What is training? Is this a job?
Stock Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: learning experience
Cons: cut hours, not reliable
I started out with setting up a new store "full time" but then it went to part-time working 3 days a week, 2 days a week, 1 day a week, and now it's once every other week. I'm thinking I'm about to be let off the job but I don't know yet. I always talk to other Stock Associates about it when I'm working and I hear that some people actually get called in but I never get called in.

I don't understand how anyone can make a living or even call this a job. I thought after the holidays that I will be working 3 days a week again but my hours were cut. If I'm working at night and closing, we may not even stay until then because there is nothing to do. I don't think the problem is that it's a new store and no one knows it's there or something else. No one can rely on this job not even just to make "extra" money or to get out of the house.

I don't know how training really works with Petco but I was only told to do computer training once and I don't know what else matters on that. I'm surprised they actually hired me because every one else wants someone with years of cashier experience. No wonder "THEY" hired me. I'll stay of course because it's all the luck I have and other than that I actually like getting the experience and meeting different people. Being around animals and learning things about them is great.
Something to do
ROP Intern/Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Atwater, CAJanuary 5, 2015
A typical day at work would be cleaning the fish tanks, stocking products, and helping customer.
Animals?
Cat and Dog Manager/Inventory Manager (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: animals
Cons: upper management
Not much to say but is a job with pets. If you like animals then this is the job for you. But if you want to advance then be prepared to sacrifice yourself and hurt everyone you work with.
meet interesting people and learn a new animal lifestyle
Department Manager (Former Employee), el cajon, caJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: free trainging on many animals and skills
Cons: needs more advancement within the store, not people who do understand the store level.
more job advancement withing store level a plus. I had so much fun with my coworkers and the customers on an animal enriched way of life. we worked close to the country, so I had the benefit of learning about horses,livestock,and wildlife. I wish they had more opportunities for me to go further within management. I could not stress that enough. I thought I would pursue a career with them, and they offered no counseling on any life uups and downs. I would be an excellent manager if they let me leave of absensce and come back refreshed just like alot of other careers do for you at in the real world. I have so much knowledge of animals technically and personally that I could probably open my own store. they did provide me with instore paid training which enjoyed and benefitted from. The holiday promotions and the fundraising are fun on the weekends when all customers and employees are in happier mood, and not trying clean all the time. I love shopping at a clean store, but I love employees that can relax and fun when shopping. like having an old neighborhood feel again.
Corporation hinders real care for the animals
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), ILJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: friendly employees, ok hours, decent pay
Cons: lack of animal care and knowledge with the higher ups
I was an ASM in Illinois. I have previously worked at 2 other federally and state licensed pet stores for over 15 years and as a veterinary assistant for over 10. The employees that worked there were very caring individuals and truly did the best they could with the circumstances they were given. The corporation as a whole is only concerned with profit and their bottom line, I lost count of how many times I was told there wasn't enough budget for veterinary care (despite animals that gravely needed it) and supplies. This is a store that sells supplies, yet many times we were unable to even supply our own animals with proper food (many times giving the incorrect food to different species) simply because the district had not budgeted enough to get us through the month. If an animal was sick or injured they only saw a vet if they had previously been sold (meaning a customer would be back to pick them up when they got better), if it was an animal that wasn't promised to anyone they were put in the back room to die, on occasion the GM would instruct us to administer antibiotics (they never bothered to consult a veterinarian in order to determine if it was the correct treatment, mind you).It was ridiculous. The last straw for me was being ordered to watch a ferret waste away in the back that had a compound fracture to his leg, the DM wouldn't authorize vet care and instead of allowing us to take him in to the ER Vet to be euthanized that evening (Friday) we were told that it wasn't a priority and to take him on Monday. Their animals are their product and nothing more. I will never frequent this corporation after seeing what I've seen working there.
Great place to work if you love animals.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Portage, MIJanuary 2, 2015
A typical day at Petco would be animal maintenance, stocking the shelves and cashiering. The most enjoyable part of the job is being around different types of animals and learning about the different types of animals.
Not bad
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee), floridaJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: work with animals, peers, dm
Cons: bonus has been cut and very little opportunity for advancement.
The company direction has changed. They are very reactive to changes instead of being proactive. Also, very limited hours per store. Overall, not a bad place to work and I only worked 40-45 hours per week.
I have a passion for animals and so does everyone that is employed here!
Cashier (Former Employee), Heath, OHDecember 31, 2014
Great! :D It was nice being a ble to meet so many new people on a daily basis!

1 2 3 4 5

About PETCO

Petco… where the healthy pets go Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and – Read more