Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,686 reviews matching the search
Petco has done a structural adjustment leaving doubts
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Place, USJuly 29, 2016
Petco is a strong company looking to stay relevant in the current retail market. This has shaken up the company in many good ways, however, it has put a black eye on the face of the organization. Upper management has reverted back to the style of fear and intimidation to get employees in line. The massive cuts in labor hours have crippled the store morale and put in place a culture reminiscent of the late 90's and early 2000's. The new structure lays out a plan for advancement for every person employed at the company but an 8% maximum salary increase makes it very unappealing.
Pros
Fantastic animal care, knowledge and education.
Cons
Upper management behaves as though it is a Wal-Mart.
It's a good job to get experiences, and you definitly learn from those experiences
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 4, 2016
I loved working here at first but over time I have found that you can't really grow in the company that much. They don't give good raises and don't pay very good for all the labor that is involved in the job. It's not a normal retail job by any means. My co-workers and managers were awesome, but policies were very strict. Other wise it's a good first time job, you learn a lot about different animals and their different needs, you learn to be less grossed out about things, and you learn about the circle of life. For future jobs you do learn to be very patient, good at multitasking and you get the customer service experience. They also require their workers to sell products and services (such as dog training classes and vetco). It's not a bad job, it just gets exhausting after you've been there for a while.
Pros
Great discounts, experiences, working with animals
Cons
Under payed, hours, policies are strict
minimum wage
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILAugust 13, 2016
The pay is minimum wage and you work very hard for very little compensation. They have a rewards program "caught in the act" but the trinkets they send only go to the managers, not the intended employee.
Working 8 hour shifts, you are lucky to get your break within the first 7 hours. Many times you will work all day, be take your 30 minute break, just to clock back in just to go home in 30 minutes.
I received a $.09 cent raise (nine cents!) after 11 months of employment. I was told it would've been $.20 (twenty cents) if I was there a year.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management, pay, lack of care for the animals.
Great ideas, Amazing concepts but no clear directions on solution for execution
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 31, 2016
Associatss have Low salary, high demands, and little to no training time. Sales dropping so hours fall along with training hours. Pushing online sales by not telling customers that we match online price with items in store. Company is starting to panic about Dog Training and will start giving Notices on replacing store leaders if not meeting sales budget even though they are not realistic to stores location. Company likes to say what you are not doing right and threaten you. Things can be great or terrible depending on your districts leaders ability to lead under the guide lines of the company and not make up the rules as they go along.
Pros
helping customers develop great connection with there pet
Cons
corporates lack understanding of stores, Santas Visits a joke
Pay and Benefits suck. Good people.
Groomer (Current Employee) –  VirginaAugust 11, 2016
I've worked at two PetCo stores, and the people are great. Love my managers "(Leaders)" and it's an overall good environment at the stores I've worked at.

The training is redundant and unhelpful. You learn most everything on the job, and then the training tells you differently. It's not real world training.

As of August 2016, the pay is being "restructured" in grooming, making a job I love barely worth it anymore. I know dozens of people that quit IMMEDIATELY. It's hard, daunting work where, sometimes, you have to work thru your breaks, and PetCo should be ASHAMED of themselves for trying to pay sticks and stones. The pay is laughable. The benefits, you could enroll in by yourself if you're a low income individual.

Overall, PetCo is a horrible company with great people.
Pros
Great people. Animals
Cons
Laughable pay and benefits.
Completely depends on managers
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKNovember 2, 2016
Can be an awesome and fun job as long as the managers allow the environment to be that way. The pay is pretty low and there isn't always much room for advancement even in large stores. The "raises" are a complete joke (9-20 cents per year). There isn't any bonuses or great benefits either. You get good deals on the products. Being a dog trainer made the job great and exciting. Just a regular associate can be super repetitive and boring.
The worst company I've ever worked for!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside TylerSeptember 22, 2016
Went in hoping to move into corporate. Little did I know that practically the entire company is outsourced to call centers in India.....EVEN HUMAN RESOURCES! That's right, if you have a question for HR, get ready to call someone who has no idea how to answer your question. 6 month probation period, and they just keep you on part-time afterwards, so they don't have to give benefits to any non-manager employee. Horrible management too. Stay away!!!!
Cons
Great work environment filled with excitement and learning
Sale Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 29, 2016
Days where long but extremely fun and very well paced wasn't to fast or to slow. Management was okay slow to give due credit in kind though, and the hardest part of the job was making sure that the animals where okay as well as customers being in high spirits. My co-workers where all well trained and highly professional and enjoyed the work as much as I did; which I would say is the most enjoyable part of this job.
Pros
Animals, co-workers, and customers.
Cons
Management, Benefits, and company wide gratitude for great work.
An alright starting job
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Delafield, WIOctober 17, 2016
While working at Petco you will soon learn that you will be overworked and under-payed. I've helped at multiple stores and the management culture is all the same. Push each employee to the limit without giving them the compensation or positive reinforcement they need.
Pros
Decent discount if you have pets.
Cons
Management forgets about breaks, low pay, overworked.
A great place to work as long as you have a good team
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Middletown, DEAugust 31, 2016
I loved my experience at Petco and wouldn't trade it for the world. It started me on the career path that I hope to have for the rest of my life and I was lucky enough to have a great set of people to work with as well as wonderful benefits, a 401K, and PTO. The pay however was simply not enough to support my growing family.
Pros
Benefits, Great work environment, PTO
Cons
Pay, District Management
Upper Management get it together
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CANovember 18, 2016
This job would be great i if it wasn't for upper (District Manager and above) management. Too much micro managing and constant threats for not meeting their ridiculous services goals. They need to realize there is only so much you can do when they keep cutting payroll and their are only two employees running the store.
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
no overtime but expect you to ged everything done
productive and fun workplace
DEPARTMENT/INVENTORY/ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXNovember 9, 2016
great employment opportunities and excellent opportunities for advancement withing the company.
management is easy to work with.
location is prime for sales.
excellent benefits and perks.
Okay job
Pet stylist (Current Employee) –  MemphisSeptember 7, 2016
The company changes policies, pay, procedures, etc a lot. I was there for years and felt like things were constantly changing for the worst. I felt like the managers were mostly not helpful, and expected so much out of us. The pay was good, but after years of dealing with things from the corporate side and the store managers, it wasn't worth the pay.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Very corporate, doesn't care for needs of employees
Nothing, good benefits
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Braselton, GAOctober 5, 2016
Good benefits, a lot of PTO after a year of service. Long hours, hard to make plans in the weekends with friends and family because you dont know if youre are going to work or not until the last min. No advancement.
Customer Care
Sales Partner, Dog & Cat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Glenwood Springs, CO/Branson, MOJuly 5, 2016
Customer service is what is most important and taking care of animals. If you still work hard others will take advantage of those things. Making sure items stay stocked and having enough employees to help the pet customers. Getting to see animals all day is a perk. They sure brighten your day.
Pros
Full time if great employee, benefits are decent, PTO compensation is good
Cons
No breaks
Pretty average for a customer service position.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKJune 27, 2016
It was nice being able to work with the animals. The problem with that is dealing with sick animals and corporate mandated cage/terrarium requirements. In some cases, those requirements were based on aesthetics and were not particularly good for the animals. Also, some species of animals sold would not make good pets and should have been left to experts in animal care. Overall it was a fairly normal customer service job experience.
Pros
Working with animals, decent benefits
Cons
Working with animals
Good pay and benefits for a groomer
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIMay 22, 2016
Very well compensated for my position as a pet stylist. Not much room for advancement but I get to do what I love. Store manager is pleasant to work for. Don't always get along with a few other managers but overall a good work environment. The benefits and compensation are totally worth it. The only way I would quit would be to own my own business as a groomer.
Pros
Paid time off, great wages for groomers, tips, busy salon, great clientele
Cons
Stressful at times, not all managers are good, corporate has ridiculous policies sometimes
Great place to work, still retail
Aquatic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, UTOctober 8, 2016
Great place to work, still retail... managers are awesome and working with animals is fun. Very few raises and when you do get not that much is added to your wage
Low Pay, Low room for advancement, fun to work with animals
assosciate (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTMarch 19, 2016
Honestly Petco does NOT pay a living wage so it's hard to say that the company is good, they will hire mass amounts of people to avoid giving employees full time and / or benefits and in the end they compromise on what they call their principles time and time again and let customer's who are not ready to care for their animals, purchase them.

Cannot give PETCO higher then a 2 star rating because the way they treat animals being sold is horrific. That being said, people at Store level are great, but district will do anything for a sale, which is sad because they throw their own employees under the bus in the process and nearly never back them up.
Pros
Cute animals, learn about pets as a hobby
Cons
they hate giving raises, they dont pay above minimum wage. even managers dont make much over $11 an hour...
Many changes over the last year. Not able to perform resets due to short staff and restructuring.
Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHSeptember 6, 2016
It used to be such a great place to work, but with all the changes over the last 6 months, loyalty doesn't mean anything anymore.
Pros
401k, flexible time off, employee discount.
Cons
Not enough pay for job description.