PETCO

PETCO Employer Reviews

Boring and not managed well.
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Albany, NYApril 22, 2014
Very boring at times. Would have to ask for things to do. Co-workers and mid managers were good.
Fast Paced, rewarding workplace.
Dog Bather (Former Employee), La Quinta, CAApril 20, 2014
Pros: enjoyable work environment
Cons: poor management
A typical day at work included preparing the salon for the day, setting up work stations, bathing dogs that would come in for appointments, and making room for walk-ins. I learned about a variety of dog skin conditions and how to treat them. I also learned about the different products the store carries and which type of food is best for a certain dog. – more... Management was not a strong point for this company. We dealt with multiple problems on a daily basis because the managers did not perform their duties correctly and many times they were rude or dismissive. My co-workers were awesome, it was a very friendly environment to work in for the most part, the grooming team even spent time together outside of work and went bowling together. The most enjoyable part of my job was the rewarding feeling I got after taking in a dog that was extremely dirty and uncomfortable and watching that dog leave wagging his tail and looking amazing. – less
Really horrible job
Cashier (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 18, 2014
This was my first job. Never knew how to operate a cash register, never checked anyone out. I applied to be a bather, yet they threw me on a cash register with little assistance. Customers of course were impatient and rude since I didn't know what I was doing. Applied for part time, but I was working 8 hours 5 days a week. They said they'd change my – more... schedule, yet never did.

Second day they threw me in a room and had a computer "train" me for about 8 hours. Learned really nothing. I'm more of a hands on person, yet I sat in front of a computer screen the entire time. Everyone else was too "busy" to help me out.

Poor treatment of animals. They have a backroom where all the sick animals go. Sick animals are in poor cages that don't meet any of their requirements (ex. Chameleon in a fish tank with dirt and no climbing branches or anything to hide in.) A vet supposedly stops by, yet I've never seen one.

They always talk about how you need to be friendly yet everyone that works there is in a "clique" type of group. If you don't get along in that group you're basically on your own. Managers don't really do anything except sit in their office.

Hardly got to work with any kind of animal, which is the main reason I applied to Petco. Will NEVER work here again. – less
friendly and intresting place to work
Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Mira Loma, CaliforniaApril 17, 2014
i joined through a school program so i was only there for a few months. everyone i worked with was very friendly and helpful to any questions i had. the location that i was at was small and never really busy so you find your self very board most of the time.
Fun workplace but fast-paced
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Current Employee), Strongsville, OHApril 13, 2014
A typical day consists of cleaning cages, answering customer questions, cashiering, and stocking. A typical retail job with an animal twist.
typical retail environment
Customer Advisor (Current Employee), Brookfield, CTApril 13, 2014
typical retail environment, with very structured environment and strong local management.
Great Vision for Future
Benefits & Disability Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 11, 2014
Pros: bring your pets to work
Cons: communication barriers
Petco has a great environment, if you're a pet lover!! You can bring your pet to work with you.

The new vision for the next 5-10 years is great and will add to a fantastic new work environment.

Most difficult part of the job has been the shift in culture while opening a co-headquarters in San Antonio, Texas. But now that the San Diego headquarters – more... is getting a new building, I believe Petco is going to be great again! – less
Simple Customer Service Revolved Job Based on Pets
Sales Expert (Former Employee), Saugus, CAApril 11, 2014
Customer service is the main focus of this company. Working at this company you will learn a whole lot about animals that the company carries. Stocking the store and dealing with those unhappy customers is probably the hardest part of the job but other than that you will have fun.
I love animal so loved the position.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Salem, NHApril 10, 2014
You get interact with other animal lover's and their pets. I also got to attend the live animals that were sold inside the store.
Enjoyable working with animals and educating customers.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 8, 2014
Pros: working with animals
Daily maintenance of animal habitats. Cleaning and ensuring there is food and water at all times. Teaching customers about the care of different animals.
Restocking shelves and maintaining a clean and safe work environment for employees and customers.
awesome!
Customer Advisor (Current Employee), Martinez, CAApril 6, 2014
Pros: puppies
Cons: they're always hiring.
Working at a small Petco makes all the joy possible. There is always dogs, cats and puppies around. And you get to interact with them! Having a small location is great because there is always reoccurring customers, in which we know on first name bases, as with there dogs. The staff is amazing, they help out a lot with providing customers with great – more... information. the management is amazing, they teach you so much about stuff you would expect only dog trainers would know, And they teach you to become a Dog Trainer. Best part of working at Petco, is being able to help knowlegde pet owners, and pets become healthy and fit. – less
Fun.
Stocker (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MIApril 4, 2014
I had a blast when I worked at Petco. The management was alright, the pay was great, the other employees were pretty cool.
Relaxed workplace, but management lacks
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Current Employee), Arlington, VAApril 3, 2014
Pros: 20% employee discount, extensive knowledge of pet wellbeing
Cons: poor management
As a department manager, I saw a lot of shade within the company. Many of the GMs were promoted based on friendships, not qualifications. They were certainly not held to the same standard as the rest of the crew.
enjoyable place
Merchandiser/Inventory Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fontana, CAApril 2, 2014
this is a decent company to work for. although it can be a headache depending on management. most of the policies are reasonable and understandable. i worked at a few different stores and enjoyed all of them.
Fun job, not so nice management.
Aquatic Specialist/ Head of Department (Former Employee), Laredo, TXApril 1, 2014
Typical day, feeding, handling, selling animals. Customer service. Learned a lot about pets, and how to handle them. Management, not good, too much favoritism, very unfair, not professional, not enough knowledge of available resources and/or animals, "Bosses not leaders", not cooperative, not communicable, too demanding of employees. Too much workload, – more... very little employees. Most enjoyable part, maintaining animal habitats. – less
productive and fun place to work at
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), EncinoMarch 31, 2014
Very fun to work at especially when dealing with lots pups and cats
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee), El Centro, CAMarch 30, 2014
I only volunteered for an average of 8 hours per week. I did not work enough to give an accurate review.
understaffed - need some polishing
Department Manager (Former Employee), MAMarch 30, 2014
Pros: descent pay, flexiable hours, busy atmosphere
Cons: under staffed, high tolerance for poor performance
typically only 3 people working in the evenings, however these are the busy hours or retail operations. Managers are often under qualified for their positions. Learned how to delegate, follow up, empathize. Co workers were volatile at times and seldom cohesive. Biggest challenge would be working around poor scheduling to complete task that were critical – more... to operations. Most enjoyable aspect would be providing genuine assistance to customers based on their actual needs an not the need to sell just to profit – less
fun working place
Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIMarch 25, 2014
Pros: ets.
Cons: nice breaks.good health care.
grooming the dogs.
take care customers.
take care dogs.
good co-workers.
handle the bad dogs.
learned everything.
nice fun place to work.
Department Manager (Current Employee), Cumming, GAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: discount on animal supplies
Petco is a fun place to work. on a daily basis you take care of the animals and make sure to always keep all your customers happy. managment is friendly and high energy. the work is pretty mindless and repetitive. there is nothing of any difficulty there.

1 2 3 4 5

About PETCO

PETCO Animal Supplies is a holding company for PETCO Animal Supplies Stores, the second-largest US retailer of specialty pet supplies – Read more