Petco Employee Reviews

Found 1,844 reviews matching the search
It was a job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HIJanuary 18, 2017
The first week is on the job was rough because I opened 10 days in a row and didn't have much guidance.

I never really loathed going to work, but it didn't exactly inspire me. My ability to interact with the animals was very limited. If you want this to be what you do, apply to be Companion Animal Department Lead or look somewhere else.

I wasn't compensated for the fact that I had Bachelor of Science in Biology when I began working here. I found out almost a year after I started working there that the high school kid who started not long before me was making more than I was. He couldn't do anything without us holding his hand and made more than me.....

Most of this review was negative, however I did meet my wife while working at Petco as she took a management position at my store and asked me out about two weeks later :)
Pros
Occasionally would get free lunch and they had a Christmas Party
Cons
Short breaks, benefits are shabby, management is good some places, terrible others
View a hair cut as art or a makeover for pets
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 22, 2017
By far the best job I have ever had. Always a pleasure to make a difference in a pet parent's life when you can help make his or her pet look and feel better. Like most jobs, there can be some tough and rough days, but it is rewarding in the end. Remember to never settle or be comfortable with just one look, when there are many haircut styles and patterns that can be done on the pet. Be creative and expand your views and horizons; because you are the worker who is making a creation. Never give up, ask questions, and follow every rule and policy.
Pros
Making pets look and feel good, friendship and bond with pets, learn skills about many hair styles and dog types, descent salary and benefits, Pay time off, and holiday pay
Cons
few holidays off, constant rule changes
I wish I could say something nicer
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 11, 2017
I agree,
Middle school all over again. Management gets beat up from above and the hourly employees end up with mean managers in return.
HR is never helpful for questions about your money and benefits. Maybe that is not an accident?

"Oh sorry you missed out on open enrollment.
So sad we didn't send you the forms"

How about the " anonymous" survey you have to take as an employee. If answered honestly you will feel your store's management rath!!
Pros
Normal daylight hours, animals with no agenda
Cons
You can be called in at anytime, and don't ever get sick or you will get points.
Petco Grooming
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10025February 22, 2017
It was always busy, I liked that the most. The dogs were great to be around and as long as we were good to the animals, their pet parents were pleasant toward us. I learned how to interpret corporate data, complete weekly progress reports, track my own progress in terms of overall salon profit, and handle difficult situations in the work place. The hardest part was trying to accommodate a customer whose sole concern was the cost of grooming their pet. While I was willing to take a hit on my own commission, there was only so much I could do to secure a lifetime customer. I really loved the dogs.
Pros
Full health benefits
Cons
Managers were slow to respond when customers asked to speak to a manager.
Good company, but not for long term employment (5+ years rare)
Director, Supply Chain Team (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 2, 2017
Good company, solid executive team, but very lean after recent large layoffs. Very expense driven from new private equity owners (purchased Jan 2016). If you're in a job running or managing operations, you're typically safe. If you're in a support role, just understand you could be part of the next wave of layoffs. Experienced 3 large corporate office layoffs in the last 4 years, largest recently (Jan, 2017)
Pros
Sales still growing in tough retail environment
Cons
Pay and benefits weak in comparison to peers
Terrible pay with even worse management
Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Crescent Springs, KYDecember 4, 2016
It's a standard retail job with subpar compensation. Until you get above being a regular cashier. Management doesn't care, especially above store level. You go to them with a problem and they turn it around on you and make it seem like you're the problem when you ask for help.

They're constantly adding new sales initiatives with no real support to help you reach the goals. The focus is no longer on the animals, but simply selling services while wellbeing falls by the wayside.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, low pay, overworked, sales initiative, no help
Interesting Place to Work
Management (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNJanuary 4, 2017
PetCo was a Very interesting work environment. I highly enjoyed working with animals and others who shared my enthusiasm. How ever, there is not a lot of incentive or recognition to go above and beyond the call of duty. Internal promotional raises are absolutely terrible. Also the inventory system used is extremely out dated and full of errors. This made thing very difficult to maintain correct on hands and restocks.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Terrible promotion raises
My thoughts
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILDecember 20, 2016
This job is more for pet lovers people personal who enjoy helping and interacting with family who has pets you learn new things every day fun job can be stressful at times but it's worth it wen you help some one in need of assistance in things they don't know there very compassionate and honest helps the pets owners choose better quality of products and give class to train your dog we treat your pets like our own make them feel loved happy to be around us during class and we build a bond with our customers pets and them.
Pros
Very professional grate communication skills
Cons
No health benefits for health
good training, good benefits
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mission Valley, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Grooming, answering phones, handling customers. I gained a lot of experience and learned how to groom. Management has no accountability. The hardest part of the job was growing and gaining confidence and my grooming skill. The most enjoyable part was learning a new skill and growing with the help of my experience coworkers.
Pros
great benefits, paid time off, gained skill
Cons
inconvenient hours, overbooking, lacking team effort
Wonderful place to work if you have the right managers,
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJanuary 23, 2017
I truly loved my job as a pet stylist at Petco! It had great benefits, wonderful staff and an all around great vibe to it. However, not everything is great when it comes to management. Very questionable in most cases (not with just the store I was working at) 9 times out of 10 the wrong person will go up to management. Aside from that I'd highly recommend it!
Pros
Wonderful work environment, great benefits.
Cons
It's a good job to get experiences, and you definitly learn from those experiences
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 4, 2016
I loved working here at first but over time I have found that you can't really grow in the company that much. They don't give good raises and don't pay very good for all the labor that is involved in the job. It's not a normal retail job by any means. My co-workers and managers were awesome, but policies were very strict. Other wise it's a good first time job, you learn a lot about different animals and their different needs, you learn to be less grossed out about things, and you learn about the circle of life. For future jobs you do learn to be very patient, good at multitasking and you get the customer service experience. They also require their workers to sell products and services (such as dog training classes and vetco). It's not a bad job, it just gets exhausting after you've been there for a while.
Pros
Great discounts, experiences, working with animals
Cons
Under payed, hours, policies are strict
Good Introduction
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Working for petco was a great introduction to the animal world. Their management needs work; at the end of the day they only care about numbers, not the employees, customers, or the animals. I learned a great deal on how to deal with animals and their different needs, much through the employees and their care for the animals.
Pros
45 minute lunch breaks, 10-15 minute breaks during shifts. Benefits.
Cons
Management.
Petco has done a structural adjustment leaving doubts
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Place, USJuly 29, 2016
Petco is a strong company looking to stay relevant in the current retail market. This has shaken up the company in many good ways, however, it has put a black eye on the face of the organization. Upper management has reverted back to the style of fear and intimidation to get employees in line. The massive cuts in labor hours have crippled the store morale and put in place a culture reminiscent of the late 90's and early 2000's. The new structure lays out a plan for advancement for every person employed at the company but an 8% maximum salary increase makes it very unappealing.
Pros
Fantastic animal care, knowledge and education.
Cons
Upper management behaves as though it is a Wal-Mart.
Great starting job
Senior Aquatic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Watauga, TXFebruary 10, 2017
Petco is a great place to get a start in everything from animal welfare to store management. You will learn many great skills you can apply in different job situations.
Pros
Great employee discounts, free lunch from vendors, amazing healthcare and benifits
Cons
Short lunches, raises after review are extremely minimal
Completely depends on managers
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKNovember 2, 2016
Can be an awesome and fun job as long as the managers allow the environment to be that way. The pay is pretty low and there isn't always much room for advancement even in large stores. The "raises" are a complete joke (9-20 cents per year). There isn't any bonuses or great benefits either. You get good deals on the products. Being a dog trainer made the job great and exciting. Just a regular associate can be super repetitive and boring.
Great ideas, Amazing concepts but no clear directions on solution for execution
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 31, 2016
Associatss have Low salary, high demands, and little to no training time. Sales dropping so hours fall along with training hours. Pushing online sales by not telling customers that we match online price with items in store. Company is starting to panic about Dog Training and will start giving Notices on replacing store leaders if not meeting sales budget even though they are not realistic to stores location. Company likes to say what you are not doing right and threaten you. Things can be great or terrible depending on your districts leaders ability to lead under the guide lines of the company and not make up the rules as they go along.
Pros
helping customers develop great connection with there pet
Cons
corporates lack understanding of stores, Santas Visits a joke
Upper Management get it together
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CANovember 18, 2016
This job would be great i if it wasn't for upper (District Manager and above) management. Too much micro managing and constant threats for not meeting their ridiculous services goals. They need to realize there is only so much you can do when they keep cutting payroll and their are only two employees running the store.
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
no overtime but expect you to ged everything done
minimum wage
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILAugust 13, 2016
The pay is minimum wage and you work very hard for very little compensation. They have a rewards program "caught in the act" but the trinkets they send only go to the managers, not the intended employee.
Working 8 hour shifts, you are lucky to get your break within the first 7 hours. Many times you will work all day, be take your 30 minute break, just to clock back in just to go home in 30 minutes.
I received a $.09 cent raise (nine cents!) after 11 months of employment. I was told it would've been $.20 (twenty cents) if I was there a year.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management, pay, lack of care for the animals.
worked well with my school schedule
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CAJanuary 2, 2017
Although management was terrible for the last year I worked there, I enjoyed the flexibility of the hours. There should be more efficient training for all employees.
Pros
flexible hours, pets coming in
Cons
bad management, bad training, lack of hours, bad pay raises
An alright starting job
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Delafield, WIOctober 17, 2016
While working at Petco you will soon learn that you will be overworked and under-payed. I've helped at multiple stores and the management culture is all the same. Push each employee to the limit without giving them the compensation or positive reinforcement they need.
Pros
Decent discount if you have pets.
Cons
Management forgets about breaks, low pay, overworked.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.